AT&T says Verizon iPhone users will experience 'life in the slow lane'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 122
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,681member
    I can't wait to hear Verizon users complaining about their network when the iPhone overwhelms it.

They both suck, people! They ALL suck! Every network has slow spots, dropped calls, no coverage etc. The grass isn't greener, it's just a different shade of brown.

The iPhone will likely be just as good on verizon with as many kudos and complaints.
  • Reply 22 of 122
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,096member
    Was listening to NPR via my new iPhone 4 this morning. I have generally not had any problems with ATT, and reupped with them recently. But, just as NPR was reading this story on the morning news, my ATT coverage simply...stopped. Plenty of the touted "bars" and a nicne "3G" indication but the ATT network was no where to be found, even for other apps. Restart, no dice. ATT just crapped the bed just as Verizon was being announced as available.

Fairly, this was the first in over 2 years I can recall this happening. But the timing was so...perfect.
  • Reply 23 of 122
    My entire life with AT&T/iPhone has been in the "slow lane" as only EDGE is available where i live. 3G is on special occasions when I go out of town about 2 hours away. And that's usually at big sporting events and everyone is bogging down the towers where I am. So at&t's 3G is exactly "stelar" in my experiences.....

Thank goodness I didn't renew my at&t contact 3 months ago! Verizon, here I come!!!! (hopefully)
  • Reply 24 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

Yeah, my money's on CDMA. LTE is too young and not available in enough areas. It also sucks battery life, though that won't necessarily stop Apple in the long run. What we can usually bet on, though, is Apple focusing on things which are important to the general market.

I know, I tell everybody that an LTE iPhone on any network this year is unlikely since Apple would not invest into making phones on an unstable network that just came out. If anything, next year for LTE iPhones.
  • Reply 25 of 122
    AT&T might be fastest when you can get a signal (emphasis on MIGHT), but I really think most customers would prefer reliability over having mobile web sites load half a second faster
  • Reply 26 of 122
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Was listening to NPR via my new iPhone 4 this morning. I have generally not had any problems with ATT, and reupped with them recently. But, just as NPR was reading this story on the morning news, my ATT coverage simply...stopped. Plenty of the touted "bars" and a nicne "3G" indication but the ATT network was no where to be found, even for other apps. Restart, no dice. ATT just crapped the bed just as Verizon was being announced as available.

Fairly, this was the first in over 2 years I can recall this happening. But the timing was so...perfect.

that is because your iphone heard the word Verzion coming through its speaker cut your connection to the networks, it is in denial.
  • Reply 27 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

I can't wait to hear Verizon users complaining about their network when the iPhone overwhelms it.

They both suck, people! They ALL suck! Every network has slow spots, dropped calls, no coverage etc. The grass isn't greener, it's just a different shade of brown.

The iPhone will likely be just as good on verizon with as many kudos and complaints.

FYI, those android people use more data than iphone users and there are plenty of them on verizon.

I can't recall their being articles about the network caving in about it, but I'm open to any links to such.
  • Reply 28 of 122
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 801member
    Is Verizon that much slower than other CDMA providers? Because around here, CDMA is pretty quick, but 3g is dog slow.
  • Reply 29 of 122
    Agreed. I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T, and I barely got signal in Philadelphia, which is a really big city. It's pretty ridiculous. I'd rather have a reliable signal over speed any day. I might make the switch!
  • Reply 30 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Depends where the are I guess. In NYC or SF, yeah I can argue that maybe verizon will be faster. Here in Houston? I'll gladly stay with my average 3.5 down and 1.2 up.

I think 20 to 60% is low. Surely the AT&T and Verizon iPhones will be compared. I expect AT&T?s download and upload rates to be multiples ahead of Verizon in many areas.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by osuhurless View Post

My entire life with AT&T/iPhone has been in the "slow lane" as only EDGE is available where i live. 3G is on special occasions when I go out of town about 2 hours away. And that's usually at big sporting events and everyone is bogging down the towers where I am. So at&t's 3G is exactly "stelar" in my experiences.....

Thank goodness I didn't renew my at&t contact 3 months ago! Verizon, here I come!!!! (hopefully)

Don?t forget that Verizon?s ?3 CDMA2000 1x is technically ?3G? but is slower than EDGE ?2G?. I think Verizon has moved their entire network to EV-DO Rev. A which is faster than EDGE, but when they started advertising against AT&T using the ?3G? and ?2G? marketing terms this was not the case.
  • Reply 31 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There is no way that Apple would offer one version of the iPhone with a fix for the antenna issue and one not.

If there is a revised antenna design ready to be released, all the iPhones will get it at the same time.

Agreed. Apple will say something like "to allow for the CDMA radio antenna, we had to separate another section of the metal band around the phone. For production efficiency reason, this has been made to all iphone 4s produced after x date". In reality, they'll take advantage of this small redesign to address the antenna issue IMO.
  • Reply 32 of 122
    Even IF a Verizon iphone puts me in the slow lane, I'd MUCH rather be there than in the "every call dropped" lane that ATT offers!! And I doubt it's gonna be slower. I dumped my iphone for a Droid about a year ago and EVERYTHING about it has been faster although I miss the seamlessness of syncing with my mac. ATT is the best thing I've dumped in years!!! I can't wait to be back on an iphone + Verizon!!!
  • Reply 33 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quash View Post

I dont understand why is the phone not coming to T-mobile. It is the ONLY reason Im jailbroken. How long is it going to take Apple?

You might want to ask T-Mobile instead. Clearly Apple is willing to allow multiple carriers in the same country to carry the phone, but knowing Apple, the carrier has to abide by their rules. If all of the current carriers (over 100?) can follow Apple's rules, then the ball is likely in T-Mobile's court
  • Reply 34 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by osuhurless View Post

Yeah... there is no GSM signal for 5 miles in any direction from my house.

Life in the slow lane would be better than life in the no lane.

I'll just stick with my samsung and sprint a while longer, since I have a grandfathered unlimited data account... when the iphone allows apps from open farms rather than only the walled garden app[le] store, I would think about getting one.
  • Reply 35 of 122
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

There is no way that Apple would offer one version of the iPhone with a fix for the antenna issue and one not.

If there is a revised antenna design ready to be released, all the iPhones will get it at the same time.

I?m under the impression that the differences between GSM and CDMA alone would require a different antenna design.
  • Reply 36 of 122
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    AT&T 3G speed blows VZW out the water by a mile, the only downfall is once you leave metro areas that speed is completely gone.

Great coverage with mediocre 3G speeds vs Mediocre coverage with great 3G speeds.

It will be interesting to see the HSPA+ vs LTE battle coming this summer, AT&Ts entire 3G network has HSPA+ already, just no devices on the market to use it other than USB modems.
  • Reply 37 of 122
    I don't have 3G where I live with ATT, EDGE is NOT fast, and the other two main places I travel to on a regular basis literally stopped getting signal (overnight) or is stupid weak, but their Verizon phones work great. I also needed to use a Microcell at home to get good signal. I will be checking how well someone with Verizon works at my house, but if it has good signal I'm switching. Signal is a concern because if they're feeding off the same towers...won't matter much and the Microcell at home is still a way better option. Hmmm, looks like Verizon does offer a Network Extender...
  • Reply 38 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I think speed is pretty good when you are in an area with good signal strength.

The problem is finding an area with good signal strength.

I am in Houston and it can get spotty for sure.

What parts? I work in the galleria area, travel to the med center, magnolia, westchase, pearland, pasadena, channelview, downtown and other areas and it's rock solid for me. That's not to say that your issues aren't real, I am just curious where you are located.
  • Reply 39 of 122
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,681member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

FYI, those android people use more data than iphone users and there are plenty of them on verizon.

The data is not categorized. It could simply be that Android users have to suffer through more advertising data being downloaded to their devices, as iPhone users are much more likely to pay for non ad-supported applications.

Furthermore, because the iPhone is a more app-centric platform, iPhone users are more likely to use a native app rather than visit a website. This would mean, iPhones are just downloading raw data and not entire websites.

Lastly, Android users have to download apps directly thru the device. iPhone users can download larger apps on the computer and then upload them to the device through iTunes/USB.

And you have to remember, there are still more AT&T iPhone users than there are Verizon Android users. I think the latest numbers showed almost twice as many. People seem to forget that Android is on all carriers not just Verizon.
  • Reply 40 of 122
    If it's a CDMA phone.. will it be SVDO compatible (upgrade from EVDO)... meaning, data + simultaneous voice usage?