Apple issues iOS 4.3 beta with Personal Hotspot, new multitouch gestures

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    The multitasking gestures are awesome!!!!!
  • Reply 42 of 77
    I wonder if the iPad Wifi+3G will be able to create a Personal Hotspot? If so I'm kicking myself for dropping the unlimited plan...
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?

That's a unconfirmed supposition on your part that an un-answered call would result an automatic disconnect.

Your mother should have told you.... "Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt".

• Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I heard a rumour from someone, who has never been on this website, that iOS 3.2 now has ProRes. What would this unconfirmed rumour mean to developers and users if it turns out to be correct?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

if that were to happen I think that streaming HD quality video might be more efficient, right? via AirPlay or a media application streaming from your desktop..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t really know, but from what I can tell an “intermediate codec” would benefit apps, like iMovie, that are used for editing. This could allow Apple to offer higher-bit video that can edited and converted faster and smoother than the competition.

Ahh... the Lateral Arabesque

AFAICT ProRes allows high quality camera codecs to be processed quickly and efficiently (low memory and compute requirements) for a variety of ultimate uses:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

I can see a use for something like this on the iPhone... or better the iPad 2 with a larger screen.

If prores video could be processed in a timely fashion on a more powerful iDevice like the rumored iPad 2 with dual-core CPU, more RAM, better GPU -- it would be a boon to on-the-spot, quick-turnaround video preparation... say news or sports events highlights.

While the iPad 2 is rumored to have 2 cameras, similar to the iP4 -- I don't know that they would be adequate for this use, because of the lack of optical zoom, etc.

Rather, maybe you could use the Camera Connection Kit to connect a high-quality videoCam -- then capture and manipulate the video with, say, iPad 2 iMovie. Then, instantly upload the quick-turnaround video to the news channel (whatever) for almost instantaneous use -- while using the iPad storage for later high-res processing (News at Eleven).

I used sports as an example -- but this could be used for all sorts of activities: training, capturing speeches; lectures...
  • Reply 45 of 77
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

The new Hotspot tethering will work great if released on AT&Ts network. On Verizon, anyone sharing a Hotspot will find themselves disconnected if/when an actual phone call comes in for the iPhone owner. Can you hear me now?

Personal Hotspot is nothing more than renaming Internet Tethering and adding the ability to connect to an AP in the same screen. Still works just fine on ATT.
  • Reply 46 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post

I wonder if the iPad Wifi+3G will be able to create a Personal Hotspot? If so I'm kicking myself for dropping the unlimited plan...

Well, I hear you M. I didn't drop my iPhone for that one reason alone. The unlimited plan. And I've struggled through this recession to keep paying the $120/mo bill to ATT. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good move!

Best
  • Reply 47 of 77
    Looks like we'll see it released with iPad 2..
  • Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Makes me wonder if these gestures could also be incorporated for a new notification system???

I really hope a new notification system comes to iOS 4.0.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Well, I hear you M. I didn't drop my iPhone for that one reason alone. The unlimited plan. And I've struggled through this recession to keep paying the $120/mo bill to ATT. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good move!

Best

I'm holding onto the unlimited plan to, though I don't need it now either. Just in case. However, I'm not convinced AT&T won't simply eliminate it about when I have need for it. Do you know if they have promised that it will remain grandfathered in for those with contnuous service or is it just a hope?
  • Reply 50 of 77
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Engadget has a video of the new gestures in action. They look awesome.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/i...-support-to-a/

Who needs a home button?

Good question. I think we can see the home button disappearing in the future. One less thing to fail.
  • Reply 51 of 77
    Too bad you need a plan for the personal hotspot.
  • Reply 52 of 77
    hkzhkz Posts: 190member
    It still amazes me that the end user still can't set a custom SMS tone and we still can't quickly reply to a text message without leaving the currently running application. Neither of which are hard to implement, neither of which would be difficult for the end user to understand quickly and easily. Why oh why is Apple leaving this out? Notification popups are such a productivity killer and bring the whole phone to a frustratingly grinding halt, it's amazing they are still stubbornly using this system. Hopefully it will come with iOS 5, but I doubt it. All I want is to be able to type a short reply without having to stop what I'm doing, swap apps, and go back to what I was attempting to do or play. I'd also like to immediately know if my phone has received and email or a text without multiple people around me getting that puzzled look on their face and seeing who jumps first to check their phone. The hilariously bad 'tones' that came with 4.2.1 aren't a solution, they're lame and stupid. Only Apple would think a six second tone is good for texts.
  • Reply 53 of 77
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    One wish I have is tabs in safari (I know there are other browsers on tha app store that have this feature) or the ability to switch open pages using a 4 or 5 finger gesture swipe instead of having to tap the pages icon, wait for the animation to zoom out to all open pages and then to select another to view on the screen. It would makes browsing the web even faster.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The way it's written either of you could be right. But since the ATV has little storage of its own, it's hard to see how third party apps could be loaded on unless they were very small. I can see ATV as a medium to make the TV your screen and your iPhone, iTouch or iPad your game controller. But thinking of playing Angry Birds this way, I am having trouble seeing how I would control the birds without some visual feedback on the TV screen of where my finger is in the field of play--without that I'd keep looking down at my iPhone. Maybe Angry Birds will offer an update to add this option--a little circle to show where your fingertip is on the big screen.

'flinging' (or whatever it's called) 4:3 1024x768 iPad apps to display on an HDTV screen via AirPlay/AppleTV would be good, but not great. i suppose horizontal anamorphic compression could be used to expand its aspect to 16:9 (like some DVD's do). whereas a native AppleTV app would almost certainly be 16:9 1280x720, and displaying that on an iPad screen somehow would require downscaling the image to 1024x576. none of these options is top notch, and i just can't see Jobs doing this.

but ... if the iPad 2 display resolution is boosted to at least 1280x900 (165dpi, just a bit better than the Xoom's 162dpi), then it could run a new class of 16:9 1280x720 apps itself. and then fling their display to HDTV via AppleTV. very simple.

that would be really cool, so i think it is what's coming with iPad 2. i expect both iPad 2 and iOS 4.3 with an SDK for these new apps to be announced at some special Apple event in the next several weeks.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thx... I got confused and excited at the same time!

That happens to me all the time

Had to admire Soli's ballet technique there!
  • Reply 56 of 77
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Ahh... the Lateral Arabesque

AFAICT ProRes allows high quality camera codecs to be processed quickly and efficiently (low memory and compute requirements) for a variety of ultimate uses:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/...le-prores.html

I can see a use for something like this on the iPhone... or better the iPad 2 with a larger screen.

If prores video could be processed in a timely fashion on a more powerful iDevice like the rumored iPad 2 with dual-core CPU, more RAM, better GPU -- it would be a boon to on-the-spot, quick-turnaround video preparation... say news or sports events highlights.

While the iPad 2 is rumored to have 2 cameras, similar to the iP4 -- I don't know that they would be adequate for this use, because of the lack of optical zoom, etc.

Rather, maybe you could use the Camera Connection Kit to connect a high-quality videoCam -- then capture and manipulate the video with, say, iPad 2 iMovie. Then, instantly upload the quick-turnaround video to the news channel (whatever) for almost instantaneous use -- while using the iPad storage for later high-res processing (News at Eleven).

I used sports as an example -- but this could be used for all sorts of activities: training, capturing speeches; lectures...

Very exciting indeed!
  • Reply 57 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

That happens to me all the time

Had to admire Soli's ballet technique there!

Most impressive!
  • Reply 58 of 77
    new iPad 2 isn't going to have a home button?? *points at new gestures*

well at least that means the border around the ipad is going to become a bit thinner.

My iPad 2 Prediction

New Dual Core A4 chip still 1Ghz

32GB 64GB 128GB storage options

Slightly higher resolution display still at 9.7"

FaceTime Camera w/ 5MP camera (HD recording)

Similar design cues from the new iPod touch 4th Gen
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Here I sit...

Waiting for my iPad to install the update and restore...

I am watching the Warriors Lakers game -- Lakers fan since 1948 in Mpls.

...can't use the iPad... feel emasculated!

... just watch & enjoy game -- single tasking... sigh!

I want my Yum Yum!

• Reply 60 of 77
    Being that the HOT SPOT has to be enabled by ATT to work, I wonder if ATT will be charging for it.????\\