Apple could remove home button in next-gen iPad, iPhone - rumor

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

So Apple adds gestures and someone assumes that the home button is being removed. Whatever.

Somebody posts on AI. Whatever.
  • Reply 62 of 106
    I would think that at the most, they'd make the home button smaller and *maybe* move it.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latency View Post

... i find it hard to believe that the home button will be scrapped since a finger gesture consisting of more than 2 fingers is awkward on a <4 inch screen.

Indeed. a lot of my phone usage is thumb only. What kind of multi-gesture would I need now that I have to start casually using the phone with two hands...
  • Reply 64 of 106
    This would suck, especially for persons with disabilities that have limited movement and use the HOME button quite often.

I hope this is not true.

Dan
  • Reply 65 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Bullshit. What happens when an application locks up? Press the power button and lock\\unlock? Reboot? That would be a fantastic UX...

Not to mention what would happen if an application implements the same gestures so that every time I went to reload the manor on my grade 6 elven dragon sword the system jumped back to the home screen.

Gestures for application switching would be great... but they can only work well from the home screen.

I tend to agree. Add the gestures as "User selectable" (optional) but keep the home button.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartin684 View Post

I lost two fingers in a boating accident. I guess I will never be able to get back to the home screen.

There will be a way to do this. Apple is behind Universal Access in a big way - can't see 'em dropping it for this feature. As I said in another post Add the gestures but keep the button.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smartin684 View Post

I lost two fingers in a boating accident. I guess I will never be able to get back to the home screen.

On the positive side you wouldn't have any reception issues on the iPhone 4!

Swings & roundabouts my friend, swings & roundabouts.
  • Reply 68 of 106
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I would like them to disable the slide-to-unlock thing on the iPad. It makes sense on the iPhone, but my iPad just sits on the coffee table when not being used. Having to slide across every time I pick it up is annoying, I want to press the wake button and immediately get started.

Great point. I never thought of that but now I will every time I open the iPad

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

Not everyone has all 5 fingers. How would they access the home screen? I'm sure Apple will think of some elegant solution in future updates.

Another good point. I can see a class action suit filed by Texas carpenters.

I like the home button because it allows me to orientate myself very quickly without having to look. On the phone, I can pull it out of my pocket and quickly know exactly what position it is in and spin it around if needed. On the iPad it helps me know where the sound and mute/rotation lock buttons are. BTW do something about those. If you own an Apple case, those buttons suck! What a pain to change the volume with those buttons.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Besides the intended function of the Home button on the iPhone 4, I use the button to know what the orientation of it is in my pocket. I prefer Home button down when its in my pocket screen facing forwards. Plus, when spinning the phone in my hand to pocket it, the Home button provides a pivot point.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    g3prog3pro Posts: 669member
    If Apple did indeed remove the home button, it would essentially be blatantly ripping off Android 3.0's new feature of no physical navigation buttons and all done on-screen. Yet another attempt of Apple in trying to catch up to the competition.
  • Reply 71 of 106
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

If it does happen it will be because of Steve's hatred of buttons.

I wonder if the elevator's in Steve's mansion have buttons, or if it is all touch? Oh wait, or voice control? Surely not...telekenisis? \
  • Reply 72 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodaxl7 View Post

I hope so! apple can enlarge the screen closer to 4 inch !!! plus bigger battery and bigger hardrive!

and don't forget the extra room could be used for a dual 8-track player. Woo hoo!
  • Reply 73 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Not a credible rumor source. It would be more believable it if came from other sources.

From BGR, it is pure conjecture. And because it is from BGR, I am more inclined to believe that it is shameless pageview poppy****.

Agreed, this is total garbage, it'll never happen. The home button is used for much more than returning to the home screen, you also need the physical button to reset your phone when it hangs. Multitouch gestures can't replace that.
  • Reply 74 of 106
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Makes total sense and that's why I never, ever buy a first gen Apple product.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I wonder if the elevator's in Steve's mansion have buttons, or if it is all touch? Oh wait, or voice control? Surely not...telekenisis? \

Steve Jobs lives in a regular bungalow. He is currently building his "dream house" but it's pretty much all one level.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danuff View Post

This would suck, especially for persons with disabilities that have limited movement and use the HOME button quite often....

Exactly.

It's not a matter of whether the Home button is "liked," it's a central feature for accessibility by the blind and those with other disabilities. It's a key "accessible design" concept for a device to have a single button that restores it to the default state so that the handicapped can orient themselves. They know that by pressing that button they have quit and returned to the home screen and that everything will be where they expect it to be once they are there.

Every industrial designer should be aware of this, it's like "Industrial Design 101".

This is why the button will never be removed from the iPhone and iPad and why Google's Honeycomb tablet designers don't know sh*t about design (the buttons have all been removed from Google's tablet.)
  • Reply 77 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That button has uses other than just going to the home screen. The reboot already mentioned is one. Screen captures is another. Probably at least another that I can't think of.

Now I could see them moving the button from the bezel area, allowing that to be reduced, and putting it on the side.

That would the the option I'd prefer. They could still have the multi-touch option for quicker access so you don't need to shift the device in your hand to get to the home button. But I think a physical button is still desirable for many reasons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraklinc View Post

So if they remove the home button what would they do with the extra space, bigger screen on the iPhone maybe?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

A 4-inch screen iPhone anyone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Best thing that could ever happen to iPhone. It simply takes too much of valuable space that could be used by a larger/wider screen. If you still want a hardware button there are plenty of vacant spaces on the edges.

You are all about to get slammed by the UI police! That's what happens anytime someone espresses a desire for a smaller iPad.... "My God, you are an idiot, don't you realize that then Apple would have to create a whole new UI kit! That would totally ruin the UI experience. Apple is too incompetent to be able to pull that off. You are a fool."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

Not everyone has all 5 fingers. How would they access the home screen? I'm sure Apple will think of some elegant solution in future updates.

I was about to post the same thing. And not just missing a finger. Have you have jammed, sprained, or broken a finger and had it placed in a splint or taped to another finger for support? Even just having a band-aid on one finger could interfere with your operating your iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Bullshit. What happens when an application locks up?

You get out a paper clip like in the old days of Macs!
  • Reply 79 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Steve Jobs lives in a regular bungalow. He is currently building his "dream house" but it's pretty much all one level.

You and I should be a comedy team. You know, I make a funny or smartass comment, and then you chime in with your perfectly timed factoid that misses the point entirely. We would kill with this routine! Who knows, if we really hit it really big, we might even be booked to appear on Wake Up Westchester with Mike and Mary Beth.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I tend to agree with Gruber that advanced finger-swipes are a great shortcut, but that you need some clear anchor for new users... you can't expect someone picking up an iOS device for the first time to understand multi-finger pinches and swipes. The beauty of iPhone was that with one click, you were in business.

One problem, however with no button on an iPhone is the glass back. When I reach for my iPhone in the dark, the only way I can tell orientation is by feeling for the home button. Without it I'd have to fumble around the edges, probably for the volume buttons.