Verizon posts first iPhone 4 ad without ever showing phone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,730member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LouisTheXIV View Post

funny going back memory lane...and even funnier thinking now just how ridiculously crippled the iphone was on 1.0...a phone, an ipod and a web browser...lol 2007 feels like a lifetime ago now.

My memory is of the first mobile phone I was able to figure out how to use 100% without reading the manual since my Motorola Brick!
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

My memory is of the first mobile phone I was able to figure out how to use 100% without reading the manual since my Motorola Brick!

What manual? I don't think Apple believes in those
  • Reply 23 of 42
    "To our millions of customers....remember....you need to buy 2 iPhones in order to get full functionality and speed".
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timop View Post

pretty lame YouTube video, Verizon!

Wanna get eyeballs, convert users?

Get creative, go viral, and continue the dialogue with Social Messaging(TM)!

And then pre-install on all VZW iPhones the first killer mobile app:

full-featured text/IM client, super-charged with MeetMe(TM) and soon-to-be-released Point-and-Chat(TM), for messaging with 80% of all smart phone users.

Who are you going to call?

PoKos!

Huh? IM and chat? Really?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    I had never seen the iPhone 4 Facetime commercial with the two people signing to each other. I, ignorantly, hadn't even thought about the power of Facetime for that application. It's a very powerful commercial. They should run that more often.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timop View Post

pretty lame YouTube video, Verizon!

Wanna get eyeballs, convert users?

Get creative, go viral, and continue the dialogue with Social Messaging(TM)!

And then pre-install on all VZW iPhones the first killer mobile app:

full-featured text/IM client, super-charged with MeetMe(TM) and soon-to-be-released Point-and-Chat(TM), for messaging with 80% of all smart phone users.

Who are you going to call?

PoKos!

Did you C&P your Mac Rumors post here or um the other way around?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=103

WTG Timoplatt. It is exciting to see we now get anti-Verizon trolls on all the Apple forums.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Sometimes I just don't understand the people that make some commercials.

I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone.

At least it's not as bad as the commercials where for the first 90% of the commercial I'm wondering what company the commercial is for... and then the next time I see the commercial I have the exact same reaction, because there was nothing to tie the commercial to the company, and I can't remember what the company was (or worse, think it is a competitor).

Get the insider scoop on trade show display ideas.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePieAlaMode View Post

Sometimes I just don't understand the people that make some commercials.

I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone.

Who in America doesn?t know what the iPhone looks like? It?s the device that all other smartphones are compared against. Do you think a rotating iPhone on screen for 30 seconds with a Verizon logo underneath would actually be effective. It?s not Verizon?s job to advertise OS features, that?s Apple?s and those features are actually a little less than AT&T if we are going to lay them out.

There is no reason to show off what the device looks like. It would be a waste. What they did was psychological. They appealed to the non-AT&T using masses that have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the iPhone to be on a different carrier. The ad mirrors the pent up demand, the desire. It builds suspense and then shows the iPhone 4 logo followed by the Verizon logo. It?s a brilliant ad.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

I don't know why you wouldn't show the phone..

If you don't know what the iPhone is or what it looks like, you're NOT in the target demographic.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blursd View Post

All this from a wireless company that has pretty much done everything it could do to convince it's customers the iPhone was a bad product and they shouldn't want it ... up until a couple weeks ago.

Now they're acting like it's Jesus come down from Galilee ...

p.s. I do understand competitive markets and advertising strategies, but I think it's worth recognizing the rather salient change in Verizon's public attitude towards the iPhone.

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about native iPhone applications. Web apps are really sweet.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

What does what some people thought Apple might do have to do with actual ad campaigns?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you don't know what the iPhone is or what it looks like, you're NOT in the target demographic.

I see your point... I just disagree.

People know what a bottle of Corona beer looks like, but they still show the bottle in the commercial. People know what hot chicks look like, but GoDaddy still shows them...

People also know what a diamond ring looks like... but they still show the diamond ring in the commercial.

I think of the iPhone like a diamond ring, and think it should be shown off.

Just my opinion on commercials that never show the car or the product.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:

People know what hot chicks look like, but GoDaddy still shows them...

WTF is wrong with some of you!!!
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, but it doesn't magically erase everyone's memory. I can't really remember a time when a heavy advertising blitz designed to convince consumers that product A was inferior to product B was instantly replaced with an advertising blitz from the same vendor saying the opposite.

Although I guess the explicitly iPhone bashing ads were earlier on, so maybe it's been long enough where Verizon can just make wild claims for each platform without referencing the other.

I wonder if this means the iPhone is presently to find itself pitched as surrogate dick, since that seems to be pretty much what Verizon phones advertising is about?

Keep in mind that advertising has very little to do with what a company actually believes about itself or its products (i.e. Android is superior to iPhone). All marketers know the real deal about there products.

Advertising wholly about what the customer believes. Verizon simply wants you to believe something else now.

I think its a good piece.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Creative View Post

Keep in mind that advertising has very little to do with what a company actually believes about itself or its products (i.e. Android is superior to iPhone). All marketers know the real deal about there products.

Absolutely. I in no way imagine that Verizon is straining itself to sequently declare various phones as the best ever.

Quote:

Advertising wholly about what the customer believes. Verizon simply wants you to believe something else now.

Right, but my point is that it's not like Verizon was merely running "Android is cool" ads, and now they'll run "iPhone is cool" ads. They were running "iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads. Switching that up is fairly unusual for a big US corporation, as far as I know. Like I say, I don't think it's a stretch for Verizon, who obviously doesn't "believe" anything in particular beyond selling stuff, but I do imagine there may be a bit of cognitive dissonance for consumers. At the very least I would expect to hear some gnashing of teeth from Android users feeling "betrayed."

Quote:

I think its a good piece.

in and of itself, sure, except, see above.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:

Right, but my point is that it's not like Verizon was merely running "Android is cool" ads, and now they'll run "iPhone is cool" ads. They were running "iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads. Switching that up is fairly unusual for a big US corporation, as far as I know. Like I say, I don't think it's a stretch for Verizon, who obviously doesn't "believe" anything in particular beyond selling stuff, but I do imagine there may be a bit of cognitive dissonance for consumers. At the very least I would expect to hear some gnashing of teeth from Android users feeling “betrayed.”

Which ads are these? The only one I remember regarding the iPhone praised it but then dissed AT&T.
    Misfit Toy 1: “What are you doing here? You can download apps and browse the web?”

Misfit Toy 2: “Yeah, people will love you.”

(iPhone shows map of AT&T’s 3G coverage. Disappointing “Ohhh" from all the toys in unison)
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Which ads are these? The only one I remember regarding the iPhone praised it but then dissed AT&T.
    Misfit Toy 1: ?What are you doing here? You can download apps and browse the web??

Misfit Toy 2: ?Yeah, people will love you.?

(iPhone shows map of AT&T?s 3G coverage. Disappointing ?Ohhh" from all the toys in unison)

I'm not sure if this was a Motorola or Verizon spot (it ends with a Verizon/Google title card), but anyone who remembers it is going to be a bit bemused by happy Verizon iPhone time.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

I'm not sure if this was a Motorola or Verizon spot (it ends with a Verizon/Google title card), but anyone who remembers it is going to be a bit bemused by happy Verizon iPhone time.

I?d call any ad that prominently lists a company name as part of the advertising as their ad, even if they weren?t involved in the campaign since they clearly allowed it at some level. I believe Droid was licensed to Verizon, not to a particular vendor, which also points to that being a Verizon ad. It?s also a decent ad (for what it is) which means it can?t be a Motorola ad.

I think the Misfit Toys ad predated Verizon having the Droids on their network.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Right, but my point is that it's not like Verizon was merely running "Android is cool" ads, and now they'll run "iPhone is cool" ads. They were running "iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads. Switching that up is fairly unusual for a big US corporation, as far as I know. Like I say, I don't think it's a stretch for Verizon, who obviously doesn't "believe" anything in particular beyond selling stuff, but I do imagine there may be a bit of cognitive dissonance for consumers. At the very least I would expect to hear some gnashing of teeth from Android users feeling "betrayed."

Good points all. Particularly about the feelings of those 'who believed' in Verizon's narrative. Gotta admit this is kinda a unique situation in advertising where a company in some sense 'becomes' its competitor. Not a evolution of a product line over time, but a discrete shift. Cognitive dissonance indeed.

["iPhone is broken and possibly gay" ads.] -