Verizon exec says unlimited iPhone data plans available for a limited time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

msantti, how do you track your usage if you have an unlimited plan? I have ATT's Unlimited for my iPad and I've never found a way to track my data consumption.

-syvalley

Get the myWireless app from the app store and you can check it anytime.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Streaming content certainly takes it's toll, but the biggest data hog is app downloads. Reset your counters at the beginning of the month and do not download any apps over 3G, I think you'll find your usage will go way down. Also, don't run background apps that access internet all the time.

Services like Netflix & Pandora will certainly eat up data but personally I don't think it's all that unfair for AT&T to ask heavy data streamers to pay more for their data service, certainly more fair than them asking me to pay more for my data to cover your usage. I also love that overages no longer kick in automatically & they don't cost you an arm & a leg!

The more I find out about Verizon's plan the more I see no reason to switch. If the 5 device wifi tethering is coming to both with 4.3 then I truly have no reason to switch, I much like simultaneous voice & data.

Exactly.

Youtube, Pandora to some extend, and especially downloading apps and music.

If you just mind your usage of these couple things, most people EASILY use less than 200mb outside of wifi access.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

msantti, how do you track your usage if you have an unlimited plan? I have ATT's Unlimited for my iPad and I've never found a way to track my data consumption.

-syvalley

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/check...-usage-on-att/

And on the iPhone

Go to Settings>General>Usage>Mobile Network Data
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I don't know how anyone can get by on 200-250 mb of data a month.

I guess if you don't surf the web for more than 2 minutes a day and don't check email more than twice a day and then don't download any attachments. Sure does not male for a smart smart phone.

Oh, and don't even thing about streaming even one bit of data.

Usually i'm on wifi, that seems to be the case for most people. 3G is so damn slow anyway. I'm half way through my billing cycle and I used 7.8mb so far, my counters show 270mb up and 1.3GB down in 14 months of usage. Doh..... gonna change this immediately...
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:

I guess if you don't surf the web for more than 2 minutes a day and don't check email more than twice a day and then don't download any attachments. Sure does not male for a smart smart phone.

I think the key is not to stream Video or Music. I use 3G data on my iPhone every day, for Surfing, e-mail, maps, Facebook, downloading apps, even an occasional youtube video.

What I don't do is listen to Pandora, or watch netflix, etc.

I do use WiFi whenever I can, which is pretty much everywhere, except when I am in the car, traveling, or at work.

My monthly usage has been in the 200-300MB range since the original iPhone came out...
  • Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

they are probably doing this to attract those iphone customers on AT&T who have the unlimited plans since they were grandfathered with the change happen at AT&T. They will probably keep it in place until the see the migration of AT&T customers dropping.

Kind of smart in their part...

Maybe, but there is nothing that would make AT&T happier than to see the top 1% of data hogs all move over to Verizon. I am not sure Verizon would be all that happy to have them either. For it to be "smart" on their part, it will need to attract the AT&T customers who have unlimited data plans and want to keep them, but who dont actually use much data.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    The only thing that matters at this point is getting more competition among iPhone carriers.
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Perhaps these are just two companies doing business - If you make widgets I'm sure you would not like to sell your widgets for 7¢ - There is nothing criminal about a business trying to protect a healthy profit margin - If you don't like it you can always go to another business offering a better deal if there is one (if that does not exist maybe you expect too much?) - Perhaps anyone out there that wants unlimited data for 7¢ per month should start their own carrier . . .
  • Reply 29 of 47
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Maybe, but there is nothing that would make AT&T happier than to see the top 1% of data hogs all move over to Verizon. I am not sure Verizon would be all that happy to have them either. For it to be "smart" on their part, it will need to attract the AT&T customers who have unlimited data plans and want to keep them, but who dont actually use much data.

I think there are alot more of those than many would think, hell I was one of them before 2 months ago.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

-syvalley

The most basic method: Tap Settings. On a 3G iPad, the menu will show Cellular Data. Tap that, then View Account and log in.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

And this is how collusion works in the wireless industry. Companies use the press to signal their intent and to make sure they don't start actually competing on price. Translation, "We're going to offer an unlimited plan at first to steal a few of your customers, but don't worry, AT&T, you just keep that cap on yours and we'll be joining you shortly. Let's not do anything stupid."

Interesting hypothesis. So as a consumer who has the grandfathered unlimited data I should go to AT&T and ask for unlimited txt at no extra charge and whatever else I can think, or threaten to leave for Verizon.

Also I would imagine everyone who does have unlimited data with AT&T would also have another year on their contract since they just got their iP4.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    This is more great news for Big Red customers. Now you have no excuse not to purchase the world's most popular smartphone and of course you will be able to easily upgrade to the iPhone 5 Superphone this summer you can be sure.

I would invite all 93+ million customers of Verizon to seriously consider the many benefits of owning the 4 today and next month be ready to pounce on that order and pull the trigger. You can thank me later.

Bus Driver out.

CONSIDER YOURSELF SCHOOLED !

BTW, THEY CALL ME THE BUS DRIVER BECAUSE I TAKE EVERYONE TO SCHOOL. ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE FOR THIS LESSON AS I CONSIDER IT A PUBLIC SERVICE.

• Reply 33 of 47
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youda Farmer View Post

This is more great news for Big Red customers. Now you have no excuse not to purchase the world's most popular smartphone and of course you will be able to easily upgrade to the iPhone 5 Superphone this summer you can be sure. ...

That was worth a laugh.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Interesting hypothesis. So as a consumer who has the grandfathered unlimited data I should go to AT&T and ask for unlimited txt at no extra charge and whatever else I can think, or threaten to leave for Verizon.

Well, I'm not sure it has anything to do with my post, but it might be interesting to see what sort of customer retention policy AT&T comes up with, if any.

Quote:

Also I would imagine everyone who does have unlimited data with AT&T would also have another year on their contract since they just got their iP4.

Unless they didn't get an IP4.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Unless they didn't get an IP4.

To have grandfathered unlimited don't you have to renew your contract. What happened to people who had a 3GS with unlimited when their contract expired?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youda Farmer View Post

CONSIDER YOURSELF SCHOOLED !

BTW, THEY CALL ME THE BUS DRIVER BECAUSE I TAKE EVERYONE TO SCHOOL. ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGE FOR THIS LESSON AS I CONSIDER IT A PUBLIC SERVICE.

Really? Because you sure don't sound old enough to drive...
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

To have grandfathered unlimited don't you have to renew your contract. What happened to people who had a 3GS with unlimited when their contract expired?

The 3GS was released June 2009, so those contracts won't start expiring until June 2011.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    I don't even mind there being a cap as long as the cap is reasonable.

For instance, a 5GB cap would be more than reasonable for the iPhone. 2GB is a bit too stifling. I managed to use over 400MB on a Thursday to Monday stretch while on a trip, and that was with NO tethering. Just lots of web browsing, google maps, Pandora, and so on.

The idea of a cap should be to prevent abuse, not to swindle people out of more money. Smartphone plans are ALREADY expensive. Look at what you can buy for $90!

So yeah, caps are fine. But make them reasonable. And if you charge for tethering, up the cap to compensate, damnit. Paying more to use the same bits in a different way is just stupid.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    Quote:

Can't speak for the iPad, but you can find this info on the AT&T website after logging in and going to your billing section. Can't remember exactly where it is now, but you can go month-by-month and look at historical usage info.

Quote:

Gotta wonder what you're streaming then. Granted I've not been streaming video, but I'm almost always streaming Pandora and Last.fm in the car and in my heaviest month I used 700mb. I'd never drop down to the 200mb plan, but my personal experience shows that most of us could easily get by with the 2gb plan.

Frankly I don't think an unlimited data plan should be a major factor when deciding to jump carriers.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:

Plan doesn't change when the contract period expires. What sucks is I'd have to drop my grandfathered data plan to turn on tethering. I have the original unlimited with the iPad too. I'd eat up the capped plans in no time during MLB season.