Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Comments

• Reply 141 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

We need a task-force to ensure that this man does not breed again.

Castration would probably work... But obviously that's a bit late.
  • Reply 142 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

They have. Ever see all the 6pt disclaimers at the bottom of the screen of drugs (and other things that aren't moron-proof)? I actually go in the opposite direction and think that all that warning stuff is a bunch of BS. We are human beings - intelligent reasoning human beings. We do not need to blame everyone else for our own carelessness and stupidity. And why is this suit-mania only in the US? Are we less intelligent than citizens of other countries? (please don't come across with a catty answer; you know what I mean!)

I once bought a dremel tool and in the instructions it said not to do any dental work with it. How would they know to put that in?

Problem today is there are more students in law schools than engineering schools.
  • Reply 143 of 302
    I think we sould have a law like Costa Rica, if you sue some one and lose you have to pay all expences of the winning party as well as your own. I think that would put a stop to the bullshit lawsuits like this one.
  • Reply 144 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

I think we sould have a law like Costa Rica, if you sue some one and lose you have to pay all expences of the winning party as well as your own. I think that would put a stop to the bullshit lawsuits like this one.

Courts in the US already award costs to the winners of lawsuits. It's a great way to dissuade people without a lot of money from filing lawsuits.
  • Reply 145 of 302
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Is his other daughter the one that fell into a fountain at the shopping mall?
  • Reply 146 of 302
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

This is true but for the front glass only. Also a 68% higher failure rate is actually lower than there previous phone. If you drop your phone on the back side of the 3GS there's no glass there only plastic, so no glass breaks. With the iPhone 4 having glass on two sides you would expect the failure rate to be 100% higher but it's not because there using Gorilla glass on the front side.

But it's still one phone, regardless or whether it has one or two pieces of glass.
  • Reply 147 of 302
    The phone is made of 2 pieces of glass. The word glass should caution you. The term Guerilla Glass implies stronger, not invincible glass. Aircraft glass breaks, bullet proof glass breaks, your MacBook glass breaks.

Why on earth would a phone with two glass panels make someone think it is excluded from the breaking phenomenon.
  • Reply 148 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

When one is lazy and won't put the cup into the cupholder in the car when adding the cream and is holding it between the legs, then that person deserves being burned. Another candidate for a "moron of the century".

Really, who is too lazy to put something in a cup holder? Get real.

Not many cars had cup holders in 1994.

The woman had to have skin grafts.

The court found her partially responsible.

If it was a child, would you feel the same way?

At what age should someone know better?

You rival the Dalai Lama with your compassion and understanding.
  • Reply 149 of 302
    I'll bet any amount of money this maroon gets (at minimum) 1,000 phone calls tomorrow calling him your choice of obscenities.
  • Reply 150 of 302
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgspb View Post

Being that this is taking place in Cali, he will more than likely win.

What's Colombia got to do with it?
  • Reply 151 of 302
    My daughter dropped my coffee pot and it broke. I blame Black & Decker. They knew the coffee pot was made of glass and would shatter if dropped. Class action.
  • Reply 152 of 302
    If Dumb LeBuhn (Ops ... I meant Don) was smart enough to get a OtterBox Defender Case for his iPhone 4 before handing it over to his daughter, his phone may still work. Lawyer should check if Mr. LeBunh had filed other insane law suits before. Also, he should be only be allowed to use the 1st generation cell phone. Those won't break easily.
  • Reply 153 of 302
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitWrangler View Post

As to the statistic that says that iphone 4's have a higher incidence of being damaged than the 3GS

that detail is from a company that markets in insurance for damage. It comes from their claim rates. Nothing is said about how many policies they have that never have a claim, or how their policies stack up against total units.

That context is very important
  • Reply 154 of 302
    He should also sue his daughter for taking his personal property.
  • Reply 155 of 302
    I must say I have never been more impressed with the stability of a phone. I was clearing my attic and while swinging out from above the doorway I launched my iphone4 13 feet down to a congrete garage floor. It cracked but it was one clean cut and it can barely be seen. 13feet to concrete! That has to say something for the so called hellicopter glass. I myself am impressed. Thanks apple. On a downside... It will cost me just as much as I bought the phone to replace the front glass.
  • Reply 156 of 302
    Since when does 'normal use' include dropping it?
  • Reply 157 of 302
    He is completely right! The iPhone 4 is build out of weak breakable glass and either Apple should replace broken glass cases for free or lose its license to sell. As simple as that!

I really like my iPhone 4 but the antenna and the glass are faulty designs! Can't wait to sell it to someone off of ebay once the iPhone 5 gets out.. if i don't break the damn thing by then!
  • Reply 158 of 302
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

I dropped my iPhone and it I was annoyed, but with myself.

Can't see this lawsuit winning. It is glass, it is fragile. If you are a careless bu$$er get a case.

I have always had a silicone case on all my iphones so it wouldn get scratches and of the glasscreen (it helped to prevent hard hits on the edges of the glass). It also helps to bumper the hit if it ever falls. Now a mobile phone is probably going to fall on the floor sometimes in its lifetime eventhou you would be very carefull.

Ofcourse it doesnt help if you add glass to the backside aswell. On iphone 3g/3gs there still was a more than 50% chance that it would land on the side or backside and nothing would happen.

iphone4s glass edges are over the body (compared to 3g/3gs the glass is sunk into the body) so that the body will not help at all if something hits the edge of the glass. As we know this is the most vulnerable place on glass. No matter how much you can bend the glass when it gets hit on the side with a sharp hard object and there is no absorbatin of power glass WILL break. Now this is really why i thought that apple this specific time chose design over functionality. I have a iphone 4 but i wouldnt dare to use it without a silicone case. I have 2 small kids aswell so its not me allways using it. I was shocked when the iphone pictures were leaked out about the design. I thought that it couldnt be the real thing because it would be stupid to build it like that.

If you think about the most obvious scenario dropping it on the floor:

Iphone 3g/3gs is plastic on the edges/backsise with metal bezel around the screen and some foam between the bezel and glass. The glass doesnt get out of the phone body so the glass cant "hit" the ground when the phone falls on a flat surface.

iphone4: glass on both sides and the edges are visible so that if you dont want the glass to hit the ground is nearly impossible! the phone has to drop almost straight on its side not more that 15-20 degreece angle for the metal body to take the impact. Because the glass is flat almost always will the impact be on the glass edge. Worst of course if it falls on an corner edge, so all the force will come in a single spot.

That means the new design the glass will take 90% of the beating whilst the old design the glass would take maybe 1% beating on dropping on a FLAT surface. THIS is a _HUGE_

difference!!!!!! Somebody good at math should count how big the chance/probability is that the glass will take the hit with the new design depending that it could fall anyway on a flat surface an at what probability the metal will take the impact. I think 90% is somewhere rather close anyways.

Now I only dropped my iphone 3G once myself but that wasnt on a flat surface and the phone fell on its glass and a stone hit the corner of the home buttton cracking the glass. Now it this would have been on the pavement or a building floor nothing would have happened. Even if the stone would have hti someplace in the middle of the glass it probably wouldnt have cracked. But it hit the corner of the hole for the button...CRACK..

hopefully for my I didnt have to change the glass because the crack didnt go over the screen and it was only estetical=barely noticeble.
  • Reply 159 of 302
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bunny7904 View Post

If Dumb LeBuhn (Ops ... I meant Don) was smart enough to get a OtterBox Defender Case for his iPhone 4 before handing it over to his daughter, his phone may still work. Lawyer should check if Mr. LeBunh had filed other insane law suits before. Also, he should be only be allowed to use the 1st generation cell phone. Those won't break easily.

Perhaps the real question is why any manufacturer would ship a phone whichalmost *requires* a third party case just to get through the day? It's a mobile phone for pete's sake. Mobile. Gets moved around. Is more likely than, say, a coffee pot, to be dropped or mishandled.
  • Reply 160 of 302
    This is absolutely fantastic news. Think of the precedent it could set? We wouldn't need to worry about product insurance, ever again.

If you crash your car, sue the manufacturers. It's obviously defective.

If your house burns down, sue the builder. It's obviously defective.

If you drop your phone, sue the manufacturer. It's obviously defective.

And, if you lose your lawsuit... sue your lawyers. They're obviously defective.

None of that screwing about explaining exactly what happened to your insurer, and worrying about whether or not you actually have accidental damage cover. Just sue, sue, sue!