Apple seeks digital photography expert for iPad development team

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Adding to the mounting evidence that Apple plans to add cameras to its next-generation iPad, the company's digital photography team is hiring a software engineer to create applications for the iPad platform.

In a new job listing posted this week discovered by AppleInsider, Apple revealed that it is looking for someone to fill the position of "iOS Photography Software Engineer." The role, based at the company's Cupertino, Calif., campus, will ideally be filled by a "dynamic software engineer with the drive and desire to deliver great photography applications for the Mac and iPad platforms."

The job listing notes that Apple's digital photography team has delivered applications for the Mac platform in the past, including iPhoto and Aperture. The new position will be related to text rendering and editing, as well as HTML generation, for publishing and viewing photo-based content, presumably on the Web.

Apple seeks an employee with "strong skills with established and emerging web technologies," including HTML5 and CSS. Another "key requirement" for the role is a worker who has a passion for photography.

The position could be related to the new Photo Stream feature referenced in early beta builds of iOS 4.3, Apple's next operating system upgrade for iOS devices including the iPad. A description of the MobileMe service said it would upload and store the last thirty days of photos and download them to "all of your devices."

The second beta of iOS 4.2 also included a wallpaper image with icons showing FaceTime, Camera, and PhotoBooth applications for the iPad. FaceTime is Apple's new standard for video chat, already available on the iPhone 4, fourth-generation iPod touch, and Mac platform, while PhotoBooth allows users to edit and apply effects to photos and videos.

Apple is expected to add cameras to its next-generation iPad, with a forward-facing lens for FaceTime chat, and a rear-facing camera for taking photos. Further evidence of cameras on the second-generation iPad has come in the form of purported cases made overseas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Aperture for iPad, my wife was just asking about this! The iPad is a great on the go tool for all sorts of things & adding support for photo editing on a professional level is a no brainer, would make it a very powerful tool for a photographer (especially if the rumors of SD slot turn out to be true).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Aperture for iPad, my wife was just asking about this! The iPad is a great on the go tool for all sorts of things & adding support for photo editing on a professional level is a no brainer, would make it a very powerful tool for a photographer (especially if the rumors of SD slot turn out to be true).

I share your enthusiasm for the possibilities. However, the snag is the file size. A really large RAW image would not only be a bit of a chore for the poor iPad's little heart but what about getting a shoot of say 200 of them into it and out of it and where would you put them anyway? 64 GIGs (or even 128 Gigs) wouldn't last long. ... I agree in the future this is a possibility but there are some serious problems with an iPad Aperture at the moment. I think for now this will be a consumer effort only. Aperture users need MBP i7s and Mac Pros for now.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I share your enthusiasm for the possibilities. However, the snag is the file size. A really large RAW image would not only be a bit of a chore for the poor iPad's little heart but what about getting a shoot of say 200 of them into it and out of it and where would you put them anyway? 64 GIGs (or even 128 Gigs) wouldn't last long. ... I agree in the future this is a possibility but there are some serious problems with an iPad Aperture at the moment. I think for now this will be a consumer effort only. Aperture users need MBP i7s and Mac Pros for now.

External HD?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Need is a very relative term. I do a lot of work with Aperture on a lowly MacBook. You don't have to store your images on the iPad to use Aperture's tools.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

External HD?

mmmm A product designed to be portable attached to an external HD? If it could be done wirelessly at transfer rate approaching FireFire I'd love it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lank View Post

Need is a very relative term. I do a lot of work with Aperture on a lowly MacBook. You don't have to store your images on the iPad to use Aperture's tools.

I agree that might be doable somehow. My bad I meant to write professional users not Aperture users.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I could see using an iPad with jpeg proxies for preview and otherwise just using the pad for data management; especially if you used something like the hyper drive.

You guys know about these things right?

Hyperdrive
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The interesting part is that Apple is looking to boost the photo side of the iPad. The concern is that it will be for iPad3, with iPad2 only having a back camera from the iPod touch. I would love to see the iPhone camera used for iOS. Gives Apple more economies of scale and boosts the user experience.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Yes! When I first saw the Photos app for iPad, my first thought was, "I wish I could edit as well!". I suspect that the iPad's low specs are to blame. If the 2nd-gen iPad gets suped up (dual core processor, upgraded graphics, 512-1GB RAM), maybe this will be addressed.

The large display, SD-reading abilities and touch interface make it PERFECT for photo editing.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    lanklank Posts: 27member
    Thanks! I agree professional users "need" more power for real productivity.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

mmmm A product designed to be portable attached to an external HD? If it could be done wirelessly at transfer rate approaching FireFire I'd love it.

FireWire? In your dreams. Of course give it about 10 years and your dreams will probably come true. Except by then you'll probably be complaining that it's not as fast as light peak.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

FireWire? In your dreams. Of course give it about 10 years and your dreams will probably come true. Except by then you'll probably be complaining that it's not as fast as light peak.

I was actually pulling the person's leg I was replying to if you read the thread But one day