Preorders of Apple's iPhone 4 break Verizon sales record in 2 hours

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Just another phone.

But one this time that does not drop calls.
  • Reply 42 of 70
    Just for quick perspective, I ordered at 2.45am and had order #62. A friend ordered at exactly 3am and has a number in the six thousands...so 100,000 sounds like more than a little underestimated.
  • Reply 43 of 70
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post

In the U.S., all phones end up costing about the same, so people figure they might as well get the best.

Places like here in China, the monthly service is dirt cheap and you pay the real price for the phone, so most people opt to save money and get an Android.

Not true. In China, people get the real thing when they can afford it. When they can't afford it, they find a real cheap local alternative. They don't go for a second place imitation.
  • Reply 44 of 70
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Considering how competitive Android phones have become, this is kind of weird. What's the big deal about the iPhone compared with them?

Who really didn't expect this? iPhone has the buzz, has the name, has the media and public attention. Things will settle down a bit after the first wave, but expect the iPhone to continue to sell strongly. I think Android may still win out in the end, though, just because of several phone makers, Google's backing, and it's available on all carriers. It just won't happen very soon, though.
  • Reply 45 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pridon View Post

Sounds like the Microsoft Kin launch. Oops, sorry. Sales exceeded the Kin launch in the first 2 seconds.

I had to LOL on that one.
  • Reply 46 of 70
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

And as soon as iPhone hit the floor, Android was left standing by the wall...

It's like the DJ dropped the lights and turned on a remix of Rob Base and the crowd went wild. Sure the new stuff was cool - but the the true hits are always on a different level.

BTW - Good to see another Blackmore posting here.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    Verizon sent a tracking number more than 15 hours ago. No tracking info or anything until now. UPS says a shipping label was created today (Friday). Inch by inch....
  • Reply 48 of 70
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

But nice to hear Verizon is breaking some records. \

Not for existing Verizon customers lol. The iphone's popularity will surely have an impact on Verizon's servers. I mean hell, they imposed that bandwidth throttling thing as a result of their anticipation of the iphone, so customers such as myself who use large amounts of data (because I need to for work, hence the reason I bought unlimited) will suffer for it.

The throttling rule should apply to iphone users only.
  • Reply 49 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The throttling rule should apply to iphone users only.

• Reply 50 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcruiser View Post

Verizon sent a tracking number more than 15 hours ago. No tracking info or anything until now. UPS says a shipping label was created today (Friday). Inch by inch....

They are using UPS?

Good luck getting your iphone in one piece.

LOL
  • Reply 51 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You think the throttling isn't a response to the expectation of new iphone users?

What good is unlimited data when it slows to a crawl? What good is getting away from AT&T and their burden only to have it dumped on you AFTER you've started your contract with Verizon?

Statement stands, no matter how funny you think it sounds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

They are using UPS?

Good luck getting your iphone in one piece.

LOL

Apple's packaging can take it.
  • Reply 52 of 70
    Sales record for Verizon....hmmm.....was it because most customers bought 2 (one for data, one for voice)?

By the way, Verizon DID NOT SELL OUT. They are holding back most of their stockpile for Feb 10.....new customers are worth more than existing ones. In Verizon's eyes, existing customers are "chumps" who can wait a bit longer. If I was an existing customer, I'd be furious....to wait for a number of years only to see the new customers jump ahead in line.

Media Spin worked....look at all the headlines. I truly believe that Verizon has a lot more that they can sell....can you imagine if they said "Uhm...we still have a lot more to sell". That would be seen as a total failure. This whole process was designed to give the appearance of total success.

As n Apple shareholder, glad to see sales go up.
  • Reply 53 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

... By the way, Verizon DID NOT SELL OUT. They are holding back most of their stockpile for Feb 10.....

Yes, it's almost certain that a certain number of phones were allocated for existing customer pre-order, a certain number for pre-order/pickup, and the remainder available, which may be the bulk, for FIFO in store sales.
  • Reply 54 of 70
    It's hard to say exactly....but one by one Verizon is checking off immediate sales goals. And just with what we know, it seems well on it's way to being a winner for Verizon and Apple.

Having said this Tim Cook recently said...Apple is having trouble keeping up with ATT's demand. And that was before the Verizon announced the iP4.

I have a feeling sales numbers will be constrained by supply or rather lack of supply. Similar to the iPad. Apple most certainly would've sold more ~15 million iPads if they had the supply.

Anyway, perhaps stating the obvious above, but it is very interesting to follow.

I'm not a big Verizon fan, but I thought offering the unlimited data plan, albeit for a limited time, was a good idea. I wish them much success.

PS. Hasn't RIM just blown it?
  • Reply 55 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

It's like Consumer Reports editors cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced....

ROFLMAO!!!
  • Reply 56 of 70
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Perhaps Apple will do a Berkshire Hathaway and ride the stock into the tens of thousands. ( Currently ~ $124,000 ! )

It will be a statement in itself and owning 1 stock will be as much a status symbol as owning a Mac.

( Like Berkshire, they will have to make a parallel stock device at 1,000th value to give to employees ).

Barring a reverse split, such a valuation would require Apple to have a market valuation of around $100 trillion. Hard to imagine what sort of products and services Apple would have to sell for a rational market to give it that kind of value.
  • Reply 57 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I got an issue yesterday with a blurb about "hot new smartphones" on the front... A quick scan showed no mention of the iPhone on Verizon. What did I expect?

Will someone with some historical knowledge please explain what grudge CR has against the iPhone?

This is a serious questions.
  • Reply 58 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Will someone with some historical knowledge please explain what grudge CR has against the iPhone?

This is a serious questions.

I'll explain

There is no grudge. They simply said they wouldn't recommend the iphone 4 because of the issues it had with losing signal when you touched it lightly with a finger. Once Apple issued a fix that wasn't really a fix but rather a correct reporting of signal strength (something that was known since the first iphone) they gave it a good rating again.

Now, if they don't absolutely brown nose Apple whenever any iphone news comes out, people around here act as though it's some big deal, and that they purposely are out to undermine the iphone.

In other words, don't ever tell the truth about an Apple product if the truth isn't something fanboys want to hear.
  • Reply 59 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I'll explain

There is no grudge. They simply said they wouldn't recommend the iphone 4 because of the issues it had with losing signal when you touched it lightly with a finger. Once Apple issued a fix that wasn't really a fix but rather a correct reporting of signal strength (something that was known since the first iphone) they gave it a good rating again.

Now, if they don't absolutely brown nose Apple whenever any iphone news comes out, people around here act as though it's some big deal, and that they purposely are out to undermine the iphone.

In other words, don't ever tell the truth about an Apple product if the truth isn't something fanboys want to hear.

I believe cr gave not just a good rating but rated it the best both before and after changes to reporting of signal. They didn't give it a buy recommendation even though it was their highest rated phone which is confusing and not terribly helpful. That's what I recall from it.
  • Reply 60 of 70
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I believe cr gave not just a good rating but rated it the best both before and after changes to reporting of signal. They didn't give it a buy recommendation even though it was their highest rated phone which is confusing and not terribly helpful. That's what I recall from it.

That's correct.