Apple partner Best Buy listing 5 new MacBook Pro SKUs and price points

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Best Buy, one of the largest resellers authorized to sell Apple's Mac family of products, is listing this weekend five new stock keeping units for Mac notebooks at price points ranging from $1,199 to $2,499.



The SKUs turned up (via Engadget) in the specialty electronics reseller's online Laptop Configuration tool, where they are listed as "New SKU" with availability of "Coming Soon."



Although Best Buy's inventory systems have been a less-than-precise indicator of Apple's actual plans in the past, this weekend's listings do provide specific pricing information that has yet to turn up elsewhere.



Specifically, the retailer's configuration tool specifies that the forthcoming Apple notebooks will be priced at $1,199, $1,499, $1,799, $2,199 and $2,499. Those price points could coincide nicely with previous reports that peg the new MacBook Pros to arrive in five retail configurations as opposed to the existing six.



Based on those reports and the new price points, it appears most likely that Apple will continue to offer two configurations of the 13-inch MacBooks ($1,199 and $1,499), a single 17-inch configuration ($2,499, up from $2,299), and consolidate the three current 15-inch configurations ($1,799, $1,999, and $2,199) into two configurations ($1,799 and $2,199), shedding the $1,999 15-inch configuration.



The chart below compares Apple's existing MacBook Pro lineup with the potential future lineup, which is based off reports over the last several days that have identified five new Mac part numbers making the rounds in international retail channels at the unconfirmed prices listed by Best Buy in the U.S.







For more on Apple's impending update to its MacBook Pro family, please see AppleInsider's MacBook Pro information archive. Meanwhile, captures of the potential new MacBook Pro SKUs and price points listed by Best Buy can be seen in their entirety, below.



















«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 47
    Only thing I can come up with is that they're adding something significant and expensive enough to require the jump in prices in the higher end models. Could be material (Carbon Fiber, LiquidMetal, etc) or maybe quad-core chips, since they only have dual-core versions right now. Not sure what that means for the lower-end models though, if they're getting the same upgrade or not.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    mr. kmr. k Posts: 114member
    Given the trend of slowly dropping prices on higher-end MBPs, this pricing scheme makes little sense. Unless they've got some significant and expensive change that needs to be offset.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    I'm still mad at Best Buy over the iWork '11 fiasco.



    And someone in Best Buy is getting a call from disappointed Steve today. I think he's going to start by saying "C'mon, Man!!"
  • Reply 4 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Well, if this is true I guess we'll have to wait another generation for price drops... They cannot sell the same machines with speed bumps for these prices. Competition certainly is starting to catch up with Apple in terms of build quality.



    So I hope these new machines feature a complete redesign with a high OMG, do want!!!-factor, like the MacBook Air has.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    I'm getting my first Mac and fear I might pee myself with excitement. If it's a big "bump" I'll go 2011, otherwise try and find a 2010 15" i7...
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    Well, if this is true I guess we'll have to wait another generation for price drops... They cannot sell the same machines with speed bumps for these prices. Competition certainly is starting to catch up with Apple in terms of build quality.



    So I hope these new machines feature a complete redesign with a high OMG, do want!!!-factor, like the MacBook Air has.



    I guess that's why Dell dropped their Adamo line?



    Apple sells more of these things each quarter. They always have a "high OMG, do want!!" factor. I'm pretty sure Apple knows what needs to be done in order to maintain the Mac's position in the market.



    Don't worry so much.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    I guess that's why Dell dropped their Adamo line?



    Apple sells more of these things each quarter. They always have a "high OMG, do want!!" factor. I'm pretty sure Apple knows what needs to be done in order to maintain the Mac's position in the market.



    You're right, but yesterday I saw my mate's brand new $650 core i5 HP laptop. It had a pretty cool design and really very durable plastic body. I then realized the current MBP-design is getting pretty long in the tooth and boring, but that's very personal of course.



    What I'm saying is: usually I see the extra value in buying Apple products over the generic window boxes. The MBA looks very sexy, and I would take an iMac over any Windows all in one out there, but the "normal" MacBooks and MBP's just don't do it for me anymore.



    So, I really hope Apple will amaze me the coming week
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    You're right, but yesterday I saw my mate's brand new $650 core i5 HP laptop. It had a pretty cool design and really very durable plastic body. I then realized the current MBP-design is getting pretty long in the tooth and boring, but that's very personal of course.



    What I'm saying is: usually I see the extra value in buying Apple products over the generic window boxes. The MBA looks very sexy, and I would take an iMac over any Windows all in one out there, but the "normal" MacBooks and MBP's just don't do it for me anymore.



    So, I really hope Apple will amaze me the coming week



    There is a lot more to an item than the base specs, like display size and CPU type. For instance, Apple is still the leader across the board for display quality. Size, weight and durability of a notebook for given type. These are things that just aren?t happening on a $650 HP. It?s just not possible.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post


    Only thing I can come up with is that they're adding something significant and expensive enough to require the jump in prices in the higher end models. Could be material (Carbon Fiber, LiquidMetal, etc) or maybe quad-core chips, since they only have dual-core versions right now. Not sure what that means for the lower-end models though, if they're getting the same upgrade or not.



    I don't think any of that would account for the price. It's more likely SSD substitution of HDD's in those cases.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    Well, if this is true I guess we'll have to wait another generation for price drops... They cannot sell the same machines with speed bumps for these prices. Competition certainly is starting to catch up with Apple in terms of build quality....



    Really? That must be why Mac sales are hurting.....



    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...says_firm.html
  • Reply 11 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post


    You're right, but yesterday I saw my mate's brand new $650 core i5 HP laptop. It had a pretty cool design and really very durable plastic body. I then realized the current MBP-design is getting pretty long in the tooth and boring, but that's very personal of course.



    What I'm saying is: usually I see the extra value in buying Apple products over the generic window boxes. The MBA looks very sexy, and I would take an iMac over any Windows all in one out there, but the "normal" MacBooks and MBP's just don't do it for me anymore.



    So, I really hope Apple will amaze me the coming week



    A cheap laptop is still a cheap laptop. I'm willing to bet it doesn't last that long, or perform as well as you might think.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Apple will be sending press invitations tomorrow.



    But you didn't read that from me
  • Reply 13 of 47
    As much as I'd like to have a unibody, my next laptop will be an asus hackintosh for the same price range. But with USB3, bluray, quad cores, etc. (or similar, that I could actually get os x on)









    $1,700 no tax





    Intel Core i7-740QM (1.73GHz Quad-Core with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz)

    8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 4 SODIMM Sockets, up to 8GB

    1TB (500G 7200RPM x2) HDD; Blue-Ray Disk Combo Drive; 802.11 b/g/n

    Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5; Windows Home Premium 64-bit Operating System

    17.3-Inch Full HD (1920x1080) LED Display; 2.0M Webcam; Gaming Backpack and Mouse;EAX 5.0 Sound Thx True Sound





    Bag of Happy
  • Reply 14 of 47
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    It will be Sandy Bridge, a more Air-like case, SSDs and a new light-peak port. I don't know why they'd have a press event at all unless it's to explain Light Peak to the press, or explain why they are dropping optical drives on some/all models. Otherwise a faster CPU and nicer case just speaks for itself.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post


    As much as I'd like to have a unibody, my next laptop will be an asus hackintosh for the same price range. But with USB3, bluray, quad cores, etc. (or similar, that I could actually get os x on)



    What USB 3.0 accessories do you have? For what backup purpose do you require an internal Blu-ray drive? What usage requirement do you have that makes you need a quad-core CPU at the expense of long battery life, something typically prefered by notebook users.



    I'm sure you have your reasons but your post does sound like you are going for the *best* marketing buzzwords for a component type.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    BestBuy.com is also listing two new apple computers in their Apple Laptop category (way down at the bottom.) This also coincides with now 5 models not available for shipping (which I believe is up from a couple of days ago.)



    The details of the two new Apple computers are not listed, but based on the prices it looks like its the listing for the two 13" models ($1199 and $1499).



    I'm glad I've been following this site for a while now and holding off on buying a new MBP.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,213moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UndefinedAJ View Post


    Apple will be sending press invitations tomorrow.



    But you didn't read that from me



    I'm sure they've done that on Friday in the past. It seems a bit late to issue them the day before but I guess it won't matter. All the European stores went down Friday night I think it was so it seems fairly likely the update is coming.



    I didn't think they'd wait too long after today's launch:



    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...0M&spec-codes=



    This is their most important computer line and stretched to the longest update period in the company history for this model.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post


    What USB 3.0 accessories do you have? For what backup purpose do you require an internal Blu-ray drive? What usage requirement do you have that makes you need a quad-core CPU at the expense of long battery life, something typically prefered by notebook users.



    I bought a Mac Book and use it mostly as a desktop. It has not needed to leave my home since I bought it. Why do that? At the time I wanted a Mac Mini but Apple was taking way too long to bring out the newest models. So instead of buying a maxed out Mini I bought a refurbished Mac Book 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo for only $150 more than a Mini.



    I got a keyboard, track pad, screen, and camera for just $150. The processor was faster than the best of the Minis too.



    In my new job I'll be needing the portability for doing presentations. I'm glad I got the Mac Book instead of the Mini.



    Some people want to have great features for their own reasons. Maybe that is why many people want Blu-Ray capability.



    Processor speeds are just about fast enough for me these days. When the Core 2 Duo level chips are available in netbooks and they have USB 3, esata, or lightpeak connectors That will be all I'll ever need to do the things I do today.



    Smallwheels
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't think any of that would account for the price. It's more likely SSD substitution of HDD's in those cases.



    Ok, but would that mean that only the higher-end models are getting SSD's, or are the smaller models merely gaining small-sized SSD's? I can't see myself getting a laptop with anything smaller than 256GB, and with most of the better model SSD's reserving as much as 70GB as backup to lengthen the life, even that seems tight. It would explain, however, the reason for the dropping of the $1999 15' Pro. The low 15 would have a 256GB and the higher a 512GB: the price difference requiring the large jump in price. Ditto for the 17 inch.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I don't think any of that would account for the price. It's more likely SSD substitution of HDD's in those cases.



    This! I predict the low end models of each size will have SSD and no dvd drive. The higher price models will have both HD and build in DvD drive on top of better specs (memory, cpu, gpu ...)
Sign In or Register to comment.