MacBook Pro rumor roundup: Sandy Bridge, Thunderbolt, flash memory & more

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

You can buy an external DVD drive

You can't buy thinness or and external GPU.

The point of having laptop or notebook computer is compactness and ease of use.

Having to additionally carry an external drive would defeat the point.

For myself, I do have an iMac.

However, ripping video from DVDs is currently not encouraged the way it is CDs.

This stance will have to change if they expect people to really give up optical disks. At least, I hope so.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Wilkie View Post

Most people are not watching foreign DVDs. Most people are not watching training DVDs. Most people are not using optical discs anymore. I'm sorry that you seem to be stuck using them, but you can't expect Apple to hold back innovation in the name of supporting legacy formats. It's contrary to everything the Mac platform is about.

I agree--I don't want Apple to stop innovating to support legacy formats.

Still, I think it's about 20% of the world's population who are students.

The textbook industry (same as regular books industry) have not embraced being digital, the prices are beyond ridiculous and the media is still often shipped in a sleeve in the book for the teacher's manual and the students.

It would be nice if Apple could encourage DVD-ripping capability on all DVDs and encourage digitally available supplement media.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blueeddie View Post

apple forgot flash, apple learned thunderbolt!

I love this.

Particularly since Flash is an HM and can only be removed (coincidentally, with Thunderbolt being one of the options) by the Move Tutor.

Steve Jobs. Move Tutor. I like it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qoogirl View Post

However, ripping video from DVDs is currently not encouraged the way it is CDs.

This stance will have to change if they expect people to really give up optical disks. At least, I hope so.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by qoogirl View Post

It would be nice if Apple could encourage DVD-ripping capability on all DVDs and encourage digitally available supplement media.

Just screw it. You own the disk? You can legally have a backup; just RIP it. Forget about the "protection".

You don't own it (Netflix or wherever)? Don't be an idiot. Do the right thing.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    Gah, sorry. Expected responses between.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoogH View Post

Bummer. No mention of liquid metal. I see it as unlikely at this point.

I suspect high end models WILL feature SSDs, but not liquid metal enclosure. It is possible that the super high up models will feature this liquid metal, but I doubt it.

I told myself: If they integrate liquid metal AND solid state drives. I'm sold.

Unfortunately, I think they will only implement the SSD.

Now should I buy one? My macbook pro is a little older than 2 years. I purchased the first line of unibody macbooks. But I settle for nothing but the best :P

My guess is that LiquidMetal? or some similar alloy would be too expensive to use as a replacement for aluminium (that's aluminum for you Americans ). If LM is used at all, it's probably going to be in substructure components.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Only Sony and Apple have been using median averages for battery usage under a normal workload, whereas the other vendors are using the maximum time they can pull from the device.

Jobs said in the last event that they have made their battery life claims even more stringent for future products. That tells me that the advancements in Sandy Bridge are going to allow Apple to push even further ahead in battery life than their competition.

Mac OS X has the advantage that Windows does not and Lenovo can?t do anything about that, so for the same capacity battery on the same base HW Apple?s notebooks will use power more efficiently.

PS: How many mAh is that 9-cell battery? I wish they?d use more standard ways to measure.

Battery technology that's more meaningful to me is, for lack of a better term, durability?by which, I mean, a battery that will still hold 10 hours worth of charge after two years of heavy usage. That is more important now, as MacBook batteries are no longer "removable"/replaceable. Being able to run a brand-spankin' new MBA for 10 hours unplugged sounds great. Still being able to run it for 10 hours, two years later, well that would be even greater!

I currently have a 13" MacBook, and when I first got it two years ago, I could easily squeeze 5-7 hours out of the battery without even being "careful". Now, I'm lucky to get an hour before it runs out of juice?even less if I'm using Airport or if it's connected to any peripherals.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    deleted—double post
  • Reply 68 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Only if all cores are being used. Sandy Bridge essentially switches the extra cores off when not in use. Anandtech

I stand corrected. Even the fastest i7 MBP has 7 hour battery life in Apple's updated "real world" tests...

I guess if anyone could pull that off it would be Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post

I saw something being a MAJOR challenge to MBP battery life. the new Thinkpad 14' (16:10) can get up to 10 hours of battery life (6 cell battery) 15 hours (9 cell battery) and a whole 30 hours (9 cell battery + 9 cell splice battery)

Isn't there a point of diminishing returns? Think how long your laptop would last if you carted around a car battery with it, but who is going to do that?