Comments from Apple exec Tim Cook hint at lower-priced iPhone options

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

?

How would it make calls when not if wifi areas if it is wifi only.

You want, basically, a 1G phone. Or some such. A phone which can only do voice off wifi. Thats not wifi only.

He was asking a reasonable question. An iPod touch is a wifi only iPhone.

No it is not. How about this, an iPhone without a 3g/data plan. Therfore I couls still have the phone capabilities, but the data is wifi only.

I don't mind paying for the phone capabilities every month. ( ineed a cell phone) but I don't need 3g access everywhere I go, and do not want to pay for it.

Does that make sense?
  • Reply 42 of 96
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 43 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

No it is not. How about this, an iPhone without a 3g/data plan. Therfore I couls still have the phone capabilities, but the data is wifi only.

I don't mind paying for the phone capabilities every month. ( ineed a cell phone) but I don't need 3g access everywhere I go, and do not want to pay for it.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's an ipod touch. Just put on skype or google voice. Several guides out there on how to make a receive calls on one just like a normal phone.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

How about the ability to make phone calls when not in wifi areas. His point/my ppoint is that there are a lot of people that need to make calls from anywhere but don't need to surf the web from anywhere. For these people a wifi only iPhone is is what we want.

Ok, I was thinking about the WiFi iPad and the 3G iPad and thus to me a WiFi iPhone sounded like a WiFi iPad, just the size of a phone. That is why I was asking as I was obviously not understanding the question.

And for what you describe, you can already get any iPhone and just put SIM with a voice-only plan in it. No need for different hardware, just the need for Apple to sell the iPhone unlocked and contract-free in US as it already does in a lot of countries (removing the 3G radio and just leaving the basic GSM radio inside would not make much of a difference cost-wise).
  • Reply 45 of 96
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

In Germany, some providers go as far and state the loan part explicitly on your bill. Thus, I paid ?10/month for a data modem contract + 5?/month to re-pay the loan (for getting the modem at a reduced price) and after two years, the loan was re-paid and I did not have to pay the ?5/month extra anymore. Forcing the carriers to be explicit about the loan re-payment part of the monthly bill and forcing them to limit the time period over which the loan was re-paid would make the cell phone business much more open and more competitive.

That's it, I'm moving to Germany!

I would love, love, love if that was required here in the US. I'm well past my 2-year contract. I keep my same phone because I like it and don't feel it necessary to upgrade, so I've long since paid off any subsidy I got when buying the phone. So why the h*ll am I still paying the same monthly service fee?
  • Reply 46 of 96
    Quote:

Ok, I was thinking about the WiFi iPad and the 3G iPad and thus to me a WiFi iPhone sounded like a WiFi iPad, just the size of a phone. That is why I was asking as I was obviously not understanding the question.

And for what you describe, you can already get any iPhone and just put SIM with a voice-only plan in it. No need for different hardware, just the need for Apple to sell the iPhone unlocked and contract-free in US as it already does in a lot of countries (removing the 3G radio and just leaving the basic GSM radio inside would not make much of a difference cost-wise).

Finally, we are on the same page. I think there are a decent amount of people that would love this option. The problem is they still want it subsidized. Therefore, like I said earlier, Apple needs to come up with a slick solution here. I'm hoping we have more options come June.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So Steve's only gone a few weeks and already the company's jumping into the join what so many here like to call "the race to the bottom"?

Apple has a good way to handle this - it keeps the lower level entry machines at some disadvantage with under resourced processor, ram , or disk and the idea is that it is an entry level drug. It keeps the top level model at a higher price than the market average maintaining it's brand and overall margin. It doesn't compete at the very very low level.
  • Reply 48 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Yeah, that's an ipod touch. Just put on skype or google voice. Several guides out there on how to make a receive calls on one just like a normal phone.

How is it the same if I can't make a call when I step out of wifi????

I'll make it even easier for you,

I want an ipod touch with a verizon/att (phone only) contract.
  • Reply 49 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Then it's not making/receiving calls even without wifi.

What they meant is, a phone with a cellphone capability, and you can use a sim card to access non-smartphone service (voice/text etc), but there's no 3G connection for data, instead you've to use only wifi for data needs.
  • Reply 50 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Apple already do lower price iPhone options. Right now you get the 8gb iPhone 3GS and when the new iPhone comes out there will be a cheaper version of the iPhone 4.

Anything cheaper would cannibalise iPod touch sales.

Oh yeah, a €519 iPhone 3GS 8 GB is close to cannibalising an iPod touch 8 GB at €229, with the latter having a faster processor, more RAM and higher resolution display?
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Quote:

Does that make sense?

If you ask for plans, the carriers have to offer them, not Apple. You can get imported contract-free iPhones in the US via third-party resellers.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    Quote:

If you ask for plans, the carriers have to offer them, not Apple. You can easily get imported contract-free iPhones in the US via third-party resellers.

I agree. But Apple might be able to come up with a slightly different option that forces a different option from the carriers.

An example might be an integrated sim. Just something to make the carriers actually compete on price and give more power to the customers.
  • Reply 53 of 96
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

Which may be exactly what they have planned. I am surprised Google hasn't gone this route because they already have the VOIP software in place. Dump the cell phone network, stick with wifi.

-kpluck

What nonsensical chatter - wifi only doesn't even come close to working. You need ubiquity and wifi does not provide that.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Quote:

I agree. But Apple might be able to come up with a slightly different option that forces a different option from the carriers.

An example might be an integrated sim. Just something to make the carriers actually compete on price and give more power to the customers.

I also had the feeling that was what Cook was talking about. The problem is that even in markets with healthy competition between carriers, ie, usually countries with more than two carriers using the same technology and allowing phones to be used on either network, the cellphone market is divided into those paying a monthly plan that includes subsidies (and thus entitles them to a subsidised new phone every two years) and those using plans that do not include subsidies, usually prepaid or on short contractual period (eg, monthly).

As long as the subsided market exists and the subsidies not accounted for separately (like a loan re-payment), handset makers and providers are still tempted to offer phones for this less price-sensitive market with higher margins and people paying higher monthly plans without getting a new phone every two years.
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Quote:

I also had the feeling that was what Cook was talking about. The problem is that even in markets with healthy competition between carriers, ie, usually countries with more than two carriers using the same technology and allowing phones to be used on either network, the cellphone market is divided into those paying a monthly plan that includes subsidies (and thus entitles them to a subsidised new phone every two years) and those using plans that do not include subsidies, usually prepaid or on short contractual period (eg, monthly).

As long as the subsided market exists and the subsidies not accounted for separately (like a loan re-payment), handset makers and providers are still tempted to offer phones for this less price-sensitive market with higher margins and people paying higher monthly plans without getting a new phone every two years.

I def. agree. My wishlist:

a $500 iPhone 5 unlocked and sim integrated so I can choose the carrier I want. Also, like the iPad 3g I want the ability to pay for 3g/4g data or not. Then sit back and see what carrier wants my business.

The carriers will still offer a subsidy price with a contract, and most people will be dumb enough to choose it.
  • Reply 56 of 96
    Quote:

Way to give the competition a soundbyte.

It's "sound bite", not "byte". I see this error repeatedly made.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

In what way would the current iPod touch not qualify as WiFi-only iPhone in your eyes. What would Apple have to add to it for you to consider it a WiFi-only iPhone and thus buy it?

a phone?
  • Reply 58 of 96
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member
    Quote:

And for what you describe, you can already get any iPhone and just put SIM with a voice-only plan in it.

Until AT&T detects that you are using an iPhone and sends you a SMS telling you they have already added a data plan for you.... how nice.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

If Cook is ever going to run the company, he's going to have to learn the Jobsian art of saying very very little. He's already said too much. Does he imply that Apple products have been only for the rich up until now? If so I strongly disagree. Me and my friends are some of the least wealthy people I know, while still having jobs in a major city. We all have Apple gear, and we don't consider the money spent on it "disposable". I think he's falling prey to the negative rhetoric by defending that which requires no explanation. Jobs wold have said it differently, if at all.

Quote:

Way to give the competition a soundbyte.

So Steve's only gone a few weeks and already the company's jumping into the join what so many here like to call "the race to the bottom"?

Both excellent observations.
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

Until AT&T detects that you are using an iPhone and sends you a SMS telling you they have already added a data plan for you.... how nice.

Then sue them, a voice-only plan and the SIM that goes along with it can be used in any phone unless the contract for that voice-only plan explicitly says otherwise. Or get a voice plan from another GSM provider if AT&T does not offer a phone-agnostic voice plan. Any prepaid T-Mobile plan should fit your bill (as long as T-Mobile coverage covers you), since you do not plan to use 3G data, the different 3G frequencies are irrelevant.

Or go to a MVNP that is based on GSM, here is one I found for CDMA networks, I am sure there must be some for GSM networks as well: http://www.9to5mac.com/51533/what-do...hone-look-like