Gartner lowers PC sales forecast, says Apple's iPad 'redefining' computing

Comments

• Reply 41 of 114
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

Not bad for a big iPod touch huh.

Actually this might have been funny a year ago, but seeing what kind of apps came out for iPad, no it's not a big iPod touch. It's an iPad.
  • Reply 42 of 114
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

I might agree, but I'm not sure. The makers of these products (Apple included) do tend to lapse into buzzword compliance and to drop vague but loaded terms such as "media," but I don't see where this has any impact on what the device actually does. For one, I find Keynote on the iPad to be a first rate business app, if using it to make presentations instead of a laptop is included in this category. I've even done some writing with Pages on the iPad, though if I was to make a frequent practice of it, I'd probably invest in a physical keyboard. Anyhow, from yesterday's presentation I see Apple pointing a big neon sign towards a future they're calling the "post-PC era." I'm not sure what this landscape will look like, but I'm more than ready to move on from the place we've been for too long.

I've got so many apps that let me do so many things I needed my powerhouse to do previously, that this is a full fledged computer to me. Now, the first place I go to to get so many things done, is my iPad, and I imagine that will become even more so with the new model.

It's really funny. But I never could find a good reason to get a laptop. At first, they were too weak to do anything I needed. Then when that became no longer true, it was a question of which one. I would always look for the most powerful, the highest Rez, etc. But even though I have no problem spending whatever I need to for something, I could never find a good excuse to get one. I thought that if I wouldn't carry it almost everywhere, what was the point? And I didn't want to carry around a 4 to 7 pound slab in a case that added another pound or two, with a charger.

But I stood in line last year, May 3rd, to buy the 3G iPad, and I'm happy I did. Now, I carry this almost everywhere I go, and even with the lucky find of a case not intended for this, but perfectly sized, I hardly know I'm carrying it, from the weight.
  • Reply 43 of 114
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The iPad can't be a PC... it doesn't have Flash!

Who needs flash, it will slowly die anyway. Blah!
  • Reply 44 of 114
    eberghebergh Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

People will still buy PCs. Why? Because you still need one to update/backup your iPad

If Apple give us access to free storage on the Cloud with a free MobileMe service, you would not need that PC to back up to anymore and the iPad could finally be unshackled from a second desktop/laptop computer to connect via iTunes for updates, downloads etc.

I suspect a LOT of new buyers do not realize they need to access the Apple Store through an Intel powered Mac or PC to get their iPad up and running and to back up. Breaking that chain will make the iPad a truly independent technology in it's own right.
  • Reply 45 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

With Android updating over the air. I've been asking what happens if you are updating your OS OTA and something goes wrong.

I have a friend with a Moto Droid where this did happen. He ended up plugging his phone into a computer and reloading the entire OS and all of his apps and information. He didn't have an iTunes so it was a total pain in the ass for him.

Hey Tino, haven't seen you here for a while.

Well, what do you think about this first stab at video editing on the iPad 2? What I'd love to see is an editor that could do work on compressed files, possibly in Apple's format, and pass the info, in standard format, to their studio equipment later, the way we can do it now with FCS on a Mac Book Pro.
  • Reply 46 of 114
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Who needs flash, it will slowly die anyway. Blah!

Actually... that was sarcasm.

My take... unless Adobe does some coding magic the competitor tabs will kill Flash once and for all.

The competitors will tout Flash to the moon only to find out that battery life is severely diminished if Flash is implemented.

Flash will then be verboten!
  • Reply 47 of 114
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No, it's still a lot more than that. While needing a computer for updates to the OS, and most, but not all, backups, it's annoying, but not fatal. I only sync every few days or so. That's not being tied to my computer. And I don't find iTunes to be a hinderance.

You're thinking in the old ways when you want to get rid of iTunes here. I think of iTunes as being one of the best features of this. It's what makes things so easy.

It won't take the place of my Mac Pro for, as Steve says, the heavy lifting, but I'm using it more and more for more things I would be sitting in front of my computer for.

You are correct about iTunes. I don't think it will go away.

But like Ebergh pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised that when Steve launches its Cloud, most won't need a PC at all.

Except, like now, for example, developing iPad software, only a Mac.

And as they say, "Behind every cloud is a silver lining."

P.S. Thanks for the catch.
  • Reply 48 of 114
    bytorx1bytorx1 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

iPad is a mobile PC.

NO IT'S NOT! it's a mobile device but NOT a PC/Computer etc.

do not mis categorize the iPAd and what it does and how it does it.
  • Reply 49 of 114
    Well, I for one, will get an iPad2 and with my iP4 and my original Intel iMac am good to go.

I doubt I will ever buy a desktop again. When my iMac dies, I will replace it with an 11" MBA.

I sold my ATV for $99 and will get the new ATV, soon. That's about all I want. The less tech I have around the better.

Best
  • Reply 50 of 114
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Hey Mel, I've been in and out. I think we've mostly been posting to different threads.

I'm amazed that we can edit HD video on an iPad. Only a few years ago a PowerMac G5 was required to do any reasonable amount of HD video work. Notebooks could edit but rendering anything took forever.

Yes it will be great if the iPad could output a FCP XML file.

Quote:

Hey Tino, haven't seen you here for a while.

Well, what do you think about this first stab at video editing on the iPad 2? What I'd love to see is an editor that could do work on compressed files, possibly in Apple's format, and pass the info, in standard format, to their studio equipment later, the way we can do it now with FCS on a Mac Book Pro.

• Reply 51 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebergh View Post

If Apple give us access to free storage on the Cloud with a free MobileMe service, you would not need that PC to back up to anymore and the iPad could finally be unshackled from a second desktop/laptop computer to connect via iTunes for updates, downloads etc.

I suspect a LOT of new buyers do not realize they need to access the Apple Store through an Intel powered Mac or PC to get their iPad up and running and to back up. Breaking that chain will make the iPad a truly independent technology in it's own right.

That's true. But as most people buying one of these already have a computer, it just isn't a big deal. And for those not having a computer yet, they can buy a used, low end notebook that has XP service pack 3, or Vista, or Win 7 for about $200-250, and use that, because they all will accept iTunes 10.2, which is needed for iOS 4.3. That's not much more than an external HDD.

In addition, downloading an OS upgrade, or one of the newer games requires almost a GB of data. You'd be crazy to want to download that over the air, even using WiFi "n". So you really need to hook up with a cable anyway.

Independence is better, but it's not as much of an improvement as some seem to think it is.
  • Reply 52 of 114
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

No, it's still a lot more than that. While needing a computer for updates to the OS, and most, but not all, backups, it's annoying, but not fatal. I only sync every few days or so. That's not being tied to my computer. And I don't find iTunes to be a hinderance.

You're thinking in the old ways when you want to get rid of iTunes here. I think of iTunes as being one of the best features of this. It's what makes things so easy.

It won't take the place of my Mac Pro for, as Steve says, the heavy lifting, but I'm using it more and more for more things I would be sitting in front of my computer for.

I'm with you on that. Personally I find the need to connect to a PC no problem at all - in fact the only time I really connect is when it's time for an OS update. I only really use it to consume, so I don't need to worry about regular backups. That said, it would be good if you could do away with the need to connect to a computer completely - I do think that's a logical step.

What I find incredible about this report is that if the other reports I've seen that Apple will ship >40 million iPads this year, that means they will ship >10% as many iPads as there are PC's shipped. Regardless of the "is the iPad a PC debate", that's a simply staggering number, coming from nothing a year ago.
  • Reply 53 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Then you don't know what a computer is. This does the same things a more conventional computer does in its short existence. I do writing, drawing, painting, CAD, photo, and now video editing, spreadsheets, database work, and other things.

Oh, yes, it also does the media consumption that we've been relying on our "computers" for all these years.
  • Reply 54 of 114
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Then you don't know what a computer is. This does the same things a more conventional computer does in its short existence. I do writing, drawing, painting, CAD, photo, and now video editing, spreadsheets, database work, and other things.

Oh, yes, it also does the media consumption that we've been relying on our "computers" for all these years.

I agree.

This is really a function of how broad the term "computer" is. Given the dictionary definition is "an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations." most calculators are that!

The important thing for me is that I can do almost everything I used to do on my desktop with the iPad. It doesn't matter what you call it, that's pretty neat!
  • Reply 55 of 114
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

People will still buy PCs. Why? Because you still need one to update/backup your iPad

For now.

Remember to tag that to any statement about iPad's limitations.

For now.
  • Reply 56 of 114
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    I constantly find myself explaining to people that I get FAR more functionality and use out of my iPad than I do out of my 27" desktop.

There are a few very specific things that take tons of memory, or very generalized use (editing, programming, etc) that I still need a full Mac for.

But the iPad is an extension of me.

It knows where I am, how I'm moving, where I'm pointing, and can perform specific valuable tasks using that information in a way that no laptop or desktop can.

People have to get past the idea that computing is about number crunching or word processing, and understand that they are evolving to be an extension of our senses.

Generalized tools are rapidly giving way to focused, useful, functionality.

Flat out, if I now had to choose between my iPad and my desktop, I'd go with my iPad without a second thought. There would be more useful things I'd lose without my iPad than I would without a desktop.
  • Reply 57 of 114
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Less we forget, the iPad has more power in it now than the big computers that controlled the early Appolo program; more power than the early mainframe computers of IBM in the 1960's-70's that occupied rooms and cryo-cooling to run. [So, they say.]

The day will come when the iPad will practically be standalone and be more powerful than they are now. This would be more than powerful for the needs of the layman -- email, simple text creation, image editing, chat and Facetime, stuff like that. Thus, it could then replace the current desktop and notebooks for many average users.

I like the truly unibody form, and with a very sturdy elegant cover for the screen. I would prefer the iPad form over the clam shell notebook -- compact and sturdy. This was what I had in mind when I first saw the original iPad.

I predict that there will be more sizes for the iPad, larger screens and more powerful ones for more professional uses. There will be more dedicated small screen forms, perhaps more akin to a larger iPod touch, more for specialized uses, e.g., credit card and transactions by the delivery people, factory foremen, roving cashiers and some other less RAM intensive functions.

To those who still think the iPad is a toy, just read more, and go outside your confines -- restaurants, car dealerships, salespeople, more innovative hospitals and research institutions. If you like art, you would find how the iPad has captured the imagination of digital artists, both young and old, as well as graphic artists, cartoonists, etc.. If you are into science and technology, biomedicine and research, engineering, the iPad would be more practical for any image visualization than the e-Readers used in laybook reading. Science and Technology including many more specialized fields like biomedicine (including pharmacy) are big in visual imaging. That the iPad and similar tablets are portable and compact make them even more suitable for the intensive interactions in these fields, even more so than in the business enterprise.

You will be amazed what people are doing with it, beyond consumptions.

It has become more than consumption, but a mode for creation, discovery and enhanced interactions. Because of its larger size possibilities, it would have more far-reaching impact than the smartphone.

One last thing, it is likely the iPad and simiar devices would not have all those USBs and connections we are accustomed with today. The trend is wireless interconnectivity and cloud computing.

CGC
  • Reply 58 of 114
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

iPad is a mobile PC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bytorx1 View Post

Quote:

Guys, guys, the answer's already been given (by SPJ himself, already):

The iPad is a mobile POST-PC.

As a few like to say around here, "there, I fixed it for you."
  • Reply 59 of 114
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

First off, for what it is, the ipad and ipad 2 are very cool, that said, is anyone else alarmed about how fast people seem to be saying that this is the new computing? these "tablet and smartphones will kill PC" talk frighten me, there is no openness on these devices: can you run browser addins like noscript or adblock on android or IOS? can you change the default web browser? the default email client?

The lock peice also bugs me. if I buyu hardware, I dont want to be told what network it can or cannot connect to arbitrarily, I dont want my vendor or acrrier blocking updates and such...imagine if Comcast could say "we dont want you to have feature x of OSX or Windows 7" and they could force you to not have that piece, that would never stand, yet we take it in phones and tablets? why?

You can still buy a horse and buggy.

PCs aren't going away anytime soon.

And if you want even more freedom you can use Linux or even jailbreak.
  • Reply 60 of 114
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by photoeditor View Post

The game changer hasn't happened yet. iPad needs to be truly independent of a computer. And that means unshackling it from iTunes. Giving it the power to configure a WiFi router. Enabling it to access the iTunes store and App store directly through WiFi or 3G.

Apple can make worthwhile changes with the 2012 update, like doubling the flash storage and doubling the screen resolution, but without unshackling it from PC-based iTunes it won't have truly redefined computing. And that's a dangerous step for Apple as well as for everyone else. Until that step is taken, it's basically an iPod touch with a usable screen.

Well, I for one am truly happy, that apple has no obligation to take your suggestions serious. iTunes is a great tool as it is and it gets better and better. I see it as the central hub for all my iDevices. I wouldn't want to miss it's convinience. the other thing you mentioned about iPad not being able to have direct acess to the app store must be a misunderstanding, since it works perfectly, be it WiFi or 3G. May be you should once try to get your hands on a physical iPad and see for yourself instead of regurgitating some stuff from android fan sites.