Inside AT&T vs Verizon iPad 2 data service plans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    gsteenogsteeno Posts: 56member
    This is not iPad specific, but I wonder what the effect of a cloud-based MobileMe is going to have on these data caps and user's usage. I rarely go over 400MB per month, but with MM supposedly being our digital locker, these data caps will not suffice with the myriad of way to connect with my content. I surmise Apple and the telcos have discussed this, but I'm could be blissfully ignorant too.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    These plans seem like the most convoluted pile of sh*t. Why not just charge per MB? Seems like the answer is if they did that they couldn't bilk as much money out of the customers.

I am happy I still have my original iPhone and unlimited data.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    That slider calculator look handy. I'm going to see how many mine would be based on my previous months even though I don't live in the states. Ta.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asst. Prof. View Post

Even better? That's a strange choice of phrase for describing the tethering charges.

You expecting "more gooder!"? Half the people who post here ain't got good English...
  • Reply 25 of 41
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

This is true....AT&T adds 2GB to your tethered plan for a total of 4GB.

So Verizon is going to stick me with activation fees each time I enable it? The heck with you.

The first time is bad enough, but the others is not cool. Basically they are tryin to stick it to folks to make sure they stay signed up. So I agree, to heck with that. ATT's rates may not be super awesome but at least I can turn it off without penalty. Pity really about Verizon. If their rates had been a real threat maybe ATT would have improved to compete. This won't help to change anything

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Those international rates are so obscene...

$15K+ for a GB of data?

Oh yea- electrons crossing a border.. mm hmm. totally justified. You know- because there are magical portal devices that burn unicorn poop for power to facilitate the transport of these AMAZING Kbs...

what a fucking joke.

International rates are high because ATT etc have to pay for the local services to handle the call. And those guys charge ATT etc a lot.

So they prefer that you pop in a local sim when possible. And hopefully this summer or next Apple will give up and just sell the iPhone unlocked everywhere
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

Why not just charge per MB?

Charge per actual use, a reasonable MB charge!...

Oh man and apply common sense to the whole thing? Is you crazy!?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

Wow, what does Unicorn Poop even look like (I'm guessing white, which is why Jobs has had so much trouble getting enough for the mystical iphone).

Actually, it sounds like the name of a band.

Hey, doesn't it have silver blood, according the the Harry Potter movies?... Just don't drink it!...
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Cross-border interconnection rates seem to have changed little since the early days of the telephone.

It is both shocking and maddening that in the 21st century, with all the global trade and foreign travel and cross-border investment, this stupid and obvious thievery still persists.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    $0.15c KB

$15.00 MB

$15,000 GB

$15,000,000 TB

Or in Europe close to $20,000,000 per TB

I just dont understand how any carrier can justify that. I would have thought that there is at least a TB of casual traffic everday from roaming customers. ($7.3 billion annually).
  • Reply 30 of 41
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

Those international rates are so obscene...

$15K+ for a GB of data?

Oh yea- electrons crossing a border.. mm hmm. totally justified. You know- because there are magical portal devices that burn unicorn poop for power to facilitate the transport of these AMAZING Kbs...

what a fucking joke.

I don't know who does math for AI, but 15 tenths of a cent per kilobyte is $.0015/KB. That eqates to $1.5/MB or $1500/GB. Still outrageous, but not $15,000.

Also, why does AI say "195 tenths of a cent"? Who talks about tenths of a cent? Why not say $1.95/KB (which would be $19,500/GB, and is ludicrous).
  • Reply 31 of 41
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

I don't know who does math for AI, but 15 tenths of a cent per kilobyte is $.0015/KB. That eqates to $1.5/MB or $1500/GB. Still outrageous, but not $15,000.

Um, no. 15 tenths is $0.015 so AI's math is correct. It's their English that's f'ed up.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member
    So, for example, on April 1st I sign up for AT&T's 250MB plan. On april 27th I hit 250MB and receive a notification that I've hit 100% of my plan. If I continue, I pay $15 for an additional 250MB. What does that $15 get me? Am I paying that additional $15 for four days use until the end of April or does the clock start over and a new month of data starts on April 27th?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    lfmorrisonlfmorrison Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is offering iPad 2 in two carrier options within the US, but AT&T and Verizon's plans differ significantly.

AT&T iPad data plans

AT&T continues to offer its no commitment plan that users can start or stop anytime without incurring any fees. While it originally offered an unlimited 3G data plan for iPad users, it currently only offers a 250MB cap for $15 and a 2GB plan for $25.

In addition to 3G data service, AT&T also offers access to its network of WiFi hot spots to its DataConnect plan users (use of which does not count against the data limits). The carrier is also running a special offer of a free month of base service worth $25, and is also currently selling the original iPad models at $100 off, meaning the entry level 16GB iPad 3G is now $529.

Users who go over their data limit are hit with either a $15 charge per each 250MB increment on the smaller plan, or a $10 charge per each additional 1GB on the larger option. AT&T sends its users warning messages when they hit 65, 90 and 100 percent of their data plan. The company provides an interactive calculator to help users estimate how much data they're likely to need based on their use.

AT&T's policy for going over your plan's allotment differs depending on whether you're prepaid or postpaid.

For postpaid, if you go over your allotment, you're hit with an automatic overage fee, as represented in this article. Either $15 per additional 250 MB if you're on the 250 MB plan, or $10 per additional 1GB if you're on the 2GB plan. These fees are automatically applied as soon as you attempt to use data over and above your plan's allotment.

For prepaid, there's really no such thing as an overage fee. As soon as you hit your allotment, the plan is effectively used up, and if you take no further action you basically will not be permitted to use any more data at all until the plan renews itself at the start of the next 30-day cycle. If you want to continue using data, you must take the active decision to purchase a whole new data allotment, presumably starting over a brand new 30-day cycle on the spot.

The prepaid option has the benefit of offering more predictability in your billing, which makes it easier to plan a budget. You only pay for fees that you make the active decision to pay, and there are never any unexpected charges. The drawbacks are:

1) the inconvenience of potentially having your data session interrupted midstream while you decide whether or not you want to purchase a new allotment

2) less granularity in purchasing additional data -- after you go over 2GB, you can only buy additional data in 2GB chunks rather than 1GB chunks

3) the fact that each additional GB of data costs an average of $2.50 more than it would if you had purchased that same additional GB as a postpaid customer.

The post-paid option offers the benefit of a slightly cheaper incremental rate for the consumers with the largest consumption, and the convenience of not needing to worry about your data session suddenly shuutting off when the allotment runs out. The trade-off is that you have to take a more proactive role in monitoring your data usage if your budget planning requires you to avoid incurring unintended charges.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    If you can tether an iPhone to an iPad, can you do the reverse? The reason im asking, is these data roaming rates. Living in Canada, when I travel to the U.S. I have no data. I can buy a U.S. Based sim card for the iPad, so could I then tether my phone to it?
  • Reply 35 of 41
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

If you can tether an iPhone to an iPad, can you do the reverse? The reason im asking, is these data roaming rates. Living in Canada, when I travel to the U.S. I have no data. I can buy a U.S. Based sim card for the iPad, so could I then tether my phone to it?

Tethering isn't supported on the iPad at all, so you can't tether your iPad's plan to other devices. Of course, if you jailbreak your iPad, then you can do all sorts of things with it, including tethering. No word if the iPad 2 is currently jailbreakable, and use at your own risk, of course.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    You do not need to pay an extra $15 for Exchange on Verizon. I only pay $30/month and have multiple Exchange accounts.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    My understanding is that AT&T will pro-rate your post-paid data plan with no hassles or fees. So if you need a plan only for a few days per month, you buy a plan of whatever size, then cancel it when you are done. You will be credited the unused amount, assuming your usage is proportionate to the data allowance per day. So...use 5 days, pay for 5 days.

Verizon, however, appears to not offer this. I heard from a Verizon rep they do have post-paid plans (not just pre-paid), but everytime you disconnect the plan, your account is terminated. Apparently you must pay an activation fee of $35 whenever you restart the plan. This is as of March 9, and their iPad 2 data plans have not been officially announced, so they might change their policies.

Still....can anyone verify the above information based on actual experience or more definitive information?
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevlevin View Post

My understanding is that AT&T will pro-rate your post-paid data plan with no hassles or fees. So if you need a plan only for a few days per month, you buy a plan of whatever size, then cancel it when you are done. You will be credited the unused amount, assuming your usage is proportionate to the data allowance per day. So...use 5 days, pay for 5 days.

Verizon, however, appears to not offer this. I heard from a Verizon rep they do have post-paid plans (not just pre-paid), but everytime you disconnect the plan, your account is terminated. Apparently you must pay an activation fee of $35 whenever you restart the plan. This is as of March 9, and their iPad 2 data plans have not been officially announced, so they might change their policies.

Still....can anyone verify the above information based on actual experience or more definitive information?

I just call Verizon's Customer Service (March 10 at 9:30 a.m. PST) and was told their data plan was just released and requires $35 to start up, with 1 gig at $20, 3 gig at $35, and 5 gig at $50.

Looks like I'm going with AT&T since I will use 3g only sporadically.

Hope Verizon reconsiders before I line up tomorrow.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    I just spoke to one person from Verizon sales and another person from customer service. They both told me that there was no activation fee for iPad 2 3G service. None. Not once not ever. Now I still don't trust them but I cannot find anything in writing (on Verizon's website) that mentions an activation fee for the iPad 2.

I'm still leaning toward AT&T. My past experience with Verizon customer service (for DSL and phone) has been so bad I think I would rather not give them anymore of my business than necessary. Either way they really blew it not getting a clear message out there like AT&T did about additional charges.

I'm guessing those reps that are quoting a $35 activation fee are working from old info. Has anyone else talk to a Verizon rep about this?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Both the ATT and Verizon plans seem outrageously expensive to me.

With the wide availability of WiFi in cages, restaurants, Ubiquitous Starbucks, and in friend's homes, I do not really feel the need for cell data service for my iPad. on the other hand, the Virgin Modile prepay MiFi comes out cheaper than having an integral cell device in my iPad. And, their plan can be turn on or off as needed. for example, if you are going on a trip and wnt the serve, you can turn it on just for that month.