Apple releases iOS 4.3 with faster JavaScript, support for AirPlay in apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

Downloading, but is there any gestures like the five finger one?

When in any app, five finger pinch gets you back to home screen. 4 or 5 finger swipe to the left or right switches app, 4 to 5 up reveals multitasking bar. Works like a charm.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmmmm... I just tried my AppleTV -- It shows that my software is current, but I don't see MLB or NBA.

I had previously installed 4.3 ATV beta (attached the ATV to the Mac & installed through iTunes).

I wonder if I ned to reset the ATV?

Installing beta's can cause a problem.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

Mmmmm... I just tried my AppleTV -- It shows that my software is current, but I don't see MLB or NBA.

I had previously installed 4.3 ATV beta (attached the ATV to the Mac & installed through iTunes).

I wonder if I ned to reset the ATV?

Attach it to your Mac and restore it - it automatically installs the latest OS.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

When in any app, five finger pinch gets you back to home screen. 4 or 5 finger swipe to the left or right switches app, 4 to 5 up reveals multitasking bar. Works like a charm.

Are you saying these gestures are in iOS 4.3? I know they were in the betas, but I thought they removed them from the release version?
  • Reply 45 of 93
    cramyorcramyor Posts: 6member
    Anyone know if the Hotspot feature will work on Telus in Canada? How about on a 3GS? I thought I read somewhere that the Hotspot feature was only for iPhone 4.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Are you saying these gestures are in iOS 4.3? I know they were in the betas, but I thought they removed them from the release version?

I'm running iOS 4.3 GM and the gestures are still present...
  • Reply 47 of 93
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yeah, they were still present there, and you can turn them on if you jail break your iPhone.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh! You can use a Windows PC instead.

Uh, Windows vs. Mac is not the issue. I have lots of computers, just that my main one is down and has been for a while. There are workarounds but none of them are totally safe, especially after not syncing for so long.

Besides which I'd rather cut my fingers off than use Windows for anything.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cramyor View Post

Anyone know if the Hotspot feature will work on Telus in Canada? How about on a 3GS? I thought I read somewhere that the Hotspot feature was only for iPhone 4.

As a fellow Canadian, all the major carriers have announced support for the hotspot feature. click on the link below to get more information;

www.iphoneincanada.ca

And, yes it is true the Hotspot feature works ONLY on iPhone 4, no other iDevices.
  • Reply 50 of 93
    Quote:

Thanks for completely not clearing that up. :/
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Thanks for completely not clearing that up. :/

It's quite clear - I'm running the same build as the general public AND the gestures are still present.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halocline View Post

I happened to have my MBA with me today at work, so didn't do it with 4.3, but I can confirm that this has worked in the past: simply plug your iPhone into any computer with iTunes and do the software update. Doesn't need to be the computer you normally sync, can even be a PC when you normally use Mac, and maintains all settings.

Thanks for the info. I know this already, but I'm concerned about what will happen when I eventually do have to sync. If it doesn't recognise my substantially changed device it could cause me huge amounts of work so I'm waiting.

I havent synced for over a month now, and I run with very little space left on all my iOs devices. So over the last month lots of things have crashed and screwed up like cover art disappearing and random changes to the iTunes library. I have a rather vast media library and a lot of documents that are currently only saved in MobileMe's cloud.

Since all of the glitches I've been experiencing over the last month as iOS slowly corrupts itself in the absence of the sync shouldn't really, technically be happening at all, I'm erring on the side of caution instead. I already have no clear idea what's going to happen when I eventually plug-in again, I don't want to exacerbate the problem.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Just for the record, Xcode can be downloaded from the Mac app store for only $4.99.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Yes they are working in the release of iOS 4.3 today. Not just the GM version.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Installing beta's can cause a problem.

Yeah!

It says I am up to date.

But, it won't let me restore -- says it can't download the ATV software right now... try again, later.

Pfffft!
  • Reply 56 of 93
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    I understand it for some features, but why is the 2'nd gen Touch left out for things like the faster Javascript engine? Especially considering the 8GB model last year was the 2'nd gen hardware, not third, so its still fairly new. That sucks. And they didn't fully fix the slowness issue on iOS4 on the older hardware, apparently they never will.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:

Attach it to your Mac and restore it - it automatically installs the latest OS.

Thx.

Restoring now!

Edit:

That does the trick -- sweet!
  • Reply 58 of 93
    Quote:

Just for the record, Xcode can be downloaded from the Mac app store for only $4.99.

Mmm... I wonder what it includes -- XCode, Organizer and Simulator?

Since I get it as part of the $99 iOS Developer program, so I won't waste another $5.

I think that XCode 4 could become Apple's generic IDE -- for HTML, iAds, iTunes Extras, etc.

I also would like to see a high-level programming capability for the iPad on the iPad!

HyperCard anyone?

Edit: The iOS Developer site indicates that 4.3 is still beta (I guess that means NDA is in effect) but the diffs link redirects to the index -- you can't see the diffs.

Ah, well.... maybe time to get ready for iOS 5 beta
  • Reply 59 of 93
    Quote:

Mmm... I wonder what it includes -- XCode, Organizer and Simulator?

Since I get it as part of the $99 iOS Developer program, so I won't waste another $5.

I think that XCode 4 could become Apple's generic IDE -- for HTML, iAds, iTunes Extras, etc.

I also would like to see a high-level programming capability for the iPad on the iPad!

HyperCard anyone?

Yeah, it's a free download for developers. But for the general public wanting to enable gestures with their iPad, this may be an option. If I remember correctly, to enable gestures with Xcode, all you have to do is opt to use your device for development.

Can someone confirm?
  • Reply 60 of 93
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Yep. After going from 4.2.1 to 4.3, the five-finger up/down gestures work on my iPhone 4 that has never seen a beta installed on it, never unlocked, or jailbroken. As clean as you can get!

The five fingers are cramped but I might get used to it.

Now to Google and find out what all the extra gestures are... unless someone on here already knows?

Edit: Would you believe that after doing a sync, I no longer have the five-finger gestures for open and closing the multi-tasking bar?!!!