Comments

• Reply 61 of 93
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    With the release of iOS 4.3, Apple introduced:

∙Ping features

∙Push notifications for comments and follow requests

∙Post and Like songs directly from the Now Playing screen

∙Parental controls

Where do you go to access these features???
  • Reply 62 of 93
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    Good question.
  • Reply 63 of 93
    cramyorcramyor Posts: 6member
    It there a list somewhere for these new gestures?
  • Reply 64 of 93
    cramyorcramyor Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post

As a fellow Canadian, all the major carriers have announced support for the hotspot feature. click on the link below to get more information;

www.iphoneincanada.ca

And, yes it is true the Hotspot feature works ONLY on iPhone 4, no other iDevices.

Thanks. I have an iPhone 4 and a 3GS, too bad it won't wok on the 3GS.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Yeah, it's a free download for developers. But for the general public wanting to enable gestures with their iPad, this may be an option. If I remember correctly, to enable gestures with Xcode, all you have to do is opt to use your device for development.

Can someone confirm?

Yes, I have enabled the gestures on my iPad with a plain vanilla 4.3 iOS version and a (free) copy of Xcode 3.2.5 (you could download it with a free developer account, don't know if you still can with the release of Xcode 4).

Here is how to enable it:

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/04/daily...stures-ios-43/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cramyor View Post

It there a list somewhere for these new gestures?

Once you have enabled them, they are described in the General Settings on the iPad (and also in the link above).
  • Reply 66 of 93
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect that you get the official AppleTV update through the AppleTV.

Is the NDA for the 4.3 beta lifted?

Yep.. Apple also removed xcode 3.x from the developers website. Good thing that I have been watching the WWDC xcode 4 videos. The more I learn about xcode 4 the more I like it. I am having problem with one of my iPad apps not running on the simulator and needed to add i386 to the list of valid architecture field. It is strange though that my other iPad/iPhone apps didn't require that.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

Yep. After going from 4.2.1 to 4.3, the five-finger up/down gestures work on my iPhone 4 that has never seen a beta installed on it, never unlocked, or jailbroken. As clean as you can get!

The five fingers are cramped but I might get used to it.

Now to Google and find out what all the extra gestures are... unless someone on here already knows?

Edit: Would you believe that after doing a sync, I no longer have the five-finger gestures for open and closing the multi-tasking bar?!!!

Well, my iPhone 4 was just upgraded to 4.3 from 4.2.1 and I don't have the jestures. \
  • Reply 68 of 93
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If only there was a way to update the phone without using a computer (mine's currently busted).

You can connect it like somebody said to any computer running iTunes. Last fall when my computer was getting repaired I did an update on a friend's computer.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm a little worried that they didn't release iMovie and GarageBand for iPad early, as well.

(insinuating they might not work with the 1st gen iPad)

Not TOO worried, mind, but a little. I wouldn't put ANYTHING past Apple.

That would not surprise me...both from a compatibility standpoint, and a flat processing power standpoint. When GarageBand first came out for Mac it was (and still is) very processor intensive and was really sluggish on older Macs.

Also, and correct me if I am wrong, it has a built-in check to see that you had a G4 processor of a certain speed otherwise it wouldn't go. It might be iDVD I am thinking of...
  • Reply 70 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Well, my iPhone 4 was just upgraded to 4.3 from 4.2.1 and I don't have the jestures. \

Because you don't GET them in the final release. You have to enable the device for development.
  • Reply 71 of 93
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashmanBurgess View Post

When in any app, five finger pinch gets you back to home screen. 4 or 5 finger swipe to the left or right switches app, 4 to 5 up reveals multitasking bar. Works like a charm.

No, the 4 & 5 Finger Pinches & Swipes Don't Work With The Public Release. Bummer.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because you don't GET them in the final release. You have to enable the device for development.

So how do we do that? Is there a tutorial step by step for dummies?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Yes, I have enabled the gestures on my iPad with a plain vanilla 4.3 iOS version and a (free) copy of Xcode 3.2.5 (you could download it with a free developer account, don't know if you still can with the release of Xcode 4).

Here is how to enable it:

http://www.tipb.com/2011/03/04/daily...stures-ios-43/

Once you have enabled them, they are described in the General Settings on the iPad (and also in the link above).

Thank you. I didn't read above first. I have one of those free developer accounts and still can download Snow Leopard Xcode 3.2.6 for free. Downloading it now - 4.14 GB.

Need a paid developer account to be able to get Xcode 4 for free. Don't want to pay $5. Much appreciated noirdesir.

Are these gestures available for the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 3rd & 4 Gen as well? I guess not.

Success! Thanks a lot guys. I now have multitasking gestures working on my iPad. Neat trick.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Has anyone tried this update on iPad 1 yet? Is the browsing speed improved?
  • Reply 73 of 93
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yep.. Apple also removed xcode 3.x from the developers website. Good thing that I have been watching the WWDC xcode 4 videos. The more I learn about xcode 4 the more I like it. I am having problem with one of my iPad apps not running on the simulator and needed to add i386 to the list of valid architecture field. It is strange though that my other iPad/iPhone apps didn't require that.

All Right! No NDA!

Here's some WAG speculation:

iOS 4.3 contains all the prores codecs -- I wonder why -- there is nothing [currently] running on iOS that uses prores codecs.

I can think of several possibilities:

-- iMovie on the Mac recognizes AVCHD on SD cards

-- it is possible that iMovie on the iPad 2 with the CCK could do the same thing

-- the next release of Final Cut for the Mac could support the iPad

-- the iPad 2 could include Thunderbolt support through the dock connector

-- this would allow high-speed transfer of large files between Macs and iPads

-- this would allow the iPad to be used as an additional display for the Mac

-- this, also, could allow the iPad 2 to be used as a touch control surface for Final Cut apps running on the Mac

... Mac meet Touch -- Touch meet Mac

• Reply 74 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halocline View Post

I happened to have my MBA with me today at work, so didn't do it with 4.3, but I can confirm that this has worked in the past: simply plug your iPhone into any computer with iTunes and do the software update. Doesn't need to be the computer you normally sync, can even be a PC when you normally use Mac, and maintains all settings.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Heh! You can use a Windows PC instead.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

You can connect it like somebody said to any computer running iTunes. Last fall when my computer was getting repaired I did an update on a friend's computer.

I never get my iPhone or iPad to work the update like that. I use my mac for the reg and software but sync with a pc as my downloaded media are all there. It download the update alright but failed at the 11th hour on installation. Maybe I'm holding it wrong?
  • Reply 75 of 93
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    The hotspot feature works awesomely here in New Zealand on the Vodafone network.

This is singlehandedly the coolest feature because now I can synch my software with my iOS devices no matter where I am.

Thanks Apple for thinking outside the box.
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post

Downloading, but is there any gestures like the five finger one?

Yes ? including the four-finger swipe to switch between apps.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Has anyone tried this update on iPad 1 yet? Is the browsing speed improved?

Yes. The install went smoothly on my 64GB 3G including retaining all 1554 Apps in the same place I left them in. Took about 2 hours. All is noticeably faster but part of that perception could be placebo.

Dual Browser Free is already super fast.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Wake me up when I can stream my content from iTunes to my iPhone ON THE ROAD!!!

Limiting it to just home WiFi is FOR THE BIRDS. iPhone users are ON THE GO, Apple! \
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Limiting it to just home WiFi is FOR THE BIRDS. iPhone users are ON THE GO, Apple! \

Wake up. Apps for this already exist. Don't remember their names. Google it for solutions that exist now.

Found it: RemotePC Remote Access for iPad only and it's FREE.

\t

JumiAmp Lite ? Remote Control for iTunes & WinAmp music & video play for all 3 iOS devices. FREE too.

by JumiTech

Category: Music

Updated: Nov 23, 2010

92 Ratings for iPhone, iPod Touch & iPad

or

\t

JumiOne - Desktop/Remote/Keyboard/Mouse, Remote Webcam & Media Remote for PC $3.99 JumiAmp in app purchase.

JumiTech

Category: Utilities

Updated: Feb 07, 2011

106 Ratings
  • Reply 80 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Whenever you're willing to pay extra every month for the data overages you'll incur.