iPad 2 sneaks closer to console gaming with 1080p Real Racing 2 HDTV output

Comments

• Reply 121 of 171
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

But if that is what people want, that is what people will buy, I just can't see how they can call it console quality yet.

And they haven't. The headline says quite clearly: "sneaks closer" It does not say they are there now ... it does not say they are almost there .... it just says they are closer now than they were before. People! ... this is not rocket science ... read all the words before getting your heart rate blown all out of proportion. Jeez louise, even.
  • Reply 122 of 171
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

It won't really take off this way over a wire, air play on the other hand.... Well that's a different story all together.

If Apple gets Air Play to support this then they will have a big gaming win on their hands, wouldn't hurt Apple TV sales either!

If OnLive can do it over the Internet, why couldn't Apple do it over a WiFi network?
  • Reply 123 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

And they haven't. The headline says quite clearly: "sneaks closer" It does not say they are there now ... it does not say they are almost there .... it just says they are closer now than they were before. People! ... this is not rocket science ... read all the words before getting your heart rate blown all out of proportion. Jeez louise, even.

Even after years of being a member of this forum it?s still the same posters that can?t seem to achieve even a modicum of reading comprehension. Sometimes it seems like intentional trolling and other times it seems like they are just too stupid to understand the difference. I certainly don?t which one it is but tend to opt to thinking they are trolls as it at least makes it a willing ignorance on their part.
  • Reply 124 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

If OnLive can do it over the Internet, why couldn't Apple do it over a WiFi network?

I had never heard of this service. Sounds interesting. Could Apple possibly add it to their AppleTV the way they added YouTube and Netflix, or is there some other HW component needed for the AppleTV device?

How robust are the games? How much of the game is downloaded to the device? What is the quality of game play?
  • Reply 125 of 171
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I can't help thinking how ridiculous it looks having that unwieldy HDMI breakout adapter hanging off the side of the iPad. A wifi connection between the iPad and TV would be so much more elegant.

When the AppleTV 2 came out, Jobs commented in one of his rare email replies that when the time was right there would be apps on the device.

I think that this is the kind of thing he was talking about. Using the ATV as the 'console' and either an ipad/iphone/touch as the controller. Games, perhaps even some apps like Keynote (the ATV sends out just the slides and you have your ipad as the remote/notes version)
  • Reply 126 of 171
    There is a way of doing this that people seem to have neglected to mention although a couple have come close.

Streaming to an AppleTV is the dumbest idea ever because there is always going to be a lag. It's not a well thought out idea.

However, Chopper 2 has shown us streaming to AppleTV isn't needed.

Why not just have the iPad on a stand that allows landscape mode so that you can see the map and data while using an iPhone/iPod Touch as the controller. This way it doesn't matter about the lead and you can sit back on the couch and play.

If this isn't the idea behind a console then I don't know what is.

And for the detractors about the iPad being a gaming console the Wii is lower quality than the PS3 and XBox 360 and yet it sells more consoles. Why? Because the games are fun to play. Play Resident Evil 4 on the Wii compared to the other consoles and straight away you see the difference. It is way more fun to play on the Wii than the other consoles because it's so much easier to control.

So long as the game is playable, fun, and easy to pick up people ultimately don't care about graphics because they are so absorbed in the game that they don't notice. If the only thing you've got for people to like your game is graphics then you've failed miserably. People will tire of it.

Real Racing 2 is a fantastic game that is instantly pickupable and playable and fun. The graphics push the iPad to the limit so it really is a fantastic alrounder.

The iPad will make a great console despite the naysayers.
  • Reply 127 of 171
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Anything worth doing -- is worth doing right!

Anything worth doing -- is worth doing badly!

Think about this for a minute -- If something needs to be done, the most important thing is that it gets done. Doing it right is desirable, but not necessary -- doing it badly is better than not doing it at all.

I was around in 1978 when the Apple ][ came out -- it had the ability to display 40x40 blocks of graphics in 16 colors -- it came with "Breakout" a Pong-like game.

It wasn't as good as a "Pong" machine -- but it was good enough, and cost a lot less.

Two points:

1) Breakout was good enough to approximate Pong.

2) Good enough brought the experience into a new venue -- the home!

Some will argue, but Doing Pong badly on an Apple ][ was one of the seminal influences of what gaming is today.

Monkey Ball on the iPad really sucks -- except compared to not having Monkey Ball on the iPad.

AIR, MonkeyBall was one of the first games shown on the iPhone (late 2007 - early 2008).

Monkey Ball has gotten better and so have the hundreds of thousands of multitouch games that followed.

Also the iPhone hardware has gotten better and proliferated into a family of iDevices.

We are at the very birth of portable/mobile/multiplayer multitouch games... with much to follow.

What will happen when someone releases a killer game that can only be run on an iPad -- with it's portability, touchscreen, cameras, accelerometers, gyroscope, etc.?

If iMovie, GarageBand and some of the other apps are any indication, the iPad has a convergence of capabilities that allow experiences to be done better than any other known way.

What/When will be the first game experience for which people will buy the iPad?

wow, there is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start.

There were two graphics modes, a low res mode that was 40x48 x 16 colors and a high res mode that was 280x192 by 4 colors.

Breakout for the Apple ][ wasn't a bad version of Pong, it was pretty much a perfect recreation of the quite popular arcade game Atari Breakout - a game which Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak created for Atari before they founded Apple. They didn't settle for "good enough", a key design criteria was to be able to recreate the entire breakout experience by programming it in Basic. This was a driving force behind the requirements for the programming language they built, the graphics they built, and even the i/o on the computer (i.e. the game ports). They didn't do breakout instead of pong because they couldn't pull off Pong. They did Breakout instead of Pong because Breakout was the more current.

Quote:

Breakout directly influenced Steve Wozniak's design for the Apple II computer — "A lot of features of the Apple II went in because I had designed Breakout for Atari. I had designed it in hardware. I wanted to write it in software now."[12] This included his design of color graphics circuitry and the now infamous beep and click sound circuitry. It also directly influenced his design of Integer BASIC (which he referred to as "Game Basic"), with his Integer BASIC version of Breakout being the first "proof of concept" application running on the prototype Apple II. His desire to play Breakout on his new computer also led to the addition of a paddle interface, and ultimately the bundling of paddle controllers and a cassette tape containing the code for Breakout for the Apple II's commercial release.

For the HiRes graphics, there was a game Apple Invaders game that was pretty much a perfect copy of the quite popular Space Invaders arcade game.

Under Steve Jobs, Apple has never released anything that was done badly just to release something. Quite the contrary, they have at times waited years to enter markets, scraping design after design, until they could do things well.
  • Reply 128 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

When the AppleTV 2 came out, Jobs commented in one of his rare email replies that when the time was right there would be apps on the device.

I think that this is the kind of thing he was talking about. Using the ATV as the 'console' and either an ipad/iphone/touch as the controller. Games, perhaps even some apps like Keynote (the ATV sends out just the slides and you have your ipad as the remote/notes version)

I think that what you say is part of it:

1) the static app (logic, controls, boilerplate, static content, etc.) normally resides on another box on the WiFi network

-- a Mac or PC running iTunes

-- an iTunes Server

2) the static app also resides on the iPad for portability - to temporarily interface an ATV in another location

-- a friend's house

-- a client's office

-- a school room

-- a pizza restaurant for a team party or birthday party

3) the static app content is cross-loaded from the fastest, most accessible device to the ATV being used -- where it acts as a player

-- it remains on the ATV until it needs to be overwritten for other uses

-- if cross-loaded from an iPad to a foreign ATV (not authorized) the ATV cannot "play" when connection to the source iPad is removed.

4) The iPad becomes the controller/dynamic content provider (or one of several -- for multiplayer games)

-- minimal data is dynamically exchanged between the iPad and ATV

-- accelerometer, gyroscope, xy multitouch coordinates for games

-- touches begin...touches end for drawing, telestrating, pinch zoom, etc

-- pointer position (xy touch) next slide #, annotation, transition swipes for KeyNote

What you have is an intelligent player with static content on the ipad communicating with an intelligent player with the same static content on the ATV.

Mostly, short bursts of dynamic positional data is exchanged and each player updates it's displayed content accordingly

Occasionally play will generate anticipated dynamic content, e.g. an explosion after a hit opponent in a game -- this would be handled separately, but concurrently, by each player.

Occasionally, one player will generate unanticipated dynamic content -- in this case the content will be exchanged and buffered (synced) on both players.

Done properly, there should be little WiFi traffic, latency or noticeable delay.

• Reply 129 of 171
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,390moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I had never heard of this service. Sounds interesting. Could Apple possibly add it to their AppleTV the way they added YouTube and Netflix, or is there some other HW component needed for the AppleTV device?

How robust are the games? How much of the game is downloaded to the device? What is the quality of game play?

None of the game is downloaded, it streams like a Youtube video and it can be added to ATV very easily. It's already on the iPad but just the viewer. It's a free app so you just download and start playing. The only real flaws are you can get lag over wifi and see some compression artifacts.

It would instantly bridge the performance gap between the iPad and consoles and bring the big titles. The only problem is Apple make no money on it but I don't see why they couldn't have a subscription via iTunes and take a cut.

People will still buy games to play where they don't have a connection.
  • Reply 130 of 171
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I am/was unaware of PSN. When did PSN become available?

The same time as the PS3 was released I believe, around Nov 2006, I've had a PSN account since around July 2007. The PS3 has supported a digital download market since then, it came to the PSP a few years later I believe. If I purchase a PS3 game via the PSN market I can download it to all of my PS3s
  • Reply 131 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Even after years of being a member of this forum it?s still the same posters that can?t seem to achieve even a modicum of reading comprehension. Sometimes it seems like intentional trolling and other times it seems like they are just too stupid to understand the difference. I certainly don?t which one it is but tend to opt to thinking they are trolls as it at least makes it a willing ignorance on their part.

Still posting the same rubbish you always do I see.
  • Reply 132 of 171
    Quote:

So what you are saying is, this is another waste of time Daniel article?
  • Reply 133 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

wow, there is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start.

There were two graphics modes, a low res mode that was 40x48 x 16 colors and a high res mode that was 280x192 by 4 colors.

I bought my Apple ][ in July 1978. In December of 1978, with 2 partners I opened the 5th computer store in Siicon Valley -- 7/10 of a mile from Bandley 1 (Apple Headquarters).

Being close to Apple, and the Best Apple retailer in Silicon Valley -- we had a constant stream of Apple employees in our store -- from the 2 Steves, Wiggington, Andy, Chris, Bill, Wil, Wendell, Scottie... yadda, yadda, yadda.

These guys would drop by to tell us some questions (about what was coming) and do impromptu demos for several hours. Woz, in particular, usually had a coterie of camp followers: Cap'n Crunch (when out on parole), Tog, etc. -- lot's of people who were being recruited by Apple.

We sold mainly Apple ][ computers in the early days (a few NorthStars, and Altairs).

I certainly know about the GR and HGR modes on the Apple ][.

I used the low-res example so as not to confuse the issue with too much data.

Quote:

Breakout for the Apple ][ wasn't a bad version of Pong, it was pretty much a perfect recreation of the quite popular arcade game Atari Breakout - a game which Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak created for Atari before they founded Apple. They didn't settle for "good enough", a key design criteria was to be able to recreate the entire breakout experience by programming it in Basic. This was a driving force behind the requirements for the programming language they built, the graphics they built, and even the i/o on the computer (i.e. the game ports). They didn't do breakout instead of pong because they couldn't pull off Pong. They did Breakout instead of Pong because Breakout was the more current.

Apple "Breakout" was single player -- so in that way, it was a bad implementation of Pong.

Quote:

For the HiRes graphics, there was a game Apple Invaders game that was pretty much a perfect copy of the quite popular Space Invaders arcade game.

AIR, the first Hi-Res graphics program for sale was programmed by Tog (Bruce Tognazzini) and sold through ComputerLand of SF.

But, again... this is too much information and only confuses the example.

Quote:

Under Steve Jobs, Apple has never released anything that was done badly just to release something. Quite the contrary, they have at times waited years to enter markets, scraping design after design, until they could do things well.

In my example, if you care to reread it: Baldy means doing something that needs to be done as well as you can -- even if you can't do it perfectly (or as good as it will eventually become).

I maintain, that AppleTV 1 (and to some extent ATV 2) are good examples of this. They coud have done a lot more.

The whole point of my post (which you seemed to have missed) -- is that Apple is poised to revolutionize gaming by changing the venue from the console to the iPad/ATV.

From a FPS or TPS perspective this won't deliver results compared to the consoles (and satisfy the so-called gaming elite)-- but it will be good enough in this badly done implementation to dominate the industry.

• Reply 134 of 171
    Quote:

The same time as the PS3 was released I believe, around Nov 2006, I've had a PSN account since around July 2007. The PS3 has supported a digital download market since then, it came to the PSP a few years later I believe. If I purchase a PS3 game via the PSN market I can download it to all of my PS3s

Mmm... Thx.

The family had a CameCube -- which subsequently broke & got replaced with another. They had at least 4 GameBoys which all broke.

I am not a gamer, but the kids were all hot for the Wii (in 2006-2007) and had about 30 GC games.

AIR, at that time The PS didn't have many games and was mainly being bought for the BR disk.

I looked into BR as a backup medium and as a high-quality Video medium.

I decided that there was not enough advantage to justify the expense (we then had about 300 DVDs)

So with the BR mitigated, the "iffy" status of the XBox, the kids game collection and desires -- the Wii was the logical choice.

Now, we are migrating to the iPad.

• Reply 135 of 171
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

So what you are saying is, this is another waste of time Daniel article?

You seem to be a perfect example of an education system promoting a "student" before they're ready. You read .... but you don't "see". That's so pathetic it has to be "on purpose" on your part .... so I'm calling Troll .... because to think otherwise would just be too sad. \
  • Reply 136 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Of course not. I beat real racing 2 in two hours, you can imagine it took quite a lot doing the same for Forza3 or GT5 (not even finished it yet).

Real Racing 2 looks very nice indeed, for casual gamers, but you are correct, it just far from the look of GT5 or Shift 2.

Bullshit.

There are 120 races in career mode, you spent 1 minute on each race without spending time tuning or upgrading each of 30 cars:-

Quote:

30 Officially Licensed Cars

The 30 meticulously detailed cars in Real Racing 2 are:

BMW\t2010 BMW M6 Competition Edition

2010 BMW M3 GTS

2009 BMW M3 GT2

2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

2006 BMW Z4 M Coupe Race Car

Chevrolet\t2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS

2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS

2010 Chevrolet Camaro GS Race Car

2010 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1

2010 Chevrolet Corvette C6.R

Ford / Shelby\t2010 Ford Focus RS

2010 Ford Shelby Mustang GT500

2005 Ford GT

Jaguar\t2010 Jaguar XKR

2010 #33 Jaguar RSR XKR GT

Lotus\t2010 Lotus Exige

2010 Lotus Evora

2010 Lotus Evora Cup

McLaren\t2012 McLaren MP4-12C

1995 McLaren F1 GTR Race Car

Nissan / Super GT \t2010 Nissan GT-R (R35)

2010 MOTUL AUTECH GT-R (car #23 ? NISMO, GT500)

2010 Nissan 370Z (Z34)

2010 MOLA 350Z (car #46 ? MOLA, GT300)

Volkswagen\t2010 VW Golf GTI (A6)

2010 VW Golf R (A6)

2008 VW Scirocco (A6)

2008 VW Scirocco R (A6)

Volvo\t2010 Volvo C30 R

2010 Volvo C30 STCC Race Car"

AND mastered all 15 tracks in both directions.

I'll say it again, BULLSHIT.

...then there's multiplayer, where's a post showing YOU at the top of ALL ladders in multiplayer seeing as you "beat" the game in two hours.

Go play with your toy console REAL GAMERS use a keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 137 of 171
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The main point though is the cost of the games, which have to be taken into account.

Comparing $10 Need for Speed iPad vs $40 Need for Speed PS3, or $5 Angry Birds vs $50 Call of Duty is really pointless. Most modern "big-ticket" console and PC games aim for between 30-50 hours of content for RPGs/Adventure Titles and 10 hours offline content + unlimited hours of online content for shooters, etc. Most iPhone/Pad titles get repetitive within very few minutes/seconds and are in comparison "impulse buys"/time killers. Just compare Chaos Rings or Zenonia with Dragon Age 4 or Final Fantasy XXVIV, and the $12 vs $50 doesn't seem like such a good deal. Even $1 Talking Larry vs $30 Nintendogs isn't a very good deal unless your only requirement is shutting up the kids for a 6 minute car ride.

Honestly, I find most iPhone and iPad games very similar to the Flash popup advertisement "Games" that are all over the internet, Facebook, etc. Yes there are hundreds of thousands of people out there that can sit for millions of hours and play Facebook gardening games, try and sink baskets on Orbitz.com popup advertisements, play Cut the Rope, etc. These same people probably would have also been more than happy to play the Solitaire game that came bundled with Windows'95 for hours every week.

The fact of the matter is, this market, and its revenue has little to do with people who play Mass Effect, Final Fantasy LVXIII, Super Mario 14, Call of Duty, etc.

It IS, however, a big slab of revenue that all games developers would like to get their hands on, hence the flash-popup-like iPad versions of all sorts of Electronics Arts projects, etc.

Please, just stop circulating the absolute bullcrap that Angry Birds' success is the death knell for the Call of Duty and Dragon Age franchises, and the iPad plugged in with an HDMI dongle/cable somehow is going to make the Wii obsolete.

Remember that millions of people spent millions of hours playing windows Solitaire in 1994, but ID Software and Electronic Arts somehow managed to survive anyways!
  • Reply 138 of 171
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

...No one in their right mind is going to play Halo Multiplayer on an ipad....

No, they'd play Nova, Nova 2 or alternatives just like you'd have to play on a PS3 (or any other non-Microsoft system).

REAL GAMERS can't play on toy consoles, REAL GAMERS need the precise control of a keyboard and mouse.
  • Reply 139 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

The new iPad 2 is console class. Easily looks Wii or PS2 quality or better to me. Maybe more. Whether the iPad 2 has PS3 quality graphics is no more an argument than comparing a Wii's graphics to the PS3.

It's gpu power easily hangs with a PS2 minimum. And is no doubt looking down it's sights to PS3/360 quality graphics with it's next iteration with a retina display probably.

The iPad 1 already beats the PS2. The iPad 2 is somewhere between the original Xbox and the 360.

Just because so far we've only seen iPad 1 games with quick updates that added better shaders and anti-aliasing doesn't mean we won't see future games with nearly double the amount of polygons, which is currently the greatest difference between an iPad game and a console one (now that iPad 2 has better shaders, that is)
  • Reply 140 of 171
    koheletkohelet Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Oh man, you just dug up a bag of hurt for me ..... still pissed to this day that I never got to see what was on disc 4 & 5 .... couldn't find any "cheats" and got to feeling so guilty about "wasting countless hours" just playing a "stupid computer game" that I gave up and "went back to taking care of business".

I'll never forget the feeling I got when I opened a door (by accident) and a photo realistic little girl "answered the door". Honestly, it made my heart jump ... scared the crap out of me. Amongst all of the basic, but still well done, graphics appears, like magic, this image that was almost lifelike. It might have been at that very moment that I got hooked on Mac. I was blown away. I'm still laughing about it as I type this post .... 15 to 20 years later. Thanks Sol.

FYI, Myst is on iOS http://itunes.apple.com/app/myst/id311941991?mt=8