iOS, iPad web use still outpacing all Android devices combined

Comments

• Reply 21 of 76
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:

According to StatCounter Mobile, Android's browser has never come close to exceeding iPhone browser use, even before including iPod touch or iPad users.

Interesting that the words here are Android's Browser. There are 8 android useres in my office and only two of them use the android browser all the time. 3 have a different favorite browser and stick to it and another 3 swap from browser to browser just to test it out. This may throw statcounter figures out unless it is a typo by the article authour.

The Google Analytics are a more interesting set of results. I believe that iPad users will be much heavier surfers than mobile phone users. When away from home I use my HTC Hero, but when at home, I get out my laptop as the bigger screen is better. iPad is a good size for surfing, so I would imagine few iPad owners would feel the need to log onto their mac, pc, laptop. Also, iPhone users have a high end contract with high data limits (certainly in Europe). The top end Android device users also have similar data limits, but mid to low end divice owners are more likely to have more limited data access and speed. This is all good for advertising dollars for apple.

With regard the app sales, apple is a clear winner and I cant see google getting close in the next few years. Google Market leaves a lot to be desired and payment options are limited. Also lots of junk applications that people settle for instead of buying a higher quality product. If anything will make a difference, it may be external sites like Amazon's android market.

So I dont think these figures can be translated to devices out there, but still good for apples bottom line. I think I will keep my android phone and my apple shares - they both serve me well
  • Reply 22 of 76
    Back here one larger contractor had 6 handsets which the employees could choose from. iPhone, Android and Nokia was represented (i know - a mix here between OS and HW - but you understand!).

Employees made their choice which was mixed. However, after a while the iPhone was banished.

Why?

Well, it was used a lot more and since they had a capped contract tied to them, they soon got expensive. I e the iPhone was so easy to use it actually was used.

Thanks IT department for making it easy to use the IT equipment you choose!

Good hey? The ones who has an iPhone hangs on to it for all their life!
  • Reply 23 of 76
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    I still don't know a single person who owns an Android device. I was with a dozen friends that I had not seen in a while over the weekend. Several iPhones and a few Blackberrys. No Androids.
  • Reply 24 of 76
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The money for the Developer's world is in iOS, not Android.
  • Reply 25 of 76
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    There is something strange with the graph. For one, a year is divided in 10 data points and not twelve. And another one, what is that single stat of Android doing at 0? That suggests that they are basing their results on so few sites that it was actually possible that all thoe Android phones at that point did not hit their monitored sites? And the numbers on Opera Mini, that is a category that is not independent from platform. Many questions, indeed.
  • Reply 26 of 76
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Here's why:

The sad thing about graphs like this is that some people actually believe they are meaningful and in some way shows that Apple is in trouble... when in fact only a moron would find significance in such statistics.
  • Reply 27 of 76
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Also, "4 million unique visitors over a large portfolio of websites" doesn't seem like a very good sample to me.

You've either never had a statistics class or was asleep when the topic was covered,
  • Reply 28 of 76
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gctwnl View Post

There is something strange with the graph. For one, a year is divided in 10 data points and not twelve. And another one, what is that single stat of Android doing at 0? That suggests that they are basing their results on so few sites that it was actually possible that all thoe Android phones at that point did not hit their monitored sites? And the numbers on Opera Mini, that is a category that is not independent from platform. Many questions, indeed.

Yes, I noticed the same.

I think the article is accurate and it's nice to hear some real facts for a change instead of all the biased reports about Android mopping up the future when it seems quite unlikely to even win the day, but overall the data is presented inexpertly.

Why talk about "Android's browser" doing poorly if the numbers are actually by device? Why include a browser that's available on multiple devices in a device context?

I don't see these mistakes as working in the authors favour however, or evidence of any kind of conspiracy. The argument presented still seems sound.
  • Reply 29 of 76
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshdean View Post

I don't know why DED does it, but I'm a long term Apple investor, not a fanboy. I don't want FUD because the market sees through that eventually. But an accurate report (hope this is an example of that) which showcases Apple's advantages over the competition gives me a woody.

Yeah I'm the same way, I LOVE reading articles like this. It definitely puts a smile on my face and a pep in my step. Anytime I hear or read anything about Apple crushing the "competition". It borders on orgasmic.
  • Reply 30 of 76
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    DED has done terrific work for maybe ten years, chronicling the FUD blasts aimed at Apple, with good research and close argumentation. So it's ironic that he is now accused of FUD. With what research? What justification? Nothing here suggests he is at fault. Folks who cry FUD must back it up. DED does. Otherwise, they are pathetic.
  • Reply 31 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

According to StatCounter Mobile, Android's browser [use] has never come close to exceeding iPhone browser use, even before including iPod touch or iPad users.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Interesting that the words here are Android's Browser. There are 8 android useres in my office and only two of them use the android browser all the time. 3 have a different favorite browser and stick to it and another 3 swap from browser to browser just to test it out. This may throw statcounter figures out unless it is a typo by the article authour.

Logical question but it is probably a simple omission. The word "use" needs to follow the word browser. I think they are measuring website hits, not browser share. There wouldn't be any point in reporting the figures if multiple browsers for Android were not factored into the stats. The researchers are not going to be so naive, as to overlook that.
  • Reply 32 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Here are my stats from this morning. Notice #10. Android reporting itself as Safari. That is some user agent mischief I guess.

We don't have any other Android hits at all.

• Reply 33 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Here are my stats from this morning. Notice #10. Android reporting itself as Safari. That is some user agent mischief I guess.

Android users usually don't get out of bed until their parents start vacuuming above them...
  • Reply 34 of 76
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    When they compare Android to iPhone, are the only considering iPhone 4? What about iPhone 3GS (and the few iPhone 3's)? That's excluding almost half of iPhone users right?
  • Reply 35 of 76
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Quote:

I saw the same thing on my site stats and it made me wonder are Android phone users downloading Safari as their web browser instead of their phone's native browser? That would be hilarious!
  • Reply 36 of 76
    I'm having a difficult time who's throwing the most FUD around. I sure see enough articles saying that Android is "destroying" Apple's iOS and I'm fairly certain that Wall Street is basing Android's prowess to displace Apple's iOS in the mobile arena. I'm sure investors believe that iOS is being soundly beaten or will be soundly beaten by Android and that is helping to continually drive Apple shares down. Analysts are constantly crowing about Android is great and Android is "winning" and iPhone sales are stagnant or flat. Any day I expect to hear that Apple is quitting the mobile business because it has absolutely no chance of outselling any Android product. To analysts, market share is everything. If you don't have major market share then your company is a failure or very soon to becoming a failure. That premise also doesn't make sense because Nokia had major market share and still ended up close to failing. I'm more concerned with revenue and profits indicating a company's health than market share but Wall Street isn't taking that approach with Apple. Wall Street is basing Apple's success on future sales values I clearly don't understand since it's too difficult for me to see years in advance in a rapidly changing industry.

I've yet to see one Android tablet come close to being competitive in sales against the iPad and yet the analysts claim that Apple is already in danger of losing its market share to Android tablets within a year. Wall Street and investors must believe this and they're selling their Apple shares. There doesn't seem to be enough proof that Apple's iPad will continue to be the top-selling tablet this year. There has to be some belief that Android is better than anything Apple has to offer but I'm not sure what this belief is based on. Lower device prices seems to be the most likely premise. I'll be curious to see how things shape up in another year. Obviously, last year was terrible for non-Apple tablets but high tablet sales still didn't do much for Apple's share price nor did it instill confidence in potential Apple investors that Apple seems to have a good lead with iOS devices. None of what's recently happening to Apple is making much sense to me. I'm pretty much in the dark.
  • Reply 37 of 76
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I could care about anything except $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Who's raking in more of it? End of story.
  • Reply 38 of 76
    kane08kane08 Posts: 10member
    I read articles like this and am like "duh." especially on the app revenue bit. who'd have thought that customers who laud the "openness" of being able to get an app from anywhere on the web don't actually pay for them...

and while "android" may be gaining market shares, a recent study by comscore shows that android makers are actually only cannibalizing their own feature phones and dumb phones, with all but samsung losing market share
  • Reply 39 of 76
    Quote:

Not mischief, just the way Analytics reports Webkit. Most ua detection methods look at the engine, not device. Furthermore, a lot of ua for Android mask as ios to get ios designed sites that are optimized for mobile. I use my wifi Olaf and create an AP out of my android phone. Even though my phone and ipad have the same computational power, the smaller screen and lack of Ivan like browser make the iPad a better device for surfing.

Although this article is biased, and rightfully so considering the website, what everyone is ignoring is that Google has their hands in EVERY OS. More iOS web surfers? Well more ios users are more likely to use Google search and see ads scattered across the net by Google. More free apps on the App store, and definitely the Android market, then thos apps are more than likely to use ads provided by adMob, a Google subsidiary. The only thing that is keeping Google out of the loop is app purchases made through the app store; otherwise, Apple's customers are feeding their largest competitor just by being in the 21st century.
  • Reply 40 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    They both are right depending on how you look at it.

Android is beating iOS in raw OS market share numbers. Carefully look at those reports and the details they don't talk about. They don't talk about Android revenue. They don't talk about developer growth and excitement for Android. They don't talk about web designers and how they design sites specifically for Android. They don't talk about Android's presence on devices other than smart phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm having a difficult time who's throwing the most FUD around. I sure see enough articles saying that Android is "destroying" Apple's iOS and I'm fairly certain that Wall Street is basing Android's prowess to displace Apple's iOS in the mobile arena.