Apple releases new iMac desktops with Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, Thunderbolt ports

Comments

• Reply 221 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry about your vision problems, but you can't seriously expect an off the shelf inexpensive consumer device to be built to specifications for your medical condition. There is specially designed equipment for that. I have a couple friends who have vision problems and they utilize specific assistive computer technologies, not iMacs.

Where did I say, in my post, that I expected "an off the shelf inexpensive consumer device to be built to specifications for (my) medical condition"?
  • Reply 222 of 311
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Can some mod take all the bullshit matte screen posts and dump them into a matte screen thread where they can wither and die, and the rest of us can get on discussing the actual announcement today.

It's very relevant to the discussion.

The machine has flaws that prevent people from buying it. The purpose of discussion is to point them out.

A thread stating "Hey awesome machine I'ma go buy one right now!!!" would be boring indeed.

Other than that, it's a minor announcement for Apple. They place a higher priority on the white iPhone, as evidenced by their home page.
  • Reply 223 of 311
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

It's very relevant to the discussion.

The machine has flaws that prevent people from buying it. The purpose of discussion is to point them out.

A thread stating "Hey awesome machine I'ma go buy one right now!!!" would be boring indeed.

Other than that, it's a minor announcement for Apple. They place a higher priority on the white iPhone, as evidenced by their home page.

Its a pretty major upgrade actually - new processor, great benchmarks, graphics card etc. It is way better than the old one. I remember upgrades in the past when I have thought to buy the refurbished version of the old version, not this time.

the Matte screen, wasn't there before, isn't there now. Its like worrying about floppy disk drives. Most of us dont care. What I would like to see is links to benchmarks, or somebody with information on what we can expect in real world tests, not this nebbish nonsense.
  • Reply 224 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Where did I say, in my post, that I expected "an off the shelf inexpensive consumer device to be built to specifications for (my) medical condition"?

I guess I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that you would like to see Apple offer matte screen to help with your vision problems, as 'expecting' it. What do I know since a simple suggestion of not using your monitor facing the window or improve light conditions by closing the drapes is clearly idiotic and not helpful.
  • Reply 225 of 311
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

SAS is just a technology. Raid can be used with Sata, SAS, SCSI, SSD etc. Yes SAS originated in the Enterprise environment, but it's now at a price point that there's no reason not to use it in consumer machines.

The 1TB and 2TB Seagate SAS drives over at newegg cost triple what the SATA versions cost. The IBM versions are all ridiculous like a 2TB for a grand. Also, what is the volume level like on the SAS drives? The drives they put in the iMac are basically silent
  • Reply 226 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What do I know since a simple suggestion of not using your monitor facing the window or improve light conditions by closing the drapes is clearly idiotic and not helpful.

I hope you never have to experience vision problems. If you ever do, "suggestions" such as "closing the drapes" or "not using your monitor facing the the window" will sound just as idiotic to you as they do to me
  • Reply 227 of 311
    pondosinatrapondosinatra Posts: 464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The 1TB and 2TB Seagate SAS drives over at newegg cost triple what the SATA versions cost. The IBM versions are all ridiculous like a 2TB for a grand. Also, what is the volume level like on the SAS drives? The drives they put in the iMac are basically silent

Ya the larger drives came out pretty recently and us such there's a premium on them. I don't need 2TB of drive space as I don't have that much pr0n. For me 300GB is ideal, and as such it'd be nice if it was a SAS drive instead of SATA.

None of which really matters as I won't be buying one as they don't have a matte screen
  • Reply 228 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

No matte antiglare screens on the new iMacs. If you need matte screens, there's something you can do - add your voice to 1,300+ petitions at http://macmatte.wordpress.com Unlike personal emails to Apple - which Apple just ignore, asserting everyone loves glossy screens - make it count by adding to the online petition where your voice will remain visible on the net until Apple listens. Remember, adding your comment to transient news articles on the net is fine, but those articles go out of date in a few weeks, and also there is no long-term accumulation and consolidation of numbers, like there is at a petition site.

It seems like you're everywhere.
  • Reply 229 of 311
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Can some mod take all the bullshit matte screen posts and dump them into a matte screen thread where they can wither and die, and the rest of us can get on discussing the actual announcement today.

I have a better idea. How about: Can some mod take all the bullshit anti-matte screen posts and dump them into a jerk thread where they can whither and die?

Guess what? This IS about today's announcement. Some of us held out hopes (albeit very small) that we might actually be able to buy a desktop machine from Apple at some point, but looks like that's not the case again for 2011. And it's apparently an important issue to a lot of people, regardless of your opinion. Unarguable, because enough people raised a stink that Apple caved and made it an option for the MacBook Pros, even though I'm sure they'd much rather keep it simple without extra hardware options.

Quote:

You can buy an antiglare filter or a monitor hood if needed. You could setup your workspace properly to remove glare. There are any number of things you can do that makes the glossy display a non-issue.

This is just not true, and it's really tiresome to hear people spout off nonsense like this. Anti-glare filters are bullshit. Problematic at best, to install, and they offer noticeable degradation in quality. Monitor hoods? Are you joking? Are we back in the 80s? An iMac is a consumer device that resides in the living room, bedroom, home office, etc. It's probably going to be in a relatively small space compared with a desk at work, and a big ol' hood is ridiculous.

And NO, it's not reasonable to ask people to rearrange their furniture, turn off the lights and close the drapes every time you want to spend some time at the computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Yes, the world is dominated by teenagers ... And the only multitasking required is trying to see your content behind the reflection of your face.

Best quote of the entire thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

Why you think a glossy screen makes so much difference?

Maybe because it acts a fricking mirror?!

Not aimed at you in particular, but this is the saddest part of the whole debate. The fact that that many people don't seem to notice the reflections. What the hell is up with that? The reflections are there. Absolutely, unequivocally, there are serious reflections on glass screens. So what kind of tricks are people doing to fool their brains into ignoring them? I'm serious, I would love to know!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I like Matte Screens better for some things such as working in photo shop and in areas where direct light is shining on the monitor. However, the iMac is billed as a consumer oriented machine. Gloss screens tend to look better for other things consumer like to do such as playing video.

Are you saying people prefer reflections when they watch video? Dimming the lights can help a lot when watching videos on a big-screen, but it's several feet away from you, so the % of the room that's in your reflected area is greatly reduced.

This is why it's not as objectionable using a glossy screen on an iPhone/iPodTouch. It's much smaller, so a lot easier to diddle your position/angle as there's less reflected area behind you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Matte screen users have options. You can buy a Mac Pro or a Mac Mini and bring your own monitor.

Kind of silly; Mac Pros are out of the question for most people. Mac Mini is an option, but Apple continues to make them very under-powered, therefore unattractive performance-wise compared with iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

But the imac screen glare still remains an abberation.

I think you meant to type "abomination".

Quote:

I don't wear sunglasses to use my computer, I just manage the contrast and brightness properly.

Tweaking the contrast and brightness makes the reflections go away? Bwahahahaha!

You can help tone down the worst of it, but that's it.

Quote:

You won't eliminate all glare, well maybe unless you live in a cave.

Even if you are in a cave (or realistically, in a very dark room), that doesn't remove the reflections of your face from the light of the screen. Reflective screens suck.

--------

There may only be 1300 sigs on that petition, but there are way more than a few small percent of frustrated customers. The surveys put out a couple years ago showed that pretty solidly. A few more comments just to reiterate that there are a lot of people who care about this issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

With a dark photo or a darkish movie scene, all I see is myself reflected in the glossy monitor (like Bin Laden, I moved out of my cave years ago).

Quote:

As for the matte screen, I'd like to see Apple offer it as an option. But these comments about "rearranging furniture" and "closing drapes" are just plain idiotic It's a little more complicated for those of us who have vision problems and taking my iMac for a ride around the house isn't going to help.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

That being said I prefer matte screen. If they don't make an iMac with matte screen I wouldn't buy one. Easy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Add my voice to 'not buying until they make it useable'.

I bought my wife a 27" iMac and she had to move her office, block part of a window to be able to use it. Yah, it was stupid to buy it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

No matte displays. No purchase. Sign the petition for Apple matte displays at:

Quote:

To put it simply, I get horrible headaches from glossy displays. It's very bad with the new iMacs, which I don't work with very long if I can avoid it.

Ok, so Apple and no one else cares. I get it. Workarounds include peeling off the front glass with sticky tape or suction, using an anti-glare adhesive (which has issues), and carefully controlling your environment. Or maybe flip the thing around and use another display externally. But you shouldn't have to do all this for a new computer. Or build a hackintosh.

The irony to me is that the original CRT displays were very glossy, and people had to get antiglare filters and hoods all the time. Then we get LCD and the glare goes away, but the native resolution is never where you like it and the scaling technology was terrible. Now you can get LCD's with high PPI, but they are glossy. Vicious.

I would have bought a Mac Mini in a heartbeat but the specs seem gimpish. Integrated GPU, 5400rpm laptop drive, still only 2GB RAM in default config. If they beefed up the Mini a bit or lowered the price I'd probably be all over it. But right now the specs aren't any better than my years old PC. Which is a real shame.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In short, Apple lowered to quality of the baseline configs to extract more money from their customers, knowing that most of them are like the posts I expect in reply to this one....

Quote:

I have 20/10 vision and good eye movement and coordination. I am fortunate that the world is often presented quite clearly for me to see. I am grateful for it. What I don't need is for people telling me to accept a screen that I know isn't acceptable. I can barely tolerate the iPad in my bedroom with the lights out and curtains and shades down. I can't even take the thing outside.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

For me, it is purely the reflections. I sit in an office with the lights off and prefer the brightness to be in the mid-to-low range, as the higher brightness is hard on my eyes. Even at full brightness though, the black band is fully reflective. I have tried every permutation, including switching offices and any possible position of the unit, different lighting setups, etc, all to no avail.

• Reply 230 of 311
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I think this is a huge update IMO.

Quad core across the line up now. Going by the MBP benches when it got quad core SB cpus, the entry level 21" iMac should meet or exceed the performance of the high end 27" iMac from the last generation. That's pretty damn nice IMO.

Not only that but TB ports and the 27" iMac has *2*. Engadget already has a demo of a 27 iMac driving *2* additional 30" monitors.

What else do you expect them to do? Does any other pc vendor offer an AIO that even comes close to these new iMacs? I'm sorry that they don't offer matte screens, I'd probably get one if they did. But that doesn't take away form the other positive aspects of the machine.
  • Reply 231 of 311
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Guess what? This IS about today's announcement. Some of us held out hopes (albeit very small) that we might actually be able to buy a desktop machine from Apple at some point, but looks like that's not the case again for 2011. And it's apparently an important issue to a lot of people, regardless of your opinion. Unarguable, because enough people raised a stink that Apple caved and made it an option for the MacBook Pros, even though I'm sure they'd much rather keep it simple without extra hardware options.

It is not about today's announcement. There was no matte before today, there is none today. Maybe you could pollute a thread somewhere about how Apple did not being back the floppy, or a tape machine. Or revert to a PPC.

A rather excellent update from Apple, and a thread to discuss it, is being hijacked by a group of matte screen fetishists. Most of the posts, including mine, are about how important the missing matte screens are, how unimportant the missing matte screens are, or how we wish people would stop talking about matte screens.

The posting on threads doesnt have to follow the main headlines, you could set up a Why is there no matte Screen thread.

Please do.
  • Reply 232 of 311
    goldenclawgoldenclaw Posts: 272member
    Quote:

It is not about today's announcement. There was no matte before today, there is none today. Maybe you could pollute a thread somewhere about how Apple did not being back the floppy, or a tape machine. Or revert to a PPC.

A rather excellent update from Apple, and a thread to discuss it, is being hijacked by a group of matte screen fetishists. Most of the posts, including mine, are about how important the missing matte screens are, how unimportant the missing matte screens are, or how we wish people would stop talking about matte screens.

The posting on threads doesnt have to follow the main headlines, you could set up a Why is there no matte Screen thread.

Please do.

Yes, it's a machine with decent specs. From a purely neutral perspective as someone who regularly researches specs in the ongoing Mac vs. PC debate, the amount of memory allocated to the graphics card is still a generation or two behind gaming PC setups (except in a very top end 27" config). We still need to see graphics benchmarks to determine if the M in the video cards means it is somehow a detriment to the overall graphics performance.

i5 is bonus, 4GB default is bonus, Thunderbolt is great, etc.

I don't see a reason to insult and consistently battle with people who think differently about the screen.
  • Reply 233 of 311
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I hope you never have to experience vision problems. If you ever do, "suggestions" such as "closing the drapes" or "not using your monitor facing the the window" will sound just as idiotic to you as they do to me

My point was that just because people aren't mind readers doesn't make them idiots. We offered normal suggestions for normal people. You have vision problems which we clearly did not know about, why call us idiots? If you had said I have vision problems are there any suggestions about minimizing glare, and if some said see an optometrist then that would be idiotic. But that is not what happened.
  • Reply 234 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

This is a surprisingly 'mild' refresh, and the addition of the Thunderbolt ports is fine, but it's not like there's much use for them at this point (See: the fate of FireWire 800)

Of course it's just a 'mild' refresh to you.
  • Reply 235 of 311
    xpaulsoxpaulso Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) There is a help area on this site and others specifically for technical issues that make better use of these questions for yourself and others.

2) Restart with the included DVD. Run Disk Utility, Format the drive, and zero it out as many times as you wish.

As stated above boot with your OS DVD, Run the Disk Utility.

You'll want to select the Erase Button and look for the Security Options button. Under that option you'll have 3 options for erasing every last bit on the drive.

* You'll then need to reinstall the OS.
  • Reply 236 of 311
    xpaulsoxpaulso Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

It's not about getting the absolute best performance. Yes SSD is fastest - it's also the most expensive. SAS drives are cheap now, Apple should be offering them standard on the new Macs as they're better than Sata.

10/15K SAS drives are not designed for consumer devices. They're enterprise drives. They run much louder and hotter than SATA drives and use much more power. SATA is integrated into all the consumer chipsets made by Intel. SAS controllers require a multilane pci-e connection that honestly doesn't exist on Intel's consumer Sandy Bridge chipsets.

We've done extensive testing at my company and the native Intel ICH SATA controller outperforms all of the low cost SAS controllers. You need to get into SAS controllers with cache before they make sense.

Today's 7200RPM SATA drives are rather fast wish a mixed IO load.
  • Reply 237 of 311
    Quote:

I think this is an extremely naive viewpoint.

You won't eliminate all glare, well maybe unless you live in a cave.

I have 20/10 vision and good eye movement and coordination. I am fortunate that the world is often presented quite clearly for me to see. I am grateful for it. What I don't need is for people telling me to accept a screen that I know isn't acceptable. I can barely tolerate the iPad in my bedroom with the lights out and curtains and shades down. I can't even take the thing outside.

You weren't the one making ridiculous statements that I was responding to tho. I never told you what screen to buy. I called some BS about glossy screens ruining everyone's eyes and have pointed out several times that clearly Apple feels that glossy is what should be in their Consumer focused products.
  • Reply 238 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

Well..... good news.......I hope this means that the MacBook Airs will be the next upgrade to get the TB ports (prob not the SB processors)??????

The current MBAs have 10W processors and 12W IGPUs. There are 17W SB procs available. No reason they won't get SB procs in the next revamp
  • Reply 239 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

This is just not true, and it's really tiresome to hear people spout off nonsense like this. Anti-glare filters are bullshit. Problematic at best, to install, and they offer noticeable degradation in quality. Monitor hoods? Are you joking? Are we back in the 80s? An iMac is a consumer device that resides in the living room, bedroom, home office, etc. It's probably going to be in a relatively small space compared with a desk at work, and a big ol' hood is ridiculous.

And NO, it's not reasonable to ask people to rearrange their furniture, turn off the lights and close the drapes every time you want to spend some time at the computer.

Tweaking the contrast and brightness makes the reflections go away? Bwahahahaha!

Yes an iMac is a consumer device that will be in those places, but most of the people whining about matte screens are wanting to use the iMac in more of a Pro or at least Prosumer way, so in that case, while yes being pretty old school, if they're really serious about minimizing glare there is the option of a hood. No you don't need to turn off all the lights and close the drapes to use your computer. My apartment has big windows at the end of the living room and my wife and I use the dining room it's attached to as a computer room. My monitor is perpendicular to the windows and I have no problems from the lighting.

I don't have any reflections on my screen b/c most of the time this room is kept reasonably dim and like I said, I have my contrast and brightness controlled so the picture suits my preferences. My eyes aren't being damaged like has been claimed in this thread and my computer works just fine.

You may think some of the suggestions are bullshit but guess what, they were fucking suggestions. The reality of the matter is that Apple isn't making iMacs with matte screens and a measly 1300 people isn't going to change their minds. Maybe I just used my head when I decided where I wanted to have my computer setup. Nah, can't be that simple.
  • Reply 240 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYRangers85 View Post

once again, any comments are greatly appreciated....any takers?

I'd also appreciate some thoughts on this, as a fellow Logic user upgrading from workhorse Powermac, be nice to hear some opinions on the difference between i5 and 7 rather than the relative merits of matte/gloss, Portal/asphalt 6. Get a 360 and a Chimei and shoosh up. Anyone using these things for real work?