Microsoft confirms $8.5B acquisition of communications service Skype

Comments

• Reply 21 of 174
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    While Apple's attention to detail is admirable from a user standpoint, their slow meticulous development methodology sometimes comes back to bite them in the ass.

You snooze you lose according to my teenage son.
  • Reply 22 of 174
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That just seems crazy on all levels.

I have x box at home and MS reaslly is trying so f..g hard to do great things for its clients . As much as i hate MS ,I love X-BOX . This Skype deal seems like a waste of money . I've always felt that some 14 yr old pimple faced kid will write some great Soft Ware and blow them all out of the water.

I hope apple can make its own home grown phone revise from scratch . A nano -ized free call phone !!

• Reply 23 of 174
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Facebook was looking for a video component, if MS manages to force them onto Skype then FaceTime is in trouble. If Facebook on the other hand started using FaceTime, Skype would quickly become a seniors-only Windows-only affair. ...

I think you can rely on FaceBook to make the wrong decision. But I don't think FaceTime will be in trouble because of it.

FaceTime is, like all things Apple, high quality and super easy to use. It will stand on its own, especially when Apple opens up the specification.

J.
  • Reply 24 of 174
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:

It could also be the reverse.

Facebook was looking for a video component, if MS manages to force them onto Skype then FaceTime is in trouble. If Facebook on the other hand started using FaceTime, Skype would quickly become a seniors-only Windows-only affair.

Also, Apple hasn't released anything for non-Apple platforms, but they indicated they were going to. If there is a FaceTime for Windows then the battle is truly on and I like FaceTime's chances.

Facebook using FaceTime has a nice ring to it. Could be a match made in heaven for both Facebook and Apple! Better yet, I would love to see this be the big acquisition that Steve has referred to when justifying the huge stockpile of cash. I know, a big leap but interesting thought.
  • Reply 25 of 174
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

The article mentioned that eBay bought Skype for $2.6 billion. What did they sell it for?

According to Wikipedia they sold 65% for $1.9 billion (ie, valued at $2.9 billion for the total). Now the venture capital company that bought the 65% and E-Bay split the difference, $8.5-2.9, ie, $5.5 billion as a profit two to one, ie, E-Bay gets $1.7 billion and the others $3.8 billion.

(Numbers are only approximate, calculated without the use of a calculator.)
  • Reply 26 of 174
    briavaelbriavael Posts: 34member
    Quote:

The article mentioned that eBay bought Skype for $2.6 billion. What did they sell it for?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

I'm still trying to figure this deal out. eBay unloads Skype for a mere $2.75b after paying $2.5b for it and not two years later, Microsoft pays $8.5b for it? Seriously? I mean, the AI article speaks of their improved business model but is it enough to more than triple their valuation? We all know that Microsoft is good for the cash, but I can't help think that they ended up in a bidding war with Facebook and Google and wound up overpaying.

It's also an interesting play for them in terms of cell-phone carriers. They never liked Skype anyway and now Microsoft, the maker of a major phone platform owns them. Maybe Microsoft considers having Skype will be a good negotiation tactic but regardless, things get bumpy from here.

FYI, from my understanding, eBay actually sold a 65% stake for $1.9b. The result valued Skype at $2.75b but eBay lost cash on the deal. Here's a CNET article that described the deal.
  • Reply 27 of 174
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iccguy View Post

Facebook using FaceTime has a nice ring to it. Could be a match made in heaven for both Facebook and Apple! Better yet, I would love to see this be the big acquisition that Steve has referred to when justifying the huge stockpile of cash. I know, a big leap but interesting thought.

Yes, it sure sounds ... right! It makes you wonder if Apple thought of this all along (naming, that is). But no, FB is not selling to AAPL or anyone else. Zuckerberg will never work for anyone else. He does not have to. He's a true entrepreneur - it's about running your own business and not selling out for a profit.
  • Reply 28 of 174
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    It is not clear to me exactly why MS bought Skype. They could have Skype on Wndows Phone and XBox without buying the company. I use FaceTime a lot and the video quality is far superior to Skype.
  • Reply 29 of 174
    iccguyiccguy Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Looks to me like ebay just about recouped their investment in Skype if they paid $2.6 billion for their 30% share.
  • Reply 30 of 174
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

-- While Jobs advertised that FaceTime would be an open standard for others to implement - it appears that this is not the case. My recent inquiries to Apple on the subject were rebuffed with "No news"

--

Be patient, if Steve Jobs said that, it will be so.

J.
  • Reply 31 of 174
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

I think you can rely on FaceBook to make the wrong decision. But I don't think FaceTime will be in trouble because of it.

FaceTime is, like all things Apple, high quality and super easy to use. It will stand on its own, especially when Apple opens up the specification.

J.

Unless Facetime is ported to Android too, it will never have a chance of becoming a "standard". You really think Apple will do that?

IMO, Microsoft just made Facetime a minor feature on an isolated platform unless Apple has it already developed and ready for a multi-platform, and works over more than wi-fi, within a few short months. With MS at 80%+ of the installed OS base, Apple can't be timid and slow as a sloth to show they intend to commit to Facetime as an open standard.

Developers have a clear and present option to integrate with Skype, particularly with official MS support now. An open-source Facetime is still vaporware.
  • Reply 32 of 174
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Skype CEO Tony Bates will assume the title of president of the Microsoft Skype Division. In that role, he will report directly to Ballmer, the head of Microsoft.

[/url][/c]

I would hate to be forced to report to this clown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fcRBy6RAEg

• Reply 33 of 174
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

There goes Skype

Will MS axe compatibility between OS versions? Will they try to close out iOS and Mac OS? Put out special features for Windows only?

This is how they gained dominance on the desktop, using IE to marginalize competing OS and browsers.

It is a sad day for longtime Skype users.

Everything I've seen about Ballmer tells me he's a spiteful little troll. Being that his early comment about the iPhone has made him a laughing stock in many circles then I'd say that he definitely will do anything he can to hurt iOS.

I too can't help feeling that this is a sad day for Skype.
  • Reply 34 of 174
    Ballmer seems to have a knack for wasting shareholder money. Just return the $8.5 billion to shareholders and have them do something useful with the money. For instance, they could buy Skype for $5 billion and then throw one heck of a party and then buy another company for $3 billion.

Seriously, if you don't have an idea how to grow a business past a certain point, stop. Give the money to the owners.

Microsoft should have used a small sliver of this price to buy a next generation database like Vertica (bought by HP instead).
  • Reply 35 of 174
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

It could also be the reverse.

Facebook was looking for a video component, if MS manages to force them onto Skype then FaceTime is in trouble. If Facebook on the other hand started using FaceTime, Skype would quickly become a seniors-only Windows-only affair.

You're tripping dude

Microsoft owns 5% of Facebook. They have a bunch of exclusive deals and agreements together.

Facebook is integrated into Bing.

Facebook is integrated into WP7.

Facebook is integrated into Windows Live.

Facebook is integrated into Live Mail.

Facebook is integrated into Microsoft Office/Outlook.

Probably the most telling is that Facebook is already integrated into Messenger.... yup, Facebook contacts, updates and chat is already built right into the core of Windows Live Messenger aka soon to be... ahh... "Microsoft Windows Live Skype Facebook Messenger Series 2"

You combine the social graphs of Messanger (300+ million users) Skype (100+ million users) and Facebook (500+ million users) and FaceTime is pretty much dead outside of Apple-to-Apple device communications.

Not that it really benefits Microsoft though, outside of preventing Google getting some kind of control over the VOIP/IM market. Unless they do something special with Skype I doubt they will even make a dime off it.

It doesn't really affect Apple either. iOS/OSX will still get Skype clients, so no problems there. If they wanted they can even still build Skype into iOS for messaging, VOIP and as a FaceTime alternative.
  • Reply 36 of 174
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Everything I've seen about Ballmer tells me he's a spiteful little troll. Being that his early comment about the iPhone has made him a laughing stock in many circles then I'd say that he definitely will do anything he can to hurt iOS.

I too can't help feeling that this is a sad day for Skype.

Why? Microsoft will try to make Skype the standard, which they might do. They also can implement it into the 360 with their new Kinect, and introduce 3D skype. They also got bought out for a great price.

This is a very happy day for Skype, and a sad day for face time, which even though might be better, might not see the adoption it would have seen had Microsoft never done this.
  • Reply 37 of 174
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Unless Facetime is ported to Android too, it will never have a chance of becoming a "standard". You really think Apple will do that?

IMO, Microsoft just made Facetime a minor feature on an isolated platform unless Apple has it already developed and ready for a multi-platform that works on more than wi-fi within a few short months. With 80%+ of the installed OS base, Apple can't be timid and slow as a sloth to show they intend to commit to Facetime as an open standard.

Developers have a clear and present option to integrate with Skype, particularly with official MS support now. An open-source Facetime is still vaporware.

Apple doesn't need to make an open-source facetime, or even port it to Android. All they have to do is release a free Windows version of it and it will become a very competitive product. Of course, openning up the standard is still a vital step, without it, facetime will never be the first choice in video communication.
  • Reply 38 of 174
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Why? Microsoft will try to make Skype the standard, which they might do. They also can implement it into the 360 with their new Kinect, and introduce 3D skype. They also got bought out for a great price.

This is a very happy day for Skype, and a sad day for face time, which even though might be better, might not see the adoption it would have seen had Microsoft never done this.

I think you're giving Ballmer way too much credit.
  • Reply 39 of 174
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:

Will they try to close out iOS and Mac OS?

Maybe, but I don't think so.

Download and check out the Microsoft apps for iOS. Messenger, OneNote, Bing and PhotoSynth for iPhone. Bing for iPad.

They are all first class. In some cases (like PhotoSynth and some of the Bing features) they released an iOS version before their own platform.

We live in a very different world than a decade ago my friend
  • Reply 40 of 174
    edorfedorf Posts: 29member
    wow! everything microsoft touches they destroy ....

But it is as much a shame that Facetime is not free!!