Facebook looking to circumvent Apple's App Store with HTML5 platform

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Ha! Over 6.5 billion people on earth and well below 1 billion use it. So yeah, most don't.

Not every one is rich.

Approximately 2 Billion people live BELOW the poverty line. Less than $1.25 a day.

That leaves 4 Billion people. However, there are also generally poor people in this world who cant afford computers or other luxuries to begin with. That is another 2 billion.

So those who CAN afford to use computers, approximately 2 billion, almost 1 billion people are using Facebook.

I think that is a lot.

Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...w-poverty-line
  • Reply 122 of 133
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Wow, the topic was Facebook, instead you attack the messenger, how adult of you. Care to talk about the actual topic, or just strawman arguments?

Sounds like you ought to start watch Judge Andrew Napolitano's Freedom Watch show, to expand your limited worldview:

http://www.fauxbusiness.com/on-air/f...tch/index.html

or

http://usaguns.net/patrioots/fw10.php

Stop spamming the list with this lunatic fringe rightwing nut-job stuff.

Half the people that come here aren't even from the USA and only a tiny minority of Americans believe all that conspiracy theory garbage.

It's off-topic, out of place here, and offensive to any normal thinking person.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    nondualnondual Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

The challenge for web apps is the lack of one-click "instant on" gratification. Yes, we have become so lazy, on a mobile or tablet, navigating to a website, click-click-click can be a bit tiresome. But it also reflects that a desktop website is obviously not designed for mobile and tablet.

This is an interesting and important point, IMHO. I'm so used to looking for 'site apps' from iPhone and iPad use that I semi-consciously reach for them on my iMac and am a bit bummed when they don't exist. Lion could have me running apps for popular sites in one 'space' or screen with a simple multi-touch gesture to bring it up. Add push notifications and I'm set. I don't want them buried in a browser tab (with Safari slowly leaking memory), but I'd gladly have them running 'next screen swipe' or a four-finger pinch away. Even better if they would be frozen and not sucking up resources until I get a push notification and go back to the app. Many of these sites are on twitter - so it'd be awesome to see it come up in twitter and link to the app.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 125 of 133
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

The financial times is already doing this. The latest version of the FT for iOS is fully HTML5 and doesn't need you to go to the app store, even for the offline version. It's far far faster than the app and has all the same offline features (you just need to increase the Safari database size to 50mb.

Facebook (as usual) is WAY behind the curve here and I'm quite surprised this is even a story. The main reason this is good news for consumers is that any handset that has full HTML5 capability can use these free apps. If you decide to switch to Android or WinMob then it doesn't matter.

As far as I can tell, mobile Safari is the best HTML5 mobile web browser.

A web app is pretty much a website as far as anybody normal is concerned. It's almost pointless. The app won't appear in your desktop, it won't be discoverable in the app store. And so on. The FT won't get anything from this the wouldn't get from a website. What these companies should try and do is try and sell their content more than once.

HTML 5 has as much chance on an iPad as it does on the mac. You can already play games on the FB page in safari on the mac. Not setting the world alight.

Web apps are useless. When the iPhone came out it had web apps. Nobody developed anything, the gold rush began when the sdk was released.

As for FT - the Economist app was downloaded 2 million times. Good luck with the FT app getting anything more than what it would on a website. Webapps are not apps.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Not every one is rich.

Approximately 2 Billion people live BELOW the poverty line. Less than $1.25 a day.

That leaves 4 Billion people. However, there are also generally poor people in this world who cant afford computers or other luxuries to begin with. That is another 2 billion.

So those who CAN afford to use computers, approximately 2 billion, almost 1 billion people are using Facebook.

I think that is a lot.

Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ec...w-poverty-line

The figure is 500M. And it has peaked. Numbers have started to fall. For social networks that could the kiss of death. As friends leave, more people leave, and so on.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Lots of reasons.

a) High design standards

b) High build quality

c) Long product lifespan (3 years of software support for iPhone models so far, Android handsets averagesaround a year, unless you jailbreak)

IBM used to say the same thing about their PCs business. Look what happened to that. A bunch of cheap no brand machines that could run the same software came along and started eating into IBM's margins.

HTML5 makes it easier for the knock offs to run the same apps as the genuine iOS devices. It therefore makes it easier to buy one of the competing devices.
  • Reply 128 of 133
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

A couple of years ago i heard Apple talk a lot about HTML 5. Lately, not so much.

Note the date:

appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/26/apple_revamps_its_public_website_using_html5

You wouldn't be one to let your trolling get in the way of the facts, would you?
  • Reply 129 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Huh? What part of Facebook's current implementation uses Flash?

Do you know who the most profitable game developer in the world is, and what primary platform they use? This article is about developers like Zynga and Playfish (now owned by EA Games) switching from Flash to HTML5.
  • Reply 130 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The figure is 500M. And it has peaked. Numbers have started to fall. For social networks that could the kiss of death. As friends leave, more people leave, and so on.

People aren't going to leave en masse until something better is available, with all the bells and whistles -- photo uploading and tagging, personal, broadcast and instant messaging, games, product pages, interest pages, groups, apps, games... and everything else. Nothing, especially Twitter, comes even close. Now that we've been weaned on social networking it's not like we're suddenly going to give it up or settle for a far less complete option.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    Right-wing, conspiracy theories -- NOPE, Freedom, liberty and dissemination of information -- YEP. Do you even comprehend the difference? Your irrational reply is surely an ad-hominem attack! Any appeal to reason, vs knee jerk emotion?

What does this have to do with the FaceBook Spy Network anyhow? Unfortunately, your posts have shown you are not a "normal thinking person" you reference, resorting to all sorts of attacks, instead of REASON.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Stop spamming the list with this lunatic fringe rightwing nut-job stuff.

Half the people that come here aren't even from the USA and only a tiny minority of Americans believe all that conspiracy theory garbage.

It's off-topic, out of place here, and offensive to any normal thinking person.

• Reply 132 of 133
    Not Fox, but Fox Business -- they have the distinction of two highly liberty-oriented programs:

1. John Stossel's "Stossel" show

2. Judge Andrew Napolitano's "Freedom Watch" show

Often the standard Fox programming is not well accepting of the views of liberty (just look how they treated Ron Paul in 2008!), but these programs are notable exceptions.

CNN is no better, however, look how they discriminated against former NM Governor Gary Johnson from participation in the Presidential debate this week, despite qualifying to participate!

Anyhow, ya could not pay me to join the FaceBook Spy Network...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Fox to expand your world view! This is going from good to great.

• Reply 133 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

People aren't going to leave en masse until something better is available, with all the bells and whistles -- photo uploading and tagging, personal, broadcast and instant messaging, games, product pages, interest pages, groups, apps, games... and everything else. Nothing, especially Twitter, comes even close. Now that we've been weaned on social networking it's not like we're suddenly going to give it up or settle for a far less complete option.

Twitter is totally different. Anyway I have a feeling that all the "advantages" you list are disadvantages in reality. People moved to Facebook because it was a simple. Then this stuff was bolted on. Now they are moving away.