Skype confirms native iPad version coming with video chat

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
After a leaked video revealed an upcoming Skype iPad app with video chat, an executive for the company has confirmed the software is indeed coming soon and will take advantage of the cameras on the iPad 2.

A promotional video for Skype for iPad briefly appeared on the company's YouTube channel on Friday and was discovered by Twitter user "trackizmy1." The video was quickly taken down, but not before screenshots and footage of video calls on the iPad 2 were captured and reposted by Razorianfly.

Following the leak, TUAW spoke with Skype VP of Consumer and Product Design Rick Osterloh regarding the app. Osterloh said he expects the iPad to have a "similar success" to the iPhone version of Skype, which saw quick uptake. According to the executive, the iPad version will have basically the same functionality: chatting, audio and video calling. Although, a few features, such as file sharing, weren't ported from Skype's PC and Mac clients.

Osterloh said the app has been in testing for a few months, though he declined to provide a release date for it. Though the original iPad ran only a compatible release of Skype for iPhone, the company found the camera in the iPad 2 to be "super compelling" and decided to develope a native app to make use of it.

The executive also revealed that Apple has been "super supportive" of Skype, despite the fact that the company's offerings compete with the iPhone's calling and FaceTime functionality. Skype released a video-enabled iPhone app last December, with support for video calls over 3G.

CNet reports that Skype for iPad will arrive next Tuesday. The publication received an early hands-on look at the app, noting that it's "fairly intuitive," but not as "polished or snazzy" as some other iPad apps. According to the report, Skype for iPad will work on both the original iPad and the iPad 2, with the first-generation tablet able to receive video. Of course, broadcasting video remains limited to the iPad 2, as the first iPad lacks a camera. Like the iPhone version, Skype for iPad will support video calls over 3G, though the report found Skype quality to be "often subpar" over 3G.

Microsoft confirmed last month plans to acquire Skype for $8.5 billion in cash. During the announcement, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer assured that Skype would remain committed to non-Microsoft platforms.

As for Apple, the company has aggressively adopted its FaceTime standard, launching it first on the iPhone 4, then bringing it to the iPod touch, Mac and iPad 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    very interesting. i wonder if apple will open facetime over 3g.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It's about time. I'd been using the iPhone version of Skype and it looks disgusting on an iPad. Out of the 100+ apps that I have, it's one of the few where I have to blow it up 2X. Good riddance to all iPhone apps.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    joseph ljoseph l Posts: 197member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The executive also revealed that Apple has been "super supportive" of Skype, despite the fact that the company's offerings compete with the iPhone's calling and FaceTime functionality. Skype released a video-enabled iPhone app last December, with support for video calls over 3G.

How can Apple make money off of Skype? I don't get it.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

By selling more iPads. Having apps like Skype makes it a more appealing platform for consumers. The amount of money that Apple makes from the AppStore is pretty much irrelevant. If Facetime fails and everyone uses Skype, it doesn't matter as long as people still buy Apple hardware as that is where the real profits are made.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Finally, an iPad version. Blow-up iPhone version is really lame. Now when is the Facebook for iPad coming out?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joseph L View Post

I think it is a matter of not being anit-competative. With market share like the iPad has, it is easy for companies to point the finger and cry foul.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    mdcatmdcat Posts: 79member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

By selling more iPads. Having apps like Skype makes it a more appealing platform for consumers. The amount of money that Apple makes from the AppStore is pretty much irrelevant. If Facetime fails and everyone uses Skype, it doesn't matter as long as people still buy Apple hardware as that is where the real profits are made.

But won't it cannibalize iPhone sales? I really have no use for a smart phone. Apart from not needingall the bells and whistles I don't care for using such a small screen for any length of time or entering input using my thumbs on such a small keyboard.

However, if an iPad can make ordinary phone calls through Skype (not just video calls to Skype customers) for virtually nothing (~$30 per years in N. America) then I might well buy one.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I personal think, this is how MS will get some of the billions they spend to get Skype.

This should be HUGH for them, and in turn for Apple. As said earlier, if it works, it will have MILLIONS more thinking of, if not purchasing an iPad.

Service families alone could make a serious dent in the numbers. Not to mention college kids, kids on vacations and so on.

Had this been out 2 months ago, WE would have purchased one instead of the MacBook, so YES I can see it cutting into the sells on MacBooks, iPod Touches and more.

Skip
  • Reply 9 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

I personal think, this is how MS will get some of the billions they spend to get Skype.

How?

Quote:

This should be HUGH for them, and in turn for Apple. As said earlier, if it works, it will have MILLIONS more thinking of, if not purchasing an iPad.

Why (for the sake of Skype)?

Quote:

Service families alone could make a serious dent in the numbers. Not to mention college kids, kids on vacations and so on.

WHY? When iMessage and FaceTime do it for free.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How?

Why (for the sake of Skype)?

WHY? When iMessage and FaceTime do it for free.

Mostly because to date, more folks use skype then facetime, so until Apple can get more folks switching to Facetime, skype is still very popular.

YES, once everyone switches to Apple products, and everyone tries and is ok with Facetime, skype won't be big, but until then, I think this could be hugh.

Let's not forgot ad's pasted all over the skpye web site, and the millions still using PC's. Hell tell me how Vonage is still in business, and use that to see how Skype will be and why this should be a big deal for them.

We (me for sure) have to stop looking at what we see and hear, and remember there is a big world out there, and everyone isn't the same.

Like Branson once said when ask, why in hell would you open a soda plant, and try to go up against Coke and Pepsi, to which he said "I'm not going to go up against them" "all I want is 1-3% of the business" "Why only 1-3%?" "Because that will still make me millions of dollars and won't hurt or be felt by them at all"!

Skip
  • Reply 11 of 16
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    iMessage and Facetime are limited to Apple's devices. I don't know about you, but the vast majority of my friends and family don't own an iPhone, iPod touch, iPad or Mac, so I can't use Facetime to talk to them.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macpipmacpip Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Mostly because to date, more folks use skype then facetime, so until Apple can get more folks switching to Facetime, skype is still very popular.

YES, once everyone switches to Apple products, and everyone tries and is ok with Facetime, skype won't be big, but until then, I think this could be hugh.

Who is Hugh? I think you meant "hugE". Sorry, but once is a typo, twice needs correcting...

Anyhow, I agree with you. Facetime is great but Skype is (at least for now) more widespread. Choice is good.

Thank you.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Hugh uses Facetime. He doesn't care for all the Hkype.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Skype is horrible and badly coded on any platform. Always has been. Handy though.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    ash1ash1 Posts: 5member
    And we're still waiting. Come on Skype get your finger out your ****
  • Reply 16 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ASH1 View Post

And we're still waiting. Come on Skype get your finger out your ****

Owned by Microsoft now, so there's no real reason for them to help out a competitor.