Lawsuit accuses Missouri Apple Store of race, gender discrimination

Comments

• Reply 61 of 122
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 519member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThomasT View Post

Because of the unequal protection under the law offered to minorities, gender benders, and other "protected" classes through agencies such as the EEOC, there is a backlash effect. Any prospective employer would weigh the risks of hiring someone who might sue them if things didn't work out.

Do white males have the same options as protected classes do when they are unhappy? Of course not. Therefore, there is arguably less legal risk to hire non-protected classes, i.e. "white males".

You can't have it both ways, folks.

Lol. Yep. I remember a great Affirmative Action training class I got to go to. When asking whether the hiring practices would be reversed (that is, hiring whites over others) in the case that the balance at the company was too high in minority hiring, I got a "Well, no!". When asking whether that didn't make these hiring practices discriminatory, it was explained to me "No, that's affirmative action!".

Whatever. If a company is intentionally favoring one candidate over another because of color, it's discrimination, but of course if it's against whites then it's legally protected and Politically Correct discrimination.
  • Reply 62 of 122
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This fool should be happy she has a job. In a declining economy with over 30 million people looking for work, any person who has a job should be grateful to the employer. If you don't like it, quit.

So in your world anyone who is discriminated against in a bad economy should just roll over and take it? You don't know what's going on here any more than I do, she might have a case. If you cared at all about the well being of Apple or it's employees, you would let this case take its fair, due course. Maybe you don't believe in laws?

Quote:

There are other ways to get a promotion and advancement in a work place, other than checking to see how many of your skin color types are present.

It may be a valid point, for all we know right now this manager does indeed have a prejudice against dark skinned blacks. I'm sure evidence will present itself quickly enough.

Quote:

Obama is the president. How many black people out of the reported 453 employees in the white house are blacks? Less than 7 percent. Is any of them suing? Hell, no.

You don't have a valid or coherent point. They aren't suing the boss, so probably none of them feel discriminated against. What's the issue? Why bring up this as an example of... anything?

Quote:

Apple should start letting employees sign an Arbitration Waiver like Walmart. Working at an Apple store is more than a retail job, you are getting an education for your future. Be grateful!

I don't know why anyone here would want APPL to be like wal-mart in any way, shape or form.
  • Reply 63 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I find this interesting because there is a large number of African Americans at my place of work, along with a bunch of other minorities. Generally the staff does not throw in the race card.

Generally.

I'm black and I work with black people too. I can safely say, with some expertise, that the race card is used a lot by black folks, especially when a poor evaluation is given based on incompetence rather than color.

F.Y.I., I'm not African American, I'm black. African American is a bullshit phrase that was made up by someone who was trying to be P.C. But hey, if it makes you feel less guilty
  • Reply 64 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

rubbish...

Not so. They will not even hire me- a seventy year old Indian who has been a fanboy since 1976.
  • Reply 65 of 122
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

But what puzzle me even more is the fact that she made distinction between her situation and others lighter skinned African American. She look like to be the one who made race discrimination here.

I am not black and I cannot speak on their behalf, but even I know that there is more discrimination with darker skinned than lighter.

Anybody after reading this article who says this suit is rubbish or that she is wrong, is just crazy. How can any of us know one way or the other based on just this article?
  • Reply 66 of 122
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Generally.

I'm black and I work with black people too. I can safely say, with some expertise, that the race card is used a lot by black folks, especially when a poor evaluation is given based on incompetence rather than color.

Maybe you are right, but it is just silly for any of us to speculate without any first hand knowledge. An article like this should have commenting turned off.
  • Reply 67 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Maybe you are right, but it is just silly for any of us to speculate without any first hand knowledge. An article like this should have commenting turned off.

You make a good point.
  • Reply 68 of 122
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You see you demonstrate the same sort of ignorance that you accuses the Tea Party (<-- fixed your typo for you!) members of being involved in. Frankly it is pretty easy to demonstrate that those in the Democratic Party are shallow ignorant thinkers, self centered, thieves, lazy and not concerned about the welfare of their fellow man. In fact one could easy see the parties name being changed to the Lazy No Good Thieves Party with the result that it would be a more accurate name.

Oh crap. I get it now! Wizard69 is a conservative right-leaning righty. Standing up for the Tea Party, calling the dems names =) Maybe this is why our viewpoints don't line up so well.
  • Reply 69 of 122
    acslater017acslater017 Posts: 424member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I posted a link to it. It's 47% black, 45% white. So Apple's 8% ratio is way off.

Since when is Apple required to fill a quota to match the local population?

In any case, who says even half of the applicants for jobs were black?

The whole thing stinks, IMO. Of course, I was not there so I cannot say definitively. If the manager said she didn't deal well with customers, and she rubbed several of her co-workers the wrong way, why would that possibly earn you a promotion?

Of course, I'm sure the whole thing is a racist conspiracy.
  • Reply 70 of 122
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Shining the light on what issue? Aren't you assuming there actually is an issue here?

My original post stated that I hope that this case hitting the news would shine the light on the larger issue of racism in high end retail. Most high end retailers are discriminatory by nature in their hiring practices. Many times they hire people they feel represent their brand, which in most cases are young attractive Caucasians.

I'm not saying retailers should hire minorities just for the sake of equality, but I think young attractive Asians, blacks, and hispanics that are qualified should have a place in high end retail just as much as whites.

In Apple's case most Apple stores in my area are very diverse and I think it's a beautiful thing. People of all ages and colors representing the products is wonderful.
  • Reply 71 of 122
    juanguapojuanguapo Posts: 75member
    Apple or no Apple, retail is still retail--anyone who has worked retail knows that.

I take no side in this except to say that this could have happened anywhere; the fact that it's apple makes no difference.
  • Reply 72 of 122
    smack416smack416 Posts: 63member
    Quote:

And whites very often find light-skinned blacks less intimidating or threatening than dark-skinned blacks, and lighter-skinned blacks are often considered more beautiful by whites, because they have "whiter" features.

Please refrain from making your stereotypical statements about white people without clarifying them with "...in America." Us Canadians don't want to be lumped in with this madness.
  • Reply 73 of 122
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Most high end retailers are discriminatory by nature in their hiring practices.

Really? I didn't know that. Do you have some data that supports this claim or is this merely your observation and perception of what's happening in "most high end retailers?"
  • Reply 74 of 122
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

In english next time okay. Try to string together a cogent argument and a intelligent sentence. Have your mommy help you next time.

Oh just jump you ate good at that
  • Reply 75 of 122
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starwarrior View Post

Not so. They will not even hire me- a seventy year old Indian who has been a fanboy since 1976.

Lol, you are nasty!
  • Reply 76 of 122
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Let this run it's course in the courtroom. None of us were there, so it would be foolish to offer an opinion.
  • Reply 77 of 122
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smack416 View Post

Please refrain from making your stereotypical statements about white people without clarifying them with "...in America." Us Canadians don't want to be lumped in with this madness.

hear hear.

Seriously, if any of you Yanks want to find out what it's like to live without racial prejudice, move up here to Canada. We've had higher immigration rates than you for 30 years or more and the whites have long since ceased being a significant majority in many urban areas. There are very few people who are pure anything anymore.

Where I live 40 years ago *everyone* was white (and I mean *everyone*), now the whites are a minority in the under 20 crowd, everyone is peacefully integrated and I haven't heard a racist comment or seen a racist act for at least twenty years now.

If you go outside of the cities, of course you are twenty years in the past and the white culture still rules supreme but that' true of the boonies in any country. That's why people move out of cities in the first place, to get back to the past.
  • Reply 78 of 122
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    Quote:

I posted a link to it. It's 47% black, 45% white. So Apple's 8% ratio is way off.

So, you'd be someone who thinks that the NBA court's ethnic ratio is waaaaaaay off?
  • Reply 79 of 122
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Seriously, if any of you Yanks want to find out what it's like to live without racial prejudice, move up here to Canada.

What if I'm an Inuit?
  • Reply 80 of 122
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    They just offered to hire me and I'm half-black, but unfortunately I'm moving soon and had to decline the offer.