iBooks to boost Apple's iTunes into a $13 billion business by 2013

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Once Apple adds an iBooks app for mac I'll actually take it seriously and buy books from the iBooks store

Yep. Then I can unhook my 27" iMac from its stand, tape a multi-touch trackpad on the bottom, and I just made myself the world's biggest iPad that I can enjoy from the comfort of my sofa.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Remember when he said that people don't read books anymore? I think he said that most people only read one book a year or so.

But smart people change their minds when the evidence shows them otherwise. I would imagine that when the Kindle's sales rose to a certain point, even though Amazon has, so far, refused to give sales numbers, Apple decided that it was a worthy area to get involved in.

I hate to say it, but I hate using physical books because it meant I had to carry them around in one way or another, so it discouraged me from reading. Sad but true.

My iPad changed all that. I have probably read more in the last couple months since getting my iPad than I have in the past 4-5 years. It's just convenient to carry that around.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Yep. Then I can unhook my 27" iMac from its stand, tape a multi-touch trackpad on the bottom, and I just made myself the world's biggest iPad that I can enjoy from the comfort of my sofa.

I don't know about iBooks, but that's exactly how I buy my apps for the iPad. iTunes on OSX is better for app shopping than the built in app on the iPad, so I usually buy my iPad apps looking at my 27" monitor and using a multi touch trackpad.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't know about iBooks, but that's exactly how I buy my apps for the iPad. iTunes on OSX is better for app shopping than the built in app on the iPad, so I usually buy my iPad apps looking at my 27" monitor and using a multi touch trackpad.

Well then.. I presume you're maybe one room away to haul that iMac on the sofa right?
  • Reply 25 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Well then.. I presume you're maybe one room away to haul that iMac on the sofa right?

It's not exactly an iMac. It's just an external 27" monitor that I use hooked up to my laptop at the moment. I do have an older iMac, but I don't really use that anymore.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    So these idiots can tell me how much money Apple will earn two years from now, but weren't able to tell me when the white iPhone would come out.

I'd like to know the jackasses that are making millions shorting Apple stock based on this type of virtually imaginary information.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As if you would know.

I know you answered a sarcastic remark with a serious soliloquy. It's there for all to see. Lolololololo
  • Reply 28 of 62
    mrmiaggimrmiaggi Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Once Apple adds an iBooks app for mac I'll actually take it seriously and buy books from the iBooks store

I agree. It absolutely sucks not being able to sync your iBooks to the Mac. Wake up Apple!
  • Reply 29 of 62
    deewindeewin Posts: 34member
    Love ibooks but Kindle+whispersync is a better experience for read books on multiple devices.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    Ditto. Not a buyer until Mac readability happens as it does in Google eBooks & Kindle books. Why pay more and get less? Apple has head in cloud on this one.

[NQUOTE=blackbook;1896126]Once Apple adds an iBooks app for mac I'll actually take it seriously and buy books from the iBooks store[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 31 of 62
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Smart people also pick up on sarcasm.

I saw it more as irony than sarcasm... but that's another debate.

Go iBooks!
  • Reply 32 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    How long have we heard the iTunes Store was just a break even model to help sales of other products? We can now add this as yet another major profit center for Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member
    "...his research shows that book publishers themselves have begun to prefer Apple’s iBook ‘ePub’ format over that of Amazon’s market-leading Kindle format.".

This statement is pure sophistry. Both Apple and Amazon pay the publisher the same amount for books. The "format" is irrelevant. The author's goal seems to be to move markets not relate relevant truths. FWIW, I suspect most of the posters herewith have never used a Kindle.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Smart people also pick up on sarcasm.

Truly smart people (not to mention successful comedians) know that sarcasm is wit for the witless.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Ugh - I hate iBooks on the iPhone. No orientation lock and a distinctly sticky page turning animation. Maybe on the iPhone5 it will be better.

What the hell are you talking about. iBooks has orientation lock on an iPhone.

I think Preview will take over on the Mac rather than a separate app unless Preview disappears and becomes iBooks. Either way it makes sense rather than having another app.

iBooks Store would make even more if it was rolled out to more countries. Still can't get anything more than the free stuff which is limiting.

I want computer books and Tom Clancy novels but I can't get them unless I lock into the Amazon Kindle and it's okay but it sucks compared to iBooks experience.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Truly smart people (not to mention successful comedians) know that sarcasm is wit for the witless.

Actually research shows that to understand sarcasm you have to be very intelligent so that really makes your comment false... but then I guess you'd know that if you were smart.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:

But first we'll need to be able to actually BUY books from the international store. Sadly it's just for US users. International users only have access to old, free Project Gutenberg books. So for me, the iBook store is just a gimmick people keep talking about... Just like iTunes movies.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

But first we'll need to be able to actually BUY books from the international store. Sadly it's just for US users. International users only have access to old, free Project Gutenberg books. So for me, the iBook store is just a gimmick people keep talking about... Just like iTunes movies.

Huh? Where are you located? Here in Australia we have all the major publishers in the iBookstore. Sadly not all of the publishers books are there though, like I couldn't find 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but other popular stuff like the Twilight novels are all in there.

Same as the iTunes movie store.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    I cannot buy iBooks in the Netherlands or most other European countries.

J.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDunno View Post

Huh? Where are you located? Here in Australia we have all the major publishers in the iBookstore. Sadly not all of the publishers books are there though, like I couldn't find 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' but other popular stuff like the Twilight novels are all in there.

Same as the iTunes movie store.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

I cannot buy iBooks in the Netherlands or most other European countries.

J.

Same for a lot of Asian countries.

It's quite a miracle that Australia went from virtually ignored by Apple at the turn of the millennium to being on the same tier as the UK in terms of product releases and iTunes Stores.

What the analyst does not mention is the paucity of iBooks in most countries.

I use a US iTunes account and even in the US the iBookstore is still pretty lightweight though admittedly growing.

I think Steve Jobs had big plans for iBookstore but McGraw Hill spilling the beans on the iPad right before it was officially announced probably reduced Steve's enthusiasm somewhat:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3106...m-apple-tablet