AT&T to add iPhone models to standard insurance plan on July 17

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T has announced that, effective July 17, newly activated or upgraded iPhones will be eligible for the company's standard mobile insurance plan, which costs $4.99 a month.

The wireless carrier has done away with its iPhone-specific insurance plan, folding optional coverage into its standard insurance offering, as first noticed by MacRumors.

"Effective July 17, 2011, the Apple iPhone (all models) will be eligible for coverage with the AT&T Mobile Insurance program (formerly Wireless Phone Insurance)," the company said. "Enrollment restrictions apply. Customers can only enroll within 30 days of a new activation or upgrade, prior activations or upgrades outside of 30 days are not eligible."

AT&T's Mobile Insurance program carries a $4.99 a month premium and covers loss, theft, accidental damage and mechanical or electrical failure after the manufacturer's warranty period has expired. The plan's deductible runs $50 or $125 per approved claim, depending on the device, and only two claims are allowed within any consecutive 12 months.

As Apple's original carrier partner for the iPhone in 2007, AT&T chose not to offer wireless insurance on the device. In 2010, AT&T added a separate insurance option for iPhone customers, though the plan was nearly twice as expensive as third-party warranties.

Rival carrier Verizon Wireless, which began carrying the iPhone 4 in February, also offers insurance for the iPhone, though the handset's plan is more expensive than those of other devices. The company's Total Equipment Coverage for the iPhone costs $10.99 a month per device, with a $169 deductible for the 16GB model and $199 for the 32GB model. Standard wireless insurance from Verizon costs $6.99 a month for non-iPhone devices, with competing smartphones from HTC, Motorola and Research in Motion carrying a cheaper $99 deductible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    OK.. maybe now they will allow their prepaid data plans to work with the iPhone since it is not exclusive to them and is treated like any other smartphone.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I don't know why anybody who has basic math skills would pay for phone insurance with the carrier.

Apple only charges $199 for an iPhone replacement out of warranty. The only time you can't do that is if the phone is in pieces.

Verizon's plan is just plain ridiculous, but even with AT&T's you're just throwing away money.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jediorange View Post

I don't know why anybody who has basic math skills would pay for phone insurance with the carrier.

Apple only charges $199 for an iPhone replacement out of warranty. The only time you can't do that is if the phone is in pieces.

Verizon's plan is just plain ridiculous, but even with AT&T's you're just throwing away money.

These insurance plans are modern versions of line insurance the Telco scammed back in the day, out of every one.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:

What about if your iPhone is lost or stolen?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

Unless your phone is lost or stolen.

I have insurance for my daughter's phone because she's young enough that there's a risk that it will be lost - or one of her classmates will take it.

You are right that it's not a great deal for most people (especially with the high deductibles), but it's not hard to do the math and figure out "if the chances of this phone being lost during the 2 year contract period is greater than x%, then the insurance makes sense".
  • Reply 6 of 16
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    it makes a lot of sense, i broke 3 iphones and lost 1 with in a 15 month period, that insurance would have come in handy then.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    Well, wonders will never cease. AT&T has finally realized that it no longer has an exclusive on iPhone and has to compete, even if just a little.

I wonder when we'll be able to get reasonably-priced service plans that don't continue to rip you off after your contract is up? Or a GoPhone plan that includes data.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plovell View Post

Well, wonders will never cease. AT&T has finally realized that it no longer has an exclusive on iPhone and has to compete, even if just a little.

I wonder when we'll be able to get reasonably-priced service plans that don't continue to rip you off after your contract is up? Or a GoPhone plan that includes data.

Probably not until Apple lowers the price of the phone. The subsidy AT&T and Verizon give for the iPhone is the highest among smartphones so that's why they feel they have an excuse to nickel and dime iPhone customers.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Why not just buy the Apple extended warranty for about $70 and is good for 24 mos. (or 12 mos. past the manufactured's warranty) ? There's no deductable either. At least, there wasn't one with my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Arent Extended Warranties the biggest scams in any industry, you know like Apple Care. Over the last 10 years, of all the Apple products I have bough only the original Nano screen went dead. By then, a new generation came out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

it makes a lot of sense, i broke 3 iphones and lost 1 with in a 15 month period, that insurance would have come in handy then.

Whatthehellman! You are depleting Apple's cash reserve. I break and demolish apts and houses for a living. Nobody I know cracks their phones at that rate.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    You can insure your entire apartment and contents for ~$100/year.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I bought SquareTrade's for iPhone because of the coverage for accidental damage.

But for MBPs I get Applecare and it has been worth it
  • Reply 13 of 16
    hezetationhezetation Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Unless your phone is lost or stolen.

I have insurance for my daughter's phone because she's young enough that there's a risk that it will be lost - or one of her classmates will take it.

You are right that it's not a great deal for most people (especially with the high deductibles), but it's not hard to do the math and figure out "if the chances of this phone being lost during the 2 year contract period is greater than x%, then the insurance makes sense".

Before you throw your money at AT&T you should look into insuring it through whomever you get home or auto through. All State for example I believe insures your iPhone for $10 a year (might be off on that but I know it's dirt cheap). Hardware malfunction isn't covered but then that is what an AppleCare plan is for, still cheaper than a years worth of coverage through AT&T.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Before you throw your money at AT&T you should look into insuring it through whomever you get home or auto through. All State for example I believe insures your iPhone for $10 a year (might be off on that but I know it's dirt cheap). Hardware malfunction isn't covered but then that is what an AppleCare plan is for, still cheaper than a years worth of coverage through AT&T.

Is there a deductible on this? That might alter the equation.

But not enough to favor the AT&T plan - that's robbery.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Arent Extended Warranties the biggest scams in any industry, you know like Apple Care. Over the last 10 years, of all the Apple products I have bough only the original Nano screen went dead. By then, a new generation came out.

Whatthehellman! You are depleting Apple's cash reserve. I break and demolish apts and houses for a living. Nobody I know cracks their phones at that rate.

I don't like cases because they take away from the esthetic of the phone and I always hold the phones in my hand, so I break , drop, lose them on a much faster rate than most people