NPD data suggests Apple sold record 4.2M Macs in June quarter

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The latest domestic sales figures from the NPD Group suggest Apple may have sold as many as 4.2 million Macs in the June quarter, a sum that would represent the company's best quarter ever.

Domestic Mac NPD unit sales in the U.S. for all three months of the June quarter were up 12 percent year over year, analyst Gene Munster with Piper Jaffray revealed on Monday. That U.S.-only data is tracking in-line with or slightly below Wall Street consensus of between 15 percent and 22 percent year-over-year worldwide growth.

Those percentages work out to between 4 million and 4.2 million Mac sales for the June quarter. If Apple's sales come in on the high side of those estimates, the company would best its previous record of 4.1 million units sold in the holiday quarter that ended calendar 2010.

"Note that domestic NPD has understated Apple's worldwide growth rates by about 5 percentage points over the last several quarters," Munster wrote. "We also note that we estimate that Mac revenue will represent just 22% of overall revenue in (calendar year 2011)."

NPD figures show that U.S. Mac sales decelerated 7 percent year over year in June, resulting in 12 percent total growth from 2010 in the last month of the quarter.

"We believe consumer anticipation of the new Mac operating system, Lion, announced on 6/6 to ship in July, and new MacBook Airs (estimated 16% of Mac units in the June quarter) likely shipping in July negatively impacted June quarter Mac sales," Munster wrote. "However, we expect these same factors to cause a reacceleration in Mac growth in the Sept. quarter."

Previous NPD figures showed that U.S. Mac sales grew 15 percent in April and May, the first two months of the quarter. The company will reveal its actual worldwide Mac sales, along with iPhones, iPads and iPods, in its quarterly earnings report tomorrow after markets close. AppleInsider will have full live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Just wait for sales of the new MacBook Air with SandyBridge, thunderbolt and a lighted keyboard when it hits the street. That thing is gonna sell like ice cream from an icecream truck surrounded by kids in the midwest in the middle of heat wave in summer. Emmm gimme gimme.

Sprinkles on this ice cream would be USB 3 but I wouldnt count on that.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    macologistmacologist Posts: 264member
    Are Thunderbolt Macbooks coming soon? If not, why just Macbook Air only?

Congratulations to all AAPL investors! Your Faith, Loyalty, Common Sense is being rewarded yet again!

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ig&q=AAPL

I am counting seconds to buy the Next iPhone, and Macbook Pro, Antiglare!

I can't wait for Apple to Reinvent TV, as they've done with Cell Phones!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Just wait for sales of the new MacBook Air with SandyBridge, thunderbolt and a lighted keyboard when it hits the street. That thing is gonna sell like ice cream from an icecream truck surrounded by kids in the midwest in the middle of heat wave in summer. Emmm gimme gimme.

Sprinkles on this ice cream would be USB 3 but I wouldnt count on that.

It's going to sell faster than crack to a million cocaine using Goldmen Sachs executives and their crack using girlfriends and their old crack dealers who forgot the golden rule of not smoking their own supply and then couple that with the number of new men J LO has bagged and discarded since leaving Marc Anthony last week, DAMN!!!!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

It's going to sell faster than crack to a million cocaine using Goldmen Sachs executives and their crack using girlfriends and their old crack dealers who forgot the golden rule of not smoking their own supply and then couple that with the number of new men J LO has bagged and discarded since leaving Marc Anthony last week, DAMN!!!!

That's more "crack" then a comic book convention.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    @ AI headline writer: The word "data" is the plural form of "datum." That would be "NPD data suggest Apple sold..."
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Congratulations to all AAPL investors! Your Faith, Loyalty, Common Sense is being rewarded yet again!

I've decide I will eventually sell when it hits 1000
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

Thunderbolt will be on every Apple device by the end of 2012.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Unit\t ASP\t Revenue

Macs\t4.2\t 1400\t5880

iPods\t8.5\t 180\t 1530

iPhones\t19\t 650\t 12350

iPads\t9\t 650\t 5850

iTunes\t5000\t0.3\t 1500

Others\t\t\t 1000

\t\t\t 28110

If Apple come close to these numbers it wouldn't surprise me that they post 30BB revenue this quarter.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DogGone View Post

Unit\t ASP\t Revenue

Macs\t4.2\t 1400\t5880

iPods\t8.5\t 180\t 1530

iPhones\t19\t 650\t 12350

iPads\t9\t 650\t 5850

iTunes\t5000\t0.3\t 1500

Others\t\t\t 1000

\t\t\t 28110

If Apple come close to these numbers it wouldn't surprise me that they post 30BB revenue this quarter.

I'm lower but still optimistic

Mac \t4.05 1290\t 5228

iPod \t8.5\t 175\t 1488

iPhone \t18\t 650\t 11700

iPad \t7.5\t 600\t 4500

iTunes\tNA\t NA\t 1850

Others\t\t\t 1350

\t\t\t 26116

EPS $6.82