Strong sales of Apple's new Thunderbolt MacBook Airs cause some stock-outs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Some locations have reportedly been sold out of Apple's newly updated Thunderbolt MacBook Air models, as consumers have been quick to embrace the refreshed thin-and-light notebook.

Checks conducted by analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities have indicated that the new MacBook Air has seen "very strong" demand thus far in the U.S. He said there have been instances of temporary stock-outs of certain models at some locations.

"Overall, we sense a bit more of a preference for the higher-end 11-inch models but the 13-inch also seems to be popular," he wrote in a note to investors on Monday. "Netting this out, the MacBook Air has truly redefined the laptop computing market, in our view, and we expect this momentum to continue."

Further evidence of constraints with the MacBook Air can be found with Apple's own resellers, many of which do not have hardware in stock. Some resellers found in the AppleInsider Mac Pricing Guide (included below) do have some custom configurations currently in-stock, such as the 13.3-inch model with a 1.8GHz processor and 256GB of flash storage, available for $1,614.08 from MacMall.

The new MacBook Air models, with Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors and the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, were released last month. Like the previous-generation models, the MacBook Air starts at $999, but the discontinuation of the white MacBook makes the 11.6-inch MacBook Air Apple's only sub-$1,000 notebook.

White said the timing of the release of the new MacBook Air models is key for Apple because it will keep the company in the minds of consumers even without a new iPhone available for sale. He believes that Apple has the hottest lineup of products for the back-to-school season and holidays.

"In our view, successful Apple launches are key in driving the halo effect that drives incremental demand for other Apple products," he wrote.

Apple does not break out the MacBook Air as a percentage of total Mac sales, but White would not be surprised if the MacBook Air is the best-selling Mac product at many Apple stores. With the latest IDC and Gartner estimates pegging Apple's total share of worldwide PC sales at less than 5.1 percent, Apple has plenty of room for growth in Mac shipments.

While the new MacBook Air has found immediate success, White expects adoption of the new Thunderbolt connector to take more time. The $49 Thunderbolt cable and lack of available accessories are seen as barriers to adoption at the moment, though he expects that to change over time.

White also sees Apple releasing a new iPhone in the September timeframe, and expects a so-called "iPad 3" to arrive "ahead of the holidays" this year. He has a buy rating for AAPL stock, and has maintained a 12-month price target of $666.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    To make matters worse for the competition:
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Haha! $666 is what the Apple I cost originally. If Apple hits this price, they should just issue Apple I's instead of stock certificates.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To make matters worse for the competition:

I'm one week into using my new top-of-the-line 13" i7 MBA. I'll be putting my late-2010 MBA up on craigslist this week.

All-in-all, a very solid laptop just like the 2010. I have to admit, I do enjoy having the backlit keyboard again. Performance-wise, that i7 does make VMware/Windows7 a bit snappier but not by much IMHO. The i7 does run a bit warmer, especially when Flash is running.

Had to have the thunderbolt port when I found out their new 27" LED monitor supported a dock configuration. Having a wired-ethernet port at the office will make a huge difference. Just waiting for the darn monitor to show up!

Amazing that Apple was able to squeeze that much performance out of the Core2Duo machine. Still was faster than a dedicated Windoze iX PC in everyday stuff.

I give it a solid thumbs-up. No surprise it's selling out.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I’m on day two with my new 11” Air i7. I won’t lie: the “automatic” process of migrating from my old Mac was no picnic (actually, it wouldn't migrate at all during initial setup—but it worked fine via Migration Assistant AFTER the setup, so that’s my current recommendation for migrating Mac-to-Mac).

But that step is done, and the machine is great!

VERY fast. It amazes me how well it performs in Quake Wars (medium settings) and other apps, compared to my old iMac. Spotlight really is instant, finally, and Lion’s early quirks are very minor compared to all the new stuff I really like having. Also, the backlit keys are much brighter than the original Air—and also easier to see (bolder letters) even with the backlight off.

And now it looks like an external Thunderbolt GPU will, before long, make this micro-thin ultraportable also serve as a high-end gaming “tower!” Complete with standard upgradable card slot.

I can’t find anything like this in the PC world without spending a LOT more, and still in the end accepting a MUCH thicker and heavier machine (and no Thunderbolt or Lion). I guess PC makers don’t want you to have SSD speed in a sub-$1000 ultraportable. They’re always out to make more money and limit your options!

By the way, if you have an iPad, give yourself a 21” Air instead: DisplayPad and other apps will give you a (slightly slow) 10" external screen for your Mac. I find it doesn’t hog the iPad’s battery much at all, either. I’m loving the dual-screen wide workspace, and an Air+iPad is still thinner and lighter in my bag than many netbooks! Plus I can grab either “half” of the setup alone, depending on what I want at the moment. (And I believe if you add an external monitor or projector, the iPad still works—as a third screen!)
  • Reply 5 of 35
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    I'm not surprised. The higher-end 11" MacBook Air defines the "ultrabook" category, and with the new processors, the last major purchase objection has been addressed. It is no longer underpowered in terms of CPU, storage, or ports. Optical storage use has declined in the last 3.5 years, and graphics performance, while not stellar, is mainstream. And the prices are right.

The conspiracy theorists can have a field day with the analyst's $666 price target for Apple, though.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    $666 seems fitting. You can sell one share and buy an Apple I.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I think the stock outs portend well for a 15" MacBook Air.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Not surprising. Outstanding machines. Not that I have any hard evidence to prove it, but my 11"/1.8/4/256/Lion MBA feels substantially faster and snappier™ than my 2009 15"/4GB/2.53/500/SL MBP.

I am not kidding.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    I bought my first Macbook Air this week. I love it.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    I've said this before, but I wish I could justify getting one of these. Just playing with one at the Apple Store was so much fun.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

And now it looks like an external Thunderbolt GPU will, before long, make this micro-thin ultraportable also serve as a high-end gaming ?tower!? Complete with standard upgradable card slot.

Does it come with a truncate to make the payment of an arm and leg easier?

I'd like to believe in a future of affordable Thunderbolt devices like a PCIe16x bridge, but considering the cost of the CABLE alone is $50 and the cost of PCIe expansion boxes currently cost in excess of $700 not including the video card, and adding to this that not a single PC uses thunderbolt which severely limits the market (MORE so than firewire 800)...

Yea, well I won't be holding my breath. I'd love to be proven wrong, but when are we going to hit critical mass for such upgrades to leave the world of jetpacks and anti-gravity flying cars?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by strobe View Post

considering the cost of the CABLE alone is $50

Considering USB cables cost the same in '96 when they first came out...

...Thunderbolt will be adopted JUST FINE.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

S

White also sees Apple releasing a new iPhone in the September timeframe, and expects a so-called "iPad 3" to arrive "ahead of the holidays" this year. He has a buy rating for AAPL stock, and has maintained a 12-month price target of $666.

Yes, Apple is a beast. The Beast.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    With the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the 13-inch model 10 to 1. That is why Apple should make also a MacBook Air 7-inch to outsell them all. Because true portability is here the number one feature!
  • Reply 15 of 35
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

With the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the 13-inch model 10 to 1. That is why Apple should make also a MacBook Air 7-inch to outsell them all. Because true portability is here the number one feature!

[[..With the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the 13-inch model 10 to 1..]]

You just making up numbers?? Where did you get the "10 to 1"?? Make it up or get it from your head? :-)
  • Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

MacBook Air 7-inch

• Reply 17 of 35
    strobestrobe Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Considering USB cables cost the same in '96 when they first came out...

...Thunderbolt will be adopted JUST FINE.

Funny how that 'fact' gets bandied about without a SOURCE. Source? Citation? Bueller?

I call bullshit.

As for Thunderbolt being adopted....my whom prey tell? Hrmmm?

Oh, by the way, USB 3 cables? Cheap and widely available before Thunderbolt existed.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:

With the MacBook Air 11-inch outselling the 13-inch model 10 to 1.

Rubbish. All the reports I've seen suggest that the 11" model garners about 55% of MacBook Air sales and the 13" model garners about 45%.

Quote:

Funny how that 'fact' gets bandied about without a SOURCE. Source? Citation?

I don't have a source, but I can remember $29 USB cables at Fry's. I believe they could have been $49 at the Apple store when first introduced.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Apple should make also a MacBook Air 7-inch to outsell them all.

If Apple ever decides to join the list of failures (OQO, UMPC, netbooks) and make a 7 inch Macbook Air, it will hopefully be with a super glossy screen especially for you.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Funny how that 'fact' gets bandied about without a SOURCE. Source? Citation? Bueller?

So you're just not old enough to remember that. Got it.

Quote:

As for Thunderbolt being adopted....my whom prey tell? Hrmmm?

Sony, for one, and they hate Apple.

Quote:

Oh, by the way, USB 3 cables? Cheap and widely available before Thunderbolt existed.

Okay, what's your point?