Best Buy to give away Galaxy Tabs as Apple seeks ban across all of EU

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    I'll take a Galaxy Tab or an HP at a major discount any day. Gonna have to be less than $200 though. Otherwise, I'll just go get the iPad. I'm sure those devices work quite well. Their problem is that they are essentially duplicates of a product (the iPad) that has been made virtually perfect, positioned virtually perfect, and market virtually perfect.

Steve Jobs is a genius. He is to consumer electronics what Einstein was to mathematics. He just gets it on a deeply innate level. He sees it all very clearly.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

And again faking images to make the Galaxy S phones appear as identical to the iPhone as possible. If Apple is so convinced that Samsung smartphones are "copies" of their iPhone, why manipulate images to convince a court to agree? At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/19/d...awsuit-filing/

Want some more straws to grasp at?

Yes, the picture in question was a silly move. But it was simply one of MANY comparative pictures provided in the filing, all of which made the point perfectly well of flat out copying.

Still, feel free to look ignorant.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The reason I wrote what I wrote is because I was just reading something yesterday where it stated that the judge had access to the actual devices. If it wasn't the German judge like you say then it must have been the Dutch judge I assume. I don't remember where I read that info, but I'll post the link if I find it.

The judge did have access to many other pictures from the filing itself that were perfectly accurate. The one picture was a lame move, but essentially irrelevant.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Actions such as these should be seen for exactly what they are, anti-competitive attempts to stifle the competition by any means...legal, ethical or otherwise.

All things should be free to those who desire them?????? Your motto? :-)

Did you ever get a ticket for speeding? How unfair. One should get free gas and be able to drive as fast as one wants... Right?

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 25 of 70
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Furthermore, there has been an accusation that Apple's German lawyers doctored evidence submitted to the court to purposefully make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 appear more like the iPad than it really does. However, BBC News noted that the judge examined examples of both devices instead of relying strictly on Apple's legal briefs or Samsung's preemptive filing. A hearing is scheduled for August 25.

So, according to that, the BBC notes that the judge examined both devices and didn't just look at a few pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-smackdown.ars

They all believed the judge granted Apple ban because of one picture in the entire document. I'm not sure how one link, or even a hundred links, could change their mind.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

Thank you. I want you to know, I'm feeling quite gruntled right now.

Gruntle: 1. To utter a little or low grunt. Said of swine, occas. of other animals; rarely of persons.

2. To grumble, murmur, complain.

fromed from the verb `grunt

"Gruntled" as the opposite of disgruntled is merely a comical counterpoint, as disgruntled is a frequentative of grunt. (I should add: the 'dis' seems to be an intensifier here, not a reversal, as in disannul as opposed to disengage) First OED citation is from Wodehouse, if that is any indication.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

I found it......

Furthermore, there has been an accusation that Apple's German lawyers doctored evidence submitted to the court to purposefully make the Galaxy Tab 10.1 appear more like the iPad than it really does. However, BBC News noted that the judge examined examples of both devices instead of relying strictly on Apple's legal briefs or Samsung's preemptive filing. A hearing is scheduled for August 25.

So, according to that, the BBC notes that the judge examined both devices and didn't just look at a few pictures.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-smackdown.ars

So common sense does win out. BTW. the Dutch judge may have examined real devices. The German judge did not.

That makes Apple's manipulation of the images less of an issue in the Dutch Court. Still a somewhat dishonest piece of evidence submitted by Apple's counsel.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    <rant>

I'm so tired of all these commercials promising free this and free that.

It is NOT free if I have to do something to get it. If it's free it's free...right? If I have to buy a TV to get this piece of crap it's not free. There is also no free delivery.

Where I come from, Sweden, it's actually illegal to use the word free in marketing if it isn't free, really free. In this the land, the great outpost for the free world, the definition is lost...

</end rant>

/Mikael
  • Reply 29 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

So common sense does win out. BTW. the Dutch judge may have examined real devices. The German judge did not.

The BBC disagrees with you. Do have evidence to the contrary? What I posted is about the German court case, not the Dutch case. The hearing on Aug 25 is in the German court.

It is understood that the judge involved in the German case made his ruling based on a physical examination of the two tablets, rather than relying Apple's paper submission alone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14542200
  • Reply 30 of 70
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Electronista notes that the deal isn't as drastic as the $100 TouchPad price drop that lasted a week before HP on Thursday ultimately waved the white flag in defeat, but is nonetheless unusual for a $500 device that's been on the market for just a few weeks.

Is no one able to do math any more?

The Touchpad went from $499 to $399 (a 20% drop) or from $599 to $499 (a 17% drop).

Giving away a $500 on a $1500 TV purchase is a 25% discount. Even if you buy a $2,000 TV, it's a 20% discount.

So why does Electronista say it's not as drastic as the HP price drop - and why does AI simply repeat everything they read without any critical thinking?

OK, we know the answer to the latter part of that question.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Partial quote

A free Apple TV or iPod is at least a current and supported product. Hopefully BestBuy will keep enough back to swap out for the next few years as they fail.

My brother got a free ipod with his macbook pro purchase last summer. the ipod they gave him is old enough that it can't actually run most if iOS4. (just has folders, so comparable to 3g? version instead of 3GS) not really current.

Furthermore, The Galaxy Tab is current, and if the customer gets their black tie, it's a good bet they will have plenty left around. But then again, there's not too many cases of a galaxy tab "failing". Mine's been basically flawless since I picked it up on launch day.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 399member
    Quote:

At the very least Apple appears to be misleading the judge.

If you weren't mislead, why do you think the judge would be?
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Is no one able to do math any more?

The Touchpad went from $499 to $399 (a 20% drop) or from $599 to $499 (a 17% drop).

Giving away a $500 on a $1500 TV purchase is a 25% discount. Even if you buy a $2,000 TV, it's a 20% discount.

So why does Electronista say it's not as drastic as the HP price drop - and why does AI simply repeat everything they read without any critical thinking?

OK, we know the answer to the latter part of that question.

The drop isn't as drastic because the Tab isn't dropping in price any, it's a bundled discount. Best buy's TV's are more expensive than you can get elsewhere (more often than not) and they'll use this promotion to push people from getting a 2D TV up to a 3d, meaning spending more money. Also, more often than not, the user will put it on their credit card (which best buy pushes whenever you come in the store) meaning that Not only does best buy have the High Markup on the device, but also interest on the TV to easily cover the cost of the tab.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

As for the rest of this 'article', my position has always been that ......

..... that you have no legal expertise whatsoever.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Gruntle: 1. To utter a little or low grunt. Said of swine, occas. of other animals; rarely of persons.

2. To grumble, murmur, complain.

fromed from the verb `grunt

"Gruntled" as the opposite of disgruntled is merely a comical counterpoint, as disgruntled is a frequentative of grunt. (I should add: the 'dis' seems to be an intensifier here, not a reversal, as in disannul as opposed to disengage) First OED citation is from Wodehouse, if that is any indication.

Apple's online dictionary (the one you can access with a Control-click) does not acknowledge the word 'gruntle'.

The same dictionary DOES however, acknowledge 'gruntled' in this manner:

adjective humorous pleased, satisfied, and contented. ORIGIN 1930s: back-formation from disgruntled.

To be sure, it's origin is a comical counterpoint, but it is nevertheless a legitimate word.

Apple's built-in dictionary uses the Oxford American Dictionary, Wikipedia, and other sources.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    quevarquevar Posts: 101member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

"Disgruntled over the matter, Best Buy reportedly refused to pay for the remaining tablets"

Whenever I hear about someone who's disgruntled, I wonder why I never hear about anyone who's been gruntled. I'm not entirely kidding - 'gruntled' is a real word. But you never hear of anyone getting their gruntle on - only losing it.

Something must be done about this. I'm doing my part.

I was gruntled to find out that a quick three finger double tab revealed that gruntled means "please, satisfied, and contented".
  • Reply 37 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm on the side that's surprised that the now written-down HP tablets aren't in the promotion instead. They might get a considerable discount now that product is down for the count.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'm on the side that's surprised that the now written-down HP tablets aren't in the promotion instead. They might get a considerable discount now that product is down for the count.

Probably because you get a Samsung Tablet if you buy a Samsung TV. The article here doesn't mention that, but I think the offer only applies to certain Samsung 3D TV's.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:

Probably because you get a Samsung Tablet if you buy a Samsung TV. The article here doesn't mention that, but I think the offer only applies to certain Samsung 3D TV's.

Correct. And the offer is only good for the next week.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Most likely because Samsung worked out the promotion with Best buy. it's only for their higher end (more expensive) 3D TV's, and not just any TV.

if you want a free touchpad.. maybe they'll give you one when you get a printer?