Prototype next-gen iPhone parts show same screen size, design as iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Off topic, but that's not particularly smart, but I'm sure you've been told that by others.

That is a cliche that is generally true. Just not here. In 2005 I sold all of my vested Microsoft stock for AAPL. I sold a few others as well. My portfolio is all AAPL. It's been very good to me, and I've never been blind in each and every one of my decisions over the years to keep it. Very informed decisions, I might add.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebjesus View Post

... Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen? ....

Well, ahhh, it is bigger. IMO a lot of us 'bigger' crowd do not want 4.5 or 5 etc... thats just a red herring/straw man or whatever arguement.

At least for me, just saying a bit bigger... thats all. Yes 3.7 would be just fine.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooman625 View Post

a lot of people who are expecting a redesign will be VERY disappointed...

yes like me
  • Reply 64 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_peripheral View Post

I dont know exactly what is going to happen. They have kept the same design before, but with that they changed almost everything else about the phone, and it all mattered back then. Now, if they change the internals, the 4 is powerful enough to handle all the new iOS changes, so what's the point of upgrading? All I can say for sure is what's going to happen for myself. If they release a newly designed phone, I'm in. If they don't, I'm out. Thousands of people feel the same. Millions of dollars lost.

That's my place.

Yup.

People are kidding themselves if they think the current form factor can survive another fiscal year. The climate has changed considerably. WP7 w/ Nokia, Samsung Galaxy S 2 etc..

Apple knows that they have to offer a redesign in place of, or in addition to the ip4. Suggesting otherwise after 13+ months is silly.

Moreover, investors will be looking for an impressive release now that Jobs has stepped down.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen?

5.65"sq v. 6.32"sq. I find it hard that Apple would mess with the dimensions of the iPhone in that way unless it planned to continue with one new handset model per year and wanted 3.7" to be the new norm going forward. They'd still have to release a new SDK so apps can be optimized for the new display size, regardless of what happens to the resolution. Seems like a effort for a little gain. At this point I think it's more likely Apple would grow the iPhone brand by having a 3.5" and 4.x" option as two distinct models each year.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    Apple kept the 3G/3GS design around for two years / cycles. The Verizon (CDMA) model iPhone 4 has only been out since February and the white iPhone 4 is only 5 months old.

Given that Apple's "big bang" this fall is going to be iCloud, my guess is that the new iPhone 4S/5 is going to retain the same overall form factor with any changes happening under the hood. Case manufacturers need a break too
  • Reply 67 of 87
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

Yup.

People are kidding themselves if they think the current form factor can survive another fiscal year. The climate has changed considerably. WP7 w/ Nokia, Samsung Galaxy S 2 etc..

Apple knows that they have to offer a redesign in place of, or in addition to the ip4. Suggesting otherwise after 13+ months is silly.

They have to? You mean like they had to change the case design for the 3rd iPhone? The way they had to release an iPhone with a slide out keyboard? The way they had to put more buttons on the face of every iPhone? The way they had to release the first iPhone as '3G'? The way they had to increase the screen resolution on the 2nd and 3rd iPhone to compete? The way they had to recall all the iPhone 4s because of engineering design flaw of using an external antenna?

Lots of have tos over the years and yet Apple keeps on doing what Apple wants to do with great success.
  • Reply 68 of 87
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

No, iPod will be a bullet point in the iPhone event. iPhone is the biggest money maker for Apple. iPods, perhaps aside from touch, are sliding into a marginal territory as people transition to phones as iPods.

I doubt apple would be content just leaving the phone exactly the same, because the payoff on investment in new design is more than enough to cover the cost.

Apple has already gotten some major competitors out of business, only Android remains. With iOS 5 and iCloud it would only make sense to go all out and intro a new design as well to sweep the people off their feet and buy or return to the iPhone.

I don't see the iPod Touch ever becoming "marginal" because there are too many people (especially young people) that will use an iPod Touch and not an iPhone. I know I am not going to set up an iPhone plan with an accompanying $30 data (each) for my kids when an iPod Touch will serve them just fine.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

16:9 is useful for one thing and one thing only.

For a device used ONLY for viewing SOME movies.

For portrait mode, its completely unwieldy. In landscape, its like looking through a mailbox slot.

But by all means, I welcome Android makers going down that rathole.

Or you could think of it as a 3:2 screen with an additional area at the top or bottom for notifications/widgets/game controls etc.

Clever huh?
  • Reply 70 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dangcookie View Post

That is a cliche that is generally true. Just not here. In 2005 I sold all of my vested Microsoft stock for AAPL. I sold a few others as well. My portfolio is all AAPL. It's been very good to me, and I've never been blind in each and every one of my decisions over the years to keep it. Very informed decisions, I might add.

If you ENTIRE portfolio is Apple you are a FOOL. I don't care what stock you invest in...placing all your $$$ in one single stock is ridiculously unwise.
  • Reply 71 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post

if these reports are accurate that the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade featuring very similar hardware then i am really starting wonder what they are thinking.

because it will be almost a year and a half from the iPhone 4 release which in tech years is ancient history. they are seriously in danger of falling behind.

the competition has many phones with a 4+ inch display as well as 4g lte, significantly faster dual core 1.5 Ghz processors, you can stream your entire music library (no my syncing or downloading or worrying about filling up your storage), navigation, voice commands, customization, etc, etc.

don't be so dismissive about the competition. it certainly isn't perfect, but my god the features and hardware and choices that are available are amazing. and apple has only one phone which is looking pretty similar to the last phone.....

your well-agued, rational point of view will not be welcome here. sorry.
  • Reply 72 of 87
    Quote:

The reason the 3GS sold more was because the 3G was garbage. I actually consider the 3GS to be the first real upgrade for the iPhone. They changed almost everything about the phone for that upgrade.

The thing that nobody seems to get is that the iPhone 4 is so powerful, that a boost in power isn't gonna matter much to anybody. With the 3GS, the power was boosted in a way that people could actually really feel the difference because the 3G was so horrible and slow.

That's the difference.

And we saw what iOS 4 did to the 3GS. Mine ran like a dog compared to when it had iOS 3.xx installed. I wonder what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 4? I can only imagine what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 3GS...NO..I can imagine. I just need to recall my wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 4.xx.

We will see how powerful the iPhone 4 is when iOS 5.xx comes out.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    Quote:

I'm not gonna get into an argument about this, it's useless. All I know is what's true. If they change the design, I will buy one. If not, I won't. I know that there are thousands of people out there who feel the same way, especially people who don't care about internals. Think about all those people out there who will reject an iPhone 4S clone because it looks exactly like what they have, without even realizing it has better internals.

I sort-of agree with you in that if this is not an aesthetic re-design, I'm not buying unless it does a lot of things the iPhone 4 doesn't do. And this will be the first year I haven't upgraded. On the other hand, if I were the manufacturer of the best-selling phone in history, I doubt I would be making too many changes. And I don't remember a time when a relatively small number of loud complainers affected Apple's design plans.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    Quote:

Seems plenty of members here want a bigger screen with the same resolution of 960x640? Because iOS 5 beta 6 is out and there has been no information at all pertaining to higher resolution for iPod Touch/iPhone devices. And the developers that iOS (Apple) craves so much are right now updating their apps for 960x640 resolution. Seriously will 3.7" make that much of a difference from 3.5" to those of you who want a bigger screen?

Why not just get an iPad? I remember Steve saying the 5" - 7" devices were tweener devices that would fade in time. Doesn't sound like Steve thinks a bigger screen is needed for the iPod/iPhone line. That is what the iPad is for and I think the current iPhone is the perfect size for a mobile media player and phone. If I want something bigger for mobile use I'd get an iPad personally.

Why not get an iPad? Because it is not a iPhone ... so it's not a phone.

We are talking about a 4 inch display... not a 5 inch to 7 inch display. So your comment is pointless.

While I like iOS better than Android or Windows 7 Phone (still a nice OS) I cannot deny using a 4 inch or 4.3 inch screen is really a better experience. It is so much easier to use and read. Apple has the advantage of upgrading the screen size since they already have the greatest resolution. Anyone who keeps denying how much better a 4 inch screen really needs to USE such a phone instead of just posting what they THINK the experience will be like. I cannot stand naysayers who actually have not even experienced what they complain about.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

If you ENTIRE portfolio is Apple you are a FOOL. I don't care what stock you invest in...placing all your $$$ in one single stock is ridiculously unwise.

Surely that depends on what percentage of your net worth is allocated to your stock portfolio? If it's 75%, then sure it's very risky. If it's 10%, no big deal.
  • Reply 76 of 87
    Quote:

and buy stocks instead of options is even more ridiculous since options make you way more money with a fraction of risk
  • Reply 77 of 87
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Or you could think of it as a 3:2 screen with an additional area at the top or bottom for notifications/widgets/game controls etc.

Clever huh?

Not, really, no. It doesn't stop the device from being freakishly unwieldy.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They'd still have to release a new SDK so apps can be optimized for the new display size, regardless of what happens to the resolution. Seems like a effort for a little gain.

Apple can make a bigger screen WITHOUT increasing the resolution. The ppi will be slightly smaller but at 3.7", it'll still be retina display. As long as the resolution stays the same, app developers have nothing to change or worry about and Apple doesn't need to make any new SDK.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    zeromeuszeromeus Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Anyone who keeps denying how much better a 4 inch screen really needs to USE such a phone instead of just posting what they THINK the experience will be like. I cannot stand naysayers who actually have not even experienced what they complain about.

I HAVE a 4" Samsung Epic 4G and I HATE how big and bulky it is. The ONLY reason why I am using it is because Sprint doesn't have an iPhone. As soon as Sprint get the iphone, I'm jumping ship. If Sprint doesn't have the iPhone, I'll be changing carrier. AT&T has a good plan now that they're offering unlimited mobile to any mobile. I expect Verizon to do the same soon.
  • Reply 80 of 87
    Quote:

And we saw what iOS 4 did to the 3GS. Mine ran like a dog compared to when it had iOS 3.xx installed. I wonder what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 4? I can only imagine what iOS 5.xx will do to the iPhone 3GS...NO..I can imagine. I just need to recall my wife's iPhone 3G running iOS 4.xx.

We will see how powerful the iPhone 4 is when iOS 5.xx comes out.

The 3G was horrible. For the billionth time.

Are you not aware that people using iPhone 4's and 3GS's are testing out iOS5 already? And it's running fine?

Do some research before you make statements that have no basis in reality.