iCloud Communications drops trademark lawsuit; Apple in dispute over Chinese logo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

Apple Corps certainly did sue Apple Computers over the trademark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_C...Apple_Computer

They lost though. And Apple now owns that trademark.

Apple (the computer company) should lose this one for the same reason that Apple (the record company) lost their suit too.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Whenever Apple sues for logo trademark infringement, someone colours the Apple logo the same as the "infringer" to make it look closer. When was the last time apple used a red or green logo? Poor form.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rths_logo.html
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is not quite true. There were several lawsuits involved. For the first lawsuit, Apple Computer paid Apple Records $80, 000. Apple agreed to stay out of the music business. Years later, Apple added MIDI and a DOC sound chip to its Apple II Computers. Apple Records sued, and forced Apple Computers to remove the sound chip and not offer similar products. A couple of years later, Apple Computer added a sampled system sound named Chimes to the Mac OS. The sound was later renamed to sosumi (phonetically as ?so sue me?). Apple Records got about 20 Million from Apple Computer. In exchange, Apple Computer essential was allowed to develop computers that played or delivered content such as music, but agreed that it would not package, sell or distribute physical music materials (e.g. tapes or CDs). Most recently Apple Records sued Apple Computer over iTunes saying Apple Computer violated the prior agreement. Apple Records lost at trial, and a settlement was reached soon after that gave Apple Computer and Apple Records joint ownership of the trademarks to do whatever each pleased.

Personally, I think Apple Computer had crappy lawyers in the beginning. It should have never settled the first time around, which caused problems the other times. Apple Records' case was weak.

Thanks for the history lesson TBell!
  • Reply 24 of 48
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    That iCloud suit. The company that was suing saw how big the Apple Space Ship was gonna be and said "na, we love Steve and why make every one mad at us." So they felt bad and intimidated and therefor dropped the suit. Now they feel happy and are partying like its 1999.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    29922992 Posts: 202member
    Apple is simply going paranoid with this dispute over Chinese logo.

"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (Brothers Grimm) were using that bitten apple in their story, so they shall sue Apple now...

Really, it's plain stupid what Apple is doing now.

NO like!
  • Reply 26 of 48
    The key to the logo dispute is the fact the Food company registered it's local for Electronics and Computers.

Sorry, but they'll be losing that bit and restructuring their Trademark logo to not include that or be forced to redesign their entire logo.

That will be the end result.

How come? The Apple Logo is universally known in the Electronics Industry.

The Apple Corps lawsuit dealt with different industries and only became an issue when Apple entered, albeit indirectly, the Music Industry.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Guess we now know!

• Reply 28 of 48
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

Guess we now know!

Awesome!!
  • Reply 29 of 48
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Apple Records did sue Apple Computer, got a fancy settlement and kept Apple Inc out of anything related to music for nearly 20 years.

That said the Fangguo logo looks like LG could team up with Apple to take joint swipe at them too. I don't think a moron in a hurry would make the mistake though so Apple will probably lose this one.

That was the first thing I thought of. Sure looks like LG. I don't get anything Apple like from it at all. Everything I see with a little leaf reminds of of Apple Inc? I don't think so. Btw, this guy never heard of Apple? wtf
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Yes, not even close BUT since this is a food company registering the logo in industries that has nothing to do with their core business and stuffs I think Apple should be given a chance to pursue their case regardless. You'll never know.

A poor logo design if you asked me, terrible.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Yes, not even close BUT since this is a food company registering the logo in industries that has nothing to do with their core business and stuffs I think Apple should be given a chance to pursue their case regardless. You'll never know.

A poor logo design if you asked me, terrible.

Woolworth's is a food store here in Australia that Apple went after last year for their logo (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rths_logo.html)

Most Woolworths stores just sell typical grocery store items. However larger stores sell some electronics, including TVs, game consoles and probably even netbooks. Woolworths also recently became an MVNO and sells pre-paid mobile services and phones using their own name and logo. It wouldn't too too far fetched to think down the line they may put their logo on TVs and netbooks and start selling those in their store.

The guy has a valid point when he says "Zhao claims that he registered the logo under the broad range of categories just in case he ever met someone interested in manufacturing Fangguo computers." It does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that he may rebadge some cheap Chinese computers and sell them in his food stores. But no one is going to go into Fangguo and buy a computer under the impression that Apple computer had something to do with it simply because of that logo.

Just like no one buying a phone at Woolworths thinks they're getting an iPhone simply because of the Woolworths logo.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Unlike Star Jones, I'm not a lawyer, but Apple needs to leave the logo thing alone. I don't know the details, but did the Apple record label sue Apple Computer (Inc.) over their logo? If they didn't then why should Apple, Inc. sue these folks? Even if they did, leave it alone still. I'm sure if you did research there is a long history of various companies using some type of abstract apple shape as their logo. Leave it alone and move on, Apple. Plus, this company was doing business in China long before Apple, so they should have first come rights.

Apple Records did sue Apple twice over the logo and settlement was worked out both times in Apple Records favor.

I bet Apple would let this go if it wasn't for the two categories registered that Apple already does business in and the Chinese company doesn't.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

They lost though. And Apple now owns that trademark.

Apple (the computer company) should lose this one for the same reason that Apple (the record company) lost their suit too.

Sorry but Apple Record WON and a settlement was reached so now they both can use it.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    I'm a graphic artist, and I love my Apple products, but this suit is just stupid. No similarity at all!!!
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Guess we now know!

POST of THE WEEK
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gavers View Post

Woolworth's is a food store here in Australia that Apple went after last year for their logo (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...rths_logo.html)

Most Woolworths stores just sell typical grocery store items. However larger stores sell some electronics, including TVs, game consoles and probably even netbooks. Woolworths also recently became an MVNO and sells pre-paid mobile services and phones using their own name and logo. It wouldn't too too far fetched to think down the line they may put their logo on TVs and netbooks and start selling those in their store.

The guy has a valid point when he says "Zhao claims that he registered the logo under the broad range of categories just in case he ever met someone interested in manufacturing Fangguo computers." It does not seem out of the realm of possibilities that he may rebadge some cheap Chinese computers and sell them in his food stores. But no one is going to go into Fangguo and buy a computer under the impression that Apple computer had something to do with it simply because of that logo.

Just like no one buying a phone at Woolworths thinks they're getting an iPhone simply because of the Woolworths logo.

What happened to the Woolworths claim by Apple? I assume nothing much since Woolworths is continuing as usual. It's a nice new logo, I just came back to Aust. after five years away. And personally, yeah, I dont think it will be confused with the Apple logo even if Woolworths makes their own phone.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Guess we now know!

You stole my post.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Looks like Apple paid them to quietly go away. Since it appears they were using the name they did have a case, but since they didn't defend the trademark against the previous owners for whom Apple bought it from there case would have been severely hindered, IMO. I'd say it was a pretty low amount.

2) I don't think Apple has a strong case against this Chinese logo.

The date the logo was created is interesting though, just as Apple Computer Inc. was becoming well know. I wonder what the company sold back when they commissioned the logo. If it were computer related you have to suspect they were influenced if not then I'd agree it is a design coincidence. I remember designing many logos for my computer company back in 1979 and submitting them to Apple for approval, nothing remotely similar, including a leaf like that was allowed.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

That was the first thing I thought of. Sure looks like LG. I don't get anything Apple like from it at all. Everything I see with a little leaf reminds of of Apple Inc? I don't think so. Btw, this guy never heard of Apple? wtf

If that logo was indeed created in 1980 then LG would be the one in the hot seat I have doubts about the 1980 claim though, that design is very far from anything anyone would have thought up back them I suspect.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leesmith View Post

But it's not nil (to an average or less than average consumer). They really don't have to move the leaf, just don't try to register the trademark in Apple's line of business.

Why should they?