iPhone 4 sales 'surprisingly robust' ahead of Apple's iPhone 5 debut

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Not everybody is salivating at picture of the sushi plate.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abracadabra View Post

Not everybody is salivating at picture of the sushi plate.

That's not even in this thread?

So go live that life. We're currently taking time out of our lives to discuss new technology.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    ...keeping previous generation hardware on as the "cheap" phone gives the model a longer lifespan in the minds of consumers - as long as they're still selling it, it's still relevant. As long as the previous models don't disappear when the new one arrives This is the way apple can now avoid dips in sales prior to a new launch as seen with the way the 3GS has kept up.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

the iphone 4 really was a big upgrade. Razor sharp display, classy physical design, front-facing camera, fast processor, etc.

14 months later, i'm still pretty happy with mine of course i'm looking forward to ios 5 breathing some new life into the os - but overall, it was a fantastic upgrade that still holds up.

Of course, when i see the iphone 5, i'll be wanting to throw my iphone 4 in the trash :d

lol!!! Wait wait lol!!!
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Wow. How's the view from up there on that high horse?

People are perfectly informed, but they don't put as much gravity in having the latest-and-greatest as tech geeks do. It just doesn't matter. They have other things to do in life and don't care if it's iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 or whatever. It just doesn't matter. If they like what they see in an ad, then that's what they want. My wife wants an iPhone 4 (after nearly 2 years of suffering with a Droid Eris) and I'm the one holding her back. She was vaguely aware of the iPhone 5 coming but doesn't care.

See, outside the geek-o-sphere, people aren't that concerned about specs and what's coming around the corner with any given gadget. It's important to techies, but nobody else. It's not a matter of being uninformed, but a matter of priorities. For example, I don't much care about cars. You could tell me Honda is going to have a new model of car out 3 months from now, but if I want a new car, I'm buying the one I like today. Who would wait?

Exactly.

Today, somebody bought an LG Ally from Verizon... even though the brand-new Droid Bionic is sitting on the next shelf.

Some people just don't care for the "latest n' greatest" they just want a phone.

And even the LG Ally is better than their old phone.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
  • Reply 27 of 42
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Anyone know what this is?

http://oami.europa.eu/bulletin/rcd/2...8_1_source.jpg

Looks like a Samsung.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:

Looks like a 4th gen iPod touch.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What answer are you looking for on that blurry image? The Loch Ness Monster's prototype iPhone?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Wow. How's the view from up there on that high horse?

People are perfectly informed, but they don't put as much gravity in having the latest-and-greatest as tech geeks do. It just doesn't matter. They have other things to do in life and don't care if it's iPhone 4 or iPhone 5 or whatever. It just doesn't matter. If they like what they see in an ad, then that's what they want. My wife wants an iPhone 4 (after nearly 2 years of suffering with a Droid Eris) and I'm the one holding her back. She was vaguely aware of the iPhone 5 coming but doesn't care.

See, outside the geek-o-sphere, people aren't that concerned about specs and what's coming around the corner with any given gadget. It's important to techies, but nobody else. It's not a matter of being uninformed, but a matter of priorities. For example, I don't much care about cars. You could tell me Honda is going to have a new model of car out 3 months from now, but if I want a new car, I'm buying the one I like today. Who would wait?

You're describing a distinction without a difference, and the only thing keeping you off that horse is a minor variation in tone (indifference over ignorance, without admitting the former proceeds from the latter).

Not caring about new models is the functional equivalent of not knowing about new models, since people don't generally seek information about topics which they don't care about. We can ascribe not caring to having other priorities or being unknowlegable about the consumer electronics industry, but it amounts to the same thing.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You're describing a distinction without a difference, and the only thing keeping you off that horse is a minor variation in tone (indifference over ignorance, without admitting the former proceeds from the latter).

Not caring about new models is the functional equivalent of not knowing about new models, since people don't generally seek information about topics which they don't care about. We can ascribe not caring to having other priorities or being unknowlegable about the consumer electronics industry, but it amounts to the same thing.

So what? Split all the hairs you want. I'm simply taking issue with the implied (or maybe not so implied) belief that people who don't know/care about the upcoming iteration of some tech gadget are somehow stupid or inferior. I don't believe that to be the case, but rather a result of different priorities in life.

And I don't understand how not assuming people are idiots because they don't share my priorities puts me near the high horse. I suspect you don't either.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:

So what? Split all the hairs you want. I'm simply taking issue with the implied (or maybe not so implied) belief that people who don't know/care about the upcoming iteration of some tech gadget are somehow stupid or inferior. I don't believe that to be the case, but rather a result of different priorities in life.

And I don't understand how not assuming people are idiots because they don't share my priorities puts me near the high horse. I suspect you don't either.

Except that of course the post you were responding to never said people who are indifferent to release schedules of CE products are idiots, stupid or inferior, merely that they were clueless and uniformed about, well, release schedules. Which, given said indifference (as you yourself noted) should come as no surprise. I'm clueless and uninformed on all kinds of things I don't care about, and intend to remain that way. On account of the not caring.

Is it smart to pay attention to when a new product is likely to be coming out? It all depends. It depends on how mature the product is-- that is, if a new model is likely to address actual shortcomings that the average user would notice. It depends on if the buyer cares-- I've know people to kick themselves for buying a little too soon, even though they ostensibly just wanted something to use right away. After all, new shiny fever is hardly limited to tech geek circles. It depends on if the buyer cares about resell value, or some functionality that they may have heard tell about without being entirely clear on what that entails or requires.

Myself, I think most folks do just fine buying what they like when they want to, but agree that by definition most folks don't have the enthusiasts focus on inside info-- but that they might often do a little better with their purchase if they asked around.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Except that of course the post you were responding to never said people who are indifferent to release schedules of CE products are idiots, stupid or inferior, merely that they were clueless and uniformed about, well, release schedules.

Words like "clueless" and "uninformed" carry a negative connotation. You're trying to equivocate by claiming they're synonymous with "unaware" which we both know is silly. If your boss had to indicate on your performance review that you didn't know something, would you be happy if he used a word like "clueless" instead of "unaware"? Doubtful.

Regardless, the original post was clearly a slam on people for not knowing or caring about upcoming tech gadgets which is, IMO, ridiculous and arrogant-sounding.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    I can tell you why my local VZW store sells so many. My niece just bought one and when she asked the clerk when the iPhone 5 will be out he told her at least a year. Either he has some major insider information that no technology sites have or he just lied to sell a phone and make commission. I talked her into returning it an surviving with her old phone until the iPhone 5 comes out. I am going to believe the sites that are usually spot on.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CHRIS42060 View Post

I can tell you why my local VZW store sells so many. My niece just bought one and when she asked the clerk when the iPhone 5 will be out he told her at least a year. Either he has some major insider information that no technology sites have or he just lied to sell a phone and make commission.

He's a Verizon salesman. He absolutely lied. Pure and simple. He can't possibly know the truth, so he lied instead of saying, "I don't know." He should be fired for it.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He's a Verizon salesman. He absolutely lied. Pure and simple. He can't possibly know the truth, so he lied instead of saying, "I don't know." He should be fired for it.

The same applies to AT&T salesmen, Orange salesmen, Sprint salesmen, Chevrolet salesmen, mortgage salesmen (brokers), etc...

Singling this one out as a "Verizon" salesman (while that IS true) is hardly necessary.

"Buyer beware" has been the rule of the consumer for all of history!
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

The same applies to AT&T salesmen, Orange salesmen, Sprint salesmen, Chevrolet salesmen, mortgage salesmen (brokers), etc...

Singling this one out as a "Verizon" salesman (while that IS true) is hardly necessary.

"Buyer beware" has been the rule of the consumer for all of history!

Sorry, yeah, should've just said salesman.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

This
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:

Bigfoot?
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Words like "clueless" and "uninformed" carry a negative connotation. You're trying to equivocate by claiming they're synonymous with "unaware" which we both know is silly. If your boss had to indicate on your performance review that you didn't know something, would you be happy if he used a word like "clueless" instead of "unaware"? Doubtful.

Context. If my boss calls me clueless, it's either a general observation or a complaint about something I'm paid to know. If I say "the average consumer is clueless regarding the inner workings of their computer" it's simply a reasonable observation. I find your analogy silly even if you don't (since I wouldn't be so arrogant as to pretend you didn't offer it seriously).

Quote:

Regardless, the original post was clearly a slam on people for not knowing or caring about upcoming tech gadgets which is, IMO, ridiculous and arrogant-sounding.

Right, I get that's your idea; I disagree.