Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Comments

• Reply 41 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

One of the thinnest ...

But new iPhones have invariably been the thinnest upon their release. Are they going to break that trend?

They're going to have to eventually, because eventually someone is going to design a phone that is thin for the sake of being thin, and gives up functionality as a result. Hopefully Apple will be wise enough not to take the bait.
  • Reply 42 of 179
    By the way this discussion is so focused on the look, don't forget this rumor also includes 512 MB of RAM only, which to me is further evidence that this is just the iPhone 4S, not the 5.
  • Reply 43 of 179
    Geez, it took them 16 months to fix the antena problem and come up with iPhone 4.1!

In the mean time I'll be picking up this Friday the Sprint Galaxy S 2:

4.52" Super AMOLED Plus display

Ultra-thin (9.59mm) design

Samsung Exynos 1.2GHz dual-core processor

1 GB RAM

16-32 GB flash memory

microSD, up to 32GB

1800 mAh battery

Wimax 4G radio

Media Hub

8MP rear camera and 2MP front camera, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, image stabilization

Social Hub

1080p HD video recording

Samsung Kies Air

Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, DLNA, Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot

Wifi calling

NOVA 2 HD pre-loaded

Swype pre-loaded

AES-256 internal/external hardware encryption

Bluetooth 3.0

Stereo FM radio with RDS

Sprint ID

Polaris Office

NFC

Hotspot controls up to eight devices

Optional USB Host kit for connection keyboards, cameras, printers and thumb drives

Optional HDMI adapter

Android 2.3 upgradable to 4.0
  • Reply 44 of 179
    Only 512MB, that is disappointing.
  • Reply 45 of 179
    I am one of those people who will be getting iphone x no matter what come october.

HOWEVER, IF next iteration of iphone bears same resemblance as its predecessor, I will hunt down hard on used iphone 4 to buy for no contract.

I am not so sure if there won't be TON of people who will be taking that route(unless they already have iphone 4 which at that point, just stay w/ it).

This is my position.
  • Reply 46 of 179
    Whatever! I'm still getting the iphone 5. I have become that type of consumer that will wait a year to upgrade his phone. I phone 4 16 gig that I have is in pristine condition!!! I can get about $375.00 for it.
  • Reply 47 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AceCenturion View Post

Quit being complicated

I know what he means though. The home button on my 3GS has started to play up after 2 years use.

A touch sensitive home button would certainly remove that issue.

As well as accidentally triggering the button when you brush over it during normal use.
  • Reply 48 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Geez, it took them 16 months to fix the antena problem and come up with iPhone 4.1!

In the mean time I'll be picking up this Friday the Sprint Glalaxy S 2:

That's a nice spec but won't the battery on this thing struggle to last a day?
  • Reply 49 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

I will say this.... If I walk into the Verizon store and there is an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S... That salesman will need a load of training to keep me from taking the $99 iPhone 4. Side by side, why spend the extra money? They are both beautiful - they both have ios5... Well the 5 has dual core! Selling on specs has always flown in the face of the Apple way.

You know, this is a really excellent point. Not that I'm an authority on excellent points. I've got an iphone4 and that's why I never considered it. Following the chain of logic, though...what does that mean for what's coming out? There wouldn't be a mere $100 difference between the two, I imagine. So the remaining option is a completely new iphone? Who knows. Seems they've done a better job this year with keeping things secret.
  • Reply 50 of 179
    If the reviews are good, it'll be a decent upgrade from my 3GS. They're a lot of us 3GS people out there ready to use our subsidy.
  • Reply 51 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

They're going to have to eventually, because eventually someone is going to design a phone that is thin for the sake of being thin, and gives up functionality as a result. Hopefully Apple will be wise enough not to take the bait.

FWIW, both the Infuse and Galaxy SII are thinner than the iPhone 4, and did not give up any functionality.
  • Reply 52 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Really? Why is a touch home button so important?

Because there is a MUCH lower chance of a touch button failing over time versus a mechanical button.
  • Reply 53 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

FWIW, both the Infuse and Galaxy SII are thinner than the iPhone 4, and did not give up any functionality.

Well, battery life was sacrificed by definition. And from all indications, the battery life of even the best Android phones is like 75-80% of the iPhone's. And that's functionality. But I was talking about the future. Surely you agree that there is a point where you need thickness to make things happen, right? If someone came out with a phone half the thickness of the iPhone, but it only had a 2 MP camera, only had a 3 hour battery, and was brittle as a dry leaf, you'd agree that Apple should not try to make a thinner phone. RIIIIGHT?
  • Reply 54 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,556member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

That's a nice spec but won't the battery on this thing struggle to last a day?

Nearly all reviews that have tested claim better battery life than the iPhone4. The Samsung battery is definitely has more capacity. The battery doesn't seem to be a concern unless using primarily with 4G rather than 3G.

http://www.androidauthority.com/ipho...axy-sii-10109/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/28/s...y-s-ii-review/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/3853...ung-galaxy-s-2
  • Reply 55 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think they have already. Look at the camera in iPod Touch. They wouldn't put the iPhone 4 sensor in it because it would have made iPT thicker (perhaps not the only reason).
  • Reply 56 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Because there is a MUCH lower chance of a touch button failing over time versus a mechanical button.

I dunno - I HATE the lack of a physical button when I set up an Android phone for clients. It just seems like it is not as responsive. Of course that could be just the general Android sluggishness. I'd definitely want some shape to the button, to help with the ability to operate the phone without looking at it.
  • Reply 57 of 179
    I also will not upgrade unless there is a significant change (that I like) in the phone's design. If this does turn out to be nothing more than the equivalent of the upgrade from the 3 to the 3GS I will just wait another year...
  • Reply 58 of 179
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

My impression is that if the iPhone 5 looks exactly like the 4.... They may be building too many of them. There will be many disappointed fence-sitters.

Only the immature and self asorbed give a hoot about the iPhones looks. Sales would be impacted one bit because what is insides is what sells iPhone. Given that the analyst here could very well be talking about a lower cost iPhone 4. No body knows what Apple has up it's sleeves.
  • Reply 59 of 179
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    It's funny, when the rumours that the iPhone 5 would be a complete redesign first appeared there was a near unanimous outcry that it's too soon to revise the design and the next phone would be an "iPhone 4S." I guess the release date being a few months later changed that? We're now all hankering for something new?
  • Reply 60 of 179
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

They do that by being lumpy and then measuring at the thinnest point. Both the SII and the Infuse 4G have lumps for the camera and at the bottom of the phone. They're not huge but they're probably on par with the thickness of the iPhone 4 in those areas. Presumably that's what the rumoured "tear drop" design of the iPhone 5 is about: it's as thick as the camera needs to be at the top but tapers at the bottom.