Apple's iPhone 5 expected to 'steamroll' RIM's BlackBerry 7 phones

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What a pointless news story. I notice you didn't bother to add anything about Android 'steamrolling' iOS, as it will inevitably continue to do.

Yawn. I has such tiredness of this!
  • Reply 82 of 95
    Steamroll? At least the Blackberry will finally be thin...
  • Reply 83 of 95
    Whoever suggested MS buy RIM - now *that* made me laugh out loud. A marriage made in (bureaucratic, automaton) hell!
  • Reply 84 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

What a pointless news story. I notice you didn't bother to add anything about Android 'steamrolling' iOS, as it will inevitably continue to do.

Android is not a phone. Which phone is going to "steamroll" the iPhone 5?

The HTC TooBigToFitInYoPocket? The Motorola Droid Orgasmic? The Sony Ericsson PS Vitamin? The Samsung Galaxy iClone?
  • Reply 85 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

RIM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. They are still heavy in the enterprise market. Maybe they spin off their consumer market.

The concept of an "enterprise" market with distinct products is greatly diminishing, especially in the smartphone and tablet categories. People want a single phone to do lots of things really well. RIM's do one thing, and not much better than others now. Its collapse will only accelerate.
  • Reply 86 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

A company makes $300m in profit in 3 months and it's "failing"?

Yes, because same company made almost $700 million during the 3 months before. Watch next quarter...

The only good thing for RIM is that math is on their side because any number divided in half never reaches zero. /sarcasm
  • Reply 87 of 95
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Whoever suggested MS buy RIM - now *that* made me laugh out loud. A marriage made in (bureaucratic, automaton) hell!

I said it would be a good fit, I didn't say it would be pretty.
  • Reply 88 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

As a Canadian I feel sad about this. It seems like it's been a never ending stream of great companies - Corel, ATI, Nortel, and now RIM that reach a certain level of success and then get gobbled up by the American behemoths down south.

Perhaps they need to learn from others mistake, don't you think? Change the mindset perhaps, like by not being too kind, eh
  • Reply 89 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Every Canadian feels sad about how the US constantly dominates us in the business markets (even though we are in far better shape economically) but your list is incorrect.

You are blending four companies on a list that all had different reasons for their demise.

Corel was most certainly "gobbled up" by the US and destroyed by the tactics of companies like Adobe, but their product was substandard at best. The only reason to keep it around was the whole anti-competition thing (which seems like it would have been a great move in hindsight, since Adobe now rules all). The fact is however, that Capitalism has no real mechanisms for "fair" competition built in to it, and that this is just the way of the world today. ATI was the victim of similar anti-competitive behaviour and mergers as well.

Nortel's huge market value was acquired almost exclusively through the same process of mergers and dubious behaviour that sunk Corel and ATI, but this time, Nortel was the one taking the smaller companies to the cleaners and absorbing them. Nortel ultimately failed, but primarily because of internal corruption and it had nothing to do with the USA.

RIM's failure is the least controversial and most obvious of all. They simply failed to adapt to a changing market by producing a competing product. They ignored all warnings to that effect until it was too late, then they finally came up with products that were just not that good. There is nothing underhanded about this at all.

So while there *is* a lot of anti-competitive head-butting and absorbing of other companies going on, it happens on both sides of the border and doesn't really explain the demise of RIM at all.

Corel is still around, HQ in Ottawa with about a thousand employees worldwide. They still sell CorelDRAW suite - big in a few verticals like sign-making - along with several decent, low-cost photo and video editing products on the PC side, as well as Painter - pro-level natural media application for Mac and PC. They're not hugely successful, but profitable.
  • Reply 90 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by handbagsca View Post

I like playing games very much.It's makes me exciting

Really? I like cows.

That is all.

Just kidding, buddy. RIM are collapsing because they are conceptually bankrupt. No fresh ideas in the pipeline and a market that is moving on without them.

I had a couple of BBs and I noticed the difference in the software usability between versions of the Curve. However it is all relative as the end result was that while it was still a nice jump forward, it was still like pulling teeth compared to using iOS.
  • Reply 91 of 95
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

1. I don't think it is clear that Android sales have even equaled iOS sales yet: http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/2...-market-share/

2. from what dark hole of misinformation did you pull the Apple's cash reserves are falling ? http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...g_balance.html http://www.mactrast.com/2011/09/appl...e-end-of-2012/

Uhhh some sarcasm here????
  • Reply 92 of 95
    RIM has something that corporations want.........email security. Unfortunately they have fallen behind the curve in their hardware innovation as well as their software innovation.

Just another example of a company with a nice product resting on its laurels. And when that happens the company goes to hell. Hopefully Apple never becomes like that.
  • Reply 93 of 95
    Quote:

As a Canadian I feel sad about this. It seems like it's been a never ending stream of great companies - Corel, ATI, Nortel, and now RIM that reach a certain level of success and then get gobbled up by the American behemoths down south.

I use an iPhone at work, mostly because our President wanted one and I had to support it - but 99% of our users run Blackberry's. I honestly think Blackberry's are a better product in the corporate world, but as we all know Apple is the media darling so gets all the headlines and therefore mindshare.

I admire Corel, ATI, Matrox and Nortel for what they have done. Corel was a staple DTP software that virtually defined that genre. ATI produced some great GPUs. Matrox was the first real "consumer/prosumer" video editing card that brought NLE to the masses in a huge way. I loved my Matrox Rainbow Runner and actually won a video competition with it... and it kick started my web development career posting little videos converted to Realplayer format for a fairly obscure website.

I'm not too sure about what happened exactly to all those companies.

In the case of RIM however, it's self-inflicted for the most part. Apple is not always the media darling. The negative coverage about iPhone4's "antennagate" could have singlehandedly sunk Apple and given competitors a huge advantage. But Apple came out just a few weeks later and presented their case, with Steve Jobs apologising publicly. What has RIM done about the PlayBook fiasco? Nothing but incoherent gibberish.
  • Reply 94 of 95
    Quote:

I use an iPhone at work, mostly because our President wanted one and I had to support it - but 99% of our users run Blackberry's. I honestly think Blackberry's are a better product in the corporate world, but as we all know Apple is the media darling so gets all the headlines and therefore mindshare.

For now. Apple has the consumer demanding the iPhone at work. That's what happened. RIMM is terrible when compared to Apple. I see my friends struggling to keep their devices powered for more than a couple of hours with the type of heavy use that the people need. I just think that something that can't even stay powered at crucial times isn't necessarily better and most of the things RIMM had over iPhone will be in iOS 5.
  • Reply 95 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

For now. Apple has the consumer demanding the iPhone at work. That's what happened. RIMM is terrible when compared to Apple. I see my friends struggling to keep their devices powered for more than a couple of hours with the type of heavy use that the people need. I just think that something that can't even stay powered at crucial times isn't necessarily better and most of the things RIMM had over iPhone will be in iOS 5.

RIMM has many problems. And I'd say their battery technology is not as good as Apple's. But it is simply not true in general that they phones cannot stay powered crucial times.

When a company is not doing well and their products are not as good as the best out there, it's fair to criticize. But it just seems like everyone here wants to beat them on RIM from every possible angle. I'm sure we will soon hear that people are jumping to their deaths in RIM factories. Oh wait, that's not RIM. So every company has some issues?