Google upped its bid for Motorola by $3B in one day to close deal

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    In case some of you didn't look at Florian Mueller's article, a quick point by point breakdown:

Quote:

These four threats against Android secured Motorola Mobility a $12.5 billion offer from Google

1.) MMI would have taken a royalty-bearing patent license from Microsoft, and possibly also settled with Apple.

2.) MMI would have revisited its exclusive focus on Android and possibly adopted Windows Phone.

3.) MMI would have attacked other Android device makers with its patents to make their products more expensive.

4.) MMI would have conducted a public or private auction of the entire company or large parts of its patent portfolio

Mueller definitely has an anti Google bias, but I tend to agree with him on his pieces. Like one M&A person put it, (I'm paraphrasing him) "Google bought MMI in a month, that's not enough time to set up meetings, and they rushed in and bought MMI."

I think MMI's purchase was poorly done, and honestly, think the buyout is a testament to Sanjay's mad skills at selling the company to them.

Page has been dying to get into telecom, and not just making a mobile OS. And I think Page's ego is too damn big to make rational decisions.

(For what it's worth, I've owned a half dozen Android OS'd phones and have a haxxored to death nook color, IMHO, Android's OS is the deal of the decade, you just can't beat free Google Apps, although I'm dumping Android and going all iOS in the next few months, I'm just tired of constantly tweaking my damn phone...)
  • Reply 62 of 68
    I'm surprised they didn't bid Pi billion to secure the deal.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Stay strong, Gatorguy. FWIW I still love ya.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a couple of distinct groups here. I've seen complaints about Apple products and/or services fairly often from the group that seems most current, knowledgeable and courteous . Agreed that there's a very small but vocal element that seems incapable of finding a single flaw with Apple or it's products, and even one or two that are here only to post anti-Google info, adding little if anything to the discussions. But claiming that Apple criticism doesn't exist here really isn't fair.

If the odd posters with nothing better to do than post inflammatory anti-Apple (or anti Steve Jobs) junk were less plentiful, the knowledgeable regulars might be more apt to write more honest appraisals. As is I don't fault them for keeping ammunition out of the hands of those that have no idea what it's used for.

FWIW I've found several diehard Apple fanatics here that can also see issues and problems and are willing to write about them. Treat them courteously, avoid personal attacks and accusations, and you're treated fairly in return IMO, even when being critical.

• Reply 64 of 68
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

the anti-Google/Android/Anything non Apple on Apple sites is stronger than the anti-Apple on anything non Apple sites...well at least Google and Android as I'm not sure how Microsoft fanboys are or if they truly exist in such a capacity.

Ah, no it's not. Read the commentary on articles on Ars, Engadget, etc, the anti-Apple sentiment is much more evident. Even the pro-Apple people here tend to be fairly even-handed, and there's only a handful of people who are ott.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

There's a couple of distinct groups here. I've seen complaints about Apple products and/or services fairly often from the group that seems most current, knowledgeable and courteous . Agreed that there's a very small but vocal element that seems incapable of finding a single flaw with Apple or it's products, and even one or two that are here only to post anti-Google info, adding little if anything to the discussions. But claiming that Apple criticism doesn't exist here really isn't fair.

If the odd posters with nothing better to do than post inflammatory anti-Apple (or anti Steve Jobs) junk were less plentiful, the knowledgeable regulars might be more apt to write more honest appraisals. As is I don't fault them for keeping ammunition out of the hands of those that have no idea what it's used for.

FWIW I've found several diehard Apple fanatics here that can also see issues and problems and are willing to write about them. Treat them courteously, avoid personal attacks and accusations, and you're treated fairly in return IMO, even when being critical.

maybe I've been reading the wrong articles. but I haven't seen anyone question apple.

I do often wonder when everyone began hating Google passionately. Almost as if they hate them because of competing companies. -_-

I will say I find the company here much more pleasant than some Android sites or tech blogs even if I disagree with a majority of the posters. the maturity level seems higher (and based on posts the userbase is older).

but still. the near worship of Apple is creepy.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

but still. the near worship of Apple is creepy.

What's creepy is your constant posting of comments like this. Check out the blogs title and try to absorb the implications therein. Perhaps you are in the wrong blog?
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

What's creepy is your constant posting of comments like this. Check out the blogs title and try to absorb the implications therein. Perhaps you are in the wrong blog?

ohhhhhh so AppleInsider is another word for Apple deification and irrational fanboism on behalf of some (not all) members. Gotcha...didn't know that...thanks dude...

What is implied by the title of the blog is simply information about Apple and other tech companies directly or indirectly related to Apple...the implications of the title in no way imply worship or irrational fanboism....I believe if I was on cultofmac your point would hold weight...but right now...no....none...no weight.
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Google it is in big trouble