Apple unveils iPhone 4S with A5 CPU and 4G-like data speeds

Comments

• Reply 81 of 641
    I was hoping for a 5. Oh well. As long as iOS5 and all the features work on my 4 I'm not upgrading until next year.
  • Reply 82 of 641
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Looks like Steve got going while the going was good.

No new iPhone after a year and a half. WTF?

It IS a new phone. Virtually everything in the phone is new except for the case and screen.

Funny how if Apple focuses on outside appearances, you are the first to claim that people who buy Apple products are shallow and only concerned about appearances. But if Apple completely redesigns the product and improves almost everything except the external appearance, you're STILL complaining.
  • Reply 83 of 641
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by storneo View Post

I've been saying the knew iPhone would be a 4s for almost a year! People thought I was crazy. Now who's crazy?!

Both you AND Apple, 18 months for a better camera, what a waste.
  • Reply 84 of 641
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

This phone is obsolete on arrival.

8 mpx, face recognition, voice command, notifications, "4G-like"?

Wow. All of these was available on HTC EVO 4G 1.5 years ago

That thing is a battery hog....returned after 3 days.
  • Reply 85 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperTomcat View Post

Nexus Prime is coming... now is the moment of the SuperPhone...

Remember the Nexus One? How many did they sell? Two??
  • Reply 86 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

What a let down. Did they really need a big announcement for this???

I love Apple but I'm not blindly in love with them like some of the people here that are getting offended people are disappointed. The iPhone 4 has been out a long time for a smart phone. A boost in speed and better camera??? What a bummer. Sorry Apple, but I'm not biting on this one. I really wanted a bigger screen...even if it was just a little bigger.

Bigger screen means either blurrier images (which is unacceptable) or re-writing every App to take advantage of the size, or resizing like iPhone Apps do on the iPad.

None of those are acceptable choices right now.
  • Reply 87 of 641
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Investors not impressed w iPhone 4S-

Dumping AAPL stock!
  • Reply 88 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saintstryfe View Post

I don't get why people are upset about the screen - Bigger screens either mean less pixel density or bigger resolution. Apps are not going to be rewritten for this yet.

Apple made the right call, if it is a little deflating after some of the lead up predictions. But that's all they were.

I'll be replacing my 3gs with iPhone 4s next Friday, and that makes me quite happy.

I agree. Sure, people were hoping for a bigger screen but does that really improve the phone. Really. Not in my opinion... a bigger screen does not improve the experience for me. Improved reliability and improved performance... that's all I wanted.
  • Reply 89 of 641
    Not Apple's finest moment.

Stock is tanking.
  • Reply 90 of 641
    Q: Is Siri only on the iP4s, or is it attached to iOS 5?
  • Reply 91 of 641
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    I for one welcome our new iPhone overlords.

What's with calling it "iPhone 4S" though? Perfect way to showcase the great new features by reminding everyone it looks exactly the same as last year's model.
  • Reply 92 of 641
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    duplicated.
  • Reply 93 of 641
    What is possibly good about a "world phone" as long as the phone is forever locked to a single carrier, even after contract? I guess if you have Verizon and go to europe, verizon could contract with another carrier to provide you with exorbitantly expensive coverage there. It seems to me the only thing good about this is that is simplifies Apple's manufacturing. This is not much of a feature IMHO unless they sell unlocked versions or will unlock after contract.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's newest smartphone, the iPhone 4S, is a world phone powered by the company's speedy A5 processor, and features a new antenna design that can allow file transfers up to twice as fast as its predecessor, as well as voice recognition functionality for a new handsfree experience.

The new iPhone 4S is a "world phone," meaning it is compatible with both CDMA and GSM networks. Apple will not need to build two different models to be compatible with different carriers like AT&T and Verizon in the U.S., and Sprint has also been officially added as a carrier partner.

Apple has also expanded the iPhone lineup with a new 64GB model on the high-end, selling for $399 with a service contract. The 32GB and 16GB models remain priced at $299 and $199, respectively.

"iPhone 4S plus iOS 5 plus iCloud is a breakthrough combination that makes the iPhone 4S the best iPhone ever," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "While our competitors try to imitate iPhone with a checklist of features, only iPhone can deliver these breakthrough innovations that work seamlessly together."

One of the main selling points of the iPhone 4S is the inclusion of Siri, personal assistant software that Apple purchased last year. With Siri, natural language can be used to access information or accomplish tasks.

In one example shown at Tuesday's keynote, the query "What's the weather like today?" led to a forecast being provided via the iPhone. The Siri functionality is built into iOS 5 on the new iPhone 4S.

Apple said Siri is also smart about using the personal information users allow it to access. For example, telling Siri ?Remind me to call Mom when I get home? it can find ?Mom? in an address book, or ask Siri ?What?s the traffic like around here?? and it can figure out where ?here? is based on the current location.

Siri helps make calls, send text messages or email, schedule meetings and reminders, make notes, search the Internet, find local businesses, get directions and more. Users can also get answers, find facts and even perform complex calculations just by asking.

The new iPhone 4S will launch in the U.S., Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Germany and Japan on Oct. 14. It will be the fastest iPhone roll-out Apple has ever had.

A more exhaustive list of features of the new handset is included below:

The A5 is a dual-core chip that allows CPU speeds up to twice as fast as the iPhone 4

It also features dual-core graphics processing that is up to seven times faster

The iPhone 4S has increased battery life up to 8 hours.

A new wireless system in the iPhone 4S allows the handset to intelligently switch between two antennas to send and receive data, improving call quality.

With its new system, Apple says the iPhone 4S achieves maximum theoretical download speeds of 14.4Mbps.

Apple said these speeds are competitive with current 4G networks.

The iPhone 4S also sports an 8-megapixel sensor for improved picture taking.

A new illuminated sensor gets 73 percent more light than the one found in the iPhone 4, and does it a third faster.

A high-end IR filter allows for greater accuracy and uniformity, while the handset also offers industry-leading quickness in snapping a photo.

The new camera will also shoot full-high-definition 1080p video, and will feature real-time video image stabilization and temporal noise reduction.

In one demo, Apple exec Scott Forstall asked the iPhone 4S to find a Greek restaurant in Palo Alto, Calif. The built-in Siri software returned a list of five restaurants sorted by rating.

Siri can also read information to users. In one example, the software read a list of notifications from the iPhone 4S.

The Siri system can also be utilized to make calendar appointments. It will even check if a user's schedule is free when setting up an appointment, and notify them of potential conflicts.

Information from Wikipedia and Wolfram Alpha can also be accessed through voice commands in Siri.

In another demonstration, Forstall asked Siri how long until Christmas. The "personal assistant" software responded: "82 days."

Siri also does dictation, as a microphone icon will appear anytime there is a keyboard on the screen. By tapping the microphone, users can speak rather than type.

Siri will come with built-in support for English, French and German. The software will be beta at launch, with more languages and services to be added over time.

• Reply 94 of 641
    guavaguava Posts: 13member
    There would have been less disappointment if there hadn't been all the rumours about the 4 inch screen and teardrop, aluminium backed shape.

The moral of the story: don't listen to rumours.

I think the iPhone 5 from the rumour mill could be next year's model and the rumour mongers got mixed up.
  • Reply 95 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I challenge anyone around the world to show me significant numbers of users with consistent 5mbps downloads on any 3G device, let alone 10mbps in the iPhone4S.

does speedtest.net count?

I regularly get 6+ here in Canada. It blows on the west coast and I don't think I've ever gotten great speeds stateside.
  • Reply 96 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Investors not impressed w iPhone 4S-

Dumping AAPL stock!

This is why Apple does so many fewer of these events - the stock ALWAYS drops because some analyst's guess was wrong.

It only means that after a run up buyers are looking to get some profit.

It'll go back up when the phone is released next week.

(Anyone have numbers for what it looked like after the 3gs was released?)
  • Reply 97 of 641
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

That thing is a battery hog....returned after 3 days.

Really? Because my Evo consistently lasts a day and half without needing a charge, and still goes a full day when I'm using 4G to surf the web. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the iPhone 4S will continue the trend of amazing battery life, but you did NOT return the Evo after 3 days because you never purchased one. I'm not sure why you would need more than a day of battery life to be quite honest.

On that note: For the idiots claiming this isn't a great upgrade, it is. Apple has never been a "bleeding edge technology" company.They've consistently been an "optimize the current technology so it runs better than bleeding edge" and that's exactly what they've given.

On that note, Siri look amazing. Even for beta.
  • Reply 98 of 641
    Stick your 4s apple. looks like i'll be keeping my 3gs
  • Reply 99 of 641
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    With the huge number of iPhone units being manufactured these days, keeping the same iPhone4 form factor with only minor tweaks will probably keep their supply chain in good order. Imagine a new design + iPhone4 coming out of Foxconn including iPads... I guess they need more time as they get bigger and bigger and sell in huge volumes.

Would have welcomed a bigger screen on the same design though that's for sure. Hope the home button doesn't go to shit after 9 months of use anymore. The Camera, A5 chip, graphics and Siri doesn't justify for an upgrade for me unfortunately. I think iOS5 will keep me happy for another year until iPhone5
  • Reply 100 of 641
    igxqrrligxqrrl Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anakin1992 View Post

1.5 years ago? which carriers had that service? i bet most of times it would just be in 3g speed.

Sprint had 4G (WiMax) back then. Yes, it was not available everywhere. But where it was available it was quite nice.