Google, Samsung unveil Galaxy Nexus phone running Android 4.0

Comments

• Reply 81 of 182
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Video: Playback and recording at 1080p (30fps, MPEG-4/h.263/h.264)

So, um, whatever happened to "open" webM?
  • Reply 82 of 182
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Let's wait to see how it works in real life before trashing it in a demo.

A demo could be great and turn out to severely limited in real life. Just look at how limited Siri is turning out to be internationally.

And don't forget the great new superior camera that, when tested against the android phones, did not do so good as expected. Outperformed by the Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation in video, and by Galaxy S II and T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 4G in still images. ANd this doesn't include the recently releaseed Sony's Xperia Ray which is regarded as the best of the Android cameras (although not tested side by side yet)

"Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite"

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24195...oid_elite.html
  • Reply 83 of 182
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Absolutely spectacular hardware for sure, a generation at least ahead of the iPhone 4S. Ice Cream Sandwich looks interesting too, but Android is still lacking many apps for me.

I hope high end stuff like this spurs Apple into action next time. They can't afford to push out another lazy minor spec bump.
  • Reply 84 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So, um, whatever happened to "open" webM?

That's for use with HTML5. I don't see why the would include that detail.

But the fact that it has enough power to play a 1080p file is impressive. No need to compress anything with AVS
  • Reply 85 of 182
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Do you mean that certain features are not yet implemented in countries outside of the US? That's intentional and more regions and countries will be added in 2012 Apple said.

Yet they chose not to mention this in the keynote, despite the beta tag. Siri is quite hobbled in Australia.
  • Reply 86 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Also from Google: http://phandroid.com/2011/10/19/nexu...apable-device/

Also keep in mind Cyanogenmod 9. With the SDK out, they are busy developing ICS for over 60 Android phones.

99% of Android phones have a 2.2 option at this point. Even the G1 can get 2.3

The problem isn't Google necessarily but rather the OEMs and the carriers who don't show much enthusiasm for updates. In fact, given that both of those groups have traditionally made their money from sales of new hardware, it stands to reason that they would actually be against updating. It will be interesting to see how this plays out if Google does make ICS available to a wide array of phones and their partners don't cooperate.
  • Reply 87 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The phone specs look pretty good to me.
    Galaxy Nexus

Network HSPA+ 21 850/900/1900/1700/2100; 850/900/1800/1900 EDGE/GPRS (LTE will be available depending on region)

Processor1.2GHz dual-core processor

Display: 4.65-inch 1280 x 720 HD Super AMOLED

Cameras:Rear cam: 5-megapixel, Front cam: 1.3-megapixel for video call

Video: Playback and recording at 1080p (30fps, MPEG-4/h.263/h.264)

Connectivity:Bluetooth 3.0, USB, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, NFC

Sensors: Accelerometer, compass, gyro, light, proximity, barometer

Memory: 1GB ram + 16/32GB storage

Battery: 1750mah standard battery

Size: 135.5 x 67.94 x 8.94; 135g

The processor, although dual core running at a higher clock rate, is much slower than the A5 in the 4S. I saw the benchmarks somewhere but for the life of me can't locate them again.
  • Reply 88 of 182
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

And don't forget the great new superior camera that, when tested against the android phones, did not do so good as expected. Outperformed by the Galaxy S II and HTC Sensation in video, and by Galaxy S II and T-Mobile MyTouch Slide 4G in still images.

Most of those other devices have giant camera components though. The iPhone achieves comparable image quality with a smaller part. The Droid Bionic camera looked quite impressive for its size but doesn't have as stable video as the iPhone 4S with it's software stabilisation using the accelerometer and gyroscope.

While the 4S doesn't have the best camera in certain tests, it's a good all-round camera for a phone and certainly competes strongly with the best of the competition.
  • Reply 89 of 182
    Because this is a reference platform. They release a handset that is on the lower end of the scale rather than the high-end to show people and manufacturers what the minimum performance should be.
  • Reply 90 of 182
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Before you start claiming that Android was first in this, look to the many patents Apple has on this same kind of technology from the early 2000's.

I used to share my contact information with my Handspring Visor over IR beam running PalmOS in 2001. This is not new. Apple could do it all using Bluetooth but rather uses messaging to accomplish the same task which isn't limited with distance.
  • Reply 91 of 182
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

They have already said that it is designed to run on all previous Android devices. ...

A) That's obviously ridiculously false.

B) It doesn't actually answer the question. The answer is probably, not that many people will be able to upgrade, since the carriers won't let them.
  • Reply 92 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

... "Also, big fail on that Face recognition demo. "

Yep, no one has ever had a small failure at a demo.

Thank god they didn't have to ask people to cool it on the wireless because their advanced antenna was unable to get signal in a crowded room. THAT would be embarrassing. /end_schooling ...

A) Your description of the iPhone 4 intro wifi issue is entirely inaccurate. The problem was too many "hotspots" or networks in a finite space, something that would be a problem for any device, so it doesn't say anything at all about the iPhone 4 antenna.

B) The face recognition failure and the IP4 intro wifi spectrum problems aren't even analogous snafus.
  • Reply 93 of 182
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Looks like another minor update. I wonder at what point people will actually start talking about the fact that Google's progress on Android appears to have slowed to a crawl. It's been nearly a year since the last phone release (2.3) - itself a minor update - and they have a slightly improved look, a new way to unlock the phone, and a handful of new gestures in some of the apps.
  • Reply 94 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LogicNReason View Post

Couldn't one argue (and be correct) that competition drove Apple to invent the iPhone?

One could argue that, but one wouldn't be correct.
  • Reply 95 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One could argue that, but one wouldn't be correct.

Exactly. If competition drove Apple to the iPhone, then that implies they already had a phone (lets call it, the PowerPhone ) - I think they just saw an emerging market of ultra portable communication devices and went "lets have at it, lads!".
  • Reply 96 of 182
    hankx32hankx32 Posts: 121member
    Now I know why they call it Ice Cream Sandwich... because thats what the phone looks like.
  • Reply 97 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hankx32 View Post

Now I know why they call it Ice Cream Sandwich... because thats what the phone looks like.

I actually think the 4 looks more like an ice cream sandwich.

Delicious steel filling.
  • Reply 98 of 182
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

what percent of the existing hardware running android will be able to upgrade?

If you look at history, chances are that the percentage is tiny.

My daughter has a cell phone which is just over a year old that won't go any higher than 1.6. My ex's 3 month old phone is at 2.2. Neither one has any upgrades available. I wouldn't expect that ICS is going to change that.
  • Reply 99 of 182
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

Also from Google: http://phandroid.com/2011/10/19/nexu...apable-device/

Also keep in mind Cyanogenmod 9. With the SDK out, they are busy developing ICS for over 60 Android phones.

99% of Android phones have a 2.2 option at this point. Even the G1 can get 2.3

Sorry, but a site called 'phandroid' isn't a reliable source. And I don't believe that 99% of Android phones have a 2.2 option. MAYBE 99% of Android phones being sold today, but even that isn't likely. My experience with the 4 Android phones my family has owned is that NONE of them has had an upgrade option available. Ever. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

From ThisismyNext:

Apparently, all the specs in the world still can't manage stutter/lag-free operation. Definitely an OS issue:

http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/g...ideo-hands-on/

The camera also seems extremely mediocre from the sample shots. Definitely nothing approaching 4S quality.

And that's the key. As far as specs are concerned, this phone isn't bad (other than the camera and perhaps the physical dimensions). On paper, it looks at least OK. But look at the actual performance in your hands. Apple is getting absolutely incredible images from their camera. How many Android phones have a lens system like Apple's? And the stutter-free operation of iOS puts Android to shame. Look at camera lag times, for example.

It's about the EXPERIENCE, not about who can brag a little bit about a better spec.
  • Reply 100 of 182
    linkgx1linkgx1 Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry, but a site called 'phandroid' isn't a reliable source. And I don't believe that 99% of Android phones have a 2.2 option. MAYBE 99% of Android phones being sold today, but even that isn't likely. My experience with the 4 Android phones my family has owned is that NONE of them has had an upgrade option available. Ever. Do you have any evidence to support your claim?

And that's the key. As far as specs are concerned, this phone isn't bad (other than the camera and perhaps the physical dimensions). On paper, it looks at least OK. But look at the actual performance in your hands. Apple is getting absolutely incredible images from their camera. How many Android phones have a lens system like Apple's? And the stutter-free operation of iOS puts Android to shame. Look at camera lag times, for example.

It's about the EXPERIENCE, not about who can brag a little bit about a better spec.

Um, the Samsung Galaxy SII. I mean, the reviews put them neck to neck....especially considering it came out 6 months ago.