Steve Jobs told biographer he 'cracked' the secret to a simple HDTV

Comments

• Reply 141 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

Um, yes you did. I said that Apple is a whole widget company and you replied that there are "made for iPod" products to which I replied that this is totally different (iPod = widget and "made for" = periphery). Apple already makes boxes that can be upgraded via software update and if need be incremental hardware. Are you (and anyone else) telling me that screen tech moves so rapidly that televisions have to be upgraded every few months? I doubt it, BUT I bet Apple could offer free software updates worth customers' wilds like idevices.

You have a serious comprehension problem, or more likely, you just don't want to hear what someone else has to say. Either way, there's no point in responding to you, since no matter how many times I repeat myself you'll twist it out of shape.

And the phrase you're mangling is "customers' WHILES" - there's no such thing as a "customers' WILD". You didn't get that right... because you just do not listen.
  • Reply 142 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

You have a serious comprehension problem, or more likely, you just don't want to hear what someone else has to say. Either way, there's no point in responding to you, since no matter how many times I repeat myself you'll twist it out of shape.

And the phrase you're mangling is "customers' WHILES" - there's no such thing as a "customers' WILD". You didn't get that right... because you just do not listen.

Oh really??? Then what was so different from my interpretation and what you said? Did you not say that Apple should license the software to TV makers? Did you not say that "made for ipod" was the same as not making the whole widget? Please enlighten rather than insult.
  • Reply 143 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

...Yeah, but that was into the back seat...

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-ipod-car-yelp
  • Reply 144 of 197
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If you think Apple's will release a set top box with Siri I can't help you.

So Ireland, when is that Apple Television coming up? It's been more than 5 years man, tired of waiting....
  • Reply 145 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiger View Post

If there's ever any revolutionary innovation in TV, it will be a fundamental change in the business model?probably in the TV network/movie studio business model. The hardware and software will be incidental.

I actually think all three are of equal importance.
  • Reply 146 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Would they be LCD, LED, or Plasma?

LED is LCD, just with an upgraded backlight. Sadly I don't think they would touch Plasma, but plasma still remains my favourite TV display technology. I've owned 4 TV's in the last 10 years and am somewhat of a TV enthusiast and my 4 year old Pionner Kuro still remains the best TV on the market, bar none. Bested only by the final final 9G Pionner Kuro. We all know where Pioneer is now - out.
  • Reply 147 of 197
    Quote:

I hate that website.
  • Reply 148 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

So Ireland, when is that Apple Television coming up? It's been more than 5 years man, tired of waiting....

It's been a long time alright. My vision was a bit too far reaching. I apologise for being right so early on. My timing was off, yes. Apple chose to focus on other products first, yes. But surely you've got to admit me some credit for my prediction?
  • Reply 149 of 197
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It's been a long time alright. My vision was a bit too far reaching. I apologise for being right so early on.

Being right? You saw the AppleTV and said, like millions of others "Wouldn't that be cool if Apple made a TV?" You didn't come up with a scenario to achieve a viable market from a device that wouldn't piss off the content providers. You didn't come with anything I can see that would make hint at this being viable idea. You took the most common and obvious idea and kept repeating it. It's like a patent troll but without any actual financial investment. I've asked you for a game plan for an Apple HDTV and don't think you've presented one over the years.
  • Reply 150 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Being right? You saw the AppleTV and said, like millions of others "Wouldn't that be cool if Apple made a TV?"

Steve Jobs previewed Apple TV in September 2006. I acquired apple-tv.com in July 2006. I said Apple will build an all-in-one TV one day, I thought it was going to happen far sooner. You are dead wrong about me on this one.

Quote:

You didn't come up with a scenario to achieve a viable market from a device that wouldn't piss off the content providers. You didn't come with anything I can see that would make hint at this being viable idea.

I'm not here to persuade you. It was a prediction. I saw it before me. It has been to me for 5 years completely obvious that eventually Apple would build a TV. It's a perfect fit. I've always felt that way about this.
  • Reply 151 of 197
    Quote:

Steve Jobs previewed Apple TV in September 2006. I acquired apple-tv.com in July 2006.

Touché.
  • Reply 152 of 197
    Nice until you don't know what the H you want to watch. At that you just say,

User: I'm a looser talking to a TV

Siri: You sure are, you sure are.
  • Reply 153 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

1) It's impressive that Siri knows what you meant by saying 'looser' instead of 'loser'.

2) Having Siri and a standard digital television guide are not mutually exclusive. Does Siri on the iPhone take away any visual search options?
  • Reply 154 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by holy_steven View Post

Then you say, "Siri, flip through the major networks."
  • Reply 155 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Then you say, "Siri, flip through the major networks."

"Show me what's on TV."

"TV guide."

"List shows"
  • Reply 156 of 197
    Quote:

It's been a long time alright. My vision was a bit too far reaching. I apologise for being right so early on. My timing was off, yes. Apple chose to focus on other products first, yes. But surely you've got to admit me some credit for my prediction?

Credit?

Just looked on the Apple store and still no signs of a television.....

No worries bro, maybe someday we will see such a thing. I hope it's good, because I am not selling my Pioneer 60" plasma for something less, oh wait maybe I just need an AppleTV box, that might give the same functionality for $99. That's a steal.
  • Reply 157 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

Credit?

Just looked on the Apple store and still no signs of a television.....

No worries bro, maybe someday we will see such a thing. I hope it's good, because I am not selling my Pioneer 60" plasma for something less, oh wait maybe I just need an AppleTV box, that might give the same functionality for $99. That's a steal.

I've a Kuro too. Best TV ever!

I don't think us Kuro owners are the ideal market for iTV. I think it will suit more the upcoming family of the 'app generation' about to buy their first family TV. They plug in this TV, type in their WiFi password and their Apple ID and away they go. Console games, TV Shows, Movies and more all in one TV with no extra boxes with one household remote. Boom!
  • Reply 158 of 197
    Quote:

I've a Kuro too. Best TV ever!

I don't think us Kuro owners are the ideal market for iTV. I think it will suit more the upcoming family of the 'app generation' about to buy their first family TV. They plug in this TV, type in their WiFi password and their Apple ID and away they go. Console games, TV Shows, Movies and more all in one TV with no extra boxes with one household remote. Boom!

All you said can be done with a $99 box. That's called AppleTV.

The only advantage as far as I can tell is FaceTime with a camera on a Apple display, is that enough to differentiate from the rest? I don't think so.

Apple must have a groundbreaking tech on the display itself to generate interest so people can move and pay premium price for it. Right now most things can happen on that $99 box that's easy to update and don't break the bank.

We'll see but my feeling all the hoopla lately about Apple and television is geared towards a upcoming ATV box and a new model of media delivery utilizing iCloud.
  • Reply 159 of 197
    Quote:

I hate that website.

I don't like them either, but this story seemed fairly straightforward.
  • Reply 160 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't like them either, but this story seemed fairly straightforward.

Haha.

I didn't just mean the fact that they scrape the Internet and steal article like the HuffPost does, but the design, the fact that video ads auto-play with audio and the general lack of taste and integrity of the whole thing. I don't even trust their original material, the little bit they produce.