Nokia launches first Windows Phones to take on Apple's iPhone 4S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 211
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    I'd love to design an ad for Apple. A three your old is given a Windows phone to play with to keep it quiet and the adult says "Here you go, you will be able to use this with your chubby little fingers." the toddler looks at it then toss it over his shoulder and pulls an iPhone out of his diapers and says "Siri, where is mom?"
  • Reply 22 of 211
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHrubik View Post

What's obvious is you don't know your ass from a hole in the wall.

Microsoft was slow out of the gate watching and waiting like a predator. They "were" the only game in the smartphone market for years. Then iOS happened which took the smartphone market in a completely new direction. A direction Microsoft wasn't prepared for. 5 years later they have deployed Windows Phone 7.5 Mango (a great but young mobile OS)and have essentially purchased a phone manufacturer (Nokia). Over the next 12 months we're going to see a "sleeping giant" enter the mobile phone arena.

iOS and Android have a lot to fear.

LOL, We have been hearing about this "fear" Apple should have for years. Microsoft's last shot is Nokia and I'll bet Android and RIM will be the ones that would take a hit. If and that's a big IF, WM gains any traction.
  • Reply 23 of 211
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

To take on Android, would be more appropriate.

Android is eating your lunch Microsoft, not iPhone.

Everything has to be "versus Apple" to make it on this site, and saying "take on Android" might imply that Android is the more formidable foe.

They also seem to be targeting the dumb feature phone customer, so "MS/Nokia vs everything" would probably be the most accurate. They're desperate enough to want to sell anything to anyone.
  • Reply 24 of 211
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphon...7/default.aspx

Ugliest UI ever :roll eyes: Though its minimalistic and clean there is no sense of symmetry and "lacks taste" These guys can't find a good designer to copy Apple after all these years with all their $ ???
  • Reply 25 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I very much doubt that Apple will be suing anyone over WP7 phones.

Why?

:filler:
  • Reply 26 of 211
    lxglxg Posts: 19member
  • Reply 27 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I still do not understand... blah blah blah

Indeed.
  • Reply 28 of 211
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

Microsoft cover the WP7 OEM's. If Apple were to sue Nokia they would actually be suing Microsoft.
  • Reply 29 of 211
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4miler View Post

It's quite possible that if/when Windows 8 takes off among people that need content-creation pads, rather than one primarily focused on content-consumption, there may be a halo-effect where people will be attracted to Windows phone.

And what makes you think that Apple won't beat M$ to the punch when it comes to creation? They are already doing it. Wait until they release Office for iPad (because they realize they have to). It's game over.

Quote:

I'm a Mac and iPhone fan, but when I checked out the Windows phone at the shops, I thought it looked decent.

I have not seen one in person, but I've HATED the appearance of the UI ever since I first saw it. It looks clunky and dated. I realize they are going for simplicity, but honestly...it's a bunch of random ass blue rectangles of different sized. Really?

Quote:

Nokia realised that to succeed in the smartphone wars, it needs developers to create apps, and it realised it did not have a hope of creating an app base anywhere near Apple's. With Windows 8 on the horizon, and with Microsoft's large user base, it is very likely Microsoft will catch up with Apple in the app numbers game, which aids Nokia.

I don't think it's very likely at all, though I agree with the first statement you made re: having a platform. Microsoft has shown no ability to compete with Apple in this area. They've been trying since Zune, and we know how that worked out.

Quote:

We will only know where this smartphone game is headed about 2 years after the launch of Windows 8.

That's like saying we'll only know who will be in the Super Bowl after the championship games. What we know now is Apple is pretty owning everyone with one phone instead instead of hundreds running slightly dfferent OSes.

Quote:

From here on, the smartphone game is tied to the fate of Windows 8, and whether Windows 8 can generate a halo effect of people getting Windows phones.

I really don't think that will happen. Also, understand that Apple's halo effect was the exact opposite. They used iTunes to sell iPods, which in turn created the halo effect on Apple's computers through their established and growing retail business. Apple has since transformed itself into a global icon and and household name. It's transcended being a computer company/software company and become a brand.
  • Reply 30 of 211
    Quote:

If MS is violating Apple patents, Apple will have to sue, or force MS to license. This is basic patent law. If you have been granted a patent, you need to defend it, else you lose it.

Also, like all language, patents remain somewhat ambiguous, and they need defining within the context of a specific "infringing" implementation to determine the patent coverage and boundaries.
  • Reply 31 of 211
    Quote:

It's not going to take Apple six months to sue the pants off of Nokia for this design.

What "design" are you talking about?
  • Reply 32 of 211
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Microsoft cover the WP7 OEM's. If Apple were to sue Nokia they would actually be suing Microsoft.

Who actually did their own R&D and developed their own technology and UI -- i.e., it's not just a direct ripoff of Apple's like Android is.
  • Reply 33 of 211
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,950member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

If MS is violating Apple patents, Apple will have to sue, or force MS to license. This is basic patent law. If you have been granted a patent, you need to defend it, else you lose it. ...

I'm afraid you have patent law confused with trademark law.
  • Reply 34 of 211
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

It's not going to take Apple six months to sue the pants off of Nokia for this design.

Tell you what - if that happens, I'll give you $1,000,000. If not, you give me $100. Sound fair?
  • Reply 35 of 211
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

What "design" are you talking about?

The? case? Do you really not see it?
  • Reply 36 of 211
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

If MS is violating Apple patents, Apple will have to sue, or force MS to license. This is basic patent law. If you have been granted a patent, you need to defend it, else you lose it.

Also, like all language, patents remain somewhat ambiguous, and they need defining within the context of a specific "infringing" implementation to determine the patent coverage and boundaries.

Apple and Microsoft already have broad cross-licensing deals in place, and often act as "allies" against the common threat of Google, the destroyer of business models.
  • Reply 37 of 211
    Nokia is sure to sell tens of dozens.
  • Reply 38 of 211
    What the heck is that? A good looking black phone embed in a huge blue gum tablet?!?!?

- Lets make a phone that is small, sexy and good looking!

- Huh.... Sir? There is no room for all the components...

- BRING ME SOLUTIONS DAMN IT!!!
  • Reply 39 of 211
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,528member
    I think the picture of the 800 looks really cool. That looks like something Apple would build.
  • Reply 40 of 211
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I have not seen one in person, but I've HATED the appearance of the UI ever since I first saw it. It looks clunky and dated. I realize they are going for simplicity, but honestly...it's a bunch of random ass blue rectangles of different sized. Really?

I know that this is the Internet and making informed opinions is frowned upon but why don't you try one before bashing it?

Most non-techies who use WP7 prefer it to Android. The problem for Microsoft is that the WP7 devices so far have been lacklustre and haven't been marketed with any real conviction. There's also a huge gap in their app portfolio.