Major PC makers plan to concede tablet market to Apple, Amazon in 2012

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

This means the Microsoft world is losing -correction: will never get- its grip on the tablet market.

Bye-bye Microsoft.

If you honestly believe that all of Microsofts hopes and dreams rests on its penetration into the tablet market, it is good you are not a business analyst.
  • Reply 22 of 133
    This only says the PC manufacturers are giving up (if in fact true), not the likes of HTC, Motorola and Samsung (although Samsung does make PCs).

Furthermore, there is no word from HP that they have given up for sure. Meg is *deliberating*. She is off to a decisive start as CEO.
  • Reply 23 of 133
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maverik234 View Post

Anyway, this article is good news for Apple, but it's a shame that these other companies just can't get it right.

I think that the moral of the story is that a strong entertainment ecosystem is necessary to move this particular product category.

Apple has one. So does Amazon.

Nobody else has one.

What I find interesting is that all these manufacturers have access to all the apps anybody could want in the Android Market (is that what it is called?) but that is not enough, seemingly. More is needed than apps.

It is very interesting that apps are where Amazon is said to be deficient, and yet Amazon is said to be a sales leader, with many wondering if the Nook Tablet can even keep up, given that it is missing a massive app selection.

So what is necessary to sell big numbers in the tablet market? Apps? Media content? Both at once? Low price for a web surfer/email machine?

What different categories will emerge in the market? Will Apple start to go after the low price market with !discontinued older models like they have been doing in the phone market? Early indications are that it is working well there.

This stuff is fascinating, given how it combines tech, marketing, and consumer psychology into a dynamic and fast-moving whole.
  • Reply 24 of 133
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I read this as a vote of zero confidence for Microsoft's tablet OS development. The logical path for major PC makers would have been there rather than Android and I suspect they have seen betas of Ballmer's future creation and didn't like what they saw.
  • Reply 25 of 133
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

If you honestly believe that all of Microsofts hopes and dreams rests on its penetration into the tablet market, it is good you are not a business analyst.

So what will they be making money from in ten years I wonder? Do enlighten us all.
  • Reply 26 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, but the iPad is closing the gap...I remember getting the original iPhone and I literally stopped carrying my laptop with me every where I went.

I remember telling my friends way back when, my iPhone does about 80% of what my MacBook does. Now, with the iPad2 it's closer to 95%. no doubt, the iPad can't replace a pc (yet) for everything, but I have noticed I don't use my printer anywhere near as much as I used to. I also don't fart around with my website as much and my reports ate simpler and easier to update.

Makes perfect sense, although in my case it's more like 30 and 50%, gov requires you to use CAC's and the iOS does not allow BT isolation through APIs nor do they allow any browser plugins, I wish Apple builds support in the upcoming iOS.
  • Reply 27 of 133
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

she goes straight for the iPad2 sitting on the coffee table...I get asked a lot, " r u almost done with the iPad?" of course, I correct her and tell her it's an "iPad2!".

Wow, I am so impressed with your correcting your girlfriend there.

Don't you just hate it when the socks in the drawer get out of alignment or the toilet paper is put in back to front. Some people!

Why is everyone taking this rather ludicrous story at face value as if there was no doubt that everything it claims is true or will come to pass? - Apart fromm DavidCV!
  • Reply 28 of 133
    Quote:

Wow! It's only the fastest growing segment of the computer market!

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.

If your iPad is Jailbroken, try TruPrint by Intelliborn. It's not a free app; however, it's much more versatile and capable than the basic wireless (print central) app from Apple. It's a feature app in the Cydia store.
  • Reply 29 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So what will they be making money from in ten years I wonder? Do enlighten us all.

Sorry guys, but the world needs Microsoft. Imagine a world were everyone was beautiful? Beauty would have no meaning, in fact we would all be normal. Having Mircosoft around allows people (Steve and others) to see what is ugly and to drive to make beautiful things.

Thank God for ugliness.

Long live microsoft ... but hopefully with a reduced market share in the future.
  • Reply 30 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

That, and the retina display. Coming from a 1st gen iPad, I can't wait!

Ditto from this 1st gener also!

/

/

/
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Personally, I still don't see the appeal of today's media consumption tablets. It's too big to carry around unlike a smartphone, yet too small to do any real productive work on it. The Asus Transformer tablet/laptop hybrid looks cool though. But even then, its mobile OS is a significant constraint.

Let's see how tablets evolve over the next few years. Things might get a little more interesting as Microsoft brings out its Windows 8 tablets next year.
  • Reply 32 of 133
    I pass down my iPad to my wife, I got the iPad 2. Her reaction was what I am going to use it for. She preferred her laptop. That was 4 months ago. Today, the iPad is her sofa & bed buddy. The laptop, is jealous. For printing, I have HP wifi printer... Easy setup & she can print from anywhere in the house.
  • Reply 33 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh I don't know, maybe the PC market to start, maybe Xbox Live, enterprise, Office, just all the other software they produce that they make billions from.

PC's are going nowhere anytime soon, the market keeps growing.

Xbox live is blowing up and MS are constantly striking deals to provide more and more content to the consumer

Enterprise is MS's bread and butter, servers, mail servers ect.... all run MS

Office, number one selling business software suite

I could go on.
  • Reply 34 of 133
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Now she goes straight for the iPad2 sitting on the coffee table...I get asked a lot, " r u almost done with the iPad?" of course, I correct her and tell her it's an "iPad2!".

You've gotta be careful with that kind of shit. Next thing you'll find yourself on the floor with an iPad (2) around your neck.
  • Reply 35 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

I think what he is trying to convey is in the last 10 years, you've had all these tech companies, stumbling and fumbling, MS, included, trying to expand their businesses, eg. Dell, HP, ms selling iPods which failed, dell, ms, etc., trying phones, gateway trying tv's, etc., etc., and Apple has shown there is great demand for an all new category when done right. And after sqtumbling and fumbling they have decided to give up.

I agree with the previous poster...leadership changes in 2012. Starting with RIM then MS, maybe even dell!

Best
  • Reply 36 of 133
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    These sources who say the entire industry is giving up trying to compete with Apple are surely unbiased, right? right?
  • Reply 37 of 133
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

That's exactly why people want a PC over an iPad. I love my iPad, but it's not a replacement for a computer. It's an ultra-portable accessory.

Ummm Ipads can print just fine thank you and without an app.
  • Reply 38 of 133
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

I'll say one thing, after enjoying my ipad2 for the last few months, I'll most likely, never buy another desktop. But, I'll definitely buy the ipad3 when it comes out! That, along with my ip4, (soon to be a 4s, which is soon to be iP5) and I'm good to go.

If there is a traditional pc in my future, I would probably choose an 11" MBA. Really, who wants to sit in front of a pc all day, anyway?

P.S. (Off topic) I'm looking to get a print app for my iPad...any suggestions? Thx.

Frankly, I'd just pop for a new HP printer with built-in AirPrint. Probably will cost you little more than a set of ink cartridges anyway, and then you don't have to futz with using your Mac as middle-man.

You could also revisit need for printing. I've found that most things (like boarding passes, advance tickets, etc) can simply be left on your iPhone or iPad and presented at the gate/door.

Just a thought.
  • Reply 39 of 133
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

The thing already prints no app needed.
  • Reply 40 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

industry insiders see as an indication that "strong enthusiasm for tablet PCs has already disappeared."

I'd say the consumer is unenthusiastic about the competitors that are producing inferior choices to the iPad... However, I do not think demand for the iPad tablet has wavered. In fact, the Daily has reported that the iPad is the number one Christmas gift request for Tweens this year. In addition, the IPad is growing by leaps and bounds in the classroom... Because of this, I think, the tablet and it's variants will become the dominant computer device. Furthermore, if Apple continues to lead to innovate and dominate this segment, than it will be the biggest player in the future market place. I hope that someone or company out there will produce a tablet that will truly compete with the iPad... If not, Apple will slow down development and innovation... I am sure that if there was a true competing tablet on the market last year, we would have had a much better iPad2... Unfortunately, there was not and Apple had the luxury of postponing some of the innovation it already developed for the iPad3... Just my opinion.

Also, Several friends tried the droid tables to only be let down by the quality of hardware, poor performing OS and shortage of quality tablet apps; therefore, either made the switch to the iPad or are waiting for iPad3.