North Carolina locals question benefits of Apple's $1 billion server farm

Comments

• Reply 141 of 288
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Bottom line:

America's pastime used to be baseball.

Now it's bitching. Bitching and moaning about everything and anything. Even now... I'm bitching about people bitching.
  • Reply 142 of 288
    Negative Apple news? Me so surprised!

It's not a bad thing ya'll. How about they bring in more people to the Apple server farm and then pair one of the high-paying employees with a local? WIN WIN WIN!
  • Reply 143 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Is that really true? I would be interested in seeing a reliable source for that. If true, it's fascinating. I have seen various analysis (wish I could find a source to cite on instant notice) that regions with a majority of college-educated citizens tend to vote liberal more often. That of course is a slightly different but related issue to what you're referring to. Nonetheless, I am interested in seeing a source for your info if possible.

http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts...210General.pdf

Most of the republicans got a 2-1 voting preference over the dems.
  • Reply 144 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Bottom line:

Now it's bitching. Bitching and moaning about everything and anything. Even now... I'm bitching about people bitching.

I'm bitching about you bitching about people bitching about other people bitching.
  • Reply 145 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by main1event View Post

Did those people ever stop to consider the tax breaks that city receives? Sure it might be 50 jobs but its probably high paying jobs for that area. I'd rather see 50 high paying jobs than 200 McDonalds paying jobs.

A =/ B. Didn't a guy in the OP say that he only knows furniture? Unless Apple plans on training.
  • Reply 146 of 288
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Boy, I guess some poor people have the self importance to ask for a thank-you in addition to new developments in their town. They would prefer to have no development in their area I guess (many of my friends agree with this). Especially the friends who do not contribute to the economy in any way. They believe life without corporations would be heaven on Earth. Truth is, it would involve a lot of farming... subsistence farming. This way of life is still available in other lands, such as Cambodia.
  • Reply 147 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I agree that it makes no sense for Apple to hire additional people they don't need. However, as it often happens, local politicians granted Apple ridiculous tax breaks in exchange for... what, exactly?

This is the same old story that has played itself out at both the local and national level. Politicians and their corporate sponsors push the idea that businesses must be given tax breaks in order to create more jobs, except there's absolutely no strings attached that they actually do so, so it's nothing but corporate welfare. When new jobs are actually created they're usually small in number, low paying and in no way tied to whatever tax breaks the corporation received.

Considering Apple is one of (if not the) largest and most profitable companies on the planet, you have to wonder why they need any tax breaks or loopholes when there's no payback in exchange. Now I'm a huge Apple fan and I don't think they're doing anything wrong - as a business they're trying to minimize costs and maximize profits - but this is a fine example of why this tired old story needs to be put to rest and corporate welfare needs to end immediately.

In exchange for millions of dollars in future tax revenue. It's simple business... the city/state with the best prices/benefits usually wins. The city/state wins because of all the tax revenue they can extract from Apple, even if it isn't the full amount--it's more than they were getting before
  • Reply 148 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Don't for get the Ents.

Haruuummm...I shshshaannnt
  • Reply 149 of 288
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Liberals in NC? That's like Eskimos in Hawaii.

Everyone turns into a liberal when they feel like a windfall is available for the taking if they whine for it enough.
  • Reply 150 of 288
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hi tech companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook etc. do not create many jobs compared to big corporations of the past. Anybody looking for these kind of companies to put many people to work doesn't really know what they're talking about.

To put this in context, the Economist recently noted that Apple, Amazon, and Google together employ 113,000 people--which is less than 1/3rd as many as a single American success-story from the prior generation, GM, employed in 1980.

How many people worked on building the great wall of China or the pyramids? Millions! Things must have been much better back then since there were more jobs... well for the Pharaohs and the Emperors at least.

By the way, Foxconn employs well over a million people who are making tablets and things for those companies you mentioned. So yes, they hire fewer people directly than GM but indirectly many more.
  • Reply 151 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are probably 50 more gardening, maintenance and janitorial jobs that are not Apple employees. Of course those duties are provided by a crew of Latin American immigrants.

Yes, mstone - we should only employ whites, right?
  • Reply 152 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Yes, mstone - we should only employ whites, right?

Your words not mine. I said no such thing. That is just the way things have turned out for better or worse in the low tech service industries. Although we should hire only US citizens.
  • Reply 153 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

The college educated officials seem to be mostly republican.

That doesn't mean they're not liberal!
  • Reply 154 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hi tech companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook etc. do not create many jobs compared to big corporations of the past. Anybody looking for these kind of companies to put many people to work doesn't really know what they're talking about.

To put this in context, the Economist recently noted that Apple, Amazon, and Google together employ 113,000 people--which is less than 1/3rd as many as a single American success-story from the prior generation, GM, employed in 1980.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...#ixzz1ewHXtXBA

I remember when being able to produce more output with less inputs was considered highly productive - generally a good thing. My how things have changed.
  • Reply 155 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [input funny joke that doesn't deal with religion or politics]
  • Reply 156 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wombat Sex.
  • Reply 157 of 288
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brj2UkUPjCI

They took our jerrrrbs!!! why do people think they are entitled to handouts & job offers if they aren't necessarily qualified? Answers, they aren't ....The End
  • Reply 158 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I liked your earlier version of this post. That could have kept us busy until the new topics come out Monday morning. You ruined at least another 5 pages worth of ranting with that retraction.
  • Reply 159 of 288
    zozmanzozman Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Bottom line:

Thats GOLD!!! Haha, So Americans are sounding like the British now? the circle is now complete
  • Reply 160 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zozman View Post

Thats GOLD!!! Haha, So Americans are sounding like the British now? the circle is now complete

"From the day we arrive on the planet And blinking , step into the sun There's more to be seen than can ever be......

IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFEEEEEEEEEE! AND YOU LOSE CONTROOOOOOOOOL!!!!