North Carolina locals question benefits of Apple's $1 billion server farm

Comments

• Reply 161 of 288
    Put your faith in SMALL biz, those are the ones that create MORE jobs.

Don't let Republicans fool you with their Job creators-billionaires.
  • Reply 162 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I liked your earlier version of this post. That could have kept us busy until the new topics come out Monday morning. You ruined at least another 5 pages worth of ranting with that retraction.

I've made several jokes on this thread and I don't think any of them landed, so I think I was going for a more reactionary religious comment to get negative feedback if I couldn't get positive feedback. Looking for a negative reaction is bordering on trolling, hence my retraction.
  • Reply 163 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Put your faith in SMALL biz, those are the ones that create MORE jobs.

But we want cheaper pricess.
  • Reply 164 of 288
    I must note, Apple COULD potentially have a lot of children locked up somewhere under the sever farm, answering your Siri questions. Could. That's job creation for you there bud.
  • Reply 165 of 288
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've made several jokes on this thread and I don't think any of them landed, so I think I was going for a more reactionary religious comment to get negative feedback if I couldn't get positive feedback. Looking for a negative reaction is bordering on trolling, hence my retraction.

Oh well it would have been entertaining. I might as well go clean up my garage. BTW there is no "J" in Hebrew.
  • Reply 166 of 288
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

BTW there is no "J" in Paleo-Hebrew.

What are you saying? Esus was an Ew?
  • Reply 167 of 288
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

What are you saying? Esus was an Ew?

Yod
  • Reply 168 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post

I must note, Apple COULD potentially have a lot of children locked up somewhere under the sever farm, answering your Siri questions. Could. That's job creation for you there bud.

Add to that the money made for supplying gruel for those children. And the Grubby & Tattered Clothing Company(tm) should do well also.
  • Reply 169 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hi tech companies like Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook etc. do not create many jobs compared to big corporations of the past. Anybody looking for these kind of companies to put many people to work doesn't really know what they're talking about.

To put this in context, the Economist recently noted that Apple, Amazon, and Google together employ 113,000 people--which is less than 1/3rd as many as a single American success-story from the prior generation, GM, employed in 1980.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...#ixzz1ewHXtXBA

But isn't that the fact that for one, they pay higher? I mean, even if GM and Apple had the same income, Apple is paying over $60,000 a year...right? They usually require advanced degrees, or at least supeior intellectual knowledge.

Even the higher income folks may not improve the town itself. I'm not sure how far away they are from the nearest wealthy area, but I'm sure that won't creat new homes (BTW, I'm responding ot another poster on this).

For example, here in St. Louis, many high income earners in Ladue, MO work in St. Louis city. So I'd imagine this could be the scenario where the job is just in a partiular city but not necessarliy imporiving that residing town in any way.
  • Reply 170 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Add to that the money made for supplying gruel for those children. And the Grubby & Tattered Clothing Company(tm) should do well also.

Hey, you gotta keep the costs down! Gubby & Tattered is too expensive. The cost is too high. How about the Birthday Suit Company(c)?
  • Reply 171 of 288
    Quote:

"From the day we arrive on the planet And blinking , step into the sun There's more to be seen than can ever be......IT'S THE CIRCLE OF LIFEEEEEEEEEE! AND YOU LOSE CONTROOOOOOOOOL!!!!

That's "And it moves us all".
  • Reply 172 of 288
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

But isn't that the fact that for one, they pay higher? I mean, even if GM and Apple had the same income, Apple is paying over $60,000 a year...right? They usually require advanced degrees, or at least supeior intellectual knowledge.

No, it has nothing to do with the fact that they pay higher. It only means that Apple doesn't need thousands of people to make this datacenter operate, while some inefficient car companies (forced to be inefficient by union rules... just ask Toyota how many employees are truly needed to make a car) need more.
  • Reply 173 of 288
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

In a town of a reported 3,400 adults, 50 jobs represents a potential employment increase of 1.47%. Every little bit helps, do the math.

Yes, let's do the math.

However, start by realizing that in a city of 3400, not all of them are working. If the total population was 3400, then probably only 1,000 to 1500 are working. If it really was 3400 adults, then probably only 2,000 are working. That makes the percentage higher.

Furthermore, Apple stated that 50 direct employees would be hired, but another 250 in contract services (presumably landscaping, security, janitorial, etc). 300 new jobs in a city where 1,000 to 2,000 people are working is a LOT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't understand what the local expected. If you own a furniture store, a gas station, or some other local business, Apple is not going to hire you, and put you to work in their data center, but wouldn't the people they did hire need furniture, gas, food, etc? Wouldn't that money go back to the local economy?

Obviously, but that's too simplistic for some people.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It's called the fair tax {a high, flat sales tax on everything}. And anyone who looks at it thinks it's the best (except CPAs who deal specifically with individuals and IRS agents- because they'd be out of work).

Actually, I don't think that's fair at all. It means that the people who can least afford it are most heavily burdened as a percentage of their income. To me, a fair tax would be:

- No deductions at all

- First $50,000 of income exempted

- Next $200,000 of income taxed at 10%.

- Remainder taxed at 20% (or whatever it takes to balance things out)

- Capital gains taxed at normal income tax rates, but indexed for inflation

Before going bonkers, realize that very few people earning under $50 K pay any taxes under the current system (some actually get money back even if they don't pay taxes).
  • Reply 174 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's "And it moves us all".

Oh. I've been thinking that since it was four. I had no time to read the lyrics!
  • Reply 175 of 288
    Quote:

Hey, you gotta keep the costs down! Gubby & Tattered is too expensive. The cost is too high. How about the Birthday Suit Company(c)?

^^^^

Paid shill for the Birthday Suit Company(c).

• Reply 176 of 288
    Quote:

How many people worked on building the great wall of China or the pyramids? Millions! Things must have been much better back then since there were more jobs... well for the Pharaohs and the Emperors at least.

By the way, Foxconn employs well over a million people who are making tablets and things for those companies you mentioned. So yes, they hire fewer people directly than GM but indirectly many more.

You do understand what they used for adhesive material in the morter and filler for those ancient projects...
  • Reply 177 of 288
    Quote:

[input funny joke that doesn't deal with religion or politics]

Actually, you had already won this thread with "They took'r jobs" pic. The thread is now closed.
  • Reply 178 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

It's called the fair tax. And anyone who looks at it thinks it's the best (except CPAs who deal specifically with individuals and IRS agents- because they'd be out of work).

You're grossly overestimating the support for this regressive tax structure.

Edit: oops. I posted this before I saw the official notice that the thread was closed.

My bad. Heheh.
  • Reply 179 of 288
    Quote:

[input funny joke that doesn't deal with religion or politics]

Sex is not the Answer!

Sex is the Question.

...The Answer is Yes!
  • Reply 180 of 288
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Sex is not the Answer!