Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday provided developers with a second beta of iOS 5.1, with the latest update granting the ability to delete individual photos synced to the iCloud Photo Stream feature.

The latest beta is now available to members of the iOS developer program. People familiar with beta 2 said one of the newest additions automatically deletes pictures from Photo Stream when they are deleted from the iPhone.

Currently, pictures taken on an iOS device are automatically synced with the Photo Stream feature of Apple's iCloud. But if a user deletes a picture from their iPhone, it is not removed from iCloud. Instead, users must unsync their entire photo library in order to remove an uploaded photo.

Those same people said that the latest beta of iOS 5.1 is known as build 9B5127c. Some issues do reportedly remain with the pre-release software, including freezes related to Setup Assistant and the shake-to-shuffle feature in the iOS music player.

iOS 5.1 beta 2 is compatible with the iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. It is an 801MB download. A new beta firmware for the Apple TV was also issued Monday, and allows developers to test iOS 5.1 applications with AirPlay on the set-top box.

The first beta of iOS 5.1 was provided to developers in late November. It included references to a next-generation iPhone, labeled "iPhone5,1," as well as third-generation iPad models, "iPad3,2" and "iPad3,3."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Apple adds ability to delete individual Photo Stream pics in iOS 5.1 beta 2

I'm glad they listened. Was pretty stupid omission in the first place. Now I can re-enable iCloud syncing for photos.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Well it's about time!

That was a feature that should have been included in the launch!

Now I might actually find some use for photostream
  • Reply 3 of 32
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Does this mean that if you delete photo's from iPhone when importing to iPhoto, that they will delete from photostream?

It's kind of useful to have them still in the photostream folder on the iPhone after you do this.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    "Hey honey, why did this picture of a stripper just show up in iPhoto?"
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Srice View Post

Or worse. Try showing off your AppleTV to your parents when all of a sudden your Photostream starts it's slideshow on your 52" screen.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    This is a good step in making Photostream useful, by getting rid of photos you don't want to keep anywhere.

Even more importantly, it now needs the same change on Mac in IPhoto.

Problem now is you take 20 photos on a camera, and after import to iPhoto, and review/edit you only keep only 2 or 3 of them. Unfortunately right now all 20 are in the Photostream sent to your IPAD/IPhone.

Hopefully Apple will make this change as well.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Graham Reeves View Post

This is a good step in making Photostream useful, by getting rid of photos you don't want to keep anywhere.

Even more importantly, it now needs the same change on Mac in IPhoto.

Problem now is you take 20 photos on a camera, and after import to iPhoto, and review/edit you only keep only 2 or 3 of them. Unfortunately right now all 20 are in the Photostream sent to your IPAD/IPhone.

Hopefully Apple will make this change as well.

Just turn off Automatic upload in iPhoto.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    I hope they fix Cover Flow too.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by landilevente View Post

I hope they fix Cover Flow too.

What's wrong with Cover Flow?
  • Reply 10 of 32
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Maybe I'm being dense but what if I accidentaly delete a photo on my iPhone? I would like the option to retrieve it from PhotoStream.

I'd prefer to pick and choose which photos I delete from PhotoStream...
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Finally!
  • Reply 12 of 32
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Maybe I'm being dense but what if I accidentaly delete a photo on my iPhone? I would like the option to retrieve it from PhotoStream.

I'd prefer to pick and choose which photos I delete from PhotoStream...

...not picking on you, poster, rather, just goes to show that no matter what changes Apple makes, they can never please everyone.....
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I'd be happy if Apple could make Photo Stream work in the first place. Case in point - if you take photos away from a WiFi connection and later connect via WiFi, Photo Stream is supposed to spring into action and upload those newly-taken photos. Except that it doesn't happen - at least reliably. If it were, the iPhone's Camera Roll and Photo Stream would be in sync (assuming that you don't delete photos from the phone after importing them into iPhoto). We've tried and tried, and just can't get this to work reliably, and if you go to Apple's iCloud support forum, we are far from alone.
  • Reply 14 of 32
    I'm actually not OK with this... Hopefully this is just poor wording / misunderstanding by AppleInsider. I'd like to be able to delete photos from the Stream, but I don't want it to necessarily happen automatically when I delete photos from my camera roll... Photo Stream is almost a backup -- I don't want my backup automatically deleted in the event I delete a photo accidentally.
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Srice View Post

LOL. EXACTLY why I quit using it.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Monday provided developers with a second beta of iOS 5.1, with the latest update granting the ability to delete individual photos synced to the iCloud Photo Stream feature.

Great, I'd been holding off on using iCloud until they fixed this egregious bit of bad design. I still don't trust Apple to get the Internet right, they are not good at it yet, but I might start using iCloud, especially since I'm sure they'll force me to eventually.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    It's very slow and sometimes it freezes for seconds on my iPhone 4. Some people have the same issues, its on Apple support forum too. Cover Flow was always very smooth before 5.0 even on my iPhone 3G.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

...not picking on you, poster, rather, just goes to show that no matter what changes Apple makes, they can never please everyone.....

They could do a lot better if they listened to and responded to issues like this instead of throwing the Great Wall of Apple up.
  • Reply 19 of 32
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Hehe... no offence taken. I was just hoping that I was reading it wrong.

Surely Apple would have thought about these scenarios...

• Reply 20 of 32
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Great, I'd been holding off on using iCloud until they fixed this egregious bit of bad design. I still don't trust Apple to get the Internet right, they are not good at it yet, but I might start using iCloud, especially since I'm sure they'll force me to eventually.

Sure Apple has their faults, but they have plenty of iCloud aspects dead on. I'd like to hear how address book, reminders, bookmarks, and calendars are screwed up.

Heres the great part about iCloud (which you have a negative opinion on- even though you haven't used it)- you can turn features OFF!!! So if you hate it, you don't have to live with it. Go figure....