Verizon soaking high end Android buyers to make up for iPhone subsidies

Comments

• Reply 201 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splif View Post

What you see is a business decision: to go with what makes that business a profit. Apple has proven itself.

So is Google, Microsoft, Exxon etc. (some are more profitable). His question would still stand, what does the article try to point out that is new? Aside from straw man picking and trying to convince people that Android phones are more expensive in comparison to Apple phones (which is still can't get over as being completely unsubstantiated and made up).
  • Reply 202 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

No, they're really really not. Of all the misstatements you've made this is the most blatant falsehood. Apple absolutely owns profitability in the smartphone market. You say "market share is all people care about." Oh? You can't take spend marketshare. You spend profit. And Apple has it. All of it. The reason you're here posting on AI instead of running your own company is because you don't have the basic business sense to realize this.

Apple hardly has 'all of it'. Being a profitable company does not necessarily mean they are the most profitable cell phone manufacture. People really need to stop trying to come to conclusions based on information that doesn't pertain to their actual conclusion.

For instance, only speaking in terms of smart phones, are we talking about profits generated from the sell of phones? the sale of advertisements on the phone/apps? the sale of apps/songs and other various items purchased through an e-store? the sale of the accessories? or simply the sale of the overall cell phone market profitability? Then after doing so, are you judging profit based on who has the highest number sold? or do we base this off the % of profit? i could sell 100k units and only walk away with a 1$ profit, but i could sell 1 unit and walk away with 500$, does that make one or the other more profitable?

In any case, Apple doesn't have 'all of it', otherwise we'd all own iPhones, all purchase songs/apps/etc through iTunes, and never need a single phone, accessory, or anything else to do with the phone other than Apple products.
  • Reply 203 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by henniman View Post

Same is my impression. Whenever I see those Android people I feel sorry for them. They pay crazy prices for phones, which lose 50% value within 3-4 months, are not upgraded to latest OS releases at all or many months too late. The UI is terrible, by any means, terrible.

Seeing a UI that ugly -fitting the ugly, uninspired look of their phones, reminds me that 60-70% of people really have no taste. Like with apparel, interior, arts, it's just like that. 60-70% of population are dumb and ugly, uninspired and though iPhones just will never reach market share > 40%. There has to be a phone for the failed people, for the ugly, for the tasteless. It's not bad, it's fine like it is. Because it allows some people to distinguish themselves. Beeing a phone for the masses is like being the TV show for the masses. You don't expect quality and taste there.

Apple should continue to address the people with taste. In most cases those are the people with the deep pockets. The relation between high profits and tasteful design is well clear. The iPhone once was the phone for the BETTER people. Now it certainly is the phone for the BEST people. iPhoners are certainly more intelligent and better looking than Androiders, a fact everyone can see in public. Just look at the people who carries what phone.

Also a fact that you never meet just ONE iPhone evangelist on an Android forum. Meanwhile its standard that Androiders populate iPhone forums and feel they have to spread their religion. Proof that these Androiders deeply feel their inferiority. So they have to compensate by bashing the phone of the successful and tasteful people.

But not our problem. Just keep spending 600$ for the top notch Android phones every 12 months, then selling them for 200$. Everyone needs some hobby.http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Aw, now don't start that crap. Apple has done so well as 'the computer for the rest of us' (and the phone too) precisely BECAUSE they are simple and straightforward to use.

Please don't reinforce the idea that only smart snobby people can appreciate and use them.

What I like best about Apple is they design the most elegant interface, but elegant in the sense that thes no need to make it complicated. As a lifetime office worker forced to use Windows I sure did appreciate coming home to the 'it just works!' philosopy of the Macs we had.

Japan used to have electronics 12 years ahead of us, liked to brag about latest phone features, but admitted they really didn't know how to use most of them. They have taken to Apples products too. The user experience is unpretentious. It doesn't get in the way. Now go do your work.
  • Reply 204 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

The subsidy happens between the carrier and the customer... not with Apple.

No one said otherwise.

Verizon is subsidizing iPhones by $450 but only subsidizing the Nexus Galaxy and other high-end Android phones by $350.

Carriers currently buy iPhones from Apple at a much higher price than they buy Android phones (which is part of the reason why Apple makes most of the profits in the smartphone business). The question is whether this can continue long term or will carriers try to bring down the iPhone subsidy to levels closer to Android phones?
  • Reply 205 of 238
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hellacool View Post

Criticize? Your lack of comprehension is astounding. Any point you attempt to make from this point forward is forever moot.

PS, since comprehension is a foreign concept for you, my view point never wavered nor shifted (prove it), it is just that your inability to read, process and then comprehend is clouded severly and then is spewed out into your posts.

Game. Set. Match.

When the troll hopelessly loses the picked argument using logic and debate, resort to abstractions and allegations, completely ignoring the content of posts responded to.

post 72

You argued business issues.

My response on business issues was post 172

Your post 180 suddenly said
    Quote:

about Apple's profits, what does that have to do with you the end user?

THAT was a very definite topic shift because you lost the bubble on business. It got followed up by my all but thanking you in post 188 for making my point for me. Then you go off on a rant against women in general, your wife and daughter in particular, saying in your words "they don't want to try anything new". WTF did that have to do with business? But to ignore that wild detour would be remiss, because then you toss me the BIG BONE saying
    Quote:

What they have works and they will continue to buy iPhone.

If it works so well they continue to want it, how is it that the usability is so poor that we all overpay for it? You completely contradicted yourself in the span of 10 sentences. Then somehow you turn that into
    Quote:

But come here and everyone gets their feelings hurt.

Really? We get our feelings hurt? Are our feeling hurt so badly that your superpower of Total Empathy makes it impossible for you to write a self reinforcing paragraph? And to top that it broke your ability to judge comprehension?

In you own words buck-o, in your own words...

And yes, we wuv you too!!!!! <3
  • Reply 206 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Game. Set. Match.

Hey, I want partial credit for that; I called it before his first post in this thread. In fact, his first post was in response to me? calling? it.

Okay, this may all have been my fault.
  • Reply 207 of 238
    Quote:

Since your Google is broken:

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/news...updates-first/

The top phones are highend models. I love the assumption the only Android phones selling are cheapo flip phones.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393546,00.asp

How can that be?????

Are you accounting for skew in your conclusion? Browser hits would not correspond to market share if, for examples, users of one device are less likely to use the web than owners of a different device.

Since data plans are so expensive these days (exceptions to this observation are few), I suspect budget oriented consumers, or those who dont take public transit and thus don't surf a lot on cellular networks, may be under-represented in "top 10 android devices by traffic".
  • Reply 208 of 238
    Quote:

Game. Set. Match.

When the troll hopelessly loses the picked argument using logic and debate, resort to abstractions and allegations, completely ignoring the content of posts responded to.

post 72

You argued business issues.

My response on business issues was post 172

Your post 180 suddenly said

THAT was a very definite topic shift because you lost the bubble on business. It got followed up by my all but thanking you in post 188 for making my point for me. Then you go off on a rant against women in general, your wife and daughter in particular, saying in your words "they don't want to try anything new". WTF did that have to do with business? But to ignore that wild detour would be remiss, because then you toss me the BIG BONE saying If it works so well they continue to want it, how is it that the usability is so poor that we all overpay for it? You completely contradicted yourself in the span of 10 sentences. Then somehow you turn that into

Really? We get our feelings hurt? Are our feeling hurt so badly that your superpower of Total Empathy makes it impossible for you to write a self reinforcing paragraph? And to top that it broke your ability to judge comprehension?

In you own words buck-o, in your own words...

And yes, we wuv you too!!!!! <3

Go back, re-read, take a breath, comprehend then post. Because apparently you did none of this. Just because you fail at simple comprehension or understanding does not make you right. Partially reading something and then forming an inaccurate opinion makes you look foolish.
  • Reply 209 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, I want partial credit for that; I called it before his first post in this thread. In fact, his first post was in response to me… calling… it.

Okay, this may all have been my fault.

Loo at me look at me. I envision the little dog jumping up at the bigger dog, hey spike, hey spike. Embarrasing.
  • Reply 210 of 238
    The Verizon Galaxy Nexus is a 32Gb 4G LTE 720p phone. The 32Gb 3G iPhone costs the same $299 at Verizon stores, but you CAN NOT get it at Amazon for $150. And still is only 3G. So in comparison, the Galaxy Nexus is $150 cheaper than the iPhone4S and you get 720p and 4G LTE .
  • Reply 211 of 238
    The Galaxy Nexus is a 32Gb phone and has 4G LTE and 720p to boot. Last I looked the 32Gb iPhone4S is also $299 and is only 3G and does not have 720p. So the whole article is garbage.
  • Reply 212 of 238
    Quote:

Loo at me look at me. I envision the little dog jumping up at the bigger dog, hey spike, hey spike. Embarrasing.

Yeah, I'm gonna need two things from you. The first is a request for that post to be deleted. The second is one tenth of an apology. You already got in trouble for doing what you've done here; it's probably not smart to get in trouble again for doing something else, eh?
  • Reply 213 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryV View Post

The Galaxy Nexus is a 32Gb phone and has 4G LTE and 720p to boot. Last I looked the 32Gb iPhone4S is also $299 and is only 3G and does not have 720p. So the whole article is garbage.

Why? Filler.
  • Reply 214 of 238
    Quote:

Go back, re-read, take a breath, comprehend then post. Because apparently you did none of this. Just because you fail at simple comprehension or understanding does not make you right. Partially reading something and then forming an inaccurate opinion makes you look foolish.

No content, no specifics. You play the I give up card and then resort to name calling. Still played straight out of the troll book. You have to do much better if you are going to debate.

You aren't debating right now, you are merely sulking because there is no way out of the logical hole you dug yourself. Tough.
  • Reply 215 of 238
    Quote:

No content, no specifics. You play the I give up card and then resort to make calling. Still played straight out of the troll book. You have to do much better if you are going to debate.

You aren't debating right now, you are merely sulking because there is no way out of the logical hole you dug yourself. Tough.

Not sure what "make calling" is. Goes back to my original statement, failure to comprehend, read what is written, all the makings of failure. You continue to prove my point.
  • Reply 216 of 238
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

It has no 720p your right, but it has 1080p.

J.
  • Reply 217 of 238
    Quote:

Not sure what "make calling" is. Goes back to my original statement, failure to comprehend, read what is written, all the makings of failure. You continue to prove my point.

That's useful, resort to using the typo as your only debate tactic. No fight left in you anymore, just childish nyah-nyah style whinghing. Face it you are out of ideas, out of time and totally out classed.

Got any content or are you going to continue with the thinly veiled ad homs? I'm plenty ready to answer and debate the thread topic, are you?
  • Reply 218 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

It has no 720p your right, but it has 1080p.

J.

Galaxy Nexus has 1280x720 or 50% more resolution than the iPhone4/4S 960x640
  • Reply 219 of 238
    Quote:

Galaxy Nexus has 1280x720 or 50% more resolution than the iPhone4/4S 960x640

Not the point he was making. Also, resolution doesn't matter as much as DPI.
  • Reply 220 of 238
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not the point he was making. Also, resolution doesn't matter as much as DPI.

I was hoping you were stepping in to calm down the two who have decided to make this a personal fight rather than adding anything more of value.\