Apple gains ground while Android pushes to 50% share of US market

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

No it is more like... "Mommy, Jimmy said a swear word."

No one is being forced to read his posts. However unpopular his comments are, he does not make any personal attacks as far as I know. Maybe he is a troll, maybe a paid shill, maybe just delusional. It is the people who think they need to offer a rebuttal to his comments who are clueless. Maybe you should put them all on your ignore list.

But we're hearing the swear words. We're seeing his posts. Even if you ignore the user you still his posts every time another replies to them. I don't think a personal attack is the only way to get banned. He's purposely writing in order to jack the thread, to keep it off topic. There is precedence for banning based on that criteria. On top of that, all he's doing is parroting the same BS rhetoric over again which gets new posters setting the record straight on each new thread he posts. That's trolling and it should be stopped. He's not stating an opinion. He's not part of the discussion. His purpose is to ruin an otherwise useful discussion.
  • Reply 82 of 100
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Even if you ignore the user you still [see] his posts every time another replies to them.

That is a software issue.

Code:

[QUOTE=Slappy;000000]

The way the forum software should work is that if it sees the QUOTE= is on your ignore list it should hide it.
  • Reply 83 of 100
    [QUOTE=mstone;2017091]That is a software issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slappy View Post

The way the forum software should work is that if it sees the QUOTE= is on your ignore list it should hide it.

^ this!

Too bad no one can read that I agree with you. Someone will have to quote me.
  • Reply 84 of 100
    This is the problem with forum sites such as AI. The users react vehemently to posters that presents true facts that are not complimentary to their favorite brand. Rather than accept the fact as is, they scream and shout for a ban. What I quoted is true. In fact it's direct from the AI article. Accept it and move on. As far as retail outlets, you can't even begin to count the number of locations Android products are available. It simply dwarfs Apple. That is the very reason why there is a huge disparity with product launches. Why Apple fans are unable to grasps that is mind boggling.
  • Reply 85 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's exactly what he is. He's a hit and run con artist.

Notice that he logged off immediately after posting his one post in this thread.

And the next twenty posts were people taking the bait to tell him he's wrong.

I don't like that at all.

I have a busy schedule. I don't have the time to stay connected several hours a day. What's wrong with that behaviour?
  • Reply 86 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Really depends on what developers are making on the platform. If Android has 50 percent marketshare, and Apple has 30 percent, but every Apple user downloads 3 times more apps per user than an Android user, then Apple is the winning platform, as developers will gravitate towards selling more of their apps, and could care less how many phones are activated.

Furthermore, a fragmented Android platform will make things even less profitable and more laborous for the developer. At theend of the day, the developer will determine the success or death of either platform. No infrastructure, no profits.

The Android demographic will remain the same when flooding the market with low cost phones, and this will be problematic from a host of standpoints.

We developers are already on the iPhone. We don't need to gravitate towards the iPhone, at this stage all developers interested in mobile have already released iPhone apps. To expand and increase profits we need to add extra platforms (primarily Android). Sure the average iPhone user installs more apps than the average Android user, but releasing on multiple platforms does result in more revenue and profits than a single platform.
  • Reply 87 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

I have a busy schedule. I don't have the time to stay connected several hours a day. What's wrong with that behaviour?

Nothing. The behavior itself is what's questionable.
  • Reply 88 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

We developers are already on the iPhone. We don't need to gravitate towards the iPhone, at this stage all developers interested in mobile have already released iPhone apps. To expand and increase profits we need to add extra platforms (primarily Android). Sure the average iPhone user installs more apps than the average Android user, but releasing on multiple platforms does result in more revenue and profits than a single platform.

At AI business school we have learned that this is a doomed business model. You should be developing software and giving it away then rely on the gullibility of your customer and reap in coin from tricking them into clicking on ads and mining their purchase, searching and browsing habits. Revenue!? Profit!!? FEH!

• Reply 89 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Mac : growing indeed

ipods : Flat

Phones : Pretty much flat, went down in Q3 but will get back up in Q4.

Apple's market share growth may be flat when compared with every other company... but Apple is selling the most phones it has ever has.

I don't think they are worried.
  • Reply 90 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Apple's market share growth may be flat when compared with every other company... but Apple is selling the most phones it has ever has.

I don't think they are worried.

Agreed, plus I believe that iPhone 5 sales will be very strong due to the fact that a lot of people only bought Androids a couple years ago because Apple was ATT only and a lot of those people will be looking in Apple's direction this year. Somehow I have a feeling a lot of them had mediocre experiences with the early model Android phones.
  • Reply 91 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slow Cheetah View Post

?iPhone 5?

Quote:

?a lot of people only bought Androids a couple years ago because Apple was ATT only?

I keep forgetting that it hasn't been two years since the Verizon iPhone came out. All those two year contracts will be expiring and then?
  • Reply 92 of 100
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

More revenue? Yes (usually, although there are exceptions).

More profit? Only if the additional revenue is greater than the additional cost - which does not appear to be the case for every developer.
  • Reply 93 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

More revenue? Yes (usually, although there are exceptions).

More profit? Only if the additional revenue is greater than the additional cost - which does not appear to be the case for every developer.

The additional cost is actually pretty low, especially if you do proper multiplatform development rather than porting the title after the fact. Most dev work is common across platforms, so it doesn't take that many sales on additional platforms to be profitable

iOS is going to remain the lead platform; however, if you are not targeting both iOS and Androd you are leaving money on the table.
  • Reply 94 of 100
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

Not at all. Remember most of the android phones are simple dumb phones, that only make calls or send texts. If you look at any individual handset and compare it to even Apples 2 year old 3GS, they can't even come close.

Oh really?

In India, the range of Android phones starts with 7500 INR (Indian National Rupees). That's approx 140 US Dollars. This is the price of Samsung Galaxy Y. Here's something to think about that it's contract free. In India there's no market of contract phones. All handsets come factory unlocked.

Now Galaxy Y comes with Gingerbread, 823 MHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, Touchwiz UI, 3G connectivity & memory which could be expanded to 32 GB. It supports all those games like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc. I agree that Android market is not yet rich with quality apps like App Store but Galaxy Y can be considered as smartphone not just a mere phone with calling & messaging capabilities.

While if anyone wishes to purchase the entry level iPhone which is currently iP3GS then they have to shell out 20,000 INR which is approximately $377. And if anyone in their healthy & stable minds wish to purchase factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16 GB then price is whopping $840. So it's obvious that Android market will always have the larger chunk of market share. Key thing is that how much money these OEMs make? Here Apple has the upper hand.
  • Reply 95 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hari5 View Post

Oh really?

In India, the range of Android phones starts with 7500 INR (Indian National Rupees). That's approx 140 US Dollars. This is the price of Samsung Galaxy Y. Here's something to think about that it's contract free. In India there's no market of contract phones. All handsets come factory unlocked.

Now Galaxy Y comes with Gingerbread, 823 MHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, Touchwiz UI, 3G connectivity & memory which could be expanded to 32 GB. It supports all those games like Fruit Ninja, Angry Birds etc. I agree that Android market is not yet rich with quality apps like App Store but Galaxy Y can be considered as smartphone not just a mere phone with calling & messaging capabilities.

While if anyone wishes to purchase the entry level iPhone which is currently iP3GS then they have to shell out 20,000 INR which is approximately $377. And if anyone in their healthy & stable minds wish to purchase factory unlocked iPhone 4S 16 GB then price is whopping $840. So it's obvious that Android market will always have the larger chunk of market share. Key thing is that how much money these OEMs make? Here Apple has the upper hand.

The thing is, to use a smartphone properly you usually need some sort of data plan, lower priced Android phones are on lower plans with an additional cost for data.

People who are attracted to such plans in the first place are often loathe to pay any extra.

Which is why you will often see Android phones used as dumb phones (calls and text only) in countries where contracts and subsidised phones are common.
  • Reply 96 of 100
    hari5hari5 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

The thing is, to use a smartphone properly you usually need some sort of data plan, lower priced Android phones are on lower plans with an additional cost for data.

People who are attracted to such plans in the first place are often loathe to pay any extra.

Which is why you will often see Android phones used as dumb phones (calls and text only) in countries where contracts and subsidised phones are common.

I am not much aware of data plans of countries where contracts and subsidized phones are common but put aside the US market for a while and talk about India which is world's second largest mobile phone market and China which is world's largest mobile phone market. In both of these countries, majority of people have prepaid connections and in these countries major cell phones are being sold in factory unlocked rates not in subsidized rates.

Currently as of Oct 2011, India & China have 881 Million & 951 Million number of mobile phones respectively (The United States has 327M mobile phones which is third largest). Recently China has also become the world's largest smartphone market by volume after it overtook the US in the third quarter. Obviously Android have major chunk of market share in these countries due to availability of low cost value for money handsets.

In pre-paid connection data plans are not at all costly. In India post-paid data plans are more costly compared to the pre-paid ones. Oddly call rates are higher in pre-paid plans compared to post-paid plans so we certainly can not say that Android phones are being used for calling & messaging compatibility only.
  • Reply 97 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    A quick update to the Comscore smartphone marketshare report from December. The first quarter results were just published yesterday.

-Symbian: Down another tad, pulling just 1.5%

-Microsoft: Surprising to me, losing another 1% and now just 4.4% of smartphones

-RIM: No surprise here, down another 2% to 15.2%

-Apple: The 4S is an obvious success contributing to a 1.4% increase and 29.5 share

-Android: A bit of a surprise here IMO. They still did half again over Apple's increase with a 2.3% improvement to increase it's share to 48.6% of the current market in smartphones. Personally I felt Apple's 4S would push Android's increase even lower. There wasn't much in the way of high profile Android launches the past couple of months. That will probably change over the next 90 days with new quad-core's and feature roll-outs anticipated.

As far as individual performers, "ComScore also found that Samsung was the No. 1 smartphone maker, showing 25 percent. That was followed by 19.7 percent for LG; 13.2 percent for Motorola; 12.8 percent for Apple; and 6.6 percent for RIM."

Congrats to Apple in this last category as they were the only major smartphone provider (about 23% of the market is unaccounted for) to show an increase for the last quarter.
  • Reply 98 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A quick update to the Comscore smartphone marketshare report from December. The first quarter results were just published yesterday.

-Symbian: Down another tad, pulling just 1.5%

-Microsoft: Surprising to me, losing another 1% and now just 4.4% of smartphones

-RIM: No surprise here, down another 2% to 15.2%

-Apple: The 4S is an obvious success contributing to a 1.4% increase and 29.5 share

-Android: A bit of a surprise here IMO. They still did half again over Apple's increase with a 2.3% improvement to increase it's share to 48.6% of the current market in smartphones. Personally I felt Apple's 4S would push Android's increase even lower. There wasn't much in the way of high profile Android launches the past couple of months. That will probably change over the next 90 days with new quad-core's and feature roll-outs anticipated.

As far as individual performers, "ComScore also found that Samsung was the No. 1 smartphone maker, showing 25 percent. That was followed by 19.7 percent for LG; 13.2 percent for Motorola; 12.8 percent for Apple; and 6.6 percent for RIM."

Congrats to Apple in this last category as they were the only major smartphone provider (about 23% of the market is unaccounted for) to show an increase for the last quarter.

Nice post. Thanks for the info.

MS is surprising which make me wonder what they would be doing if they still only had WinMo, not WinPh.

I don't find Android outpacing iOS for iPhone surprising as it's not the high-profile Android launches that account for the bulk of Android-based smartphones, unlike the high-profile iPhone launches that do account for the bulk of iOS-based launches. To wit, we're talking about a lot of feature phones for Android as far I can tell.

Are these numbers for the world (or most of it) or for the US only? If the US then the iOS and Android numbers are really surprising considering Verizon noted 50% of smartphone sales were iPhone and on AT&T 80% of smartphone sales were iPhones.

As for showing an increase for the last quarter, that is expected since they do only have one release per year. The real measure is how they average over the entire year.
  • Reply 99 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,594member
    Quote:

Nice post. Thanks for the info.

MS is surprising which make me wonder what they would be doing if they still only had WinMo, not WinPh.

I don't find Android outpacing iOS for iPhone surprising as it's not the high-profile Android launches that account for the bulk of Android-based smartphones, unlike the high-profile iPhone launches that do account for the bulk of iOS-based launches. To wit, we're talking about a lot of feature phones for Android as far I can tell.

No, these were smartphone numbers only.

Quote:

Are these numbers for the world (or most of it) or for the US only? If the US then the iOS and Android numbers are really surprising considering Verizon noted 50% of smartphone sales were iPhone and on AT&T 80% of smartphone sales were iPhones.

I believe these percentages are for the US.
  • Reply 100 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I believe these percentages are for the US.

Yeah, just seeing they are for the US at Asymco. Nice graphs: