Jailbreakers hack iOS on Apple TV to run full-screen iPad apps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not a big deal but you are wrong about this. A warranty is entirely up to the company and has nothing to do with "the law" per se. They write the warranty, they get to say what's in it and what's not in it. Period.

If Apple wants to void your warranty for jail breaking and if said clause is actually in the warranty when you buy the product then that's it. There is no law that they have to provide a warranty in any certain way, except if they are breaking some other law in the process. It's entirely up to the company.

Indeed. Apple is not suppose to cover your device if you drop it and yet they replaced my ipad2 for free after my wife broke it. Attitude and maybe the fact I own lots of Apple hardware could play a role. BTW if they would not had replace it for free I would still had 50% off the regular price for a replacement unit. The bill showed the replacement unit at 300$ for a 32g ipad2.
  • Reply 42 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I can't see many useful apps coming until they get the interaction right. People have been experimenting with these concepts and you can see how you would be able to translate iOS apps into that method of interaction ...

Excellent post, but I disagree with the above.

If you are talking game apps or apps that need text input then maybe, but there are lots of apps they could use to improve the current Apple TV experience right now.

As a major user of AppleTV (It's the only thing I have connected to my TV at all), I can say that simply having a field of apps to click instead of the tedious "menu within menu" aspect of the current UI would be a huge improvement. It can take as many as twenty or thirty clicks to get from one part of the AppleTV UI to another sometimes (I've counted). It also contains links on the menus to scads of stuff that I have no interest in at all like MLB (ugh!) and a few others that you have to click by to get to something you do want to see.

If they simply changed the menus into a field of app buttons and let us delete the buttons/apps we don't want to see, it would improve things a lot and I would definitely pay for that upgrade.
  • Reply 43 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.

Don't remember the Pippin, do you?

There's no way that a game console is a good idea.

You are still thinking of it in the current PS3/360 platform terms. By leveraging its iOS developers Apple TV/game won't compete directly with them. It won't need the big studios. Of course "hardcore" gamers and the media will dismiss it in some way.
  • Reply 44 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I could think of a few that I would like as widgets. Of course Lion screwed up the widgets since they go to a new screen instead of overlaying the desktop.

if you go into System Preferences>Mission Control you can change this behavior, there is a checkbox to "show dashboard as its own desktop" just take the check out.

EE
  • Reply 45 of 108
    1. Full TV set (LED or LCD?) or separate box, or both?

2. App store, gaming apps?

3. Built in IPTV support (U-verse)?

4. Built in broadcast QAM support (Cable/sat)?

6. ATSC tuner?

5. PvR on the device, on a net drive via wi-fi, in the cloud, on connected USB drive, or not at all?

6. Webcam?

Personally I think they will support IPTV since even cable is going to drop broadcast QAM for IPTV at some point. Those old QAM set-top box are still using MPEG-2 compression. I have IPTV which is using MP4 compression and image quality is spectacular. Also since its a stream there is plenty of bandwidth on the line to avoid pixel artifacts on action scenes.

Apple could own Google here if they start replacing the IPTV Motorola set-top box for Apple box or Apple TV sets. Cant wait to see what they will do.
  • Reply 46 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Poll

Sounds like a good idea:

1. Same thing as now but with an A6 chip and the ability to plug an iTunes Library-formatted hard drive/NAS into it without frigging iTunes being open on a computer that is running.

2. No, more along the lines of my earlier idea, I think.

3. I don't think so.

4. I don't think so.

5. Yeah, hard drive capability as previously outlined.

6. ? It's a television box? You really want to be videoconferencing in your Lay-z-boy with Cheetos dust all down your front and fingers?
  • Reply 47 of 108
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Jailbreakers are not good for the Apple community n any way.

It was people jail breaking the original iPhone so it could run home brew apps that convinced Apple to create the AppStore instead of the web apps that Apple originally tried to convince developers to create. Hopefully the ability to run iOS apps on the AppleTV will have a similar affect and convince Apple to create an official AppleTV AppStore.
  • Reply 48 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

It was people jail breaking… …that convinced Apple to create the AppStore…

No, it wasn't.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    Quote:

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.

There's no way that a game console is a good idea.

Disagree. Games are a great idea.

The big console developers would have no problems adding yet another SKU. Publishers like EA already release games on every gaming platform available.

Major titles from big publishers would help sell the AppleTV. Right now Apple is having a hard time convincing consumers why they need an AppleTV. But games are well understood. It is much easier to convince someone to buy an AppleTV if you can say it plays Call of Duty, GTA and Madden than by explaining AirPlay.
  • Reply 50 of 108
    Quote:

Sounds like a good idea:

1. Same thing as now but with an A6 chip and the ability to plug an iTunes Library-formatted hard drive/NAS into it without frigging iTunes being open on a computer that is running.

2. No, more along the lines of my earlier idea, I think.

3. I don't think so.

4. I don't think so.

5. Yeah, hard drive capability as previously outlined.

6. … It's a television box… You really want to be videoconferencing in your Lay-z-boy with Cheetos dust all down your front and fingers?

That would be a nice evolution of the actual ATV but I hope they do more than that and really enter the TV and set-top box market. On the other hand if they come up with a big thing and are in discussion with cable or AT&T they sure are doing everything to keep it super secret and avoid leaks to Google who now owns Motorola (which is making both QAM and IPTV box). I think I better shut-up about those features.

I fully expect Motorola to drop windows CE and come up with new firmware using an Android kernel and android apps. Google already has a foot inside the TV market with Motorola, its just a matter of time before they take it over. Google is in discussion with TV set manufacturers to build in Android in TV sets so Google will soon be a player in both the TV sets and set-top boxes. Apple need to move this year or lose it. In fact Apple should had move in 2011.

omg I just convince myself to buy some Google stocks. Even if Apple moves in, I think there is room for both. I hope Microsoft moves in also to keep that market segmented.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Quote:

Disagree. Games are a great idea.

Apple couldn't care less about games. They never have.

How will it be controlled?

Buttons? Ha! No. That's 80s tech.

Your body? Microsoft has all the Kinect tech now.

A touchscreen controller? Nintendo has that stuff now, and even though they would be absolutely rolling in money if they were bought by Apple or if they licensed their franchises to iOS and OS X, Nintendo won't ever do that.

So what does that leave Apple? The only other revolutionary method is via your brain, but we're 20 years away from anything even remotely resembling usable tech in that field.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member
    Quote:

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

^^^this, just this, only this, absolutely this
  • Reply 53 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umumum View Post

^^^this, just this, only this, absolutely this

Look at the mac app store, its full of iPad ports...

So we kind of already have iOS apps on the Mac and as a bonus you need to pay for them all over again if you want them.

I am currently playing Gameloft Greenfarm on my Mac I like it better on the Mac than on the iPad.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post

i can't imagine somebody burning down my neighbors house or other heinous crimes not getting your dander up.

not even for people who you don't know or will ever know. a blanket "no feelings or revenge" message will never happen. forgive and let live statements are great until they affect your morality despite having no contact.

temporarily forget about humans. just think about animal cruelty. michael vick got away free, basically.

W T F

Try having a sense of perspective. I think you've totally lost yours. All these comparisons, compared to software.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    Quote:

No, it wasn't.

I think you are forgetting that for twelve months after the iPhone was released the only way to run native apps was to jailbreak the phone. Steve Jobs was initially in favor of web apps. It was jail breaking and home brew apps that really demonstrated the demand for native apps.

Quote:

Apple couldn't care less about games. They never have

And because of this Apple is losing the battle for the living room. The AppleTV needs a system selling feature such as gaming or it will remain a hobby.
  • Reply 56 of 108
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    First day of the new year of the Julian calander.

First AI article of the year.

First post of the year and ConradJoe has to ruin it with an asinine statement.

Awesome¡
  • Reply 57 of 108
    Quote:

And because of this Apple is losing the battle for the living room. The AppleTV needs a system selling feature such as gaming or it will remain a hobby.

indeed. 2012 is Apple last chance before Android take that market.

Google announced new android TV's for summer 2012.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/07/g...st-new-tvs-by/

Some countries already have them:

http://www.netup.tv/en-EN/android-integrated-tv-set.php
  • Reply 58 of 108
    Quote:

I think you are forgetting that for twelve months after the iPhone was released the only way to run native apps was to jailbreak the phone.

Not in the slightest. I think YOU'RE forgetting that during that time, the functionality required for secondary Home Screens to exist was already built into the OS. Apple had it planned from the beginning.

Quote:

Steve Jobs was initially in favor of web apps.

On stage.

Quote:

It was jail breaking and home brew apps that really demonstrated the demand for native apps.

Sure they did.

Quote:

The AppleTV needs a system selling feature such as gaming or it will remain a hobby.

Just like the… I'm trying to think of a system in the "battle for the living room" that does both video content and gaming. And I can't. Because there isn't one.

You can't get games on your DVR and you can't view broadcast content on your Wii/PS3/360.
  • Reply 59 of 108
    inkswampinkswamp Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Not in the slightest. I think YOU'RE forgetting that during that time, the functionality required for secondary Home Screens to exist was already built into the OS. Apple had it planned from the beginning.

Webapps can be saved to the home screen as icons which launch as their own process separate from Safari. All that infrastructure for Webapps is built-in to iOS to this day (and woefully underused, IMO. Apple did an amazing job with it, and it's something Android still can't do to this day.) If you're arguing that additional home screens is somehow evidence that Apple wasn't committed to Webapps, you're wrong. Webapp developers can include directives in their app for custom homescreen icons, thus the need for multiple home screens. Go look into the documentation for creating Webapps in iOS. You might be amazed at how much cool stuff Apple has in place for it.
  • Reply 60 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

If you're arguing that additional home screens is somehow evidence that Apple wasn't committed to Webapps, you're wrong.

Since the ability to use different home screens was available before you could save web apps TO the Springboard, I do argue this.