Apple set to announce likely its best quarter ever on January 24

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Apple on Wednesday confirmed that it will report its fiscal first-quarter earnings on Tuesday, Jan. 24, when it will reveal the results of the iPhone 4S launch and holiday shopping season.

Officials at Apple already projected during their last quarterly earnings conference call in October that they were "confident" they would set new company records for both the iPhone and iPad in the just-concluded September quarter. The existing records are 20.3 million iPhones and 11.2 million iPads.

The December quarter represents not only the holiday buying season, but also the launch quarter for the iPhone 4S. During the quarter, Apple initiated its fastest iPhone roll-out yet, debuting the handset in the U.S., U.K., Japan, Hong Kong, India, and even Russia, Brazil and Taiwan late in the quarter.

Current expectations on Wall Street call for Apple to report profits of $9.83 billion on revenue of $38.16 billion. A total of 46 analysts polled skew as high as $10.74 billion and as low as $8.88 billion in their predicted revenue.

Recent rumors have suggested Apple's earnings report won't be the company's only public newsworthy event later this month. Apple is also said to be gearing up for a press conference in New York City where a publishing-related announcement pertaining to education is expected to occur.

As usual, AppleInsider will have live, extensive coverage of Apple's earnings report and conference call when they occur on Jan. 24.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    And the stock market will do what regarding AAPL I wonder ...?
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Apple could sell 40 million iPhones, 6 million Macs but announce that they sold only 12 million iPads and it would tank the stock.
  • Reply 3 of 64
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Yea it's pretty disgusting how undervalued APPL is. I hate fraud.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well usually the stock takes a dive, the better the news the worse the dive.

I'm not sure how good news makes the stock holders sell, I guess many are simply retarded.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'm not sure how good news makes the stock holders sell, I guess many are simply retarded.

Come on people, cheer me up don't agree with me!
  • Reply 6 of 64
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!

</s>
  • Reply 7 of 64
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Yea it's pretty disgusting how undervalued APPL is. I hate fraud.

It isn't fraud, just people taking a wait-and-see attitude after last quarter's earnings "miss," and Steve's death. The former should be resolved in three weeks, but the latter is going to take a year or two to fully flush out.

So, if you have faith in the company, part shoUld be paid off at the announcement, and part longer term.

...or, apple will stumble, justifying the current valuation.

(My bet is that they will guide to $10EPS for Q2! Which in a rational world Would pop them right close to $480.)
  • Reply 8 of 64
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

History does not support that observation, although I understand it's gratifying to be cynical.

[QUOTE=saarek;2019178

I guess many are simply retarded.

[/QUOTE]

How does that make you look intelligent or enlightened?
  • Reply 9 of 64
    It's a shame that record earnings doesn't help boost Apple share price to any degree. The bulls will again be disappointed when hardly any investors purchase Apple stock around earnings. Analysts continue to boost target prices but the share price barely moves. At least Apple shares today aren't down as much as most tech stocks, so I guess I should consider myself lucky that Apple shares have stayed over $400 for a week or so which is somewhat satisfactory. The last few times Apple hit over $400, it dropped like a stone after a couple of days. $450 a share seems very far off and $500 is nearly impossible. Despite what the Apple bulls say, I'll take my $450 and be grateful for that much.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

It isn't fraud, just people taking a wait-and-see attitude after last quarter's earnings "miss," and Steve's death. The former should be resolved in three weeks, but the latter is going to take a year or two to fully flush out.

So, if you have faith in the company, part shoUld be paid off at the announcement, and part longer term.

...or, apple will stumble, justifying the current valuation.

(My bet is that they will guide to $10EPS for Q2! Which in a rational world Would pop them right close to $480.)

I disagree with the bolded. Apple's P/E multiple has been far lower than peer companies for years.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The existing records are 20.3 million iPhones...

Interesting to see how they go against Samsung.

Just in! Samsung Galaxy S II is top selling phone in the UK this year. A single phone released in May outsold any single iPhone for the year - even the iPhone 4 which was available all year. This single phone also outsold the iPhone 4S in December in the UK.

The top selling devices in the UK in December

Ist - Samsung Galaxy S II

2nd - iPhone 4S

3rd - Samsung Galaxy Ace

4th - HTC Wildfire S

5th - iPhone 4

In total 8 android phones in the top 10 for the Christmas rush.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobi...phone-of-2011/
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Just in! Samsung Galaxy S II is top selling phone in the UK this year. A single phone released in May outsold any single iPhone for the year - even the iPhone 4 which was available all year. This single phone also outsold the iPhone 4S in December in the UK.

2nd - iPhone 4S

3rd - Samsung Galaxy Ace

4th - HTC Wildfire S

5th - iPhone 4

Never mind... uSwitch.com is an "impartial" comparison and "switching" service.

I'll leave it up to everyone to come to their own conclusions.

[ Why do they list the 4S 16g and 4 16g as number 1 and number 3 of top ten selling phones on their mobile phone page? ]
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Never mind... uSwitch.com is an "impartial" comparison and "switching" service.

I'll leave it up to everyone to come to their own conclusions.

LOL. you changed your post as i was replying. Anyway in answer to your 'now unseen' question. No uSwitch makes up shit. It works things out by using "live sales and search data to rank handsets in order of popularity".
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

2nd - iPhone 4S

3rd - Samsung Galaxy Ace

4th - HTC Wildfire S

5th - iPhone 4

Since you are basing your shit on PC Advisor, I'll quote them

"Eight handsets in the top 10 run Android, demonstrating growing interest in Google's mobile platform, which recently overtook Apple as the dominant mobile platform."

Hmm, OK, if we forget about Symbian or RIM. Gota love how facts are so 2010. Maybe I should say 2011, when was it that Apple stated selling more smartphones than RIM?

Nairb, stop trolling or at least don't post links that make it clear you are a fool.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    On the bright side, AAPL has a very steady growth pattern over the last several years.

There are no big surprises and no fear of losses. Just no get-rich-quick jumps.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I disagree with the bolded. Apple's P/E multiple has been far lower than peer companies for years.

Lower than peers, yes. But, they were at least in the 20's until Steve took his medical leave. I'm not expecting anybody to value Apple's growth like Amazon's or Salesfarce, but at least in the 20's as a company with a long-term growth rate between 15 and 25%. That borders on possible at least.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Historically, Apple's share price goes up more than it goes down right after their earnings reports. But as with human nature, we tend to remember things we aren't happy with more than those that we are happy with, so we remember the times it went down more strongly.

One thing though, Apple's shares have tended to go down during the winter months for the past several years, while moving up Spring through December.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Lower than peers, yes. But, they were at least in the 20's until Steve took his medical leave. I'm not expecting anybody to value Apple's growth like Amazon's or Salesfarce, but at least in the 20's as a company with a long-term growth rate between 15 and 25%. That borders on possible at least.

I'm not too disappointed with Apple's share price. Look at the comparisons:

Dow Jones average up 5.5% for the year.

Standard and Poor's 500 was flat for the year, ending up almost exactly where it began, and

Nasdaq down 1.8% for the year while Apple was

UP 25.56%.

So yes, While the P/E, trailing, leading, etc were down, performance of the stock was very good. How many people can say their investments go up about 25-30% year after year?
  • Reply 19 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But as with human nature, we tend to remember things we aren't happy with more than those that we are happy with, so we remember the times it went down more strongly.

I think you are projecting. That might be your nature, but it is not the nature of all humans.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Historically, Apple's share price goes up more than it goes down right after their earnings reports. But as with human nature, we tend to remember things we aren't happy with more than those that we are happy with, so we remember the times it went down more strongly.

I think it might be an enduring myth that has been said so many times that others tend to believe it... no matter how many times you or the good Doctor point out the error each time it comes up.