Rumor: Apple to ship high-res 'iPad 3' in March, 'iPad 4' with new apps in October

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Rumors of two iPad model launches in the same calendar year were rekindled again on Friday, with a new, questionable report claiming Apple plans to debut a third-generation iPad in March, while an "iPad 4" will arrive in October of this year.

Citing component makers in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported on Friday that the so-called "iPad 3" will launch in March with a high-resolution Retina Display, like is found on the iPhone and iPod touch. That will be followed by an "iPad 4" with "killer applications" set to launch in October.

The report claimed that Apple is planning to launch the fourth iPad quickly in October to counter a rumored Google-branded tablet as well as touchscreen devices running Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system. The Taiwanese industry publication said the fourth iPad will feature "much upgraded hardware specifications and integrated applications so as to compete with an array of Android-, Wintel- or WoA (Windows on ARM)-based tablet PCs to be released in the fourth quarter."

As for the third-generation iPad, the report said it will feature a QXGA display with a resolution of 1,536-by-2,048 pixels. It will also sport longer battery life, but reportedly "may not be so amazing as expected."

Finally, the publication also reiterated belief that Apple will continue to sell the current iPad 2, but will drop its price to $399, much like Apple currently does with older iPhone models. Such a move is believed to be in an effort to counter lower priced tablets that are available, such as the Kindle Fire for $199.

Of course, Friday's report should be taken with a heavy dose of skepticism, as similar rumors surfaced numerous occasions last year that Apple planned to launch a third-generation iPad in 2011. That, of course, never came to be, and Apple stayed true to its promise of 2011 being the "Year of iPad 2."

In addition, DigiTimes has had a hit-or-miss track record with Apple-related rumors over the years. Just last week, the publication claimed Apple planned to unveil two new iPad models at the MacWorld | iWorld conference later this month, but those claims were quickly disputed by the well-sourced Jim Dalrymple at The Loop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 107
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    Why would Apple worry about countering some rumored Google tablet? They practically own the market and an iPad 3 release would only further that.
  • Reply 2 of 107
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.
  • Reply 3 of 107
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Must be the new year. Yet another rumor that two iPads will be released in the same calendar year. Just like they release two new iPhone models every year..... oh, wait. Well, at least they release two new models of each of the iPods every year.... oh, wait. iPad 3 will be released in Spring/Summer, iPhone will be released in Summer/Fall, iPods will fall somewhere in there, rinse and repeat for next year. Predictable unpredictability. That's what Apple is great at.
  • Reply 4 of 107
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Maybe it's time I stopped reading rumour sites...
  • Reply 5 of 107
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Did digitimes set up a template for this story last year so that they could just increment all of the relevant numbers (2011, 2, 3) by 1?

The only thing that I can imagine might be missing in a March iPad that could be added by October would be LTE.

If the iPad 3 is missing LTE, I'll probably buy a cheap iPad 2 to replace my aging iPad 1. The retina display doesn't do much for me (my retinas just aren't up to it), and the iPad2 has a plenty fast processor. If Apple were to add LTE in the fall, I would just sell the iPad 2 and buy the iPad3 with LTE at that time.

(note -- I realize that there are probably tons of people who really can tell the difference between a retina display and a non-retina display. I don't mean to suggest you can't, so don't flame me. I just really do have lame retinas -- it's a legit medical condition).
  • Reply 6 of 107
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The idea that Apple would release an iPad 4 in 2012 is so ridiculous that AppleInsider have tarnished their own credibility by republishing it.

They just want to get a head start on April 1.

Hint to AI editors: If the source is Digitimes, you can forget it. The odds of it being true are near zero. If it IS true, you'll get the same information from other sites.
  • Reply 7 of 107
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

My thoughts exactly ...
  • Reply 8 of 107
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As for the third-generation iPad, the report said it will feature a QXGA display with a resolution of 1,536-by-2,048 pixels. It will also sport longer battery life, but reportedly "may not be so amazing as expected."

What are the amazing expectations, other than a Retina display and faster processor? Most of the rest is more likely to come in the next iOS surely?
  • Reply 9 of 107
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

Yep, let the trolls have 'em. Trolls are the majority anyway. See AI and MacRumors for confirmation.
  • Reply 10 of 107
    801801 Posts: 271member
    I'm cutting way back on these sites. Apple has gotten so popular that these "rumors" have become a click bait cottage industry that have sullied the fun. Scoopertino is just as accurate and more fun.
  • Reply 11 of 107
    Urgh we get this same rumour for every iPhone or iPad now, not one being released but two? its always wrong though
  • Reply 12 of 107
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Yep, let the trolls have 'em. Trolls are the majority anyway. See AI and MacRumors for confirmation.

Trolls and shills, but only because they're allowed to.

AI would gain considerable respectability both by ignoring Digitimes rumors, and by simply banning a) people who's only point in posting is to say, "I knew this was a DED article from the headline," b) obvious trolls like the current slappy (seriously, what exactly is the point of not banning him?) and c) equally obvious shills like Gatorguy (I mean, I know he has to make a living, but not here, with his constant stream of innuendo, misinformation and outright lies).

Eventually, every forum goes into a death spiral when these people are allowed to poison it.
  • Reply 13 of 107
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Quote:

Trolls ruin all the great investigative reporting sites...
  • Reply 14 of 107
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I do wonder when Apple will be putting LTE in the iPad "3". March feels too soon... Perhaps the Oct rumor is just to swap out some guts.

Edit: I would be kinda cool if Apple would get the iPhone and iPad releases in sync.
  • Reply 15 of 107
    elmsleyelmsley Posts: 120member
    At least make it believable. Try iPad 3/iPad 3s.
  • Reply 16 of 107
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    AppleInsider, I'd like to request you never report an article from these jokers ever again.
  • Reply 17 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Trolls and shills, but only because they're allowed to.

AI would gain considerable respectability both by ignoring Digitimes rumors..

This site wouldn't even exist without constantly regurgitating rumors from others.
  • Reply 18 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Trolls ruin all the great investigative reporting sites...

Such as?
  • Reply 19 of 107
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:

Didn't used to be like that. Back in the day we only had one real troll here on AI, and he did a good job at it. Tekstud was one of those rare trolls that looked rather respectable compared to what we've got now. And I joined AI vs MacRumors specifically because of their more civil forums. I've only got enough time to invest in one forum, and this one is still my favorite/the best (if degrading over time - kinda like America, you know?).
  • Reply 20 of 107
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    This is the dumbest iPad rumor since the iPad 3 was supposedly coming out last fall with the doubled res screen.