Apple postpones China retail launch of iPhone 4S after unruly crowd rages in Beijing [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You have lived a sheltered life.

It should be noticeable on your very first bus/taxi/car ride in Southeast Asia. Those lines painted on the road? They're just a laughable suggestion at where you should place your vehicle, but nobody follows them.

Queuing up/standing in an orderly line is a tradition that is mostly restricted to English-speaking countries. Want to get into a bus in Italy? Just push forward when the doors open.

Bravo for the stereotype on italians. Have you actually been there?

That must explain why all those american tourists fail to understand the concept of letting people out of the train first, as I often see it.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    I lived in Italy for about six months in Tuscany, toured other regions for about six months. I am fluent in the language, so if I needed to call someone out, my ability to speak it never stopped me.

I used the Italians as an example, not to single them out as a stereotype.

Italians don't let other Italians off the train first. It's a free-for-all. As to your observation about American tourists failing to let other people out of the train first, it really comes down to those newbies who really haven't encountered the situation. The Americans who have little overseas experience will patiently stand in line and get annoyed because the locals just barge through.

The Italians are nowhere near the worst offenders. They realize that everyone will get aboard. The question is whether or not you will actually get a seat or if you will end up standing the entire Roma-Florence train ride. I usually had a reserved seat and if I ever got the brush off from someone in my reserved spot, it's easy to call over the conductor. "Signore, buon giorno. Ecco il mio biglietto e la prenotazione. Dov'e questa sedia?" A minute later, I would comfortably seated.

Even if I were aggressive enough to barge through and get an unreserved seat in such a throng, I'd probably quickly give up my spot to some little old lady.

Just chill out.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

I lived in Italy for about six months in Tuscany, toured other regions for about six months. I am fluent in the language, so if I needed to call someone out, my ability to speak it never stopped me.

I used the Italians as an example, not to single them out as a stereotype.

Italians don't let other Italians off the train first. It's a free-for-all. As to your observation about American tourists failing to let other people out of the train first, it really comes down to those newbies who really haven't encountered the situation. The Americans who have little overseas experience will patiently stand in line and get annoyed because the locals just barge through.

The Italians are nowhere near the worst offenders. They realize that everyone will get aboard. The question is whether or not you will actually get a seat or if you will end up standing the entire Roma-Florence train ride. I usually had a reserved seat and if I ever got the brush off from someone in my reserved spot, it's easy to call over the conductor. "Signore, buon giorno. Ecco la mia prenotazione. Dov'e questa sedia?" A minute later, I would comfortably seated.

Even if I were aggressive enough to barge through and get an unreserved seat in such a throng, I'd probably quickly give up my spot to some little old lady.

Just chill out.

Well, I'm sorry you had that negative experience, in my experience I never witnessed that EDIT not any more than any other country anyway. And if someone is on my seat, I just tell them to move.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Beijing SWAT team is now involved.

I'm hearing the launch has been cancelled for this particular store.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Chinese scalpers suck in New York, I personally witnessed that. And apparently, Chinese scalpers suck in China too.

Scalpers are lowlifes and it's no surprise that altercations break out between the lowlifes and the real Apple customers who are patiently waiting in line. These scumbags cut in line and try to bully their way to the front.

I'd like to see more altercations happening, with the outcome being that the scalpers end up getting the short end of the stick. Some of them belong in hospitals and not on an Apple line.

I remember here in Palo Alto, when I was buying my iPad 2 on launch day, a clean-cut white kid who's family is probably part of the 1% was walking around trying to sell a couple iPads to people waiting in line for $150 over MSRP, and he was even overtly rude about it, like we somehow owed it to him to buy it.

I haven't the SLIGHTEST doubt in my mind that if I had related this story to you outside of this context you would have called him a "young entrepreneur" or an equally fragile justification. But do you feel like this kid should be put in the hospital? I think he even had blue eyes for christ's sake, what a tragedy THAT would be!

This comment is racist, as are a few of your others, and I am surprised that there isn't any moderation, apparently, on this forum.

(For the record, I am an upper middle class white man.)
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patrickf View Post

I loved living in Korea very dearly, but china was especially unpleasant. I never want to go back there again.

Crudeness and rudeness and an uncouth disposition is a well-practiced art there. So much for 5,000 years of culture.

By US standards, my experience was the Chinese were incredibly rude and uncivil, at least in Beijing. While one could chalk it up to the aggressiveness and rudeness inherent in large city denizens, if I contrast it with the behavior of folks in Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, or Singapore it couldn't be more night and day.

While visiting China was an experience of unbelievable cultural opportunity and enrichment, I actually came away from my time there with a profoundly negative view of the Chinese of Beijing. I specify, because when I lived in Taipei I did not have the same experience, and I've been told that Chinese from other cities view Beijingers as particularly uncouth, but I don't have any data points to validate that. So, in my experience anyway, Beijingers are arguably the rudest people I've encountered in the 33 countries I've visited.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortarman View Post

By US standards, my experience was the Chinese were incredibly rude and uncivil, at least in Beijing. While one could chalk it up to the aggressiveness and rudeness inherent in large city denizens, if I contrast it with the behavior of folks in Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, or Singapore it couldn't be more night and day.

While visiting China was an experience of unbelievable cultural opportunity and enrichment, I actually came away from my time there with a profoundly negative view of the Chinese of Beijing. I specify, because when I lived in Taipei I did not have the same experience, and I've been told that Chinese from other cities view Beijingers as particularly uncouth, but I don't have any data points to validate that. So, in my experience anyway, Beijingers are arguably the rudest people I've encountered in the 33 countries I've visited.

It's not the people, it's the institution. Beijing is the capital of China, and it's basically a place in which rule of law means nothing, and only the strong (in terms of political influence) rule. That's why lot's of people there have no manner - because there's no incentive to have manner. If you're the strong one, you get whatever you want, no need to be nice. If you're the weak one, you have to 'look tough' by being rude and aggressive because that's the only thing left to defend yourself from the rulers.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

AppleInsider has reached out to Apple for comment on the status of the iPhone 4S launch in China, but has yet to hear back from the company.

Did this make anyone else laugh?

AI sounds so sensitive and caring in their approach to Apple! One corporate entity reaching out to another corporate entity.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    Yes, China is a crazy rude place when you are in a crowd. This is just a statement of fact not racism. One on one and in tamer situations though, I quite enjoy most Chinese folks. In some ways China seems to have an energy that reminds me of America from a generation or two ago, especially in the rural areas.

The rudeness of crowds is firmly embedded in China both from long standing cultural precedent (as demonstrated by rude crowds in Taiwan and other parts of Asia) and also more recently from the influence of totalitarian ideas (25 years ago crowds in mainland China were even worse.)

It has improved greatly over the years, but it will take a long time for old norms of behavior to change. The behavior of most of China now is more like that of the Hong Kongers of 20 years ago, which is a huge positive change in such a short time. I think most Chinese aspire to create a more civil society for themselves, as do most people in the world.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    for christ's sake, enlighten me how an altercation in waiting to buy an iPhone will change a culture?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I would think that this does not bode well for chinese culture in the long run.

• Reply 31 of 66
    every once a month, i went to a local book fair to buy some used books for cheap. for sure those printed objects are not favors to many ppl anymore, but their residual values lie on reselling them high by buying it cheap first. most young are late while early birds are most seniors. specially in the cold winter, it is a pity to see those seniors standing outside for the ticket to get in first. well, everything is pretty civil until the book fair door is open. you wanna me to continue to describe what is going to happen in that tiny small room?

you can come to see as i am in south bay. it is in one of the best places in bay area.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

Uh, Chinese are calm and Zen. That's a laugh. The Chinese are some of the rudest, pushiest, dirtiest people I have ever come across! Come spend a week out here with me in San Francisco, and you'll have a change of thought!

• Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

It should be noticeable on your very first bus/taxi/car ride in Southeast Asia. Those lines painted on the road? They're just a laughable suggestion at where you should place your vehicle, but nobody follows them.

Queuing up/standing in an orderly line is a tradition that is mostly restricted to English-speaking countries. Want to get into a bus in Italy? Just push forward when the doors open.

I can't speak for China, as I have never visited it, but your summary of traffic rules and civic sense perfectly describe India.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    holy shit, what are you? you think you are michael j. fox to time travel? were you in china 25 years ago? how the hell do you know things at that time? are you smoking joint? if you were in china 25 years ago, unless you are one of those pathetic low life chinese as you mentioned, you would not have a chance to deal those hassles as being a local chinese.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yes, China is a crazy rude place when you are in a crowd. This is just a statement of fact not racism. One on one and in tamer situations though, I quite enjoy most Chinese folks. In some ways China seems to have an energy that reminds me of America from a generation or two ago, especially in the rural areas.

The rudeness of crowds is firmly embedded in China both from long standing cultural precedent (as demonstrated by rude crowds in Taiwan and other parts of Asia) and also more recently from the influence of totalitarian ideas (25 years ago crowds in mainland China were even worse.)

It has improved greatly over the years, but it will take a long time for old norms of behavior to change. The behavior of most of China now is more like that of the Hong Kongers of 20 years ago, which is a huge positive change in such a short time. I think most Chinese aspire to create a more civil society for themselves, as do most people in the world.

• Reply 34 of 66
    c'mon, man, in other places maybe people treat you as rare species, but in beijing, you were just treated like a normal human being. you should not feel very bad about it, should you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mortarman View Post

• Reply 35 of 66
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I feel sorry for normal customers who have to miss out, because of the scalpers.

Will it become Apple's pattern in China, to launch online first for a few months, and only then launch physically?
  • Reply 36 of 66
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    I am aware of the existence of cultural differences between East and West, but never knew they were so vast as to include the concept of time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

<...>

Apple retail staff at the Sanlitun Apple Store in Beijing put signs out Friday afternoon with a note saying, "This store will not be selling the iPhone in the recent future."

<...>

Isn't the recent future the same as the present?
  • Reply 37 of 66
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    This is not going to be politically correct yet I would say it is not racist... but Ethnic Chinese simply have issues when it comes to civility and ethics. I'm not saying everyone, but around the world, we (I'm half ethnic Chinese) are now brought up in ways that sometimes do not put the right value on etiquette and so on. Mainland China itself is reputed to be a real basket case. My childhood friend who is 100% ethnic Chinese but of Malaysian nationality simply doesn't want to go back there after working in Shanghai for over 5 years. Again, not everyone, but as someone with Chinese heritage I am concerned of how we are perceived in Western countries, let alone Asia itself.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I am aware of the existence of cultural differences between East and West, but never knew they were so vast as to include the concept of time.

Isn't the recent future the same as the present?

What they mean to say is the "We will not be selling iPhone 4S in the near future".

Yes, a translation hiccup. Very common in Asia. Not a concept-of-time issue as such.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Too bad there's so much trouble for iPhone sales. Getting an iPhone should be a happy occasion. In the U.S. the crowds and lines seem rather tame and civil. i've only been to a couple of Apple store openings and everyone around me seemed to be having a grand old time. I'd always heard that American were the pushy and forceful ones and the Chinese are into some calm Zen space.

Easiest thing I can say is don't believe the Kung Fu movies or panda-related animation. There is virtually nothing in modern ethnic Chinese life that is related to ancient wisdom except slavishly following certain traditions to "save face". Again I am truly dissapointed so far in what I have seen of ethnic Chinese in many cities I've been to.

Quote:

Malaysia is not as bad as Vietnam but of late Kuala Lumpur is a horror story. Forget the road, motorbikes just go on the pavement if they like. And yes, road signs and red lights at night are indeed just laughable suggestions. Enforcement? Virtually non-existent, if a cop pulls you over you just slip a few fiddy notes between his summons book. Parking fines by city councils are apparently ignored because they somehow can't be enforced or something like that which I never figured out. Only police fines (in the rare cases where bribery does not happen because of the cop or the driver or because of speed cameras etc) are payable.

Despite being as safe as possible in Malaysia the past five years, returning to Australia, I'm noticing a lot of bad habits I've accumulated which is out of character with the locals (except for hoons and bogans... even then they are not too horrible during the day).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alolkoy View Post

Uh, Chinese are calm and Zen. That's a laugh. The Chinese are some of the rudest, pushiest, dirtiest people I have ever come across! Come spend a week out here with me in San Francisco, and you'll have a change of thought!

Yeah, the Chinese in San Francisco don't represent the best of us except for the younger generation that was either born in the US or immigrated when young.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I remember here in Palo Alto, when I was buying my iPad 2 on launch day, a clean-cut white kid who's family is probably part of the 1% was walking around trying to sell a couple iPads to people waiting in line for $150 over MSRP, and he was even overtly rude about it, like we somehow owed it to him to buy it.

I haven't the SLIGHTEST doubt in my mind that if I had related this story to you outside of this context you would have called him a "young entrepreneur" or an equally fragile justification. But do you feel like this kid should be put in the hospital? I think he even had blue eyes for christ's sake, what a tragedy THAT would be!

This comment is racist, as are a few of your others, and I am surprised that there isn't any moderation, apparently, on this forum.

(For the record, I am an upper middle class white man.)

As I proposed earlier there's nothing here that is racist, merely politically incorrect. The post you are referring to said that scalpers are lowlifes and there were a lot of Chinese scalpers in New York during the launch (there's clear evidence of this). He did not say that Chinese are lowlifes.

I know I smack of "if you're black you can use the N word" but like I said, having half Chinese ancestry, there's nothing here that surprised me. It's just that now mainland China is the focus of so much interest, that we see the worst of the culture. Chinese immigrants to all other parts of the world have adapted, improved and played positive roles in various countries over the past few centuries, but whatever is going on in mainland China (I've never been, but I've heard a lot from Malaysian Chinese and others)... is just bizarre but also disturbing.

Probably the last nail in the coffin for communism by the way, just doesn't seem to be right for humankind.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm just curious why Apple wouldn't have met their goal...

Because China is an insane place. Let this be a cautionary note to all the world governments saying "we should be more like China and do well like them". At what price?