Apple postpones China retail launch of iPhone 4S after unruly crowd rages in Beijing [u]

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

just to even things out, when i'm in line this year for my [6th-generation iPhone] i will punch the chinese person standing next to me.

Yeah, that's an appropriate response.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 801 View Post

I would think that this does not bode well for chinese culture in the long run.

My thoughts also. Does anyone remember the news article about the chinese toddler that was run over by a truck and no one stopped to help her? They kept walking right past her and a second vehicle hit her also. She didn't make it, but it makes you wonder how well Communism teaches morality to the people. I have always thought that it is actually morals learned at church and home that allow a society to advance.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

My thoughts also. Does anyone remember the news article about the chinese toddler that was run over by a truck and no one stopped to help her? They kept walking right past her and a second vehicle hit her also. She didn't make it, but it makes you wonder how well Communism teaches morality to the people. I have always thought that it is actually morals learned at church and home that allow a society to advance.

True communism has never existed. China has never been a Communist nation. No Communist nation has truly been a Communist nation.

Also political ideologies don't really attempt to touch morality.
  • Reply 64 of 66
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SixnaHalfFeet View Post

As the say about living in glass houses…

Quote:

Dying man left on pavement for two hours as shoppers walk around him

Last updated at 6:32 PM on 24th May 2010

Shoppers walked past a dying man as he lay helpless on the pavement.

The man, in his 50s, was slumped outside a busy row of shops in Eastfield Road, Peterborough,for nearly two hours before someone finally came to his aid.

A passer-by eventually dialled 999 after approaching the man to see if he needed help.

Good Samaritan Left for Dead on City Sidewalk[/URL]

April 25, 2010

On a Queens, N.Y., sidewalk last Sunday…a woman is followed by a man, who then appears to accost her.

Tale-Yax walks toward them. What can't be seen is him being stabbed several times in the torso while trying to save the woman. Within seconds, the camera captures the apparent attacker running away.

A minute later, a potential good Samaritan walks right by. And so does the next person and the one after that. A procession of more than 20 people seem to notice and fail to help. One man pulls out his cell phone, but instead of dialing 911, he snaps a picture. Another man nudges Tale-Yax, rolls him over twice, seems to see blood, but then walks away. For nearly an hour and a half, Tale-Yax lay there until someone finally called for help.

N.Y. Isn't First City Where Bystanders Ignore Injured Man

Sadly, what that New York security camera captured has been seen before.

In Seattle in January, a 15-year-old girl was brutally beaten, knocked unconscious and robbed by a group of teenagers while three security guards stood by and watched.

In Hartford, Conn., a 78-year-old man was hit by a car as he crossed a street in 2008. The driver never stopped. A total of 10 vehicles drove by as he laid in the middle of the road, bleeding from the head.

…in Washington, D.C., in 2003, a man was shot at a gas station. Instead of calling for help, the witness finished pumping kerosene into a can, paid and drove off.

But then again, you may be right, i.e., obviously, they are must have undergone communist teaching.
  • Reply 65 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

It's not the people, it's the institution. Beijing is the capital of China, and it's basically a place in which rule of law means nothing, and only the strong (in terms of political influence) rule. That's why lot's of people there have no manner - because there's no incentive to have manner. If you're the strong one, you get whatever you want, no need to be nice. If you're the weak one, you have to 'look tough' by being rude and aggressive because that's the only thing left to defend yourself from the rulers.

That rationale breaks down in so many places it's not even worth trying to address it.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stniuk View Post

in other news microsoft has been dragging people into it's store......

+1!!!