Apple employee says upcoming iPad 3 to have "truly amazing" screen

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

It's a thousand television series in your (big-ass) pocket.

Ah, Microsoft has the corner on that adjective market, I think.

Cue link to parody Surface video from 2007.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

True, but the addition of more cores assumes that software can distribute tasks across the cores. Just like the difference in i7 and i5 processors. If the application is not multi-threaded, then there is no difference. So, my assumption is that iOS wasn't designed for this kind of multi-threaded environment. And certainly no current apps can take advantage. Now maybe I am wrong about the way iOS is written, but it would seem to me that you would need an iOS update to come with a processor core change in order to take advantage, but as I said, I could be wrong.

There was evidence found in iOS 5.1 betas that show support for 4 cores.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Finding out the it's not going to be called 'iPad 3' is going to be nowhere near as painful as discovering it's actually called 'iTV'

The new Apple will only be called iTV if it's IP-based, if it's cable they'll call it EyeTV.

Yeah, slash s
  • Reply 44 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

There was evidence found in iOS 5.1 betas that show support for 4 cores.

Then maybe we will see a simultaneous release of 5.1 and iPad 3. Just the retina display will be enough for me as I am still rocking the iPad (haven't felt the need for the iPad 2).
  • Reply 45 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

Just like the difference in i7 and i5 processors.

Not exactly. I have an i7 and when I bought it a while ago there was also an i5 available and they were both Quad core. The difference between the two was that the i7 had hyperthreading and that's an Intel only thing, which basically doubles the cores, giving you 8 virtual cores instead of 4 actual cores.
  • Reply 46 of 84
    Those janitors at Apple should learn to keep their traps shut.
  • Reply 47 of 84
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I've held off getting any tablet for this. I want a screen that's closer to HD and an HD front-facing cam.
  • Reply 48 of 84
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    I think a fold-up 24" screen would be great.

Skip
  • Reply 49 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

Just give us an onboard USB port and expand the iOS USB and bluetooth API to allow more devices to work with it (like mouse for Remote Desktop connections, Gamepads for gaming, bluetooth api for data exchange for custom I/O apps, etc). That would make a lot of developers happy and users when the apps start rolling in taking advantage of the new APIs.

No. You're going to get an improved Home button and a smoother-feeling volume rocker. Your demands are too much for Apple to handle.
  • Reply 50 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Supporting USB and Bluetooth well just opens up the IPad to a whole new world of apps and uses. NotE limited support is already there, all we are suggesting is that Apple loosens it grip.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Not gonna happen. Are you one of the people who is still waiting on Blueray to come to Macs?

You need to improve your imagination, there are many uses for iPad beyond what is current permitted.
  • Reply 51 of 84
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It will likely be years, like more than 20, before the USB dies. USB is much more than a port to connect a printer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It has one. Stop complaining. You will never see a USB-A port on an iPad.

It is not complaint it is a legitimate request for enhanced functionality. Just because the narrow minded can grasp why enhanced USB and Bluetooth support is desired does not mean it is complaining.

Quote:

USB is dead.

• Reply 52 of 84
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Each of these is currently available and Apple is technologically able to give us each of this things. Right now. In the new iPad HD.

I'm thinking "iPad HD" is a pretty good call for what Apple will actually name it. It makes a clear, easily grasped distinction between it and the iPad 2, particularly useful if Apple does, in fact, keep selling that model at a lower price point. iPad for less money, iPad HD if you want to splurge.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You need to improve your imagination, there are many uses for iPad beyond what is current permitted.

I believe that you are addressing the wrong person. I am well aware of the many uses that an iPad can be used for and there are certainly many more uses to come. I already hook up Midi Keyboards to my iPad via USB and sometimes via Wifi.

However, I also have a pretty good understanding of what Apple's philosophy is and I also have my two feet planted firmly on the ground and I base my comments on reality, not on fantasy. People making ridiculous suggestions that they know will never happen is not called having an imagination, it's called being ridiculous.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    I have repeatedly insisted that Apple isn't ready this year to release an iPad with a retina-like display. I would be thrilled to wind up being wrong and there has been so much pointing to a high resolution display that I guess it's reasonable to expect that I will be. Still, it would not be a shock, per se, if the display isn't as rumoured.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I have repeatedly insisted that Apple isn't ready this year to release an iPad with a retina-like display.

In what way (does this make any sense)? Other than supply of said panels, this doesn't make any sense to say. People expected it on the iPad 2, and that wasn't unreasonable, save for the EXTREME lack of supply.
  • Reply 56 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A variety of efforts to duplicate Apple's success with iPad have failed, ranging from Microsoft's decade long Tablet PC, its 2006 Origami / UMPC project lead by Samsung, its 2010 Windows 7 Slate PC it partnered with HP to launch, HP's own Palm webOS based tablet last year alongside RIM's PlayBook and Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb disaster, as well as third party attempts to turn Android 2.x smartphones into tablet-like devices.

Why is it necessary to include a slam on MS or anyone else in what is, otherwise, a positive article on the iPad?

I am as much an Apple fan as anyone... But I find that this sort of reporting lowers the value of the article to the prostituted bias of the author.

• Reply 57 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You'd need a little over 14 iPhone displays to equal the display area of one 13" MBP display.
    3.5" 3:2(1.5) = 5.65"sq (2.9" x 1.9")

9.7" 4:3(1.33) = 45.19"sq (7.8"\tx 5.8")

13.3" 16:10(1.60) = 79.5"sq (11.3" x 7")
    PS: You want me to figure out my iPhones can fit inside a box of Total?

A box of Depends would be of more use to some here...
  • Reply 58 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darrylk1 View Post

Hmmm... iPad 3D?

IPad][///2e3GSplus
  • Reply 59 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

It will likely be years, like more than 20, before the USB dies. USB is much more than a port to connect a printer.

It is not complaint it is a legitimate request for enhanced functionality. Just because the narrow minded can grasp why enhanced USB and Bluetooth support is desired does not mean it is complaining.

How about we put the USB port just next to the Thunderbolt port and remove the 802.11ac chip for you?

Would that make you happy?
  • Reply 60 of 84
    WOT...

I just wanted to post this somewhere today...

Quote:

"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing;

when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors;

when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you.

you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand -