Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Reply 281 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

Do you really think Apple isn't the company that started this forest fire? The entire industry is in retaliation mode. ALL of these suits are reaching the pinnacle of absurdity.

Well, in the sense that Apple disrupted a practically ossified handset industry by entering it with the iPhone, then you would be right.

By revolutionizing the upper-end market (where the profits were), and carving out a huge part of it for themselves, Apple threw establishment into panic mode. Jpbs estimated that it would take five years for the industry to catch up, and that's what it has taken MS and Nokia, and RIM if they don't die first.

Only Android, by using Apple's patents illegally, was able to jump in quickly. You will notice that only Android phone makers have suffered under Apple's suits, so where it may look like a forest fire to you, it is a very selective burn.

And it's a very controlled burn too. Apple is burning back the Android competition about as fast as Apple is building up its own production.

If I were to guess, I would expect 2013 to see one huge market share for Apple and the rest of the market served by Nokia with WM8, Samsung's Bada, and maybe one more small player. MotoMo and RIM most likely gone from the Phone business, and Google will be shoveling money out the back door to Apple and Oracle.

The smoke will clear and the fires will no longer be set.
  • Reply 282 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

We haven't started basing the opinion of an entire class of OS fans on the postings of just one have we?

Nah, not just one. But the data points are consistently racking up in favor of that hypothesis, and are beginning to scream out for a conclusion.
  • Reply 283 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

You're only referring to the point about the success of Google search.... blah blah....

I wasn't.

Ugh. Go away.
  • Reply 284 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who knows, maybe some Android tablet will eventually come out with some sort of Hi-Res screen too, I wouldn't be surprised by that, as they all follow in Apple's footsteps,

The big news for the Transformer family is a new version of the Prime with a high-density display. Yep, Asus has beaten Apple to the punch, at least publicly. The Transformer Prime TF700 features a 10" IPS panel with a 1920x1200 display resolution.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/22284
  • Reply 285 of 448
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I wasn't.

Ugh. Go away.

I'm starting to suspect that he's not a real doctor...
  • Reply 286 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yeah. And what's up with this 'Doppio' thing - the only 'doppio' I've heard about is when baristas use it to refer to the double shot.

Hmmmm...... I am beginning to think that Samsung may have a bigger barista problem than Apple does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkH9Hgvda4

• Reply 287 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The big news for the Transformer family is a new version of the Prime with a high-density display. Yep, Asus has beaten Apple to the punch, at least publicly. The Transformer Prime TF700 features a 10" IPS panel with a 1920x1200 display resolution.

Yea!!!!!

And, how many did they sell?
  • Reply 288 of 448
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

Do you really think Apple isn't the company that started this forest fire? The entire industry is in retaliation mode. ALL of these suits are reaching the pinnacle of absurdity.

I'll go along with saying Apple started the problem by inventing the iPhone--which revolutionized the mobile industry--and patenting it like crazy.

But an informed, rational person would say Goople started the real problem, by aiding infringement of Apple's intellectual property. Goople made the obvious determination that the iPhone would quickly lead "search" (and hence, ad revenue) into the mobile arena. Goople is desperate to achieve growth and stem any losses. Infringing on the intellectual property rights of others is an old habit with Goople, but Apple is more prepared and represents a more united front to Goople's assault than Goople has ever experienced before.

I say, tough sh!t
  • Reply 289 of 448
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

I wasn't.

Ugh. Go away.

That seems to be your typical reply when you are unable to conduct an argument.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

You're wrong. Kindly mind your own business.

Quote:

Yeah. And what's up with this 'Doppio' thing - the only 'doppio' I've heard about is when baristas use it to refer to the double shot.

Oh, what a shocker, I may not be using my real name when posting on discussion boards... I don't make fun of your screen name, so leave mine alone. But then again, what's to expect when you don't have any real arguments...
  • Reply 290 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

.... what's to expect when you don't have any real arguments...

I don't waste an iota of my time explaining the obvious to anyone. Least of all, Androiders.

If you can't see what the original point and counterpoint were, you can stew in it. Or not.
  • Reply 291 of 448
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:

The whole point to the patent system is that the issue of a patent confers certain rights. Consider the definition below. From what authority do you think it was sourced?

...a government authority to an individual or organization conferring a right or title, esp. the sole right to make, use, or sell some invention:

Apple is within its rights to defend its patents and to do so with vigour. This is business. However, Apple has claimed in court (as others are free to do) that the right to assert a patent individually and separately might under certain circumstances become exhausted. One circumstance is where a patent was pledged to a standards body for protection under FRAND terms. If this were not available, then tens of thousands of patents covering the minutiae of the functioning of every single modern (manufactured) system would either need to be defended or licensed individually, or more likely, be indefensible due to cost. In fact, the principal argument that I have with the patent system as it exists, is the usually prohibitive cost of their defence and the consequent loss of rights experienced by lesser parties. I wouldn't be at all surprised either, that many of the so-called patent trolls that are often criticised on A.I. are representing parties who simply could not afford to defend their intellectual property otherwise.

Apple suing to protect its IP is what is expected under the existing system of patents and proper.

Regards.
  • Reply 292 of 448
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Well in the sense of parading a future product, yes. But, to quote from the same source:

"This latest addition to the Transformer family is set to become available midway through the second quarter of 2012."

When is the iPad3 expected?
  • Reply 293 of 448
    The personal attacks here are way out of hand, particularly when

it's so much more satisfying to poke fun at the ridiculous behavior of MMI and GOOG.
  • Reply 294 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just a so-so first post troll. We'll give you another week or so to get your act together but then we take the gloves off.

I'm sure he's terrified now!

BTW, as a former iPhone user and current Galaxy Nexus owner I can confirm from actual experience that the Galaxy Nexus is a FAR superior phone.
  • Reply 295 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

BTW, as a former iPhone user and current Galaxy Nexus owner I can confirm from actual experience that the Galaxy Nexus is a FAR superior phone.

Yes, the time required to configure and coddle the GN is FAR superior to the iPhone, as are the software incompatibility problems, security and privacy risks, camera graininess, and battery death.
  • Reply 296 of 448
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh hey look it's a "reasonable" troll who only wants what's best for everyone. Yeah, that iPhone that came out of nowhere and completely changed the phone industry? Just better marketing, but hey! That's cool! My hat's off to them!

And iOS, which is now ushering an enormous sea-change for computing in general via the iPad, one that is toppling incumbents and shaking the industry to the core? Sort of out of steam, unfortunately, and just copying shit, at this point. But I wish it wasn't! On account of I like technology!

I mean obviously Google would have done all this stuff anyway, at some point, Apple just sort of blundered into the next big thing a little early, is all (and don't forget the marketing!), so honestly, how can they think to hang onto it for themselves? Bad form, Apple, hope you come to your senses!

It sure is unfortunate that all this cool shit keeps landing in the labs of those greedy slackers over at Apple. It would be much better if it started with say, Google! The people that brought you ways to extract ad money out of every internet transaction! Because they're much cooler.

I wasn't sure how to respond to his blatantly silly and trollish post, so decided not to. But you fucking nailed it. I love his 'Apple is out of steam, their products copy everyone, they only know how to market, can't compare to android, etc- but I wish it wasn't so, I like them, and am rooting for them to get it right!'. Pathetic. I wish people like him would just troll honestly, instead of making such an effort to pretend they're being objective, and are just so saddened to admit that Apple can't compete and is pretty much done for. But hey, he owns an iPod touch and Apple stock!
  • Reply 297 of 448
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:

But unlike that tablet and others that will be satisfied with slapping such a screen on the device and calling it a day, Apple will no doubt be unveiling a whole host of software and possibly OS applications and enhancements that will instantly leverage and take full advantage of this increased resolution.
  • Reply 298 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple's really been getting busy on the legal front these past few days.

I fully support their offensive and it's time to step up the blitzkrieg and take no prisoners.

Really??? Because what we as consumer's really need is a market without competing products ... <sigh>

I used a Galaxy Nexus for a couple of weeks. It's a nice device. It's not remotely similar to my iPhone 4S ... Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) is not remotely similar to iOS. Between the OS and the device itself, it couldn't be more different. I don't get where Apple thinks they have any grounds for an injunction.

IMHO, Apple will never be granted this injunction and, as a shareholder, it infuriates me to see them wasting more money on lawsuits that are contradictory to the greater good. Apple should compete through innovation, not through underhanded litigation. This injunction hurts *everyone* except Apple.

I love Apple products, I'm a shareholder, but I must say, Apple's litigiousness is really starting to rub me the wrong way.
  • Reply 299 of 448
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

That really great to hear.

No, really!

Let's hope your superior experience continues after the next Android update.

You will be getting another Android update for that model, won't you?
  • Reply 300 of 448
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Well, in the sense that Apple disrupted a practically ossified handset industry by entering it with the iPhone, then you would be right.

By revolutionizing the upper-end market (where the profits were), and carving out a huge part of it for themselves, Apple threw establishment into panic mode. Jpbs estimated that it would take five years for the industry to catch up, and that's what it has taken MS and Nokia, and RIM if they don't die first.

Only Android, by using Apple's patents illegally, was able to jump in quickly. You will notice that only Android phone makers have suffered under Apple's suits, so where it may look like a forest fire to you, it is a very selective burn.

And it's a very controlled burn too. Apple is burning back the Android competition about as fast as Apple is building up its own production.

If I were to guess, I would expect 2013 to see one huge market share for Apple and the rest of the market served by Nokia with WM8, Samsung's Bada, and maybe one more small player. MotoMo and RIM most likely gone from the Phone business, and Google will be shoveling money out the back door to Apple and Oracle.

The smoke will clear and the fires will no longer be set.

well you totally missed the point. Much of the Apple IP is a sham. If Apple did anything right, it was filing trivial (likely to be invalidated in due time) patents and jumping into the lawsuit business early. You Apple guys having been declaring Android doom for years now while the platform's momentum has continued regardless. I don't buy the stolen OS droning, whilst understanding that much of Apple's IP was stolen from other companies in the first place. If i were to guess, Android will continue to thrive and companies will continue to sue each other.